It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
yeah i dont think violence in video games is an issue, but parents buying their kids adult video games is. Would parents buy alcohol to their 12 year old kids? no. So why do they buy their kids video games that are rated M and no one under 18 should buy it. It's not the video games that are the issue its the lack of responsibility of the parents. P.S. violent video games do not cause school shootings.....period.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
There was recently an interview on NPR with a researcher who did a study that showed that violent video games may actually be a good thing for boys and teens. It was a study done by Harvard.

The study by doctors Lawrence Kutner and Cheryl Olsen also suggests that teenagers that don’t play any computer games are at a greater risk of being involved in antisocial activities.

Full article here.

I play WoW, cast spells and such, find hawt lewt. I'm against all forms of violence in the real world.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
HAH...Funny story...

Back in like 01' when GTA 3 came out, i was living with my mother and little sister who was 5 at the time. Shes really smart and was very good with computers and stuff. Well i was in my room one day, and i guess she figured out how to get the playstation running and she had GTA 3 going. I walked out in the living room, and saw her playing GTA 3. I was like "HEY! What are you doing?!!! You cant play that game!!". She responded "BUT IM KILLING HIM, I GOTTA GET HIS MONEY!". I then noticed she was beating the crap out of this bum that was already laying there dead. I turned the game off and hid it, returning to my room to LMAO at what i just witnessed.

She turned out just fine BTW..lol

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I think games like these are ridiculous. Just what society needs, more extreme violence... that you can actively participate in!

Of course it's rated mature, and of course, the MAIN base of players WILL be younger kids. You really think most stores even care about the M title? They should, but they don't.

And while many kids are already unstable, this does not help at all. While YOUR family may be well-controlled, mature, and your kids never playing an M rated game, that won't be much comfort, when some kid from another family that doesn't care about such restrictions, thinks it's amusing to bring a chainsaw to school and cuts your kid up into little bits.

I just don't see the point of such games. I DO play games, and I have plenty with some violence, but I don't play any game whose only point IS the violence. This games only point is to kill, hurt, and destory other humans in the most violent way possible. This sort of game shouldn't even exist, imo. Not only from the aspect of making unstable kids go over the edge (or unstable adults for that matter), but because there is no finer or faster way to impose further restrictions on the industry than to release crap like this. I don't like the thought of gaming becoming even more regulated due to crap like this.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic

Is this the state we have fallen to? I mean seriously. And just thinking about children playing this. No wonder we have school shootings. Such a violent world is it not?

Theatrics and special effects always seem to making awful and otherwise sick things cool. Media distortion IMHO is completely tweaking our lifestyle and this is just another way.

Anyway thought this was worth reading and could not find another thread about it.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

You're right, we should outlaw this kind of thing.
But lets not stop there, lets let you make a judgement on all the movies, TV, books, magazines, talk show content, poems, songs, albums and all other created media content and you can pass judgement for all of us.

NO parents needed, no "M" stickers for Mature content, no warnings needed, you can clean it all up before it gets to the brains of our innocent children.

That would make it so much easier.

I mean I know everytime I play call of duty it makes me want to climb a building and start sniping innocent people just to see more heads explode.. if only you could have been there for me...

Thanks for taking the initiative!!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Finally a game that isn't going to patronise wii gamers.

This actually looks quite good and i admire the style of graphics, a kind of cyberpunk black and white comic style.

This thread has been amusing, as i'm sure some people believe violence has only ever occured since computer games.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

Most likely children who play violent video games have uncaring and absent parents. And that is the cause of their problems.
90% of Wii games are very tame and children friendly.

So i am surprised that this is for Wii.

Usually the adult stuff goes to playstation.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I find it a positive development that this game is being made. I hope every child that wants to play this can. We don't have school shootings because of videogames, rap music, rock music, ect. We have shootings because, shocker, the kids aren't happy. Violent videogames doesn't lead to a violent world.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Finally a game that isn't going to patronise wii gamers.

This actually looks quite good and i admire the style of graphics, a kind of cyberpunk black and white comic style.

This thread has been amusing, as i'm sure some people believe violence has only ever occured since computer games.

I watched a trailer for it, although it looks intriguing, I am not a fan of poor graphics. I recently got the Xbox 360 and I am much more of a fan of that console. The Wii is fun to play on but the only games on it that I have really enjoyed extensively were Metroid, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4. I think there should be more adult titles on the Wii.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Guns don't kill people, and neither do video games. Anyone who'd use this game as an excuse to hurt someone was already mentally challenged.

reply to post by fleabit

The point of such games is to help adults relieve stress.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Little known fact, all wars are due to violent video games!

Give me a break.

But I DO find it a bit scary that we consider them entertainment.
Why is that?
Just human nature?

I have a theory on that, and it's because we can do things there that you can't do in real life (at least not without serious repercussions). Nobody wants to play a game where you work all day and then go home and pay your bills, you already do that on a daily basis.

I have been playing video games for quite a while, and almost all of them have some sort of violence in them. Even driving games often times you can help yourself out quite a bit by bashing into other cars. Super Mario was violent. Sonic the hedgehog was violent. How many games rated M can you find that are NOT violent? I'm guessing you could count all of them on one hand.

I guess since I have been playing violent video games since hell...Thexder even, on the apple II gs, and then wolfenstein, doom, etc. that I must be a violent person about to go on a murderous rampage any second and I don't even know it. Good thing I found this thread to let me know!

Blaming violence on video games is ignorant. People just are not willing to take responsibility for their own actions, it is NOT the games fault.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

As I have already explained, you have the right to consume as much imaginary violence for your entertainment as you wish.

But you do NOT have a right to be free of the mere opinions of others.

Originally posted by loam

Ditto.

OK then. That's fine.

Have a nice day.

Peace.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimpish

Haha yeah, even pokemon is violent!

Those poor pokemon.....

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Yup, and I don't think that video games are even the place to start. At least those have ratings. Why not complain about cartoons? Most parents let their kids watch all manner of cartoons. I watched Tom & Jerry when I was a kid, that was violent. So were a ton of other cartoons, smurfs, popeye, and the list goes on and on.

Still, with most TV's and/or DVR's now a days you can block out pretty much any show you want. Pretty much the same as a video game, if you don't want your kid playing/watching it, don't let them. You are the parent, you get to make the rules.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Its about desensitizing people. They use this technique in the military and the wii is mostly played by children. Its not that most will go off on the nut but the ones that have borderline tendency will find it a bit easier to kill after killing so many in such a violent way.

In Michigan we call it buck fever. When you finally get the Deer in your sites you just cant kill it because you are not used to killing. After the first kill its easy.

These games take away that "Buck Fever" by being in the first person pov and killing. Also a lot of parents will let the children play because they have the attitude of its not real and explain to the kids this is not real and feel satisfied after many responses from the child that the child knows its not real. They themselves slowly get desensitized by other mature rated games that to them dont seem that bad and soon they pay no attention to what the kids play.

How else do you think a game company can recoup the investment? There are not enough adults playing Wii to warrent such a game investment.

They count on thousands of parents buying this game for the kids.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

www.telegraph.co.uk

Players in MadWorld use chainsaws, spiked clubs, daggers and spears to execute victims.

They can impale their enemies on road signs, fry them on electrical sockets and rip out their hearts.

A challenge called 'human darts' sees players pick up Madworld citizens and hurl them onto giant spiked dartboard.

Sega, publishers of the game, said it is "tipped to be the most violent video game in history".
(visit the link for the full news article)

really? on the Wii.

All that means to me is that if a family/ kid friendly system is doing this, then they are trying to draw people from the Xbox 360 market and the PS3 market ( if there still is one )

Seems like this game would be on a 360.

It's not the worst game..

Remember that thread about the game where all you do is rape your victims.

That is 10 times worse than any ANIMATED death of a FAKE person.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

That is 10 times worse than any ANIMATED death of a FAKE person.

10 times worse? I'm not sure what is worse, rape or murder?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

Have you seen the prices on some of those console games? The real crime is the price tag!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
It's about time we get a few more other type of games for the wii.

Oh oh oh!!!

I wonder If I can use the Nunchuks to imitate the motion of stabbing a person to death with a street sign?!?!?!

Ohhhh I want this game... Luckily I'm old enough to buy it!

hmmm... I wonder what I would be driven to do to others after playing this game (after all I make all of my decisions based on the media I surround myself in, for Example *points to TinFoil Hat* I didn't start sporting this until I started hanging out with you guys...)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join