It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

*You don't have to watch violent television or films. You don't have to play or participate in needlessly violent games or actions.... You are not forced to do these things.

I also don't have to avoid it. There is two sides to every coin, I don't feel like ignoring the other side, I might miss out on something.

This is not the point I was trying to make. I don't care if anybody want to ignore all forms of entertainment that may contain some form of violence, that's up to them, good for them.

I just don't like when people judge me and others for my "choice", I don't like that whatever they do not agree with should "disturb" them, in my opinion that's the "fear" talking.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BriggsBU
I'm just arguing that they are no more harmful than an action packed R rated movie.

Good.

You are admitting that violent video games are just as harmful (but not more) as R-rated movies. That is a start.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I'm just arguing that they are no more harmful than an action packed R rated movie.

Good.

You are admitting that violent video games are just as harmful (but not more) as R-rated movies. That is a start.

Well, since I don't think R-rated movies are harmful, then that means violent games aren't harmful either

Nice attempt to twist my words, though.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic
Is this the state we have fallen to? I mean seriously. And just thinking about children playing this.

This video game is obviously made for adults. Now if children are playing it, who's to blame - the video game or the parents who bought the game?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Nice attempt to twist my words, though.

You set the par for the course. ;-)

I'm just playing the game you started.

*Such as your incorrect association of the Format with the Content, done apurpose - which is extremely disingenuous:

"The military also uses movies, books, pamphlets, and speech to train soldiers. Is anyone throwing a fit over these? No."

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Edit: I see you edited your post twice, and after I made this one. Could you please refrain to back-editing for the purposes of rendering future rebuttals moot. . . It is poor form.

Not that I care, it's just bad form. And the other members have a right to know what has occurred(so they can know what to expect when engaging you in further debate)

Thanks in advance.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Exuberant1]

What? I only recall editing to add more to it. I have not changed anything. I also did not see your post until after finishing.

Thanks for trying to make me look bad.

p.s I have a habit of editing spelling mistakes.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
But some people did throw a fit over "America's Army".

You know the game that was funded by the ARMY, made to be a sort of recruitment tool.

I have played it as well.... can't say it ever made me want to join the armed forces.

I just do not feel a GAME can ever make anyone do something they never thought about doing before in the first place.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

I played the game too. Was an alright shooter, but I never had any urge to go join the army either.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
This reminds me of the first time that I played Vice City (On the PS2) with a friend, and he walked up to an Old Lady in the game and blew her away with a Shotgun. We started cracking up in shock, and he just ran around the entire game blowing away everyone lol.

We are hardly violent individuals though, and of course we just knew that it was a game.

Some people however ARE heavily influenced by such, and it is them that I do worry about in these matters.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Come on Afro Samurai has Body Part Poker where you focus on cutting off just arms and legs. Of course GTA IV is great. Type a number, get the missile launcher, and blow stuff up. Man Hunt Anyone?

Also, Nintendo finally found out people older then eight play video games? About time.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Kids like that - they love violence.

Sad but true.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
There's a reason the game is rated M for mature.

Children shouldnt be playing it.

How can anyone playing this "game" be considered "mature"?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bvproductions
Wow.

Did anyone here take the time to actually check out how this game looks?
It's very cartoony... with black and white style graphics. The only thing that has color is blood.

It has ridiculous, violent gameplay... but it's no where near as realistic as many other games.

This game is no worse than Mortal Kombat which came out many, many years ago.
Same violence, different style.

And as people keep saying... If you aren't old enough to play it, then don't play it. If you're a crappy parent... start being a better parent!
Plain and simple.

And if you are a responsible manufacturer of video games, quit making this kind of crap.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by aero56]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by butane bob

True and hopefully the parents will have the necessary discretion to not allow their kids to play this. But realistically many will be able to get a hold of it.

Should not be on the market at all.

Kids can download violent movies? should we ban movies?
Kids can kill anyone they want with a kitchen knife. Quick kitchen knives should be outlawed!!!

And just thinking about children playing this. No wonder we have school shootings. Such a violent world is it not?

Parents shouldn't be letting their kids play these games should they?, there're reason why games classifications have RESTRICTED ratings. And don't you think the fact that everyone has guns is the reason people shoot each other? not because someone played a videogame? Wake up.

If someone's mental enough to shoot someone they're going to do it regardless of wether or not they play games (or listen to heavy metal music etc).

I get so sick of this. It's time for the maufacturer's of this type of video "game" to take responsibility and stop producing this type of 'game". They put it out there, rated or not, and then their responsibility ceases. It's then the responsibility of the parents. Yes, it is. I agree with that. But everyone needs to take responsibility to keep our society civil. It may be a cartoonish "game", but the idea is still the same. Anyone who gets a thrill or has fun "killing" off people in a video game, already has emotional issues, and that includes adults.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Yes, these violent games are sending our boys nuts.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
reply to post by N3krostatic

I think what must be remembered here is that even adults shouldn't playing these games. I mean are they going to soon allow games where you can rape a women and have fun doing it?

Do you mean like this one?

Originally posted by aero56
How can anyone playing this "game" be considered "mature"?

Just because somebody is playing games, doesn't mean they're not also mature. Games are meant for entertainment in a similar way to how TV or sports are.
By saying people who play any games aren't mature, you'd also be insinuating that people who watch TV or play sports aren't mature too.

[edit on 20/3/2009 by doogle]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Study by TAMIU Professor Finds No Link
Between Violent Video Games and Aggression

No link between agression and video games

Not the first study to come to that conclusion.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm surprised this is creating such debate. I thought it was obvious that psychopaths stem from poor, unloved childhoods and through ignorant and abusive parents.

This game is crass, boorish and irrelevant, but it isn't going to be the reason anyone kills anyone else.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56

First, ban reality if you want to "protect" kids from violence. Second, a company can produce any thing they want. If there is a target that will buy that product then they make the product for them. Why there is an M rating on it, duh. Third, you need to go play Barney's Playland or some thing if you're worried about being entertained.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

I can understand your concern, but realistically it should be pointed in another direction. Yeah, of course I've played video games for a long time like many here, and I agree children shouldn't play some of them, but violence is unfortunately ingrained in human nature. A remnant of the good old hunter-gatherer days, maybe. That's why people derive enjoyment from it, but I'd FAR rather have people play video games than be violent in real life. School shootings ARE tragic, but video games aren't the primary cause of them. Bad parenting may contribute, but it's usually due to lack of affection and social isolation. These are probably the things that drive people to obsess over video games in the first place.

Almost all forms of media are filled with violent imagery, your avatar included (as another poster pointed out). And I've easily seen things far more disturbing than any video game in movies, on the web, in person, even in books (I just finished Bag of Bones by Stephen King, and for some reason the "fountains of blood" from The Count of Monte Cristo spring to mind). I also realize that games differ in the level of interactivity. But for people to do what those shooters did takes an emotional disconnect from reality, which for 99.99999% (approximately) of the video game playing population does not occur. There's CLEARLY other factors contributing to these incidents. I'm just saying that violence can be culled from any source by someone with a sufficiently warped mind.

Anyhow, I'm digressing a bit. To me, it's more relevant to look at the big picture. How many more lives are lost in wars? (and I'm not saying all war is pointless...just most) For that matter, I'm from Baltimore, one of the more dangerous cities in the U.S. Drug violence alone in the city causes more deaths PER YEAR than all video game "related" shootings I can remember combined (VT, Columbine, the one in Germany; most others are much smaller in scale). I myself have been held up at gunpoint at my house, shot at another time, and even been carjacked. Why not end the silly "war" on drugs? I absolutely hate comparing disparate topics like this, but if it weren't for such ridiculous media coverage of school shootings, I don't know if there would be such an uproar (and besides, it gives infamy to the shooters, leading others to do it for that reason, too). I just wish more time was spent focusing on things that would serve the greater good.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join