It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt.Trakker

Originally posted by Matt.Trakker
Just one thing. Have you actually played the game? Or are you just going off the headlines?

Have you even read this thread?

Link.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
No. I did say in my first post. Have you? But its clear its all a load of crap. There's no argument. Its just another in the long line of games that use sensationalism to sell units. By doing what your doing your just giving it more acclaim. When in actual fact it a mediocre monotone 'Smash TV' slash 'Running Man' re hash. Well done. You've helped it ship another 50 thousand units. When really its a pretty rubbish game. They use this advertising to sell the damn thing. Im not harping on for the sake of the game. Its just this stupid idea that video games make people kill people. Its a load of rubbish.

[edit on 3/21/2009 by Matt.Trakker]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Its just this stupid idea that video games make people kill people. Its a load of rubbish.

Maybe it would be easier if you clicked my thread link.

I've said no such thing.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I have a query....

If video games are so dangerous to young fragile minds.. how come there has never been a shooting rampage at any Video Game Convention/tournament/championship?

I mean, you have a large group of "adolescents", who apparently by some of the posters on this forum, are the most susceptible to being influenced by "violent video games"... and yet no deaths have been reported at any of these functions.

And I am not talking about 30 person LAN's... I am referring to the events that have thousands of attendees, and yet nothing of that sort has transpired.. and I have looked.

I would think that when you have a mass gathering of this many people who play video games day in and day out.... there would be some kind of report of this type of deadly action taking place.

Just something to think about.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Loam. The thing is m8. I wasnt actually talking to you when i started. I was going off the Op. You just jumped in. Im not aware of your personal opinions and therefore i dont refer to them in any of my replies. Its more a broad opinion of the subject i think was refered to by the op. Thanks

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Loam. The thing is m8. I wasnt actually talking to you when i started.

When I read this:

Its just tree hugger pacifist arses who complain about it.

I naturally assumed you were addressing me.

I get that weak characterization a lot.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Yeh. Its just a generalisation m8. By way of getting a point across. You obv knew what i meant lol. Anyway, No offence man. I think we all know my view on the subject now...Signing off. Peace

Edit: Aha! my avatars back. March 10th huh. I missed that memo hehe

[edit on 3/21/2009 by Matt.Trakker]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
1. the games are rated by the ERSB. the game is more then likely rated "mature" which means 18+ age requirement.

2. you need I.D. to purchase these games (atleast in canada).

3. If the parents are so ignorant to what they are supplying their children, so be it.

4. violent video games do not create murderers. If you want to blame murder on things. start with rated R movies.

5. this is not the most violent game. manhunt and manhunt 2 are.

6. do a little research on # before you jump to conclusions.

7. video games are not just for kids, never have been.

8. i dont know why i am still counting.

9. i remember a study showing that people who enjoy violent videos games are less likely to become aggressive, since they get their aggression out with the games they play.

10. maybe we should get rid of books too, there are plenty of violent books without age requirements. if the child can read said book, it becomes a childrens book.

11. the OP is ignorant. deny ignorance. im going to stop reading this thread.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Many people believe the way to avoid stress and general cognitive dissonance is to channel the energy from anger more productively rather than favoring positive thought to diminish it. Anger for example has a habit of 'leaking' drop by drop if held in or ignored. Since there exists a lot of negativity in life caused by something other than yourself, one needs to recognize the responsibility of letting the anger out so as not to damage mental health, and the ability to find joy and happiness.

If for any reason you do not have the capacity to overcome your need for vengeance then the next prudent thing to do is to somehow satisfy it. Violent video games, while it can be a nasty habit, can also be a temporary solution if you are overwhelmed by the desire to wreak havoc, among other things you can do to satisfy your inner beast.

But most players are not only responsible but are completely unaffected by the vile nature of such games, and play it for the sake of reaching the conclusion of the story. Banning violent games would only serve to stifle the spread of creativity by the developers and also block diversity in the fusion of gameplay and storytelling.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Thanks for chiming in but i didn't think it needed that much intellectual grandeur. All i heard was the dude from Hellraiser II." the MIIIIIND IS A LABYRINTH..." Ha ha nice though

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Plasticity: the Neuro-Psychology term which basically supports practice makes perfect, shows that what we do often and practice effects how our neurons/brain form.

Mirror neurons: Neurons [discovered by V.S. Ramachandran at University of California at San Diego] exhibit that what we see outside of us can influence our minds, and possibly emotions, simply by viewing it!

I find it incredibly disgusting and horrific that people would practice killing people!! Especially using a Wii which means you not only play it, you actively mimic the movements - yes, actively mimic the movements of KILLING A PERSON!

Not everyone who plays these horrific games is going to act on their newly made killing memories but obviously, with weekly shootings and shooting sprees nowadays, something IS causing some people to act.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
-edit- What I do find Ironic is your avatar with a gun in its hand.. how is that bettering society?

[edit on 20-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

lol. That was my first thought. "what does this game say about the state of the world?" says the person who's avatar is a skinless man-thing with a gun.

But I agree with the original point of the thread. "Most violent game ever" is on a Nintendo system? MadWorld, indeed.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
I have a query....

If video games are so dangerous to young fragile minds.. how come there has never been a shooting rampage at any Video Game Convention/tournament/championship?

A place were people are generally happy to be there isn't much of a trigger for people with mal-formed emotional response to be violently acting out. That's why its usually schools. Or in a few cases where it was an adult, stock trading offices.

On the other hand, maybe there's never been a popular game that involves shooting up a comic book convention, or E3. ...if there were?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

I don't know... there are losers in every tournament. If "kids" are maladjusted from video games and they lose... that would be a big set-off point to me.

The point is.. that many "open influenced minds" and no mishaps, punches holes in the theory of games turning "kids" bad.

Of course, every point can be argued..... so what is the point.. Worry about your own kids "sensory input" and stop trying to govern the rest of the world's.

-edit- After searching, there was a wide distributed map for counterstrike (one of the, if not THE, most popular FPS in the past 5 years) that was an E3 convention setting... I guess that theory is blown.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I realize ATS is an entirely mainstream news source now, but it's still amazing that the majority of posters in this thread haven't stopped to question the effect video games have on their emotional state, and who is responsible for providing this sort of 'entertainment' to children. At this stage, I believe they are the number one tool of mass manipulation. You know what, I'll go one step further and say that they are incredibly insidious weapons of mind-control. I know from experience.

At Christmas of last year I purchased that horrible World of Warcraft game (perhaps even influenced by the ubiquitous internet ads - including the one always present on this particular site) and played it for a few months before I realized the damage it is capable of. I could go on and on about how I came to understand that video games are literally destroying the brains of children, but I'm sure it's been discussed here already. Needless to say, I uninstalled that garbage, and all the other games - including some shooters - I had on my PC. If you would like some personal anecdotes about this, I would be happy to share.

These new, highly compelling, completely immersive games are, in my opinion, extremely dangerous. They devalue life and promote a might-is-right, winner-take-all attitude. They offer nothing but empty achievements and wasted time. Have you ever met someone who would rather play Guitar Hero than learn to play an instrument? Think about that! And of course the fact is that most if not all 'school shootings' are perpetrated by individuals who played (or were in some cases OBSESSED) with shooting games. A society with any remaining moral integrity would have banned all violent games and punished the creators.

This MadWorld game seems to be the worst yet, and if you find yourself justifying your need to play, you may need to seriously contemplate what you have become.

I apologize if anyone is offended by what I wrote, but this has been on my mind for some time now, and I just want people to WAKE UP.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Nox Vulpes]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nox Vulpes
And of course the fact is that most if not all 'school shootings' are perpetrated by individuals who played (or were in some cases OBSESSED) with shooting games.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Nox Vulpes]

You REALLY need a citation for a statement like this. I'm pretty sure it is totally not true...

I agree with some of your points. Nice job getting rid of World of Warcraft lol

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

I may have slightly over-emphasized the role of video games in violent rampages, but the way I see it, if they influenced even one school shooter (Eric Harris himself said he was obsessed with the game Doom) we need to seriously examine the issue.

Thank you for calling me on that, though - you've inspired me to research this a little more. I'll be back with what I find.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nox Vulpes

I may have slightly over-emphasized the role of video games in violent rampages, but the way I see it, if they influenced even one school shooter (Eric Harris himself said he was obsessed with the game Doom) we need to seriously examine the issue.

The Son of Sam killer was influenced by a demon which possessed his neighbor's dog; should we therefore reexamine pet ownership? I mean, clearly if the neighbor didn't own that dog, there would have been nothing for the "demon" to speak to the guy through.

[edit on 3/22/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
If some types who are convinced that computer games (and its always ONLY games isn't it? Never violet books, movies..etc etc..) saw some of the stuf I create day to day they'd have a pink fit, declare my a spawn of satan and have me bricked up behind a wall somewhere.

So I find it ammusing that if things like this are so god damned bad for people, then I feel teh neeed to ask the following:

1 - If we should ban violent games, why stop there and ban everything containing voilence...the bible has some pretty violent bits
(Get my point yet?)

2 - Why do the more religious and leftish people fall for this type of games marketing bull time and time again? Each time they need to hype a game they pull this old stunt of getting someone from religion 'x' or organisation 'x' to say it should be banned thus increasing sales?

3 - After years creating some very warped and scary stuff (and I freely admit this as its my job and I get paid for it), I am as creator and designer of such things closer than the end user. So why have I two well balanced kids, a wife and am a very well balanced normal individual? Should I not be running round with my backside hanging out shooting kiddies at the nearest school?

4 - Why is it that society refuses to point finger fo responsibility at itself for time when some kid runs amok with a gun in a school? Why can't it be simply that society itself is at fault... that large sections of our youth are left feeling alientated and treated as 'outsiders' in a mentality where difference is not celebrated but frowned upon?

Kids that are different end up being sidelined and treated like crud by other kids, so is it a HUGE suprise when one day one snaps and thinks that 'enough is enough' and wants to 'show people' or make th suffer etc? Its not right obviously to do that, but often theres much more as a cause than simply 'little johnny played doom3 and ran round with a shotgun shooting kiddy winkies'

5 - What gives any peson the right to impose there will and beliefs on another? Don't like something like a game, book or tv show....then dont watch, read or play it. I hate shrimps..does that mean I should start a campaign for them to be banned as I find them offensive to eat? lol

Can we bring some badly needed sanity back into this sort of thing please? Just a little bit perhaps?

Wayne...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Games like this may ir may not create a propensity for violence.
But I DO find it a bit scary that we consider them entertainment.
Why is that?
Just human nature?

It's a side of human nature. not absolute human nature.

in fact I don't think we behave likehumans at all. we're more intellectual animals than anything.

the vast majority of people who play these games want a quick thrill from fast paced action that first person shooter games get.
It's no suprise the army uses them for recruitment for the real thing.

you've got great video games out there that need real inttellectual discernment to play and solve, however, the vast majority of people only want the animalistic side of their psyches tantilized with this type.. the murder-simulator type game.

there are some people who think those types of games are a completely rediculous abomination.
then there are those who relish them.. and the events they depict.. and let people vicariously enact scenes of death.

it's all shades of gray. from one side of the spectrum to the other.

thing is.. in a perfect utopia where people no longer act like animals..
would you see murder simulator games like these immensely popular?
no.
it's a sign of the times.. it needs to pass it's course i guess.

retarded if you ask me.

-

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join