It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I can understand some peoples concerns over entertainment and violence and I have played violent games, I prefer puzzle games really but I'm willing to try other games. I read lots of books also, what worries me about the idea of banning games is that many of the great books of all time have violence in them both fictional and factual books, should we burn all the history books that contain war for example, what about the great legends or the bible?

You might criticise me for comparing other entertainment to video games but a good number of studies have been done that show no correlation in healthy average people between violence in games and in real life so its not really any different from books, music, films or any other entertainment. This is not to say it wont influence those who already have a high chance of violent behaviour, but if it wasn't video games it would be something else, the latest film, the devil, whatever. You cant ban things outright because some people might misuse them or damage society with them but there can be a restriction of access and there is, for the young who might be impressionable.

Deciding what adults can and cant read/play is a dangerous road to go down, I cant see it making us a healthier society, perhaps more ignorant however.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
yeah yeah, violent video games and yadda yadda. It's not like adults have the right to enjoy video games that aren't for children. Video games have ratings, M is for mature. If a child is playing this game, the ones responsible are the parents for being oblivious enough to buy it for them. Bad parenting explains a lot of the problems with kids today, but heaven forbid they take responsibility. Better to blame someone else than admit it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I own this game. It's not made for kids, it's for adults. You have to realize that a lot of people that played video games back in the early 80s and 90s are fully grown adults now. They can play games with more adult themes.

Heck, I think the Wii could use a few more adult oriented games.

Even then, the game is in black and white and has a sort of comic book style to it. It's not hyper-realistic at all.

Here's a worksafe screenshot.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Eteric Rice]

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Eteric Rice]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Actually.... Afro Samurai the Video Game was scheduled to be the same way. B&W with red blood but then they upped the colors. Hmm, interesting to see what it might have looked like.

Also, Death Race any one? That was a game all about running people over. Or Custer's Revenge? All you did was dodge arrows so you could rape an indian woman tied to a tree. Sure it was on the Atari so the graphics weren't that good but still what other games are out there that glorify rape, besides Rapelay from Japan?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

You've played it yourself? Know where I can get a copy?

I'd like to add my comments on the game, but I don't like to pass judgement on such things unless I've seen it myself.

I really hate when people do that.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Yes please, get rid of all the violent videogmaes, because before that, it was a perfect paradise where nobody hurt anybody cause nobody had any violent thoughts due to videogames.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic

Is this the state we have fallen to? I mean seriously. And just thinking about children playing this. No wonder we have school shootings. Such a violent world is it not?

Theatrics and special effects always seem to making awful and otherwise sick things cool. Media distortion IMHO is completely tweaking our lifestyle and this is just another way.

Anyway thought this was worth reading and could not find another thread about it.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'm not disagreeing that this could be the cause of some past attacks... but...

The whole point is that you detach yourself from reality and play this game. When you turn off the console then you are back to reality. Same for a book, a movie, and television. Each take you to another world.

How can you not tell the difference between life and fiction?

Somewhere you have to take the blame away from the technology/media and look at the persons themselves.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Americantrucker

Originally posted by Americantrucker
You've played it yourself? Know where I can get a copy?

I'd like to add my comments on the game, but I don't like to pass judgement on such things unless I've seen it myself.

I really hate when people do that.

Yes, I'm sure you're quite right.

If only I'd just play the game, I might find the experience a charming one.

You can never trust the description, images or statements made by the publisher. All that is just likely marketing puffery.

...use chainsaws, spiked clubs, daggers and spears to execute victims...

...can impale their enemies on road signs, fry them on electrical sockets and rip out their hearts...

Sega, publishers of the game, said it is "tipped to be the most violent video game in history".

Only a feeble mind would find it necessary to explore further.

I'll end this post with how I began in this thread:

I find it highly disturbing that ANYONE would enjoy playing this game.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
The topic of this thread has remind me of the old dragon ball z times , where the media was always verbally masturbating about how evil this anime was and that kids would imitate the violence from the anime in the real world.
Those were good times.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
lol look at the game's graphics

www.youtube.com...

:p people barely look human...

U guys should try Grand theft auto IV

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
For quite a few years I have spoken about the problem of violent games being played by children, but, it has always fallen on deaf ears.

No matter what the rating, parents let their kids play these games.

When you point out that their 5 year old should not be playing a "Game" where they steal cars, use hookers, kill civilians, and then point out the rating of that game, they come back with this inane answer, "My kid knows it's only a game."

All you can do is make sure your kids play suitable age-related games, if you allow console games at all, and be the parent who checks up to see what they are doing. And then take every opportunity to tell other parents no matter how they respond.

It must be the parent's choice, and they must start to act like effective Parents again.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
This whole debate is just way too reminiscent of the EC comics/Wertham/tales from the crypt fiasco of days gone by, particularly the alarmist tone taken by some of the posters here.

Whenever someone starts hollering 'Oh, won`t someone please think of the children', you know ulterior motives and the lust for censorship is afoot.

It is comforting to know, though, that this won`t end the same way that the Wertham story did, with the creation of the Comics Code Authority. The video game industry is too firmly-rooted and too flush with cash to not fight for their own artistic freedom.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by free_form
Wasn't it the Mayans that executed the person who lost in a game of ball?

No, they executed the winning team or captain of the winning team depending on which festival they were celebrating. They were willing religious participants, bit different from gladiators.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Of course it's rated mature, and of course, the MAIN base of players WILL be younger kids. You really think most stores even care about the M title? They should, but they don't.

Might I direct you to this: NIMF Video Game Report Card - 2008

This is the Video Game Report Card for 2008 from the National Institute on Media and the Family. They are most decidedly NOT a pro-violent game organization. Let me highlight a few things for you here.

1. Video Game Retailers have an 80%+ Enforcement Rate for M Rated Games
  2. 65% of 25-34 year old women are playing electronic games (and even more men!)
  3. 75% of gamers play with other people (not so antisocial, are we?)
  4. The 2008 figure of 20 percent also means that only 20% of kids who tried to buy m-rated games from retailers were successful; young video game buyers now have more difficulty buying M-rated games than they do purchasing tickets to R-rated movies.

In fact, the only section of the report card that DIDN'T get fantastic marks was Parental Involvement. Even independent organizations recognize that the retailers and developers are going out of their way to try and keep M rated games away from underage players. It really does come down to parents doing their part.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Barla Von
/Sigh

Some people just do not understand the beauty of gaming and try to use it as a scapegoat for the deeper problems embedded in modern society.

Some of us do understand the beauty of gaming. Some of us have been playing video games longer than some of you have been alive.
[edit on 20-3-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

I love video games. I think a good video game is a work of art. I've spent the past week playing Chrono Trigger. This is a game that was originally released in 1995 on the Super Nintendo, but was such an amazing and groundbreaking game that it has been rereleased not once, but TWICE on other systems. I'm playing it in my spare time on my DS. The story that unfolds as you play the game is amazing, the music (despite being midi) is fantastic, and the game is just plain fun.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
the only kids that go postal from games are the noobs.

ZOMFG ROFL noobsauce can't pwn!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slash
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

If you look at my last post, I added a link to a story about a baby sitter killing a kid because he was influenced by the game Mortal Kombat.

The following link is to a part of the GamePolitics coverage of the Oregon "Mortal Kombat" case. Interviews with the family of the accused revealed that Mortal Kombat most likely had nothing to do with what happened.

Mortal Kombat? Not so much

To quote the stepmother of the female defendant:

Both Henry and Southern said Trujillo was never violent toward their children, and they never saw her use any Mortal Kombat moves. Southern said she thinks Roberts made up the Mortal Kombat story to look tough.

Further, the male defendant was a criminal before any of this happened. I would wager that his influence had far more to do with the senseless death of that child than any video game influence.

"Lamar changed her. He was a thief and not a very good person," Southern said.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
HECK YEAH! One step forward for gamerkind. Of course, I don't have a Wii, but this is hilarious. Not because of the violence itself but because of the crap storm this it is going to create amongst a lot of people. Individual responsibility cannot be legislated by the government. I'm sure there are 13 year old kids who could play this without being affected, but even I wouldn't give this to someone under the age of 17. And then I'd only do it if they had good parents, an active social life, and were physically active.

My point is that games don't kill people; people kill people.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
If I couldn't vent my frustrations out on video games, which allow people to release negative energy of everyday life - I'm sure I'd be more likely to go out and do the real thing!

I'll keep burning hookers and shooting them until they're dead on GTAIV for now.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Game is a game, it's peoples ALREADY screwed up minds that makes them do stupid actions and the game gets the blame.

Nothing has been proven to support a link between it and video games, infact i was watching an Interview with EA on the exact subject like 3 days ago about the PEGI rating system.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join