It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I really don't think video games desensitize people very much, if at all. For instance, I've played video games where you actually see the character's head get chopped off. I've played games where you blow off people's limbs, etc. So if anything, I should be desensitized.

But then one day I happen across the video of the al qaeda cutting a man's head off. I cannot explain the fury, the disgust, and pure hatrid I felt when I saw that. I wanted to whipe them off the map.

Personally, I think that even when playing video games, subconciously you know it's not real, and that's why you're able to have fun with it. But if something like that happened in real life, you'd probably be scarred for life.

Who knows, maybe some kids don't have that subconcious recognition between real and fake? If so, that's not really the game's fault. In that case, I'd keep them away from violent video games all together.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
if violent video games makes kids grow up to be criminals and killer then everyone in the 80's should have growen up chasing little pills in dark rooms that play electronic music, from playing pac-man. and techno would be the most popular music today. just a thought.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Djdoubt03

HAHA! I think theres LOTS of 80's kids running in dark rooms chasing pills to techno music!!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

As an add on to that I would like to point out if I may, that brutal imigary has been used in popular entertainment throughout western history. Ever since the romans. Even shakespear,whom no one would call an action movie writer (lol) had some pretty heavy blood and bile stuff in his writting , and the film adaptations of his works are played in schools all over the english speaking world, and will be for time to come. Its nothing we havent seen somewhere else before anyway.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Media has been a favorite scapegoat ever since they tried to pin comic books on crime and juvenile delinquency (then it was rock and roll, then metal, now video games).

Thus far they have failed to prove anything, simply content to whine about other people's entertainment choices. Things were better back in "fill-in-the-blank", right?

Things have never been better or worse than now. Use any metric you want, but when you look at the whole, the net sum equals roughly the same.

To be clear, humans are many things. Curious, voyeuristic, fantasizing, and imagining creatures. It's not bizarre at all that we would attempt to do things in fantasy that we would never do in real life or openly, shoot, just ask many middle age married couples (separately).

In the long run, none of it matters. Humans are violent, kind, sadistic, sympathetic, brilliant, tragically stupid, and shallow (among other things) and will probably always be that way.

Entertainment aside, let's not complain about it, but work to make better what we can.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Funny story, I didn't see if anyone else noticed but the OP has a pretty violent looking avatar...

Something out of doom or quake it looks like...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
From renowned developer PlatinumGames comes a highly stylized, over-the-top brawler created exclusively for the Wii. A terrorist group known as the Organizers has taken over Varrigan City, forcing all citizens into their insane “Death Watch” game, where “kill or be killed” is the only rule. As Jack, a mysterious game participant, you will use imaginative tactics to pummel opponents and battle in vicious hand-to-hand combat with daggers, bats, chainsaws and more using the arcade-style controls of the Wii Remote. The bloodiest, most creative kills earn the most points and increase the chances that Jack can save the terrorized city – let the games begin!

Don't want to be accused of plagerism....this above paragraph is from Nintendo's own website about the game.

It doesn't sound all that bad when you know all the facts about the game now does it?....a guy who can fight well is choosen or chooses to fight for a terrorized city to save it!....wow everyone better go hide in your basement cuz the law is coming after all of us...isn't this what america does all the time....our troops fight well...we go help fight terrorism...hhmmmm?

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Vandermast]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
i dunno folks after watchin the new dragonball z movie clip umm...

ok i admit i felt like snapin some necks..

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BriggsBU

I see your point. Not sure why they call it the "Mortal Kombat death" though. When the story was first posted, it was said that the guy was imitating the game. Guess I was wrong, oh no wait, they changed the story. Funny how these things work, they change the story and make people posting about it look stupid.

Hey look at me people, they changed that story and now I look stupid! Round of applause please!

Edit: I gave you a star for jumping on the news wagon Brigg. Thanks for clearing that all up.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Slash]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Video games don't make me want to hurt people.

However, people blaming video games for their own Piss Poor Parenting makes me want to hurt people.

Video games letting me restart my game, or try again after "game over," never once had a negative impact on my sense of personal responsibility.

People blaming video games for their own inability to raise a child will impact that child's responsibility.

I know there have been studies done showing that the "aggression centers" of the brain become more active during violent gaming, but that's just not something that well-raised individuals carry over into real life. It's just immersion into the game. The aggression is directed at fictional characters in an imaginary world, not real people.

Good parents will teach their kids that game world and the real world aren't the same. Bad parents will blame everyone but themselves when little Johnny shoots up their school.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I am in my early thirties. I own a PS 3 and an XBOX 360. I have been playing video games since my dad bought me Attari with PONG. Almost everyone I know and grew up with played video games like DOOM, Mortal Combat, Halo, etc...

None of us grew up to be violent serial killers. In fact, I grew up to be a lawyer.

Blaming the Video game industry for violence is like blaming Ozzy Osborn for violence. It is entertainment. People are violent because of the genes and their up bringing.

As I mentioned earlier on this thread:

May be they should ban dancing. Kevin Bacon, we need you.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slash

I see your point. Not sure why they call it the "Mortal Kombat death" though.
[edit on 26-3-2009 by Slash]

They call it the Mortal Kombat Death because it sells newspapers and draws in ratings. If they just called it the "Senseless Death of a Child Due to Moron" Death then it wouldn't bring in the ratings. Video Game Violence is a big buzz word right now. If someone does something violent, there are a lot of people out there that look to see if the person ever played a video game and then try to blame the act on the game.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I know about all that. Flashy names to sell stuff and the like. But I DO remember reading that he was imitating things from the game. So I don't know now, I never kept up with the story, too many important things in my life that need my attention.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Slash]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
if i hadn't had videogames growing up, and Vice City during my Wal-Mart indentured servant days, there probably would have been a bombed out high school, and walmarts way back then when I finally snapped.
instead, i could come home and spend a good hour running over pedestrians until i got 4 stars, lead the cops on a merry little chace until I crash my car too often and explode, and feel a whole lot more relaxed.

Videogames KEPT me from getting violent as a kid!

Originally posted by Nox Vulpes
reply to post by the secret web

Have you ever wondered why you are compelled to create "warped and scary" stuff? Brainwashing on a massive scale, my friend.

or just creativity, not everything is sunny fields of flowers and bunnies, noone would remember Lovecraft if Cthulhu was a giant bunny that fired rainbows, or look at Giger's work, sorry, creativity is not brainwashing.

Sorry, it's just one of the things that really irks me when someone decides it must be because of brainwashing that something you create, something you use you're own imagineation for , is not cute and fluffy.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Gren]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
sorry, double post when i meant to edit

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Gren]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

you cannot blame video games for the choices of others. We still have that final choice to pull the trigger. It is easy to point fingers at games and designers instead of looking at the way the child was raised. I have played violent games for years. I like that games that people actually explode on like Soldier of Fortune. I do not have any criminal record or even once thought to shoot any one in real life because there is no frag limit here buddy. So you should really reconsider your stand point and have more of an open mind and be a free thinker than a sheep that regurgitates info of others and what they say. You should work on forming your own opinion instead of listing to whiny moms that have nothing better to do then complain.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I'm keen to play! I loooove violent games, I find there is something about them that makes me unwind. I have a place to vent, a medium to take out anger towards people in a non-destructive way.

Gore for the sake of gore? Yes please. Although I ma just be saying that cos ma hometown is Gore, but hay...

Violent video games and children. Frankly I'm sick of the discussion because people don't listen. In all reality children should not have ANY video games at all, I don't care if it's got a G rating, that child should be outside playing hide-and-seek, climbing trees, playing tag, falling out of trees, playing cowboys and Indians, breaking their arms, you know all the traditional stuff. It's a plain o bad idea to let a kid get a taste for the tube, it does nothing good for them, it become practically an addiction, but it happens cos parents stare at the thing just as much - to the point that I wish I hadn't been allowed to play VGs when I was young, I ceased maintaining my treehut and it feel to peieces, that's not good.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

you forgot,
football
basketball
hockey
soccer
white bread and white flour products
soda
white sugar
fatty foods
iodized table salt
food coloring
pesticides
caffeine
candy
chlorinated/fluorinated drinking water
glue
cough syrup
aerosol cans
lighter fluid
lawnmowers
cars
motorcycles
bicycles
atvs
dad's toolshop
the family medicine cabinet
the household cleaners cabinet
cop shows
detective shows
murder mystery shows
cartoons (be berry berry qwiet, i'm hunting wabbits--elmer fudd)
various movies
etc

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Eteric Rice

there are limits! for example, i absolutely despise horror flicks. what's the point other than to remind you that you do indeed have adrenal glands and they're worn out from the western lifestyle. i betcha most people on ats have exhausted adrenals, primarily from stress and worry and caffeine!

[edit on 14-4-2009 by undo]

(post by Miguel222555888 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join