It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdrawkcabII
Don't mean to butt in really, but...are you serious?

Yes

But, I see no time, and no reason to put such violence(especially as it's solely there for no other purpose, but just to be violent) into games that children can get with the snap of a finger.

Well, that's not my problem if your children can get a hold of such video games at the snap of finger. That's just bad parenting and poor enforcement of the law

I like violence in games. It's fun, exciting, and most of all... it isn't real! I can tell the difference.

Tell parents to do what they should be doing. Parenting. It's not down to the govt or social bodies to "babysit" your children for you. If you have kids, do your job. Teach them and educate them about acceptable behaviour, and what is and isn't real.

My freedom of choice (as in, playing violent video games for example) shouldn't be limited or managed because some people can't control their kids for fear they might play video games containing violent depictions.

Films and the movie industry are far more graphic and disturbing in both quality, quantity and realism than any video game. Take the 'Saw' series. Or "Ichi The Killer". What about Rambo? Or Deathwish? Or Band of Brothers? How about the tv series Lost or Heroes? Kids can easily get their hands on them. But I don't see you saying films shouldn't have unnecessary violence.

Again, I'm *not* saying violence is a 'great thing' and that we should be proud of it. I was merely stating that *I* believe violence to be a primal, instinctual aspect of the human race and for someone to say they are 'highly disturbed' that such violence exists and appears in video games no less, is puzzling, given that our history has shown rarely have we not been engaged in at least some violent war or engagement. So it isn't surprising that violence permeates so much of our culture.

That's all I was pointing out.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Films and the movie industry are far more graphic and disturbing in both quality, quantity and realism than any video game. Take the 'Saw' series. Or "Ichi The Killer". What about Rambo? Or Deathwish? Or Band of Brothers? How about the tv series Lost or Heroes? Kids can easily get their hands on them. But I don't see you saying films shouldn't have unnecessary violence.

Exactly, there is much much worse and much more graphic and disturbing things you could see that could disturb you...not some pixels...

I could find someone being be.ed, raped or murdered within 5 minutes on the Internet.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Originally posted by noonebutme
Yes, the many years I put into study, earning my degree, MA then my PhD at Uni were a complete waste of time because the books were all propoganda. Everything I studied was a waste.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Who said anything about propaganda?

I said 'comic book version' of history. Big difference.

And apparently with respect to the point we were debating, all of that 'education' apparently did little to help you.

So, you're one of those types who believes everything's a conspiracy and that all books in the educational system are lies and deceptions, perpetuated by the Illuminaughty ?

*Yawn*

I challenge you to demonstrate that I have EVER said anything similar anywhere on these boards.

What I *did* say, however, is that it is an erroneous view that humans are mostly violent.

Really. If you'd like to challenge my point of view, then at least use my express statements instead of the imagined ones you produce.

So what *are* the real, non-comic books? Which books will reveal the truth about human history and evolution? Give me an example.

For the most part, very few of them. But I can largely suggest you stay away from the ones that present supposition as fact.

It seems that if one were to compare the amount of time in say, the last 2000 years mankind was engaging in violence compared to when it wasn't, I think I'd be inclinded to say, "Yes - people do spend more time engaging in violence than interacting peacefully".

And certainly at this time, the 20/21st centuries, it's been non stop.

Hence why I argue, that violence is a huge part of who we are as a species.

Quantitatively speaking, that is a grotesque exaggeration and plainly wrong.

I'm not condoning it nor suggesting it's the only thing we're good at. I'm only suggesting that it's 'normal' in the sense it's always been there and as far as I can see, it always will be.

Are we discussing whether violence is 'normal' behavior or whether it is a 'huge' part of who we are?

You do realize those are separate topics?

Until some massive event happens that changes everyone's mindsets, or technology catches up to the point where commodities and posessions are no longer the ultimate goal in one's life [I'm not implying you or the general ATSer, I'm saying people in general], where people don't have to use violence as means to obtain/attain material goods or superficial seats of power, violence will always be there.

More comic book narrative.

Sorry, just my opinion.

I like violence in games. It's fun, exciting...

Again, I'm *not* saying violence is a 'great thing'

I was merely stating that *I* believe violence to be a primal, instinctual aspect of the human race and for someone to say they are 'highly disturbed' that such violence exists and appears in video games no less, is puzzling...

Who said that?

I'm not complaining that water is wet. I'm criticizing that some like to get soaked.

Pay attention.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Just my two cents:

I grew up watching cartoon cats, dogs, mice, birds and coyotes do some pretty nasty stuff to each other. I am now the loving owner of a cat, dog and rabbit. I was allowed to watch those programs ..... I can't imagine what the adult shows must have been like!

On a slight tangent, the UK government wants broadband in every home, but it amazes me how many parents dont know how to restrict the internet access their kids have. I worry about that more than a game that really isn't that original in it's content!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
If people were effected by video games, we'd be munching pills in a dark room listening to repetitive music...

It's not bad parenting for kids wanting to explore and find things out for themselves, no matter how wrong it is--that's how we learn. Everyone has stories from when they were kids about going somewhere they shouldn't have been or seeing something they shouldn't have seen. Honestly, who doesn't enjoy playing GTA, picking up a hooker, then killing her for your money back? In games you can do anything you want. In reality there are limits. It's better for kids to see some sort of violence/disagreement than to watch things on TV where everything is perfect.

When I was a kid, the games I played and the TV I watched included some real life elements that I had to face (not people maiming each other though ^_^). Today, kids shows don't have that "real life" factor and it leaves kids unprepared for when they face a situation that is not so happy.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The problem I have is...why are games like this being made? Why are they being pumped into the mainstream and brainstream of people.

They're being made because there is a market for them. People buy them. These are businesses, not charity organizations. They're out there to make money, so if there is a market for a product they can produce, they will produce it.

Be real here people, most gaming companies don't give 2 hoots about who play their games. Once their games are being played, they're content. We all know the rating system is there solely for legal purposes. Kids acquire M rated games as easy as it is to get a gun in some parts of the world.

Please refer to my previous post here: My Post Re: NIMF Video Game Report Card

If you look at that, you will see that game retailers have an 80% success rate at enforcing the M Rating on games. This is higher even than the success rate of movie theaters enforcing the R-Rating.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I said 'comic book version' of history. Big difference.

Enlighten me then. What is the "non-comic book" version of history and human evolution?

And if your version of history has to do with either Adam & Eve or Aliens then don't bother, we're done here.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by noonebutme]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

well if people would be REAL parents then they wouldn't let there kids buy it. Stop blaming other people for the parents failure to be parents

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Concept X

Nothing has been proven to support a link between it and video games, infact i was watching an Interview with EA on the exact subject like 3 days ago about the PEGI rating system.

Yes, because a game manufacturer is a perfectly objective source of information about the possible negative effects their product might have on society.

I bet they are so ethical, and so unconcerned with sales and profit that we could just trust them to do and interpret all studies on the effects of video game violence and behavior.

Much like we can also trust tobacco companies word that cigarettes are not harmful to our health.

Then allow me to point you here. Villanova University conducted research on 167 people, having them play violent games such as Doom 3, and measuring their responses. To quote Professor Patrick Markey:

So probably what's happening is these school shooters aren't doing the shootings because they played the violent video games. They're doing the school shootings because they are angry and maybe they've been provoked in life. Perhaps one of these provocations might be about video games but there's all the other daily provocations that happen. So it's not the video game's fault for these school shootings. It's the person's fault for these school shootings.

Further, a Finnish study came out in December that showed that violent games do NOT desensitize people.

APA - Study Abstract

From this perspective, the fact that wounding or killing the opponent elicited negative, not positive, emotional responses might be reassuring... Given that the player knows that it is only a game, events that, in the real world, are perceived as threatening may be perceived as positively challenging...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Games like this may ir may not create a propensity for violence.
But I DO find it a bit scary that we consider them entertainment.
Why is that?
Just human nature?

Yes. It is human nature.

A LOT of people find grand theft auto fun...are all of us sick?

If that is the case, then so be it.

The anti-game group is a failing breed and thank god. I barely play games anymore, but for those who do - KEEP SHOOTING THOSE ENEMIES IN THE HEAD!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Enlighten me then. What is the "non-comic book" version of history and human evolution?

With respect to the narrow subject we have been discussing, I have already said it plainly twice:

Our species' success was not dependent upon our capacity for violence, but upon our ability to cooperate with one another.

Man's success arose as a consequence of his ability to organize. His capacity for violence is far less pronounced as a comparative characteristic.

Do you really think people spend more of their time engaging in violence than interacting peacefully with one another?

So, for a third time:

Our greatest evolutionary advantage has been the development of complex social structures, made only possible by our PREDOMINANT desire to interact with one another peacefully for personal and collective gains.

That is not to say violence is uncommon. But I flatly disagree that our success is because of it.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

So in other words, your view of humanity's past is based solely on humanity's present? I'm afraid it doesn't quite work like that. All life evolves and changes over time, humans included.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BriggsBU

How did you arrive there?

Really, people, read what I write--not what you think I wrote.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
God i hate this argument. I haven't read any comments after the first page but i could see where it was going. Heard it all before. I just think its a load of crap. For a start, This game is a sci fi kind of yarn. Akin to 'the running man' kind of vibe than any kind of reality i know. Aw, i dunno. I cant even be bothered to put together a good argument for it. Its just tree hugger pacifist arses who complain about it. The type that wrap their kids up in cotton wool and don't allow them to watch TV. Idiots. In all truth its probably the kids that are being shielded from it that are the more likely to go on a school shooting spree

[edit on 3/21/2009 by Matt.Trakker]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Because he keeps asking you where you are getting your information from and all you keep doing is, essentially, pointing out the window and saying, "Look at how society works! All of this is because we work together peacefully!"

Just because that's how it operates now does not mean that is how it has always been.

A primitive tribe may have worked very well and peacefully amongst themselves, but when another tribe moved into their territory, quite often the result was vicious and bloody conflict. In fact, there are many places in the world where it is STILL like that today. Even the more technologically advanced countries are like this. We work well amongst ourselves, but all too often conflict arises when other countries/tribes move into the territory of another.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt.Trakker

Originally posted by Matt.Trakker
Its just tree hugger pacifist arses who complain about it.

It's pathetic how lazy your post is.

The type that wrap their kids up in cotton wool and don't allow them to watch TV. Idiots. In all truth its probably those kids that a shielded from it that are the more likely to do it later on in life

Yeah, right.

And you on the other hand seem like someone who'd be pleasurable to have coffee with.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
To complain about a game like this on this site beggars belief. I mean, All of us here know whats really going on in the world. The majority of us have seen the real pictures of whats happening in war zones across the globe right now. We've seen the body parts strewn over the street. We've seen people being be.ed. We've seen tank, Troops & helicopters being blown up. All full motion video. All widely available for people who want to know. But the moment a game comes out that shows a bit of fisty cuffs...Its whoa!! What the Hell!!?? Please..Its black & white wire frame pixels. Get a grip

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BriggsBU

Originally posted by BriggsBU
A primitive tribe may have worked very well and peacefully amongst themselves, but when another tribe moved into their territory, quite often the result was vicious and bloody conflict. In fact, there are many places in the world where it is STILL like that today. Even the more technologically advanced countries are like this. We work well amongst ourselves, but all too often conflict arises when other countries/tribes move into the territory of another.

You do realize that having the capacity for violence is not the same thing as engaging in it, right?

I have not once said man is neither capable of violence, nor ever engages in it.

What I have said is that violence as a characteristic of our species is far surpassed quantitatively by the amount of his peaceful social interactions.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt.Trakker

...a bit of fisty cuffs...

You lose all credibility when you grossly misrepresent the facts.

That description in no way fits the subject video game.

But I guess that's the only way you could argue its triviality.

More lazy posting...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Just one thing. Have you actually played the game? Or are you just going off the .lines?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join