It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I hope all participants will read about The Big Rip and start discussing it in the main thread.

It's sort of like the 2012 'End of the World' stuff that all the characters in the opera might be thinking about.

Just an idea.

[edit on 29/3/09 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Will do thanks

I'll be writing little more a later tonight stay tuned

[edit on 30-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I'm trying to get a grip on how to introduce this into the thread. Do you mean to accelerate it from 20 billion years in the future to something more like 3 years from story-time?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I'm having the same problem with the billions of years part too.

I keep thinking that the bar tender holds the key to that possibly.

Hmmmm......

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

It DID mention that this theory leaves the door wide open for such things as time-travel, wormholes (already a plot element here, so maybe a given) and inter-dimensional shenanigans.

20 BILLION years is a mighty huge time-jump, but so is a wormhole from "here" to "eternity", or the edge of the universe, whichever comes first, and there's nothing I've found so far to preclude it.

Could have applications related to our FTL communications, and go a long way in explaining how QA is able to access our feeble U-Man minds instantaneously over around 750 light years of distance, when even light takes 750 years to make a one-way trip.

[edit on 2009/3/29 by nenothtu]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

[color=52D017]loam stares in abject horror as he realizes the peas in his soup start to repel one another.

OMG! I am a billion years overdue on my cable bill!

[color=52D017]loam searches for visible_villains weapon....

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Big Rip On Line Toot!!!

JK, really some fasinating articles which give some great story lines for this adventure, however didnt you get the impression that both theories were reminicent of the fall off the horizon theories of long ago?

It is however interesting to think that we can never contact any other extraterrestrial civilizations more than 100b LY away...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yes that is how I am doing it, just thought there was an easier way, seems I get so excited or rushed I forget it.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

You did it again. I'll be right back, I have to run my keyboard through the shower....

I'm back. Swapped out keyboards, and the coffee laden one is in the tank.

[edit on 2009/3/29 by nenothtu]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Penelope shoving off from L2 Station into the Wild Black Yonder after everybody gets cleared or killed by the Admirals:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2b4d8bfd6f0.jpg[/atsimg]

Fixed the L2 orbit point so it remains between the Moon and the Earth, distance to L2 still uncertain. I might have to break down and calculate it myself. Either the 'net is mute, or I'm lookin' in all the wrong places.

edit: Masqua, are we talking Earth-moon L2, or Earth-Sun L2? I may have been going about arranging the orbit all wrong... nevermind, I just picked one and calculated it. I picked the Earth-Moon L2, because that's where Gerard O'Neill planned to put his Earth Orbit Colonies back in the late '70s.

[edit on 2009/3/30 by nenothtu]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

History Channel's the Universe (Episode 18: Cosmic Apocalypse) describes these very well. I love that show.

"Big Crunch" Armageddon style

The "Big Rip" mentioned in the beginning then the "Heat death" Ragnarok Style mentioned afterward.

1:28-1:45 Michio Kaku mentions Ragnarok and heat death.

If Heat death Ragnarok occurs then if the universe exists long enough then a Big Rip would occur.

4:10- 4:58 "Quantum Fluctuations" the hope of a Universe in Heat Death. I believe it is different but similar to "The Big Rip" in its effects.

1:28-4:10 Describes how it is possible.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Studious]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Whisper you are so sassy! Loved the last post as I am certain scurvy is going to turn green in cheeks when he reads it too! I find myself wanting to find out whats next with you two, I guess I am a virtual voyoure.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thank you antar! The character is so dark I try to throw in some Rigellian humor here and there.

I too am waiting to see where this goes next lol now excuse me while I go fan myself.

About the Big Rip - I was wondering if masqua was speaking to the last part of the article about wormholes, time travel and such....

Remember, things are suppose to be getting freaky soon...hmm..wonder what's in store for us eh?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Speaking of the "hearing"

AHHEEEEMMM.

Studious?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Silo do I have you and another character confused? If so my bad I will try and clear it up. Why was I thinking you were the one talking to the carpets?

Nope, that's me, but, I can't morph into water, carpet, etc, like I explained before.
In your post on the main story board you say:

Silo knew that the communication was complete and slid back into the carpet and slipped away as quietly as she had arrived.

This and quite a few other points in your post are impossible.

To save you a large rewrite I did a quick post for damage control (as I can't go back and change the core of my character and the majority of my posts) - but now I'm repeating myself, I've gone through this all before.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Here is my old post on this I think someone should control Hollingsworth III and someone else should control Admiral Stevenson.

Originally posted by Studious
I think the Tribunal control needs to be split up. I don't think I should control it alone.

That being said......

Who want's to control Rear Admiral Jonathan "Hellacious" Holingsworth III?

One of Fooks posts mentions that this admiral owed Fooks one. So I think he should be most angry at Nenothtu for Fooks murder.

Originally posted by fooks

Tried to settle down but didn't work out. My dog died the same day the divorce was final. Tore me up.
Sooooo...I had kept my flight status up all along and asked for an active duty transfer.

Rear Admiral Johnathan “Hellacious” Hollingsworth III, owed me.

Who want's to control Admiral Stevenson? John Q introduced him. He seems pretty level headed. He did have "many friends and colleagues’ stationed on the Nimitz" though.

Originally posted by John Q
This was noted in his transfer documents issued by Admiral Stevenson for Captain Luder.

It is with my recommendation that Chief Engineer John Q should be given his first commission to serve aboard the USS Penelope. Due to the fact he has studied an extra two years at the academy to achieve his Chief Engineer status, there is no one I would recommend more than him, nor is there anyone who understands wormhole technology better than him. He also has the ability to stay calm in the most intense situations even when pushed to his uttermost limits.

With that said, my only concern that I have is his lack of time spent in space or shall we say his lack of mission time. We all understand the pressure that comes with serving aboard a Federation ship and we all realise that this career is not suitable for everyone.

So Captain, if I may, would you please allow him some time whilst he adjusts to Federation life aboard a starship and offer any help should he need it.

May I also take this opportunity to wish you the best of luck with your mission. I have many friends and colleagues’ stationed on the Nimitz, we are all waiting for their safe return home.

Godspeed, Captain.

Admiral Stevenson.

I'll control Admiral Gordon since I introduced him. I would have had control be for the people who introduced these Admirals but John Q has asked for leave and Fooks is gone.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Sorry about the double post but these cover vastly different topics and they are replies to different people.

Originally posted by silo13
I can't morph into water, carpet, etc, like I explained before.
In your post on the main story board you say:

Silo knew that the communication was complete and slid back into the carpet and slipped away as quietly as she had arrived.

This and quite a few other points in your post are impossible.

When I read "slid back into the carpet" I thought it meant that you were moving into the area the carpet currently occupies by sliding, not that you were morphing into it.

(I'm not antar so I cannot say for sure but when I read it that's what I thought.)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

I'm trying to get a grip on how to introduce this into the thread. Do you mean to accelerate it from 20 billion years in the future to something more like 3 years from story-time?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a far distant, yet worrying, apocalypse which has almost religious overtones.

What ARE the spiritual belief systems of the Rigellians and Earthlings?

Is Dark Energy considered a Deity, controlling time, matter and space?

Certainly, science for such progressive races would figure into their mysticism. I only included the idea of the Big Rip so that the characters could get rounded out better. Certainly, some would 'believe' while others would discard such notions as BS (just like today
)

Did you catch the part in the link which stated that an accelerating expansion of the universe promises the reality of wormholes? Your ships already use wormholes, so the science that supports them must be well known.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
I'm thinking more along the lines of a far distant, yet worrying, apocalypse which has almost religious overtones.

What ARE the spiritual belief systems of the Rigellians and Earthlings?

Is Dark Energy considered a Deity, controlling time, matter and space?

Oooo Oooo, The Mossian-Slea have prophesy!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I'm going to go ahead and throw this out here Penelope crew. I know I've been doing a lot of background info on our "history" but I'm Agnostic, so I wouldn't be the best candidate to determine religions and such - lol. If one of you all would like to make that part of the background up for the story, be my guest.

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join