It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Off Topic :bnghd:

Sowwie!

[edit on 3/31/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Geeze, I can't keep up with this thread.

I opened it up only to find I was 9 pages behind.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

The Opera thread freezes my computer at home. ?????????

Hi Hi - It freezes mine so bad I've gotten to the point I have to read ATS - shut it down - work on anything I would want to contribute with no open ATS window (of course I can have any other site on the internet open but ATS, just not ATS) - then go back, and hopefully get a post in before the computer freezes up again.

I don't know the problem - like I've stated before I take very good care of my computer - cleaning/virus scanning etc.
The fact it happens only on ATS is very disturbing.

I hope you can get it worked out in your computer - we want more of your posts!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I do like the idea of this as a 2012 event that some people are worried about and others just scoff at the idea.

However many scientists believe "The Big Rip" is highly unlikely and point to the "Heat death of the Universe" as a more probable end. (Not for us as heat heath would occur very very long from now, if it occurs at all. Something else will probably wipe out humans far before then.)

"Big Rip" Mentioned in the beginning but then "Heath Death of the Universe." mentioned afterward

0:00-1:00 Mentions "The Big Rip"

1:31-2:45 Mentions effects of "Heat Death"

2:45-5:07 Describes "Heat Death"

5:07-7:27 Second Law of Thermodynamics shows that Heat Death is possible.

Please watch the entire thing for the full effect.

Making "Dark Energy" a religion......not so sure........to my knowledge the discovery of the "indivisible" (as originally thought) atoms, the theory of relativity nor quantum mechanics never created a religion. I do not know what humans will think in the future but I think at best it might be considered a "fringe" or "cult" religion.

Originally posted by masqua
Very likely, especially if the 'God Particle' is found, but there will always be doubters unwilling to change.

If I understand you correctly this is a common misconception.
If I understand this incorrectly disgregard the paragraphs following...

The "god particle" is not God. The name came about because of a book published by Leon Lederman he originally wanted to title his book "The Godd##n particle."

The Higgs boson is the particle that is thought to give everything else in the universe mass, but that bit of theoretical physics is unlikely to be the reason most people have heard of it. Its theistic nickname was coined by Nobel-prize winning physicist Leon Lederman, but Higgs himself is no fan of the label. "I find it embarrassing because, though I'm not a believer myself, I think it is the kind of misuse of terminology which I think might offend some people." It wasn't even Lederman's choice. "He wanted to refer to it as that 'goddamn particle' and his editor wouldn't let him," says Higgs.

Source

Look up "The God particle if the Universe is the answer, what is the Question?
in google books. (Hyperlinking from there appears not to work though
)

The preface of the new version shows that it was called the God particle because....

"it was thought that the world of science was on the brink of a series of exciting new discoveries that would bring us closer to understanding how the universe works and the identities of the building blocks that make it possible."

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Studious]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks silo I will do it at work in the morning.
Its not all ATS but for some reason our thread the other one.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Ahhh... but the theory of relativity DID create a new religion, the major tenet of which is that nothing can move faster than light, because you can't SEE it moving faster than light, since vision is limited, by definition, to light's speed. That would be the basis of Einstein's "thought experiments". It's also why the "twin paradox" is not really a paradox at all. Logically, if the clock appears to slow down on the outbound trip, it will appear to speed up on the inbound trip. Time doesn't actually slow down, it APPEARS to slow down to a stationary observer. Call me crazy... or irreverent

A large number of modern scientists eschew religion in favor of science, and then negate that viewpoint by adhering to ideas as strongly as any fundamentalist christian or moslem. Fact is, that religion and honest science can never cancel one another out, as they operate in entirely different areas. Religion operates on faith, and never entertains competing theories. Science operates on observation, and must ALWAYS be willing to entertain competing theories. Religion deals with the spiritual, science deals with the physical.

Now if this 'dark energy' were found to be EVERYWHERE, and is in fact what holds all the quanta of subatomic particles together, and it was BELIEVED that it possessed some sort of unfathomable intelligence, well, there might be born a REALLY grand unified theory.

I can see how it could be spun up into a religion. Science deals with what we measure, religion deals with what we believe, and heaven help us if the two ever merge!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Hey Deson,

Welcome aboard!!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

First, Silo, that is an awesome avatar. Very nice.

Next, are you and Mars having this problem only on certain pages or all of them? Is it only that thread?

Finally, I'm cooking up some fun stuff in my next post. It's not ready yet, but I hope it is sufficiently entertaining.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
We should all be aware of what is now at the top of every page on this thread...

This thread is an ATS Big-Thread with 967 replies, and subject to more strict moderation.
Please stay focused. Stay on-topic. Minimal or off-topic posts and T&C violations are subject deletion and/or a warning.

With recent criticsm on another board about Collab Writing as well as the Big Thread designation, we know that ATS is now watching with interest.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Penelope crew - and everyone, really.

Sorry for not posting for about 2 days on the main thread. I've been really busy. I'm going to be getting on a plane in the next 20 hours to go home for leave - FINALLY. So, if I don't post for oh say - 1 more day, please don't kill me!!!!!!

I'll be back soon.

If/When the big tribunal happens - Luder's main course of action was to present the data tapes the crew assembled on the unknown mind control and the fact that people were acting under the influence of external control.

Neno - hold the ship together till I get back.

See you all VERY soon.

(Some of you may/may not see me as I pass through like 50 airports between Korea and Texas...... lol)

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Ah travel home to us soon.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

WOW, mf_luger have a very safe trip! I did not realize you were overseas, somehow I missed that fact. I knew you were military as you had mentioned it a few times... but not that you were actually deployed in a combat zone!!

Stay Safe!!

(sorry Masqua, I know off topic, but still part of the writer's group)

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

(sorry Masqua, I know off topic, but still part of the writer's group)

I don't believe it was off-topic. Time constraints regarding the ability to post (due to RL issues) in a collaboration SHOULD be part of the working thread. How else could members co-ordinate their efforts?

On a side note, it won't be me doing any of the O/T removals since I'm involved in both threads. Moderating a thread I'm active in isn't acceptable at all. It would be other staff who make such actions happen.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
Deson those are very good. Will you be designing things by request?

Slayer awesome post. I love all the visuals and graphic's very creative.

Stars for both you.

Hey Deson Glad to see you have decided to come out and play

Those look awesome. I'm looking forward to collaborating maybe we can make this into a great graphic novel space opera?????

Thanks Cindy for your kind words.

PEACE

SLAY

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
off topic

Self edit

[edit on 31-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hiyas Everyone!

Just wanted to make the point that the crew of the Yydryl could probably use some sleep, we've only been on the ship a few days and have had a lot transpire. I see CM just went to her quarters (nice post btw). Not that we have to make a big deal out of sleeping but, just thought we could all use some and shouldn't leave this out. Then again, I'm sure our readers could infer this... ::shrug:: Suggestions?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
So you people know neno and I are working on collaborating on trying to export my files into something that he can render with Celestia. There are some problem on my end with my software but we are working on it. One of the problems is that I can export some of my stuff but major glitches get involved (part of the space station vanishes, and screwed up textures for example). I think I might have developed a work around but we'll see what's going on with that.

(Mutters something about Bringing the mountain to a certain place)

(chuckle)

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Have you checked to see if there are newer software add ons yet?
Also check to see if here are any good third party add ons non official. Some tend to be pretty good. just a thought.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yes a bit slow on the ship right now but my biggest question is what happened to our Captain Cadbury?

I remember reading somewhere very faintly that he was returned to our Alliance in trade for the Moon, but why has something as important as a missing Captain been so mute?

No real references to him, nor were we the ones to save him yet we blew up their moon?

Do we forget him or what? I had so many ideas connected to him and all of us on the rescue but we were all partying in the bar at the time as if nothing was a miss...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Loam said he was coming back, so there was a reason to party but did Loam know or not know?
Also Cadbury is the only one who knows about me except I was going to tell you.

There was some com here in this thread about Cadbury I thought posted by Silo but I cant find it.

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join