It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 166
<< 163  164  165    167  168  169 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'll take a look at the dead alien. I'll post my review on my next post. Might find some useful physiological data on it. A DNA analysis might reveal a general weakness to possible bio-weapons.

Oh man, I sure hope that everyone does not decide to leave the Space Opera because of a few mod notes.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

You mean you're leaving? Seriously?

I hope not man, let's just move on and keep a good thing going IMO.

- Seeker

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
LOL, guys guys..

I'm not going anywhere. I was saying that if I get banned, I'd keep writing anyway.

I am really worried about neno.....

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Yeah I'm getting worried now too.
I sent Neno an email what - three days ago now, and no reply.

I really hope it's just a computer thing, etc.

In the mean time - now it's time to start tracking down Deson... I know he said there was some unforeseen commitments he had to tend to - but - it's been a while... And Studious?

peace

[edit on 13-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Gotcha.

Neno's a good guy, I hope he's okay...

By the way Badger, methinks this power-tripping President piece of (excrement) needs to be jettisoned out the nearest airlock.

Pronto.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

Badger, I hope you're not leaving us permanently....

Chief Engineer AND the Wing Commander at once?

Shoot.

Luder may put in for retirement after this.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Badger, I hope you're not leaving us permanently....

WHAT?

Did I miss a post? Where did BadgerBritches say he was going?

Hmmm, seems it's about time for the S.I.L.O to get called back to LAB. Maybe even exterminated.

peace

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hey Guys! Badger and Slayer are out! There was no changing their minds.
I wish otherwise. Deson said he was dog sitting and would not have computer access, which when dog sitting, I do not either.

I say that we who enjoy writing continue on and we are respectful to our working space here and stay on topic. I am as guilty as anyone but I do understand. ATS is a large forum and we are taking space.

I love all my fellow writers and hope that we all continue to write for our own enjoyment.

Peace!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Is there any reason why text isn't being colored? Tried to put Vargas' text in, in my final statement on the last post I made. Didn't make the text that color, just put color=orange and the beginning and /color at the end.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I'm going to go ahead and throw a couple of things out there.

1) I accidentally nuked my pc's hard drive, because in my fervor to complete switch over to using Ubuntu linux, I tried to use a program to wipe Vista and destroyed everything. Since the past week, I've been working to try and get a working semblance of a computer back up in my room. If that all fails, I'm going to end up getting a new computer, but that won't be until about 2 months or so from now.

2) I have to wholeheartedly agree with badger. I don't shun him because he left at all. We should never have had two super moderators come onto this - of all threads - and give vague warnings out about 'staying on topic'. While I wholeheartedly support the efforts of the administration of this site to do away with the bantering that goes on, why bring such force to bear on us? Some of you may see me as "whining" or whatever, but not me. When completely absurd threads such as the "Galactic Federation of Light" or "My neighbor may be an alien" are allowed to grow to 90 or 200 flags and keep going, but here - a solid group of contributors who are dedicated to supplying information to our story are targeted, I get a little perturbed. Now, while I'm not directly offended to the point I want to leave, the USS Penelope just lost TWO of its best contributors. Two. Those are positions that may never be filled again. WTF? While I have a lot of emotional stock invested in this story, I'm still a real live writer.... Whether its here on on a real story that gets published, I'm not going to stop writing. Ever. So. That all being said, don't be surprised if I cut ties too if that happens again.

3) I have no immediate plans for leaving, but know that rl is coming heavily into the amount of time I am able to devote to this story. I will do the courtesy of making my exit well known as Slayer, Badger and others have done, but if our 'team' isn't allowed to bond at all, then I find myself wondering what the point is. This isn't us relaying facts about a case to each other in a scientific manner using sources... It's a damned story. Sorry if our attempts to get along gave the ptb's poo poo faces, but oh well. Grow up.

4) With the disappearance of Neno on top of all this at once, I'm really concerned about the future of the Penelope and our crew. I hope to continue writing, but know that it is distinctly possible my days are numbered.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Oh, and as an afterthought: I see there are a ton of stars on those posts. I'd like to not believe that someone in our own thread precipitated those actions, so I'm going to say this.

If you are a person with 'writer' status who isn't part of the Space Opera and you're upset because we're "successful" - either join us or stay out of our business. It's not our fault you don't have the same skillset.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Update, I just came back online a little while ago. Got company coming over tonight and then somethings to take care of. I won't be able to post my contribution until sometime tomorrow. No I have not left the story. If need be remember at any time you may run me as a NPC if needed to advance the storyline.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

a solid group of contributors who are dedicated to supplying information to our story are targeted,

Luder, an ATS friend warned me off of posting this reply, but, I'm just not the type to sit back and let others do the talking for me - even though you're great at it and I couldn't agree more...

I'm sorry I didn't post this back when I wrote it, but, beter late than never.

reply to post by cindymars

(CindyMars, this isn't so much a reply to you as to the recent 'reprimand' we received here in this thread.)

ATS is a large forum and we are taking space.

So then all the hours and hours of time I’ve dedicated to the Space Opera, in writing, communication between writers, research, trying my damndest to tie up the loose ends and the trash left behind by the sour grape eaters, all the Photoshop manipulation, all this combined does not warrant a little ‘chit-chat’ now and then?

What about the same dedication and time and MORE contributed by the other writers?

Each one of us are constant quality contributor to ATS.

Not one of us has a *warn* and I’ve never seen any one of us reply to any thread with anything but respect for others and diplomacy.

And we’re getting censored? Reprimanded?

You’ve got to be kidding me.

We take up space?

If the quality space usage we’ve put IN to ATS doesn’t allow us to take a bit of space OUT of ATS then I call that foul.

We all contribute some of the best material - especially in this section of the site - we don’t ‘take up space’!

I don’t have an issue with you CindyMars, of course not...

But I do have an issue continuing to contribute and write under scrutiny and the threat to conform.

And now, adding insult to injury I’m supposed to choose between giving up this marvelous project or continuing to be treated like a child who has to behave or get my knuckles rapped for talking in class?

Hmmm... Recess time anyone?

[edit on 15-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Superb posts, Slayer and Badger.

You will be missed.

Good luck and Godspeed.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Maybe it would be a good idea to post the current open positions on the Penelope in either this thread or the UEF background thread. Would really like to see the openings filled so that the penelope doesn't just cease to be written for.

And given the officer shortage, I would like to extend ship computer maintenance to the Science section of the ship.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Luder and Silo, well put.

Fact is, this is a writing collaboration performed via the internet. We can't all sit down at a table and get to know each other over poker and a beer unfortunately, seeing as we're all from such different backgrounds and places.

To keep this sort of thing going, we HAVE to get to know each other. We can't do that in a sterile sort of back and forth.

Reality is that this thread takes up a HUGELY minuscule space on this forum, so small that our thousands of posts here are barely noticed. I have to chuckle a bit when the space our simple banter takes up becomes a perceived problem.

But of course, the piles and piles of trash that get posted on this site get the golden pass because they stayed on the same trash topic.

My point is, if you don't want the space opera to exist, SAY SO. ATS is not my site and I realize that the mods get the final say on what goes, but banter is irrevocably linked to a collaboration, and if that's a problem, shut it down.

And to whoever alerted the mods to our "space wasting", get off your self-righteous bum and participate in something useful.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well Ladies and Gentlemen. I have posted my last post for those of you who have read it already. I have done a final edit job this morning to tighten it up a bit. It may be worth a quick reread.

I wanted to say that my leaving really had nothing much to do with the Mod Squads actions. If you recall I posted my intentions to leave prior to their actions. Enough said about that....

masqua I wanted to thank you for allowing me to participate in such a wonderful endeavor. From my many years of management both in and out of the service. I know from personal experience how hard it is to maintain discipline when dealing with multi personalities. All vying for attention.

Penelope:

Luder: thanks for making it easy for me to contribute with the many assists you have given my character. You made it very easy to fit right in. Keep up the great work.

Seeker: I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your contributions. They made me stride to better my own. Thanks.

Studios: KEEP doing what you've been doing man. It is always refreshing to read your posts. I never really know what to expect.

Mr. Tootles. Good luck bud. you're going to need it.

Neno: Where the heck are you? I've missed chatting it up in and out of the Opera. Hope things are good man.

Yydryl: Well I'm sorry we didn't hook in the manner I originally envisioned but oh well...

Antar: Oh Antar where art thou? I hope you stick around I've always enjoyed reading your contributions I know you are presently busy with other interests. I hope you stick around.

Cindymars. I always look forward to reading your posts. Great side stories and visuals. Keep up the great work.

Deson: I'm glad you decided to join the story. Your work on the graphics have always been spot on. Great work man.

SILO: Pronounced [SIGH-LOW]
Your posts are always light and whimsical I've thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm glad you decided to stick around. You and Carpet were a blast.

Well Badger and I have discussed the possibility [If we have the time and if it is allowed] of a spin off opera. Remember our characters are not dead. And may return...

We will see about that.

Keep up the great work guys. I'll be looking forward to reading the continuing saga.

PEACE

Slay

[edit on 16-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
At the top of every page on this thread, you'll find the following:

This thread is an ATS Big-Thread with 3316 replies, and subject to more strict moderation.
Please stay focused. Stay on-topic. Minimal or off-topic posts and T&C violations are subject deletion and/or a warning.

I've mentioned it in this thread once before and so has intrepid, but it seems that, once again, the issue has come up.

If getting to know each other was part of an on-topc post, none of this would have happened.

Instead, we have what seems to be a desire to throw your hands up in the air over the dislike of a rule plainly visible to everyone reading this page, including all of the staff.

I'm sorry to see it happen.

For those who are leaving,,, THANK YOU for all your efforts in the Opera. They will forever stand as a part of the best collaborative effort I've ever seen in this forum.

For those who want to go on, you can count on my help.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

SILO: Pronounced [Shylow]

It's not Shilo, WTF that's a beagle dog.

It's - SIGH-LOW = SILO.

And yes this is on topic as it would be nice after all this time to know the participants at least know how to pronounce my name.

ciao

[edit on 16-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

For those who want to go on, you can count on my help.

Not worth it.

You did what you had to do Masqua and that's the end of it.

POST EDIT out of respect for what you've put into the Opera Masqua.

It doesn't mean I still don't feel the way my post first read but something else to consider?

I’ll be double danged if those simpering little wanna-bees that used the ‘alert’ on us are going to win.

ciao

[edit on 16-8-2009 by silo13]

new topics

top topics

<< 163  164  165    167  168  169 >>

join