It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 122
<< 119  120  121    123  124  125 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The quote "How in the name of Zeus' (Under Revision) did you get out of your cell."

Is said by Nicolas Cage's character Stanley Goodspeed to Sean Connery in the movie "The Rock."

The line's talking to his wife are from the beginning of "The Rock" said by Ed Harris' character General Hummel. Similar in that his men were killed behind enemy lines.

In "The Rock" the government refused to recognize their service and left the families with nothing.

Originally posted by SeekerOfAUTMN
"Speak truth or I will kill you this way," Asher whispered to the broken man.

I know he was talking "telepathically" (for lack of a better word) part of the time. But I assumed in this line that whispered meant out loud.

The whole paragraph about "this chemical will do this and that but that's before your skin melts off" is another line said by Nicolas Cage in "The Rock."

"ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I'VE HAD IT WITH..."

(I bet you can guess where that line came from........"Machines on a Pl.... I mean Penelope." )

Defibrillating someone who has flatlined, while popular in movies, is false.

Wikipedia Article on Defibrillation

In the same series, the defibrillator induces a sudden, violent jerk or convulsion by the patient; in reality, although the muscles may contract, such dramatic patient presentation is rare. Most television shows will have the medical provider defibrillate the "flat-line" ECG rhythm (also known as asystole); this is not done in real life. Only the cardiac arrest rhythms ventricular fibrillation and pulseless ventricular tachycardia are normally defibrillated. (There are also several heart rhythms that can be "shocked" when the patient is not in cardiac arrest, such as supraventricular tachycardia or ventricular tachycardia that produces a pulse; this procedure is known as cardioversion, not defibrillation.)

Wikipedia Article on Flatline

Though and injection of vasopressin or epinephrine also may work, I chose Atropine because it fits better.

It fits in with the Greek Mythology thing...

Wikipedia Article on Atropine

Being potentially deadly, it derives its name from Atropos, one of the three Fates who, according to Greek mythology, chose how a person was to die.

Plus it fits with "The Rock" theme because Nicolas Cage, in said movie, injects himself with Atropine in the heart. However Cage used it to counteract a nerve agent. Atropine is very versatile as you can see.

A ship can't go backwards through hyperspace. (At least I've never heard of it and they never mention it being possible.)

Once a ship exists hyperspace they can't really go back through the same area. (I've never seen them ever try and go back and pick something up or look at anything. It's like losing something in the middle of a wormhole. Whatever is lost is lost.)

The pod might have disintegrated. They had a discussion on Stargate Atlantis once on if it would be possible for a small ship to travel alongside a big ship in hyperspace. Mckay thought it wouldn't work. Zelenka thought it could. So I've added doubt about whether the escape pod would disintegrate or not.

I'm hoping everyone, for the moment, will think Studious is dead. That gives me the ability to do a reverse "Studious' wife" where I have to convince everyone I'm alive.

Woah, that was a long post.....sorry about that.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I hate to be too nit-picky, but censor circumvention is a big no-no everywhere on ATS. Surely better words can be found than 20th century profanity.

Such as:

Cygnian bloodsucker
Wormslimer
Fracking
Bloated Neutrino Cranker

etc

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Which lines and where have to be altered?

I'll change whatever is necessary.

My reasoning was I thought doing this "####" in essence "Bleeping" out the lines was acceptable. I assume I'm wrong.

My apologies.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Easy mistake.

However, censor circumvention is seen as even worse than writing the word itself, which the censor program turns into #'s.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hmm....

I actually write the #'s in myself. It's not a program doing that.

I thought the program wrote snips or cuts or something...

Does adding the #'s yourself make it censor circumvention?

I've edited the words in question into (Under Revision)

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I was going to ask someone to compile a list of Space Opera curse words as I have no imagination when it comes to that.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Well from some TV shows:

Frell
Frack
Smeg
bastich
joojooflop

and many many more:

CURSE WORDS OF FICTION..

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Yes, the program writes #'s. Sometimes it's a little wonky, like when you try to type the religion/sect 'shi-ite' or the country Ni-geria, but there's always just one # for the entire profanity.

Writing an f followed by 3 #'s is for sure censor circumvention and any staff that see it will action it, whether it be a nice little edit or a warn flag.

[edit on 15/6/09 by masqua]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Well I replaced all the questionable words with (Under Revision) until I can come up with something else to use.

Would the FX TV edit of Snakes on a Plane's famous line work?

"I've had it with these monkey fightin' snakes on this monday to friday plane."

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Thanks. Hate to be such a net-nanny, but rules is rules and I'd hate to see a great post get trashed and replaced with the T&C Violation banner. You might have seen them here and there.

If you run out of time for editing, just U2U me the list of words in order and I'm happy to do it for you.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
OK I may be guilty to.
Using the words damn and damned.
How about
"Freaking"
or "Bloody"

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

And this is why we appreciate you Masqua. I mean if we don't fix them now, some other mod would read the opera once it's done and make us change it or remove the post, which would suck, hardcore.

So thanks for doing well.

And I am sure we can come up with some space swearing that's not against the T&C lol. My character is too well spoken for profanity

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No, those words are allowable. Even 'goddamn' is, because it's not a profanity but a curse. Some members AND staff may not like it, but it's not in the T&C to not allow it.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Slayer I am LOVING the new avatar, did you take that from Star Craft II? lol

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Alright guys - lol.

Asher - Awesome post.

Studious - lol - you keep me on my toes, but your little act had some completely unforeseen results...

Slayer - hope I'm not stepping on your toes describing damage to the ship.

Masqua - is hell okay? I know I say that and damn a lot.

Silo - I had a dream that my blanket was telling me to get back to the Penelope before she was destroyed.... LOL

Good posting everyone.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You got it.

There's 4 other mods assigned to the writing forums and ANY super/admin can decide to action censor circumvention too.

Better to toe the line and use some creative future profanities that haven't been seen in the 21st century yet.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

~Keeper

Yep Slayer HOT avatar.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder
Masqua - is hell okay? I know I say that and damn a lot.

Hell is a place somewhere and certainly not a problem. Neither is damn or pissy.

Think sexual profanities and naughty bits and you'll get what's off limits.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Yep Slayer HOT avatar.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

~Keeper

Originally posted by mf_luder

Slayer - hope I'm not stepping on your toes describing damage to the ship.

No not at all Luder it helps me sometimes.

No it's not from Star Craft II

It is a colonial marine though I thought it fitting.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

I need a new avatar, something that looks like my character. I'm going to be changing his looks too.

The "sleep" cycle he is going through will rearange is appearence. Kind of a defense mechanism since people are actively hunting Adilaris.

That story will into play later, he's done some morally grey things that will come back to bite him.

Any takers on helping me build a new Avy?

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

<< 119  120  121    123  124  125 >>

join