It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washing machine liberated women most?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

au.news.yahoo.com

Feminists of the world sit down before you read this. The Vatican newspaper says that perhaps the washing machine did more to liberate women in the 20th century than the pill or the right to work.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Girls I know this is a touchy subject
I got to say we have new washing machine simply because there was a huge rebate to buy a water wise machine. Its more complicated than the shuttle to drive if you don’t know how but fortunately my wife preprogrammed some favorites into its memory and now I can drive it. – Only if I have to.
I think the Vatican is wrong the cell phone has liberated us all or do I mean tied us all down.
Anyhow, Girls I know this is a touchy subject but what do you reckon?

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
well, let's see, I did 8 or nine loads of clothes this weekend....

do you think I would have time to work 40 hours if I had to use a washboard to wash them?

inventions like the washing machine gave us the time to look beyond to see what opportunities were there.
but the right to work or the birth control pill, I am sorry, but well....you are talking survival now. any women may find the NEED to work, and it's a matter of self protection to control the number of children that you bring into the world! neither society, the government, nor the church has any business interferring with those aspects in a women's life anyways. and, they shouldn't be throwing obstacles in her way, in an attempt to coerce her into living her life in a way they find more desireable.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I'm certain I speak for every guy here when I say:

Women: get in the kitchen.

(Okay, I don't, but come on, in this day and age, that's freaking hilarious. At least to me, anyway!)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

A washing machine?

Obvously the Vatican monks strayed away from the road designed by them, coz the ultimate liberating machine for Mother#1 was without any doubt
fruitharvesting.com...

Some near ties in the implements category did occur, but finally the gold went to
www.mrcheapstuff.com...

That thing that works on 2 AA batteries got silver.

[edit on 3/10/2009 by stander]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

I think someone else explained(forgot the name). When women started working alongside with men, it resulted to inflation in prices of everything.

After a while and up to now, the husband and wife are now forced to both have jobs due to the inflation. Otherwise, the family will starve or have sub-standard living.

But I think the problem arose when both the husband and wife decided to both work and leave the kids to the care of someone else..... It's not the woman's fault. But at least one must stay at home to take care of the kids, it's not just a woman's job but can be also a man's!

I think the desire to have double income backfired, it used to be a 'luxury' at the children's sake. But now, we are all forced to work, no thanks to the inflated economy! Which has also helped degrade our kid's morals who will inevitably become parents too in the future!

[edit on 10-3-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo

Errr, NO....MEN liberated women the most.

Who paid for the damn things eh?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
LOL!

That's like saying stainless steel shackles liberated slaves....

What the?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Anyhow, Girls I know this is a touchy subject but what do you reckon?

Liberated? LOL!

I have always worked, up until the last few years. While I was in High School, I held two jobs. I also worked full time, while attending college full time.

I had 4 children, and the longest amount of time I had off from work after having any of them was 2 weeks, and that was after my set of twins.

I was expected to cook all meals, since I worked nights, and have them ready for my husband, so that he could spend more time with the children.

I still did all the cleaning, and the laundry, AND WORKED A FULL TIME JOB!

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

Men invented the washing machine so that women would have time to work, and still do all the household chores, at least in my case!

I divorced the guy before my kids could walk, since I did everything, and made more money than he did!

Now that my children are on their own, I finally have a guy that appreciates me, and lets me just take care of the household duties.

Sure, I wait on him hand and foot, but I don't have to put in an extra 40 hours a week working full time to support his rear end!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
Liberated? LOL!

I have always worked, up until the last few years. While I was in High School, I held two jobs. I also worked full time, while attending college full time.

I had 4 children, and the longest amount of time I had off from work after having any of them was 2 weeks, and that was after my set of twins.

I was expected to cook all meals, since I worked nights, and have them ready for my husband, so that he could spend more time with the children.

I still did all the cleaning, and the laundry, AND WORKED A FULL TIME JOB!

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

Men invented the washing machine so that women would have time to work, and still do all the household chores, at least in my case!

I divorced the guy before my kids could walk, since I did everything, and made more money than he did!

Now that my children are on their own, I finally have a guy that appreciates me, and lets me just take care of the household duties.

Sure, I wait on him hand and foot, but I don't have to put in an extra 40 hours a week working full time to support his rear end!

This entire post is so mysoginistic it hurts. And yes, it is me saying this.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Errr, NO....MEN liberated women the most.

Who paid for the damn things eh?

I don't know what era you are refering to but I paid for our washing machine, and my husband probably does more laundry than I do. We both work so we both do chores. In the past of course the men paid for them the women were tied to wash boards or pregnant or both.

But to the original post...of course the Vatican can't give credit to the pill or abortion and certainly a lot of inventions have made lives easier for everyone. All kitchen appliances should be on the list. The fridge so I don't have to shop everyday.

But I would have to say the pill over the few things listed so far..but I am sure others will think of some things that are equally liberating...

the right to vote

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I tend not to put pill into the same category.

does food liberate you, does the roof over your head? there have always been ways to control the number of births a women goes through, and the church seems to have always strived to prevent women from taking advantage of these ways. even to the point of forcing young girls into marriage before they had a clue as to what life was all about and writing "words from God" claiming women's subservient role and commanding obedience.

child birth is dangerous! and child birth becomes more dangerous the older you get, and the more children you have! it is women's right to control the number of children she brings into the world just as it's every person's right to self protection!
if people, and institutions would stop thinking that people are essentially their property, well, this would fade into oblivion since they wouldn't be seeing that baby as a new future taxpayer, laborer, church member, ect...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
i can see where the vatican is coming from on this. the washing machine, above anything else we use day to day, saves the most labour. if you have ever washed clothes by hand you will understand that this is true.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

After a while and up to now, the husband and wife are now forced to both have jobs due to the inflation. Otherwise, the family will starve or have sub-standard living

No. What is substandard living? No Plasma TV? No washing machine? The greatest detriment to our society is when we decided that stuff is more important then raising a new generation of productive citizens, our children.

Today we don't respect the breadmaker and everyone is in a rush to be the breadwinner. Whether you are the breadmaker or the breadwinner is immaterial, what is important is that children have BOTH in their lives.

The Pill is the most important invention to women. Of course the Vatican isn't going to admit that since they barbarically insist that we should not have that basic right over control of our own bodies.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I think that the bucking of the old stereotypical mindsets about women is what liberated them.
Imagine if we all thought women should be barefoot and pregnant like the old days??

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yes I can imagine hand washing clothes is very time consuming, but so is pregnancy, labor and child rearing.

Yes they grow up and hopefully move out and the laundry stays around, but at least there is less of it.

edit to add, I do know I get more "upset" if my washer is broken as opposed to the stove, vacuum or other appliances... I hate the laundermat

[edit on 3/10/2009 by Blogstalker]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blogstalker
Yes I can imagine hand washing clothes is very time consuming, but so is pregnancy, labor and child rearing.

see, the important word there is imagine. you get out the washboard and mangle just once and then come back and say being pregnant is harder than hand washing clothes every couple of days.

we're not talking rinsing your delicates here, we're talking washing the hard work your man has had to do from his clothes.

the fact that people are so pampered today is the reason they can't understand the hardship we've all been liberated from in the last 100 years.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
We all disagree with many of the past social treatment of women.

But I have been wondering lately, are women happier now!? Really??

Or where they happier in the 30-50's? When women were women, and men were men?

It's just something that popped up in my head, at what time where women in general happier?

what about men? Are they happier? Because I have no idea haha.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I get your point but have you ever been pregnant.? I won't go into detail here but it wasn't a highlight of my life...not something I would choose except the thrill of having children. And why I only have two

..and other reasons as well.... like all the laundry.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
pssst!!
I don't think that the women of old went barefoot..
my grandmother had a bunch of old stuff in her house, real old stuff...
and there were lots of old lady's shoes.

and double pssst!! for those who think that women of old never worked outside of the home. my mother worked, my grandmother worked, her mother worked. and well another thing, back then there was this thing called extended families. I know, they've become so rare, maybe you haven't even heard of them. but, well, while my grandmother worked, her mom lived in the same home and therefore was there for my dad. such things have now passed though for the most part. better jobs, or maybe just plain jobs, have managed to drive young families far away from their roots. since women have always been in the workforce....and all that has really changed since the women's lib movement began is the opportunity to have more selection in the job the women has and the idea that she should be getting a wage comparable to that of the man...well, think maybe all this deprivation that the children are suffering from not having mom home all the time might be more from having a never ending mass migration as our population continually moves from area to area of the country (for the good jobs!!) and the resulting demise of the extended family?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join