It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your experiences with sleep paralysis??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Hi everyone - just trying to see what you guys and gals have experienced when sleep paralysis happens to you. what do you see? what do you feel? Do you see an old hag woman? Or aliens? a demon? i've been studying this subject as well wtih others to try and figure out what this really is and if most experiences are the same.

My experiences with sleep paralysis only happaned twice. two nights in a row, about two years ago. Both nights i was flat on my stomach, with my head facing right, and i couldnt move, scream (which i wanted to do), and i didnt see anything the first night, but the second nighti it happened i saw some one running away. which was odd to me.

I would like to know what others see, feel, smell, to see if they all correlate with each other. Maybe there is more to this than we think!?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I get sleep paralysis every now and again.
Happened a couple days ago, I was lying in bed and couldn't move. I knew what was going on and just shut my eyes and went back to sleep.

However, a few months ago I had a horrible experience.
Felt like I woke up in bed to someone screaming my name, as though the house was on fire or something. Saw a strange light moving up and down my wall and a feeling .. no, a KNOWING that there was someone.. something in the room.
Shut my eyes, only to open them again and see a foggy grey mist around me. I'd been lying on my side in bed but was convinced I was on my back, on a slope ( my head at the top, feet at bottom).
I then saw several darkish figures stood 'around' me. I thought I was being abducted by aliens, or had been. At that point I realised my heart was racing unbelievably fast, like nothing I'd ever experienced before - for the first (and only) time in my life, I thought I was dying.

Shut my eyes again, to reopen them realising I was lying on my side again.. but in a big boxy grey room, couldn't see anything. Had a vague memory of being dragged along a 'corridor'.
Closed my eyes, and next time I opened them I found myself back in reality, and saw from my clock this experience, which I thought had lasted a good couple of hours - only lasted 15 minutes.

I was scared out my wits. Couldn't get to sleep, actually jumped up and posted an account right here

Theres more detail in that.
Good post btw

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well, I had an experience about 2 years ago. I was lying on my back, facing the ceiling. A black shadow crawled out of my door (on the ceiling) and started to approach me. I couldn't move or talk or anything. Since then I've never slept on my back again.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
For me like I can’t move at all and although I know it is sleep paralysis and calm; a scream starts somewhere in my sub-consciousness and grows louder until it drowns out my consciousness, at which point I go back to sleep or am rendered unconscious.

I don’t see anything visually as my eyes are still closed, however there is always a sense of somebody else there. This could be in the form of feeling somebody against me (pressing or touching), or the sensation that somebody is watching me.

After taking advice, I place a lump of iron (in the form of a boot scraper that once stood outside the door of my grandfather’s house for many years, apparently a family connection helps although not critical) under the bed. I no longer get the sensation of somebody touching me, although I feel that I am still being watched.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
this is what is odd to me about sleep paralysis, different events and differet things seen, different feelings for each person. its interesting to me. I had that 2 night period of when it happened to me and it NEVER happened again. I just think there is a lot more going on when this happens. imho.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

i read your link, very interesting. i want to gather as many experiences as i can from other people, compare and contrast, and see what conclusion is made. im going somewhere with this.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'm catholic and had alot of problems in my 20's. I found out on my own I was being visted by the underworld. Demons. I'm 40 now.

They invaded my dreams. They made my dreams as real as this world.
They caused buzzing or humming vibrations in my ear. And the dreaded frozen state. What you guys call sleep paralysis. Also heard loud bangs like gunshots in ears. And heard shouting of words. Usually just a couple words. So loud it was hard to tell what was said.

What tipped me off was being dragged from behind into a pitch black room during a perfectly normal dream in my early 20's. And it was as real as this world. And never forgot it. My life was being dragged down into the pit for the next 9 years.

This went on for me over 10 year period and got worse and worse.

What cured me was the mother mary prayers in my 30's. The Virgin Mary.

I now wear a golden miraculous medal around my neck. And try to say the prayer every night.

Oh mary, conceived without sin, pray for us that have recourse to thee.

Here is the reenactment of this story:
www.youtube.com...

PS: they tend to know in advance you are going to be rescued so that is why it gets worse and worse.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by lucky guy]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I've only had it happen to me once, about 4 years ago. Here is futher information to help with your study.

Drank about 7 cans of Mountain dew ( could of been more )
was playing a video game with a friend until about 3am ( the game had lots of flashing lights )
Slept on the floor with a blanket underneath, pillow and blanket on top.

Shortly after falling asleep I become paralized only thing I can do it open my eyes and the room was dimly light, from the alarm clock but it slowly began to get darker and darker. I also had a hard time breathing and couldn't talk at all. My arms and legs would not move, I would have to say that after about 4 mins I was able to move, I proceeded to go under the blanket and not show my face until morning.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lucky guy

gold keeps demons away? or do you use it as a focal point to gather strength and energy to fight them off. Always thought silver was the prefered method of dealing with the damned.

Goodluck.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by VampireZio
reply to post by lucky guy

gold keeps demons away? or do you use it as a focal point to gather strength and energy to fight them off. Always thought silver was the prefered method of dealing with the damned.

Goodluck.

I actually use the medal for something else. The gold version was my donation for a better grace. The belief in the Virgin Mary to stomp on the snakes head is another prayer. Hail Mary.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
I get sleep paralysis every now and again.
Happened a couple days ago, I was lying in bed and couldn't move. I knew what was going on and just shut my eyes and went back to sleep.

However, a few months ago I had a horrible experience.
Felt like I woke up in bed to someone screaming my name, as though the house was on fire or something. Saw a strange light moving up and down my wall and a feeling .. no, a KNOWING that there was someone.. something in the room.
Shut my eyes, only to open them again and see a foggy grey mist around me. I'd been lying on my side in bed but was convinced I was on my back, on a slope ( my head at the top, feet at bottom).
I then saw several darkish figures stood 'around' me. I thought I was being abducted by aliens, or had been. At that point I realised my heart was racing unbelievably fast, like nothing I'd ever experienced before - for the first (and only) time in my life, I thought I was dying.

Shut my eyes again, to reopen them realising I was lying on my side again.. but in a big boxy grey room, couldn't see anything. Had a vague memory of being dragged along a 'corridor'.
Closed my eyes, and next time I opened them I found myself back in reality, and saw from my clock this experience, which I thought had lasted a good couple of hours - only lasted 15 minutes.

I was scared out my wits. Couldn't get to sleep, actually jumped up and posted an account right here

Theres more detail in that.
Good post btw

Read my reply above. They came for you because I posted this in your future. Where you can read why. Which is now. I know you will think I'm mad, but that is why they want to get you.

And saying this will send shivers up your spine. I found your story quite normal to me.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Okay well,

I have had sleep paralysis and have had many frightening experiences because of it and experiences I could certainly say were like some of the abduction stories I've heard. I've learned to relax and to a certain extent control the events. Personally I've had paranormal experiences and 'abduction' experiences that have felt very real and have been during the day and while I'm awake, I'm a believer but I'm also a big believer that a lot of abduction experiences can be explained by sleep paralysis.

I feel that perhaps, and I aim this towards my self also, that we should sometimes endeavor to understand ourselves and the inner workings of our bodies better rather than go straight for the belief that of coarse, this must be a demon or alien at play because we don't understand it, our own minds and bodies wouldn't do this to us. Frightening ourselves and others into believing things that don't really take us forward or help us solve any situation, instead cowering away from something that is literally screaming to be understood.

It makes me really angry. But then it's understandable that when our minds terrify us, it would be easier to believe an evil demon is at play rather than accept the possibility that our own bodies have the ability to haunt us, that we don't understand ourselves and that the 'demon' is within.

There is so much to learn about the human brain.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I’ve had it happen a couple of times. First time, I was about 10 or 11, woke up and couldn’t move and there was a glowing tiger crouching above me (this was before aliens were popular-and yes, I’m old). I really woke up and the tiger disappeared. The next time I was probably in my twenties and it was the regular can’t move, can’t scream, something in the room with me feeling. It was the same way when it happened again in my forties, but by then I had the internet, looked it up and thought, yeap, that’s it and never happened since then.

Frightening experience, not being able to move, but a mundane explanation. It’s not really strange to me that there’s different events and different things seen, different feelings for each person, because we all have different life experiences and beliefs.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It happens to everyone, at one time or another in their life. I didn't experience my first sleep paralysis til a few years back. The theory behind it is the mind wakes up before the body giving it the effect that your paralysis. Some mistake this for a ghost attack or the Chinese call it " a ghost sitting on you". In some cases, the later it might be true. If you search through the forum, you will find a few stories of the latter. But the later usually accompanies with an actual entity. Don't mix the two though.

Sleep paralysis is a common problem for people who have panic attacks too, especially people who awake to a panic attack. My buddy use to have sleep paralysis attacks for weeks, they usually accompanied with panic attacks. Everyone I known at one time or another has had a sleep paralysis happen to them, the first time is always scary. If you just lay sit for a few minutes your body functions will return.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I had slepp paralysis once. I was lying on my right side, and i woke up and i couldnt move, i couldnt even open my eyes. I had a feeling, of a spirit being beside my bed. I pulled as hard as i could and eventually I got up, to see that there was nothing there.

top topics

join