It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

Brightest star in the sky for the last few months here on the west coast has been jupiter.

2nd line.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by aboveus87

Did it just keep getting smaller and smaller and dim while it was fading away? For some reason I remember thinking..dang it looks like its moving backwards as I watched it disappear.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

This is the best picture i could get at the time. Hope it helps. I didn't take it, I just happend to come across it. -J

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
www.earthsky.org...

The big bright light in the south-western sky is Venus. Why is everybody noticing it now? Because it’s at it’s brightest. It doesn’t always look like this. Venus has phases like the moon. However, when it is at full, it is further away from earth, so not as bright. Sometimes the orbit places it as the morning star. But about eight months ago, the orbit is now as the evening star position . As it gets closer to earth, it appears brighter. That’s what you are seeing now, at the brightest.

My nephew bought himself a Celestron Skyscout–a nifty toy that uses GPS to tell where you are in relation to the night sky and can identify celestial objects. Over Christmas I pointed it at everything in the night sky. Like Stellarium, it identified the big bright light as Venus.

Agreed. It's Venus and I cannot believe how this thread has grown over something normal and simple. I have noticed this star my whole life and it always gets the brightest around this time of year. I expect it and don't freak when I see it........ To those who say they never noticed it didn't look up at the right times.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

How about if we try explaining it this way...

I've seen this all my life and have always known that it was mercury... Of this I am positive and have no doubt in my mind.....

Do you believe that?

Why not? Probably because I proved nothing in that statement? Your statements of how you remember the sky as you've grown proves nothing. Even professional astronomers will actually have to take reading and measurements to verify their hypothesis before it becomes conclusion....

Summary.... Your conclusion carries no weight without proof.... show me a picture with some numbers and measurements and then we can get to explaining what this is. Otherwise the only explanation is in my signature block. It's a sign of the new messiah that is being ushered into the world by the NWO.

But who would believe that... I mean really... I'm on a conspiracy site and I can't get anyone to believe what the NWO is telling them themselves.

WOW! Freakin amazing and sickening actually....

Have the rethink my subscription to this site...

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
if anyone has a telescope and the capability of taking some decent photos of this object and then uploading them please do so

i would personally like to see this through a telescope so i will know for absolute sure what were looking at here

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I haven't seen this star myself, its visible in the northern hemisphere? I doubt people are here just making a big deal over Venus. Well some of them are but i'm sure some of the people here are legit.

This "strange star" seems to coincide with Nibiru theory, from what i've read it doesn't act like a star and could be a planet. Anyone find it interesting that these are the "end times" and Lucifer (Venus) shines so bright over us.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
How long has this been observed for? I haven't noticed anyting unually in the sky but then again I'm near detroit, it seems to been cloudy for the last 3 months lol.

It is a bit worrisome because I just went to one of my amature astronomy forums and none of them seem to know what it is.

This is one persons account of it...

You can see it about 30 minutes after sunset for about an hour . . .
. . . It has been out for the last month or two at the same spot every night. . . .
. . . This "object" will pulsate for about an hour and then vanish from plain sight. It is reddish orange. . . .
. . . It's the pulsation that is odd-not regular and not moving. . . .
. . . When I searched online-people from the NE, SW and Canada have reported it as well. It pulsates and then dies out and then comes back and then dies out for good. It disappears before total dark. (around 8pm here) . . .
. . . It was brighter than Venus at times. Then it would get as dim as 4 or 5 mag. It would last for about 3 hours and vanish for the night. .

I had one idea though as I was writing this. Could it be the debre left over from the recent satellite collision. I guess that would be easy to find out assuming when the collision happened and when people started seeing this light.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellish-D

I have seen it today .. not next to moon soryr not saturn.. seemed to twinkle it looks pretty cool.. but deff not saturn

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyr Sog

Someone told me it was the space station

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I'm in New York, Long Island to be exact. I've seen it for a couple of nights now. It's not Venus. Very bright, very big and very eerie. I can't believe how it sticks out in the sky. It's like something's watching us.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Pretty easy to figure this out. Go here:

www.stellarium.org...

Download the software (it's free academic-type software), install it, plug in your location, and see if what you are seeing exists in the planetarium database. It exactly duplicates what you should see in the sky, down to the tiniest, faintest star, planet or nebula.

And besides, this is really cool and elegant software. Zoom in on the planets. Watch the moons of Jupiter rotate in real time! Zoom in on other galaxies and see actual Hubble pictures of them. Cool stuff.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
Whatever it is I think that someone will use it to their advantage. Whether they were the cause of it or not, noone knows for sure whether it's a planet or not and the speculation is enough for people to give in and say it was......

Drum roll.....

Maitraya...

This "planet" has been around for a good 5 months *at* least.. I thought it was Venus, but will admit myself that it does appear closer than Venus EVER has... too close and too bright. Meh... although, being human and all, of course I go
, the most I fear is the following...

No longer will they regard anything as their own, they will have no possession, no gold or silver, no home, no relatives! But they will lead the holy life of chastity under Maitreya's guidance. They will have torn the net of the passions, they will manage to enter into trances, and theirs will be an abundance of joy and happiness

Maitreya

I mean... holy life of chastity and no passion??? How in the hell does that equate abundant joy and happiness.

Well... I think each religion's gods should not interfere with the other's on the planet. The only G.d that I will worship is the one in who respects free will. Ridiculous!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
From here in Scotland i've been noticing it getting brighter for a long while. I use Stellarium and it tells me it's Venus.

I hear from Nasa that all the solar planets are experiencing climate change, getting warmer and brighter.

In addition, Sirius has also been rather bright, and my gf says it's flashing red and blue (am colourblind myself).

We get good clear night skies here a lot of the year. Wonderful for a stargazer like me.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
First of all when starting a topic like this please know something about stars, ive talked to and met people that didnt know stars change with the seasons because of the location of the earth in its orbit. i hate when someone says the stars look different tonight no last night u looked at the stars at 7pm its 4am they moved "stars dont move" he says god people need to learn lol. anyway its venus i check different people accounts using stellarium and starry night both confirm its venus. yes its brighter then usuall but its also getting very close to earth and the closer it gets befor its at its maximum closes the brightness will vary and get brighter. it is a sight to behold much like mars was super bright about 2 years ago. but long story short it is venus, and i love how people take pictures of "stars and planets just high enough so that we cant see any other stars the pics are always of the horizon never the sky god people. peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sergeant Stiletto
Well...I'm in the U.S. and my house faces due west and right now I can look out of my front door and see a very big - something - that does not twinkle. I mean it's big.

I'm under the impression that Venus is an early evening star, so I don't think that's it.

Does anyone else see what I'm talking about? I never noticed this until about four or five months ago.

I have been looking at this object every single night since the end of November. That is the first time that I noticed it and it was so big and bright that I called my mother and brother out to see it. They too were a bit amazed at the object and neither could decide what it is.

I have been making it a routine of looking at this object every night just to see what is going to happen with it.

Some nights it is bigger than others but it is always very bright.

Must people on ATS think that it is Venus and I would have no problem accepting that if it were not for some of the other characteristics of Venus that they share that does not support the way this object behaves.

I don't believe that is some kind of a UFO. If it were then I guess it would be safe to say that it has taken up residence in our sky. I don't know what it is and I too would like some consistent and professional reporting on this matter.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboveus87

Originally posted by AngelInterceptor
Does it look like this?

Picture removed. See picture on page 8 of this thread posted by me.

Wow

Yes, it looks like that one.

I have left both quotes in to highlight a point. The picture that aboveus87 agreed looked like the object they had seen was a picture of Venus taken approximately 3 years ago when it was in conjunction with other planets. (not to be seen in this photograph, but I have others show it quite well.)

It was BRIGHT. It was LARGE. But it was still VENUS.

I'd say that a great many people here need to learn more to understand the solar system and the movement of the planets.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

*shrugs* by far the most useful information.. but seriously; is that productive behaviour for a conspiracy site?

Honestly... the brightest object in the sky is Venus... and yes, oddly bright and close looking... who knows. All anyone can do is wait and find out. If it obliterates us all, no worries. I don't believe in an afterlife and so, I am good. If it is Maitreya, might have some problems there. What's left? Jesus... but, from my understanding, he appears in lightening, not on a spaceship. Hmmm... oh, the Islam prophet.. what does he bring, anyway? The dragon?
that is actually a tribe of Israel (Dan) and they are very much alive and human and are nothing more than "judges"...
Perhaps, it is just Venus and we are too foolishly wise to realize it is a natural occurance of cycles? Well, like I said.. most we can do is sit back, enjoy it for the time being and soon enough, another big let down for the theorists or the end of days. Time is a damn thing to have to be stuck in, huh?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well I saw something funny I am in phx AZ the date was tonight 2-13-2009 time was between 7:57 and 8:01 pm

I was looking up at the sky thinking about the satellite collision and the odds of two satellites hitting each other. Has some calculated the ODDS on that happening. Don't we spend Billions on developing technology to take down Satellites? Anyway we should stop all research because the damn things hit each other up there. Really what are the odds? Thats why I was looking at the sky tonight.

Anyway back to what I saw A Really bright object caught my attention I thought it was natural occurrence and it probably was however then I notices 2 bright objects lower than the bigger one. I thought at first I saw the two moving. Then I told myself no.. Sometime past I said something like holly sh1t they are moving. As soon as I said that a friend moved by my side but by then it was too late the objects slowly faded away. She was 10 seconds too late. It was high altitude by my estimation. The objects were close to each other with noticeable distance between the two objects... Not saying they where aliens just struck me as a little weird

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I'm not an avid skywatcher- since I have lived in a city for almost forever- but I have seen this thing as well. Let's say it's Venus. Is there a scientific article stating why it's so danged bright? I mistook the 'object' (for lack of a better term) for a slow moving plane. it gave every indication of behaving like a plane with the landing lights on. Like I said- I am not an 'avid' sky watcher, but I know my night sky- it's like looking at the back of your hand. You know there's bones, ligaments, flesh- you know where they are... you just cant name them. This thing is unfamiliar to me.

IF it's Venus- why is it reflecting nearly 100% or more of it's light? It's a comparable, Earth sized object 20 million miles away. Yes, it's shrouded in clouds- but unless Venus now has a healthy helping of dissolved metals in it's cloud composition, it cant reflect as much/ more light than it receives. Even mirrors dont throw back 100% of the light they get. For a comparison, There's a picture somewhere on Nasa's Big catalog O Mars Crap of a pic one of the rovers, I believe, took of the Earth from Mars. I think that pic needs to be found, and compared to the object everyone's been seeing. I'd like to see if it's as bright. From what I can remember of the pic, I think it was pretty hard to make us out. As a planet.

If it isnt cloudy tomorrow night, I am going to try to get a bearing of where the object is in relation to where I see it. If all else fails, a pic of where I live, (Google Earth), with hopefully a compass showing which way is which, and I will simply draw a line of viewing angle.

On a related note- is it me, or has the moon been brighter than usual, too.................?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join