It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Look people... How hard can it be to capture an image of it??
If your using a cameraphone prop it next to something and use the timer.
I've posted a pic (pg6) of Venus viewed from UK facing SW.

Get a few stars around it and a direction ... Voila.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Merkabah

What is an expert going to bring to the table?

You say its the brightest object in the sky so by your own admission you narrow the possibilities down to only a select few. Jupiter is out of the question because it is below the horizon until june/july and the next candidates you've ruled out.

Now you (a non-expert or even amateur for that matter) have so adamantly ruled out Venus, Saturn and Sirius. Making it pretty hard to guess at which star it is because you're dealing with tons of stars with similar magnitudes once you rule out those stars in question. My next guesses would be Rigel,Saiph and Betelgeuse but I'm basically just throwing out the next brightest stars in the sky.

Whatever it is, if you and your bf get a good feeling looking at it, then by all means keep on appreciating its mysterious glow.

The fun of stargazing is the mystery of it and how those mysteries shaped our cultures from the dawn of man to now.

Peace

Forgot about Mars - Its another bright one that is hidden below the horizon, so scratch that.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

I completely agree. If it is next to the moon it is probably Mars and Venus is the brightest star in the sky. I was up jogging at 2am last night and noticed it. Fortunately I have found it to be Venus and with the atmosphere the way it is around here on a clear night in winter in the mountains 5,530 feet above sea level when the temp is at 10 or below it really sparkles all kinds of colors. Sadly before I figured out what it was I too thought it was a UFO and spent about 3 hours watching it wondering, but then did my research. lol

Its sparkle all really depends on the atmosphere and where you are located. The pleiades is ridiculously bright at the top of the canyon on a clear cold night at 11,000 feet above sea level. Even then my brother asked what the hell is that cluster? lol

[edit on 13-2-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

Cultural interpretation? You can't be serious?

If you had someone tell you that you had to drop all your beliefs in whatever religion you follow and pick up and follow this false god, just because you see some sign, which has been foretold by the UN for years, would you believe it?

Surely not one person can believe that a sign like this can have any thing spiritual to it when they are telling you about it 20+years before? I mean I even told people before they saw this thing to watch out and you'll see it. Check my posts from yesteryear. I'm not a prophet...

This is part of a program to usher out christian religion and atheism. Then they will usher in their new spirituality. It won't be called a religion, because he is a teacher...
This way he is legal under the new UN law banning religion. Hasn't happened yet but it has been broached already within the UN.

Here

Rgds

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

Come on, an old link from '04 that contained all the information within to discredit itself. If I was trying to prove a point I would'nt use Anthony Last as the guy to prove it for me.

The "proposed resolution", and all publicity, was written by Anthony Last for his Formulist movement. You're believing the self-publicity of a panderer of damned nonsense. There's no evidence this has even been submitted to the UN.

Any person with an internet connection could do what Last has done. I could have a "UN Resolution" up next week to mandate every citizen of the world must wear a tinfoil hats to protect themselves from the signals coming from the aliens in their base on the dark side of the moon.

Peace

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Countent from Wall Street Journal, written in December. Hey, they are in it too.

" LOS ANGELES, Dec 12, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -
Look now for the biggest miracle of all. In the very near future a large, bright star will appear in the sky visible to all throughout the world -- night and day.
Unbelievable? Fantasy? No, a simple fact. Around a week later, Maitreya, the World Teacher for all humanity, will begin his open emergence and -- though not yet using the name Maitreya -- will be interviewed on a major US television program. "

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
nevermind

[edit on 13-2-2009 by violet]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

You have no reason to "stick" with Sirius out of a guess. You said yourself that you get sick of hearing its "Venus,Saturn or Sirius", well just do 10 minutes of research and you will be able to differentiate easily between those 3.

Those are by far the three easiest lights to find in sky this time of the year.
Sirius is in line with 3 stars that are extremely close to eachother as well as being aligned. This is called the belt of Orion. Put your finger against the highest star of the 3 in the belt (Mintaka) and draw a line through the belt continuing until you hit the brightest object in the sky... That is Sirius. I'm totally serious, that its Sirius.

Saturn is extremely easy to identify because it motors across the sky faster than all the other stars. Its orangey and rises in the east doing a nice full arc coming to set in the west. It moves so quick that it flies right through my telescopes eyepiece at high powers.

Venus is also extremely easy. Its the brightest object in the sky during sunset and sunrise but it disappears below the horizon for the majority of the day/night.

Again, its understandable that you don't want to spend the time to learn about the hundreds of stars and constellations but considering you're asking questions (what is this star) its seems silly that you haven't taken the 10 minutes to learn about the 3 objects you mentioned (Sirius, Saturn and Venus).

Bottom Line - You never have to guess when you're dealing with Sirius, Saturn or Venus.

Peace

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I disregard all these answers now because as far as I'm concerned it was never there before, during my entire lifetime, and suddenly it appears one night. I've mostly stuck with it being Sirius, if I have to say it's a star.

-----------------------------------

WIKI. WIKI. WIKI

So, you admit you've never seen this star before so you wont listen to peoples suggestions and have decided its Sirius, which happens to have been the brightest star since we were walking on all fours.

Good guess. Your prize.... A link (en.wikipedia.org...)

Peace

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
What do you guys make of all this "chatter" on the net about a strange bright star in the sky?
I have observed it myself at night. Its very bright and unmistakable. I checked selarium and it does seem to be venus as best as I can tell.
However if I am not mistaken, Planets are not supposed to twinkle or change colour. And this one does.
Feedback would be appreciated

I SEE IT TOO.........
I LIVE IN MANCHESTER UK, AND I OFTEN TAKE A NEIGHBOURS DOG FOR AWALK DURING THE EVENING TIME AROUND 9/10 PM AND THESE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS ITS BEEN THERE EXCEPTIONALLY BRIGHT,BRIGHTER THAN ANY OTHER STAR INCLUDING VENUS.......
ITS LIKE WHEN I LOOK AT IT THAT IT COMES ACROSS AS A WARNING SIGN.............OR ITS TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING HENCE ITS BRIGHTNESS

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Hey folks,
Im in the DC area and have also witnessed something odd but my version has a twist.....My wife -ultra skeptic called me at work the other night and told me she was looking at something that resembled the star of Bethlahem when seen in illustrations. She was unable to take a picture of it as bright as it was!!! I was off two nights ago and she called me to the back yard where she pointed out this star. It was there for about 5 seconds then completly disappeared while viewing this thing on a clear unseasonanly warm night. Her description was dead on ....maybe eight points to it and it seems to pulse during my viewing. This was no star, infact I'd say it was stationary somewhere below the flight path of the planes we see leaving Dulles and National.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Does it look like this?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist1978

Well its been called Lucifer, its orbit when viewed from Earth makes a pentagram. Due to its extreme brightness it confounded our ancestors with its inability to behave as other stars in the heavens, it follows the sun forever chained to our solar system (Fallen Angel).

That cultural understanding could be ingrained in our DNA through the belief that nurture can affect nature over time.

Bottom Line - Its been giving people the willies for a long.... long.... time..

Peace

I forgot to mention I'm talking about Venus..

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

Come on, an old link from '04 that contained all the information within to discredit itself. If I was trying to prove a point I would'nt use Anthony Last as the guy to prove it for me.

Ok... I don't know why you have a problem with him but how about this one.

One

Or how about this one...
Two

Or how about the United Nations themselves
U.N. Resolution

It's not like I make this stuff up.... it's all there to see and you can see that it's All Tied Together....

Rgds

link   
www.earthsky.org...

The big bright light in the south-western sky is Venus. Why is everybody noticing it now? Because it’s at it’s brightest. It doesn’t always look like this. Venus has phases like the moon. However, when it is at full, it is further away from earth, so not as bright. Sometimes the orbit places it as the morning star. But about eight months ago, the orbit is now as the evening star position . As it gets closer to earth, it appears brighter. That’s what you are seeing now, at the brightest.

My nephew bought himself a Celestron Skyscout–a nifty toy that uses GPS to tell where you are in relation to the night sky and can identify celestial objects. Over Christmas I pointed it at everything in the night sky. Like Stellarium, it identified the big bright light as Venus.

link   

Originally posted by AngelInterceptor
Does it look like this?

Wow

Yes, it looks like that one.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sergeant Stiletto
Well...I'm in the U.S. and my house faces due west and right now I can look out of my front door and see a very big - something - that does not twinkle. I mean it's big.

I'm under the impression that Venus is an early evening star, so I don't think that's it.

Does anyone else see what I'm talking about? I never noticed this until about four or five months ago.

I see the exact same thing very very bright star that does not twinkle. I cant remember ever seeing a Star or Planet that large and bright(other than the moon) It's also nowhere near the moon.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by TooManyHumans]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I live in nj and I have seen this whatever in the sky in the winter months for the last six or seven years It is very large and appears to be closer to the earth then any known star It is very bright but does not glow or shine like other object in our sky. At one time I convinced my self that it was the international space station. I allso thought that it was not round but kind of square. My wife thinks im crazy. Is this why they chemtrail us so we dont see what is up in our skys?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I've seen this star also. It showed up in the sky here this fall. It's always in the same location every evening. Last week there were three more just like it I could see 2 in the east and one in the south. The one in the south as I watched it just faded out to black. I've never seen a star do that in a less than 2 mintues time before.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
I've seen this star also. It showed up in the sky here this fall. It's always in the same location every evening. Last week there were three more just like it I could see 2 in the east and one in the south. The one in the south as I watched it just faded out to black. I've never seen a star do that in a less than 2 mintues time before.

I saw it do the same thing!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join