It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**AMAZING** Artifact On Mars!! Original JPL Picture source included!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
First of all, so far, I've called every single rock that's been called something else (statues, heads, skulls, fish, you name it), what it is.. a rock. And that includes the "skull" behind the object in question. It's a rock. At least imo.

Now.. the actual object.. now THAT is the FIRST thing I have seen that I don't just think "oh.. that's a rock." The very first. That is fairly amazing.

My sentiments exactly. The 'skull' looks like a rock, but that thing looks like a piece of discarded metal, slightly warped, with a heavier low end.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
right now there is some alien species on another planet looking at pictures of this

And debating how NO ROCK could ever possibly do that.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

now you show your naivety in your post, dont deny what possibly cud be true, study and research!!

OP i think you have found an amzing piece of photography! it seems too manmade to be a rock, it seems too constructed to be a natural occurance, peace y;all, love life for its just the first step

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Fine...I'll be the one to say it. It looks like they found the Loch Ness Monster

Many of the images posted earlier showing the unsual rock formations on Earth are mainly due to water erosion. To say it was caused by the same means is to say that the water on Mars did the same thing.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The original as pointed out by OP is quite interesting. I'd like to see it from other angles to be sure it is not just the effect of shadows and such.

As for the supposed "skull" pointed out by others, that could be any kind of rock formation that just happens to resemble that to your mind. It is undefined and sketchy at best.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It's a rock. I really dont think the entire surface of Mars is strewn with skulls, idols of worship and tools, when there are no obvious building foundations nearby.

Evidence of civillizations doesn't just hang around on the surface of the planet, it gets covered in layers of sands of time over the millenia, and becomes part of the geological strata, to be dug up by us later.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I agree with the above post. As much as I love looking at weird things on Mars. Sometimes including this one, could just be the camera angle and lighting. I'm starting to think that "bendy" bit is part of a seperate rock. And isnt actually bending as we think it is.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Very strange, it appears unique when compared to its surrounding environment; my initial thought was a packing strap? maybe from the initial landing site?

If its a rock then its not been subject to the same wind, water and sand errosion that the surrounding areas has endured and shapped the other rocks etc.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I see three separate rocks, which could look like one rock.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
just wanted to fan the flames.

I quite skeptically looked at this picture in photoshop, however when I started fooling around with various adjustments to make detail pop I noticed this.

Download the original picture and zoom in and witness how it looks like a square selection was made and the contents inside were then blurred leaving a sharp pixel edge around the rectangular area whilst everything inside is blurred.

zoomed, though you should really do this yourself to see the pixels, as resizing this up in photoshop resampled the pixels and made them less sharp:

I'll demonstrate the effect on an unrelated image as well:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The little gray alien like skull of to the right is kind of fun.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Anomic of Nihilism

Great find starred and flaggged.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I looked at it in a few image programs.

It's just a broken rock.

Rocks crack and break in really odd ways. Most of the ways look perfectly straight like someone cut the rock... but it's just they way rocks are...

images.google.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Awesome find! Has Nasa commented on this yet? Almost looks like a snake too...see the eye on it? lol I know rocks can make strange forms...but that is REALLY strange!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I see three separate rocks, which could look like one rock.

Very good observation! I could buy into this thought as the alternative is a bit harder to believe.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I see three possibilities, either Martian crabs shed their claws, there used to be plumbers on Mars, or what we have is a peculiar looking rock, I'm guessing its the third choice but who knows, could be the remnants of craftsman from the Red Planet...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sinesolis

...now I can see that square right on the raw file from jpl

Any chance this could be glitch on the "photo" itself? like too much light or... errors on the converting from the camera to a digital file-kind-of thing?

Is this why Phage is taking too long...?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

oh it most certainly could be an error in the bits of the image for sure, with no human intervention at all, but it could also be tampered with. I have no problem with whichever camp you want to subscribe to. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sinesolis

That is why I like to use the best images available, and in this case the difference is very big.

This is radiometrically corrected image.

(Click on the image for full size view)

And this is that area after some level adjustments in The Gimp.

That area is not square-shaped, it only looked like that on the image with too much contrast.

Edit: I forgot to say that it's a rock

Edit the second: I will say tomorrow where to find these radiometrically corrected images (if anyone wants to know) and I will try to find some more images from that rock, it's too late here in Portugal (01:46 AM)

Third edit to correct the link for the image

[edit on 9/2/2009 by ArMaP]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join