It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**AMAZING** Artifact On Mars!! Original JPL Picture source included!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The horizon on the pictures from the JPL strike me as somewhat strange. Are these taken from a crater? They appear to be taken from a very high vantage point in order to have that much of a rounded horizon. I understand that Mars is only about 2/3 the size of Earth, but in those pictures I get the impression the planet is only about 1/3 the size of Pluto or Mercury. It kind of looks like I could walk completely around the planet in a couple of days, this just does not seem right unless it was taken from a very elevated vantage point. Could these be fake pictures on the JPL site?

The horizon just seems to me as being too overly pronounced in it's radius. If you could see that much of the planets radius from a crater or on flat ground, I cannot believe it is as large as we are told, or else that picture is not real, or perhaps even some sort of fish-eye lens, although I can not see the purpose for that.

Look at this picture and tell me what you think:

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

But this is just my opinion. And of course I do not know what the front end of the craft looks like so I can not use that as a reference for determining if it is a fish-eye lens; however, nothing looks distorted as it does with my Nikon when I use a fish-eye lens.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by DarrylGalasso]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DarrylGalasso

en.wikipedia.org...

It just a wide angle lens. Nothing more.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Its a turtle.. run over by a mars Range Rover that has fossilised.

I agree with armap... its a rock

If you look at th op I think its solid to the ground and not a sheet of anything.

my 2c's

Sorry bout the bad humour

Mungo

[edit on 9/2/2009 by mungodave]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
If NASA had provided the other raw filter data we could get a much better idea on this than just one L7 frame..L7 is the Left UV Blue filter and the R1 is the Right UV Blue filter.

I would suspect that NASA does have the other filters of this particular shot, just wont publish it because with those other filters, we can determine if this is indeed an unusual rock formation, or something else.

Cheers!!!!

Ahhh... but what they DID provide was the left and right views, making it possible to view this scene in 3D, which I have done. If someone would clue me in as to how to go about embedding pictures in a post, I'd be happy to post the 3D version. The "wrench" is in fact 2 separate sections, the head and the handle. the handle, in a decontrasted picture, can be seen to be the upper surface of a rock that extends to the ground. Curiously, the upper end of the handle is wafer-thin, and sticks out above the rock upon which it leans. Looks about like a leaf spring would look if rested in the same position.

The "skull" anomaly at the upper end of the wrench handle can be seen to be in fact a collection of small pebbles on the ground behind the wrench handle.

Too bad I can't do this in color. Might bring out even more details.

nenothtu out

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anomic of Nihilism

Originally posted by Max_TO
First off , nice find !

Could it be parts from one of the many failed satellites that have been sent to Mars ?

Actually, that is a VERY good point.

Right now, im having a very hard time beleaving 'natural'.

I don't want to say 'ALIENS' at this time.

So some thing falling from a satallite could be a nice possibility.

Does anyone know just how many failed missions there have been to mars?
I know that the russions had something like THIRTYNINE failed attempts, but how many actually mad it to mars and crashed/burnt up?

If any failiers happened above the planet, surely we must conclued that there would be some debris on the ground?

Cheers

AoN

2/3 of all missions to Mars have failed.

nenothtu out

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This one is just to the right and above the spanner

This one is really amazing! You can see right through it! The thin wavey base and the overall shape suggest some piece of machinery.

Just ignore the sleeping Gopher...
2P173156766EFFACA0P2440R1M1.JPG

A very thin, equal thickness plate that most resembles a piece of metal sheeting.
Center Right...
2P173157084EFFACA0P2440L7M1.JPG

Interesting square blocks, very symetrical...
Lower Left...
2P173157084EFFACA0P2440L7M1.JPG

We played with this area a log time ago... there are many bits of metal looking object in that area... but they look old and partially buried...

Yeah yeah I know "its just rocks"
But yawl are gathered here so...

Here was another fun one from the same area and discussed in Mike's thread

Above is the original image Mike posted. I added the yellow rectangle. Below is the result of a search for this anomaly at NASA

It appears in three images in the SPIRIT ROVER collection Sol 29 Panorama Camera
Image # 2P146694587EFF8600P2402L7M1.JPG
Image # 2P146694689EFF8600P2402L7M1.JPG
Image # 2P146694689EFF8600P2402R1M1.JPG

All image links here
www.thelivingmoon.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvn
While it may be similar to a wrench it looks like a piece of twisted metal. Two explanations come to mind if it is twisted metal:

Wreckage from previous probes sent. Or indigenous artifact. Either way....How does metal rust without oxygen?

I concur with your view. And if oxygen = rust, then there is H2O. Of course NASA has proven H2O on Mars. Also with oxygen you can have some level of ignition for fire, causing warping/twisting of metal. Most Earth based metals lose there strength when subjected to high temps, especially when coupled with possibility of sudden impact.

However, who's to say that the object may entirely be from Earth?

Anyone care to speculate?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
AMAZING!!! EPIC FAIL OF YET ANOTHER CLAIM OF CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE OF ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

I know. I'm the big bad guy here. But come on. You would think that after hanging around ATS long enough, people would hesitate before making such utterly ridiculous claims.

Let me give you an example. I saw the title of your post. And immediately my "skeptic-dar" kicked in. Really? Is it truly amazing? Or is it going to be shown to be yet another stupid claim that some photograph taken from Mars, in which where you see a wrench and I see a naked lady, is going to be cited as "conclusive (nay, *amazing!*) evidence?

Shall I proceed? Or does it even matter?

Nah. It doesn't really matter. You're going to go through an enormous amount of leaps of logic in order to show that your Rochester test of an optical phenomenon is conclusive proof, whereas those of us who choose to follow a more scientific model will point out that such images mean.....

absolutely nothing.

But thanks for contributing to the nonsense bloat of ATS. Really. We all thank you for your stunning insights into observation and scientific fact.

Really.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It looks just like a piece of some "scrap" I saw on the side of the road yesterday.

It looks prettymuch like the same junk that is strewn all over Earth.

We have trashed this planet to the max,
and I don't believe for one minute that we haven't trashed the Moon and Mars.
Just look at the space junk We've left rotating around us !

I think it's our cr@p !!!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It's definately not a rock. You can tell it's a flat curved shaped piece of metal or composite material. This is most likely from what has been said about the cheap lost junk scattered all over the surface. It is depressing that these idiots at NASA are paid by the government to play around with their remote control vehicles scouring these so called "vacant" worlds in search for rocks. All points of interest are ignored. The face on Mars. Cydonia. What no rover there? These projects should not be funded. NASA should be shut down and dismantled. Taking pictures of rocks should not be funded. Who really are these people and why are they being paid for this ignorance. Nobody cares about rocks. It's not the interest of the American people or the reast of the world. The US can bring itself out of this economic crisis for the price of one nuclear bomb. I'm picking NASA or the Vatican as prime locations and I will be more than honored to press that red candy coated like shiny button.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by thrasheeI saw the title of your post. And immediately....

...couldn't resist my urge to rush right in"

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thrashee
AMAZING!!! EPIC FAIL OF YET ANOTHER CLAIM OF CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE OF ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

I know. I'm the big bad guy here. But come on. You would think that after hanging around ATS long enough, people would hesitate before making such utterly ridiculous claims.

Let me give you an example. I saw the title of your post. And immediately my "skeptic-dar" kicked in. Really? Is it truly amazing? Or is it going to be shown to be yet another stupid claim that some photograph taken from Mars, in which where you see a wrench and I see a naked lady, is going to be cited as "conclusive (nay, *amazing!*) evidence?

Shall I proceed? Or does it even matter?

Nah. It doesn't really matter. You're going to go through an enormous amount of leaps of logic in order to show that your Rochester test of an optical phenomenon is conclusive proof, whereas those of us who choose to follow a more scientific model will point out that such images mean.....

absolutely nothing.

But thanks for contributing to the nonsense bloat of ATS. Really. We all thank you for your stunning insights into observation and scientific fact.

Really.

Wow... what an entrance... Almost as though we should care. All you've done is batted is aside, saying "No, it's not a wrench! THE END! ALL BELIEVE ME!"

Seems odd. I really get the impression that you believe we should all just change our minds.

Man, I hate it when people speak as though they're 100% sure on topics that can swing either way.

Anyway, after saying all that, on to the image.

I'm a graphics designer, so I spend quite a lot of time editing images, cropping, cutting... basic manipulation. Now, the very first thought I had regarding this image, is that someone's cut and pasted something on top of it.

That's right, Thrashee, I'm being a sceptic saying it's not a wrench or a rock on mars, but this is just my opinion... i'm not attacking everyone else.

To be honest though, I don't know what it is. As you say it's in the RAW image, it shouldn't have any edits...but something is wrong. It looks cut, smudged and blurred. Almost as though placed there to see if anyone will notice it.

Anyway, just a guess... I might be way off, but immediately my 'graphic-dar' went off... and that usually means something.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if when some of you look at clouds you see magnificent animals?
I don't.
I also don't see anything in that rock, but, well, rock.
I've seen potatoes that look like President Nixon.
If Mars had potatoes I'd probably be all set.

peace

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Star and flag! We may not know just what it is at this point, but we (most of us) see it as something out of the ordinary. Not just another rock that we want to see as "something". Thanks!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
what's also interesting is the shapes of the "rocks" around it. To the left of the snake head looking thing is a half buried rock thing that looks like a 3 layered pyramid thing and to the right of the snake head shaped object is a rock that looks like it has a hole through it. Not to mention the skull rock. To the left of the skull rock, behind the pyramid thingy is an oddly, polygon shaped rock that doesn't look very natural compared to the other rocks lying around.

I wouldn't doubt that there could be artifacts of a civilization long extinct from before the Mars core cooled and there was still water on the planet. I'm willing to bet that in the future, if we ever get a base built on Mars, we could do an archeological dig and find all sorts of things like this. Who knows.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Sometimes I wonder if when some of you look at clouds you see magnificent animals?

Oh yes... like the Dragons...

I don't.

I pity you then... but don't knock those that do

Cloud Appreciation Society
cloudappreciationsociety.org...
Credit: © Modestino Carbone

Magestic Dragon
South Florida
Dec 7th 2008

Original

Credit: © Diverdown

link   

link   
I've been looking at people's posts and have seen some good arguments for this possibly being a rock. This anomalous object could simply be a piece of shale or sandstone too. We do know that liquid water once flowed on the surface of mars. Perhaps there were sandstone deposits created by that same rushing water since sandstone is sedimentary and there certainly seems to be alot of sand on mars.

Because of how sandstone forms over time, it can create loosely compacted layers of sediment basically crushed together under pressure. If you have ever encountered sandstone on the bank of a lake or river then you know that you can literally watch the layers fall apart while you hold it. It is extremely light too (at least in comparison to most other rock and mineral deposits).

It is possible that sometime in ancient martian history this sedimentary rock we see in the photo was

1-forced around by rushing water from an ancient ocean, lake, or river and ended up leaning up against another rock.

2-The water all pretty much disappears over time from the surface of mars.

3-You end you with a very peculiar looking rock leaning against another larger, very different looking rock.

On to the other side of the argument though..
That one anomalous object is not the only bizarre looking object in the photo.. This one seems almost more peculiar to me than the object pointed out by the op..

Cropped image posted by the op:

This is the bizarre looking object directly to the right of the elongated one
(cropped from the original and resized). This thing stands out like a sore thumb too.

(cropped from the original, resized, and with very slight noise reduction).

-ChriS

[edit on 10-2-2009 by BlasteR]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join