It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graffiti girl jailed for first offence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

It's obvious by your response that you do not like my opinion either. Practice what you preach

This is an absolute CLASSIC case of disproportionate response, next we will be seeing people jailed for jaywalking, or better yet for throwing Mcdonalds pickles onto the ceiling and seeing how long they stick for.

Absobloodylutely ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Yes it was disproportionate. But unfortunately, this is a glimpse of the future.
The Judge's ruling has set a precedent.

locking up criminals? I wish that it were so, here in the UK, life for murder means about 15 years in many cases

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I keep reminding these folks that the normal procedure in such minor offenses is the offender serves probably 2 weeks max, even if that. And the rest on probation.

But for some reason, they seem to ignore that point too.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Man you people really need to find another source for informaiton. Your too youtubed to death. How about finding a TV stations website there in Sydney and see if they have a video of the case. That would be FAR more credible than any youbloobe video.

You're welcome to search, if you wish. I'm on dial-up 56K, so it makes my searching very difficult, especially for videos.

The news item was on Channel 10, Melbourne, played just after 11pm. It might be in the Channel 10 archives, I don't know.

The source of the video/pictures doesn't matter, as it's the content that matters. I really want people in this thread to see why she's being sent to jail. To see her 'crime'.

NuclearPaul, the 'judge' has put himself in a nasty situation now. Either he's done it knowing he'll be backed or he's needing a career change.

(PS: The sport is war, total war, when the end is a slaughter... Castrate society, fictional reality... etc.)

link   

Originally posted by Kryties

It's obvious by your response that you do not like my opinion either. Practice what you preach

This is an absolute CLASSIC case of disproportionate response, next we will be seeing people jailed for jaywalking, or better yet for throwing Mcdonalds pickles onto the ceiling and seeing how long they stick for.

Well if I were you I wouldnt go to certian cities where they do have laws against jaywalking and do hand out tickets for that and if you ignore that ticket you do get a warrant issued and when caught you do go to jail...all for jaywalking.

This is an absolute CLASSIC case of numbed and dumbed part of society that thinks no one is accountable for any offense no matter how insiginficant they think it is even tho the law thinks otherwise.

Cheers!!!!

link   
reply to post by RFBurns

It's the original sentence that counts, and she wil have to deal with this for the rest of her life....being treated like a criminal by employers all because she wrote her name on a wall in black texta. If anyone thinks this is fair, and proportionate, you really need to get out more and see the world.

Here come the jail terms for the Macca's pickle throwers.....

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I keep reminding these folks that the normal procedure in such minor offenses is the offender serves probably 2 weeks max, even if that. And the rest on probation.

While you're reminded that it's not normal to send someone to jail for writing your name on a wall.

Especially, when it's a first offence!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I doubt the judge put himself in any position at all. Im sure that the city and business owners out there dont appreciate people writting on their walls that the owners have to pay the bill to clean them up and they get written on again and again..and perhaps businesses in Sydney are sick and tired of it..as probably this judge is in dealing with these law breaking graffiti artists.

In fact, it might be prudent to look up Sydney's graffiti laws and find out the history of this activity. Might help give some prospective on why that judge threw the book at this young woman.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

not liking an opinion is inherent to an internet forum discussion- that is not what I said, I commented on you gettin all hysterical and asking people not to judge which is exactly what you were doing yourself.

our legal systems are riddled with UNDER proportionate responses , for rapists, murderers etc and you are getting all antsy over some woman who breaks the law and receives a 3 month sentence for which she probably won't even serve half?!?!

I suggest you save your tirades for murderers getting out after 15 years...........

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I doubt the judge put himself in any position at all. Im sure that the city and business owners out there dont appreciate people writting on their walls...

Again, you're acting like the rest of society is so law abiding and decent.

How many of those businesses would shudder, if they knew that they were going to be tax audited?

She's going to jail for writing her name on a wall. How much jail time should ANY of those business owners serve for the laws that they break? Please don't tell me that you think a cafe would obey every single law that it's supposed to?

Glass houses and people casting stones without sins... It might come back to haunt them some day. When a girl gets put in jail for writing her name on a wall, like NuclearPaul wrote, it gets worse in the future for other 'crimes'.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

It's the original sentence that counts, and she wil have to deal with this for the rest of her life....being treated like a criminal by employers all because she wrote her name on a wall in black texta. If anyone thinks this is fair, and proportionate, you really need to get out more and see the world.

erm, she is a criminal, she broke a law and got convicted, rightly so

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

While you're reminded that it's not normal to send someone to jail for writing your name on a wall.

Especially, when it's a first offence!

Again, do you know or does our other friend there just popping in have any clue as to what the laws are in Sydney about such activities as writting on public or private property, and what the history is of the cases seen in court over that activity, and what this young woman's complete history is?

You both are leaving out so much and relying on only 1 news article to base your absolute stance that she doesnt deserve what she got.

Maybe she doesnt deserve it. But there has to be a reason why she got the 3 months.

And does the article state that the offense and judgement does not allow for bail while awaiting appeal?

No..it doesnt.

Lots of missing facts here so if I was you guys I would seek out those facts first.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

How many of those businesses would shudder, if they knew that they were going to be tax audited?

this is really bizzarre reasoning, if they are investigated for tax purposed and found to commit a criminal act they would be prosecuted, same for this woman.

Utterly bizzarre

She's going to jail for writing her name on a wall. How much jail time should ANY of those business owners serve for the laws that they break?

If they commit murder I think they should be executed, I think cafe owners should be treated the same as this woman in respect of laws they break, this is one of the strangest discussions Ive had

Please don't tell me that you think a cafe would obey every single law that it's supposed to?

and if they are caught they will be convicted, same as this woman may well have broken the law before

Glass houses and people casting stones without sins...

live in the bible if you wish, now back to the real world where society has laws

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
not liking an opinion is inherent to an internet forum discussion- that is not what I said, I commented on you gettin all hysterical and asking people not to judge which is exactly what you were doing yourself.

Getting all hysterical? HAHAHAHA. Cheers mate, thanks for the good laugh there....

our legal systems are riddled with UNDER proportionate responses , for rapists, murderers etc and you are getting all antsy over some woman who breaks the law and receives a 3 month sentence for which she probably won't even serve half?!?!

You seem to be missing the simple point that she shoud never have been jailed in the first place for something that should have required no more than some Community Service hours and a good kick up the ass from the judge. Do not try and play down a 3 month jail sentence, it can only take a few days in jail for someone's life to be ruined entirely all for what? If TPTB think that this is sending a message out to the 'graphiti' community maybe they should take a look at how well things like new tougher 'gun laws' are working out......especially in the UK.

Not to mention the fact that this trial would have sucked up large amounts of taxpayer money that could have been put to better use catching someone who bloody deserves it....you know those murderers you keep mentioning....

Doesn't take a genious to figure this one out.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

And does the article state that the offense and judgement does not allow for bail while awaiting appeal?
No..it doesnt.
Lots of missing facts here so if I was you guys I would seek out those facts first.

You're either forgetting or omitting the fact that some of us have seen the news report on TV, which went into more detail than the news article in the original link.

Keep on searching, RFBurns and I'm sure there will be more for you to find. I've got to sign out soon for some sleep.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

This isnt about businesses, its about someone who broke the law and put writting on private property, obviously something that the business owner does not appreciate.

She's going to jail for writing her name on a wall. How much jail time should ANY of those business owners serve for the laws that they break? Please don't tell me that you think a cafe would obey every single law that it's supposed to?

Again, this case is about this young woman, not about the businesses. Are you implying that the resturant does illegal business activity now to divert attention away from the issue here?

Glass houses and people casting stones without sins... It might come back to haunt them some day. When a girl gets put in jail for writing her name on a wall, like NuclearPaul wrote, it gets worse in the future for other 'crimes'.

Who is casting stones here? You, me, other members participating in this lovely little chit chat have NO idea what the laws are in Sydney because no one has taken the time out to go and find out. I dont need to, I already know what kind of laws they have in Sydney, I was there 6 years ago on assignment. And I can tell you that back then, Sydney had a very serious graffiti problem. It is logical that today, Sydney does not take graffiti acts lightly.

So how about we find out more information about this case and about the current graffiti laws in Sydney eh? Sounds like a logical course of action to resolve alot of unknowns I think.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

You're either forgetting or omitting the fact that some of us have seen the news report on TV, which went into more detail than the news article in the original link.

Keep on searching, RFBurns and I'm sure there will be more for you to find. I've got to sign out soon for some sleep.

Then post us the link to that tv station's website so we can get more info instead of just telling us you saw it on tv.

Just about every single tv station on the planet has a website. If tv stations in Lebanon have websites, Im sure that one you saw the report also has a website.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

You seem to be missing the simple point that she shoud never have been jailed in the first place for something that should have required no more than some Community Service hours and a good kick up the ass from the judge.

I do not think you or I are in possession of the facts, but frankly I have no sympathy for some s woman runnin around breaking the law by writing on walls, like I say wait for the full background to the case

Do not try and play down a 3 month jail sentence, it can only take a few days in jail for someone's life to be ruined entirely all for what? If TPTB think that this is sending a message out to the 'graphiti' community maybe they should take a look at how well things like new tougher 'gun laws' are working out......especially in the UK.

This is a silly example- the tougher gun laws were against LEGALLY held guns, not criminal guns, which were always illegal- gun crime has exploded in the UK because of family breakdown, welfare and lack of moral compass

Not to mention the fact that this trial would have sucked up large amounts of taxpayer money that could have been put to better use catching someone who bloody deserves it....you know those murderers you keep mentioning....

I dont think prosecuting a crime is a wast of money, wastes of money are all those "TRANSGENDER OUTREACH WORKERS" employed by councils.

The murderers "I KEEP MENTIONING" are worth repeating until it sinks in- the real criminal injustice is that paedophiles and murderers are not executed, so Im not losing sleep over some woman who thinks she can write on somebody's wall

Doesn't take a genious to figure this one out.

just would help if the person had a modicum of coherence

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
live in the bible if you wish, now back to the real world where society has laws

Please, I despise the bible but I won't go there in this thread. They sayings do have some merit though, especially in this case.

Yeah, the real world, where an 18 year old female is put in jail for three months for writing her name on a wall.

You sure that we're discussing the same, real world here?

Kryties, I bet that if she had have thrown a McD's pickle over her name tag, then someone would have considered it an art piece and she probably could have sold the conceptual design for millions. More real world reasoning, huh?

Some people can't see that not fighting for her rights means that all of our rights get flushed down the dunny as well.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

And your calling everyone else here armchair judge? I think your doing plenty of that as well.

2nd line goes here.

Cheers!!!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join