It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graffiti girl jailed for first offence

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
OMG why is everyone here so stupid, lesson number one that was thought to me, If I break the law I go to jail, no if's or but's about it, regardles of wether or not I think the law is stupid.
She broke the law, she goes to jail, simple as, and if i was the owner of the business that she vandalised i would bring her to small claims court when she gets out of jail.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by becomingawareIf I caught a kid, especially an 18 year old girl tagging the side of my business that I own ( and yes I do own a company ), I wouldn't call the cops. I would stand outside with them while they painted over it or cleaned it up.

for your sake - i hope you never actually attempt anything so preposterous in the real world

do you REALLY think that crap is going to work - at best they will tell you to fook off and laugh at you - at worst turn on you with violence

the very fact they are vandalising your shop SHOULD be a indicator that they have ZERO respect for you

we have a name for them in the UK - its ` feral chavscum `

and here - your " solution " will get you stabbed

PS - your vid is a fake

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Europe

No, you are comparing Murder (the unlawful killing of another human being with intent (or malice aforethought)) with Graffiti (the name for images or lettering scratched, scrawled, painted or marked in any manner on property.)

Incidentally, I can't stand most graffiti myself (except for some of the proper commisioned ones) but I do not believe a jail sentence is at all appropriate for a first time offender.

If this were a repeat offender then yes, it would be a more proportionate response, but this girl should have received no more than some Community Service hours and a stern talking to by the judge.

The fact that she has a right to appeal and it will probably by quashed is not the point. The point is the judge used disproportionate force on a first time offender.

EDIT TO SAY: The laws were only changed to these new, harsher laws in January this year so she is the first person being judged based on it. No-one has had a chance to hear about them until now so people's excuse that 'She knew the law' is mute because she could not have unless she went searching for them. They were never announced to my knowledge.

[edit on 2/2/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Europe
She broke the law, she goes to jail, simple as, and if i was the owner of the business that she vandalised i would bring her to small claims court when she gets out of jail.

I'm sure you would. I'm done with this thread. I can't stand small minded comments like yours.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by becomingaware

Run to the hills because you don't like what your hearing.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

If i kill some one i break the law.
If i vandalise someones property I break the law.
When i break the law i get punished.
stop getting worked up over symantics and recognise the fact that she broke the law.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
3 months is pretty ridiculous for this level of crime, I know of people who got that much for common assault or the likes, a much more serious crime.

I can understand the argument that ALL crimes need to be dealt with more harshly, but until that is instituted all round, this is clearly disproportionate sentencing.

Although yes, she is an adult, she's still very young, and this conviction will give her a lot of trouble. I had a very minor conviction like this, and for 5 years I couldn't get any job better than very low wage non skilled manual labor. After 5 years I no longer had to declare it to employers, and all of a sudden I was back in skilled office worker jobs.

For her, because it's prison, and not just a fine, it will probably be 10 years that she can't get a good job, that kind of thing actually is likely to increase crime in my opinion.

My solution to this would have been...

First try and get some mutual agreement on an adequate payment to the cafe owner, a few hundred dollars or so, to cover cleaning up, and as compensation.

If that cannot be agreed upon, then the courts should impose a small fine (few hundred dollars again), with a police caution. This would mean it doesn't ruin her life on the first offence, as she wouldn't have to declare it to potential employers, but it would be on record, so that if she is ever caught committing a crime again, it will be taken into account.

Those steps are actually the normal ones in the area I live, although occasionally judges/magistrates who are having a bad day do stupid things like happened in this case.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm from Texas. I carry a firearm.
If the kid turned on me while I was giving him a second chance, and tried to become violent with me, I'm calling the cops while kneeling on there back with them at gun point.

I know the vid was fake, scroll up and read ALL of the thread.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
reply to post by Europe

You cant compare graffitti to murder, that's just ridiculous.

Come on man, are you serious?

[edit on 2-2-2009 by becomingaware]

thats why she received 3 months, but the point is the same.

Such anti social behaviour I doubt occurred in a vaccuum- this woman didnt just look up from her copy of Shakespeare and decide to vandalise a wall, probably part of a group we all know and love from our city centres, sneering attitude, authority cant touch em

Well authority did touch em, think on again love

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
One major mistake being made here.

Breaking the law does NOT = go to jail.
Breaking the law DOES = receive some kind of punishment, which MAY happen to include going to jail.
In this particular case, as every crime has its own context, a less 'harsh' but by no means less severe (i.e, hard working community service, or monetary damages) sentence could surely have been found.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Europe

LOL I would suggest rereading my posts. I never said she did not break the law, I said they used disproportionate force in punishing her. What part of.....

Originally posted by Kryties
This is an absolute CLASSIC case of disproportionate response

....And....

she shoud never have been jailed in the first place for something that should have required no more than some Community Service hours and a good kick up the ass from the judge.

....did you not understand??

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Even a Texan judge, a reasonable one, wouldn't give a girl 3 months in jail on a FIRST OFFENCE. Probation yes, Picking up trash on the side of the street, yes. Not 3 months. And we have the highest prison population in America.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Europe

So you a business owner would take the girl who just got out of jail (probaly lost her job if she had one) to small claims court "after" she has already been punished?

You make me worry.......
Lets hope you dont accidentaly get in trouble with the law one day, Im sure you would be one of the first snivelling and crying for your freedom

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
reply to post by Europe

You make me worry.......
Lets hope you dont accidentaly get in trouble with the law one day, Im sure you would be one of the first snivelling and crying for your freedom

Absolutely.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
you make me worry.......

although she didnt "accidentally" decide to vandalise someone's wall did she....

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
Even a Texan judge, a reasonable one, wouldn't give a girl 3 months in jail on a FIRST OFFENCE. Probation yes, Picking up trash on the side of the street, yes. Not 3 months. And we have the highest prison population in America.

tbh in the UK the judge would probably have blamed society, so I don't lose any sleep over 3 months *which she wont serve anyway* as anti social behaviour, in the UK at least, is a major proble,.

I just can't get worked up over such a case, I get worked up over murderers getting 15 years that is real injustice

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

You say you can't get worked up over this and yet you have responded to 6 pages already.

I hear that clock ticking down on the Macca's pickle throwing arrests coming to a police station near you......

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

You say you can't get worked up over this and yet you have responded to 6 pages already.

er yeah, Im not getting worked up an annoyed about this vandal receiving 3 months, Im just responding to those who are, you following all this

I hear that clock ticking down on the Macca's pickle throwing arrests coming to a police station near you......

if I ever throw pickles around a restauarant and get charged with some sort of crime, Ill let you know- meanwhile I can assure you I wont be vandalising some shop, how does that sound

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If I come off hostile I'm sorry. I had a friend that was a graffitti artist. He was arrested for doing a "legal mural". The owner of the store was at lunch and couldn't tell the police officer that it was commisioned.

He was beaten to death before he could go to court by an inmate that was there for armed robbery. It was over a chess game. I'll see if I can find the newspaper artice.

The state ended up compensating his family. The police officer wasn't fired.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

The only person I see getting worked up here is you, I am serious. Most of the other posters seem to be rational, critical thinkers who deduce that 3 months jail for a first time offender is rather a large payment for the crime. They are being compassionate to the girl because she did not deserve that harsh a treatment, ESPECIALLY as it was a first time offense.

You even tried to accuse ME of being hysterical, which in a way I was: Hysterical with laughter at your accusation

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join