It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graffiti girl jailed for first offence

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by Master Shen long

although she didnt "accidentally" decide to vandalise someone's wall did she....

I wasnt on about her i was on about Europe considering he/she may 1 day accidently break the law (im presuming by the poster attitude the claim they never do/have). Its sods law everyone on the planet will break the law at some point, Intentional or not..... Myself and you included.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
If I come off hostile I'm sorry. I had a friend that was a graffitti artist. He was arrested for doing a "legal mural". The owner of the store was at lunch and couldn't tell the police officer that it was commisioned.

He was beaten to death before he could go to court by an inmate that was there for armed robbery. It was over a chess game. I'll see if I can find the newspaper artice.

The state ended up compensating his family. The police officer wasn't fired.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by becomingaware]

So sorry to hear that.....

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

Thanks, it was a long time ago. We were both 17. It was the same year Texas passed a law that 17 was old enough to try as an adult.....I can't seem to find the artice, I'll keep looking. My point is jails and prisons dont usually seperate the violent from the petty criminals.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
The only person I see getting worked up here is you, I am serious. Most of the other posters seem to be rational, critical thinkers who deduce that 3 months jail for a first time offender is rather a large payment for the crime.

think you are changing the meaning of words, I am just methodically pointing out the ridiculous nature of much of the outrage- check back earlier, someone was going off on one ranting about people judging etc, again, I found this odd, on an internet forum with opinions

They are being compassionate to the girl because she did not deserve that harsh a treatment, ESPECIALLY as it was a first time offense.

debatable whether she did or did not, don't know the full facts of the case and neither do you- an act of vandalism receives a sentence which is permissable under Aussie law, big deal

You even tried to accuse ME of being hysterical, which in a way I was: Hysterical with laughter at your accusation

[edit on 2/2/2009 by Kryties]

sure, that's right

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
I wasnt on about her i was on about Europe considering he/she may 1 day accidently break the law (im presuming by the poster attitude the claim they never do/have). Its sods law everyone on the planet will break the law at some point, Intentional or not..... Myself and you included.

yep, life's a gamble, but she willingly decided to vandalise, I just don't think she is the victim here, she won't do the full time, the Aussie prisons aren't thai prisons

Anti social behaviour and disgregard for others is all pervasive in our current moral malaise- she voluntarily vandalised a wall

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Ya and I think I'd put you in jail for over consumtion of donuts... sounds like a good charge and I'll make you pay 10k in damages because I find eating donuts to be disgusting. Hey I can play corrupt old retarded judge tooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
She broke the law, this can't be denied. However this sentence is very strong, far to much. I mean you get less time for shoplifting! I think a sensible sentence would have been making her clean it off the surface she defaced. If that wasn't possible then simply making her pay it off out of her own money, maybe making her work at the cafe for free collecting glasses or something as a community service option.

Three months in prison and a criminal record, just unbelievably harsh.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Harsh, yes. Unfair? Maybe, but welcome to Life. I remember when I used to get upset when Life was unfair to me. I was 5 years old. Now, I get over it and move on like everyone else.

What would happen if this young vandel were allowed to pay for her crimes in PURELY monetary terms? (I.e. She did $200 worth of damage, so make her pay $200) Do you really want to live in a world where we can avoid certain laws with the mere payment of money?

Oh yeah! That would be fair. (He said sarcastically.)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You do the crime, you do the time.

An old saying, but it's the truth. This woman is not a kid. 18 year olds know better than that. Jeez, at 18 I was in my 2nd year of college and living on my own...wouldn't have even though about graffiti.

I can't believe that there are people out there defending her and saying she shouldn't have gotten the 3 months. She did something illegal, so should pay for it. Laws are laws...obey them or suffer the consequences.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
^^ You may have a point, but keep in mind that different people mature at different rates.

Either way, she should've paid a fine and cleaned up her graffiti, since it was her first offense. A tiny bit too harsh, me thinks.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Good for them! I think if judges were this harsh on kids convicted of their first crimes, they'd think twice befire re offending.

yes,,,but think of the cost of housing her for 3 months

would not community service have been better

that would cost tax payers zero dollars

and maybe some benefit to the community, she could pickup litter,,,do clean up etc etc

kind of stupid if you ask me

and i think having to do 100 hours of community service is worse than sitting on your butt in jail

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

'i understand what you and the other are saying but jut because you do something against the law doesn't automaticly entitle you to a prison sentence does it?

If you run a red light would it be fair for you to go to jail for 3 months? Well your action could of killed somebody, her actions could not...... The punishment should be fair and just..... If you got that 3 month sentence you could be sure members here at ATS would be up in arms in your defence, Not about you running the red light but about the severity of your punishment

Please people, If you are happy for someone to go to jail for 3 months for graffiti for a 1st offence maybe you should all move to Saudi Arabia... U know SA, the place where they will cut your hand off for stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family..... Is that just and fair?

Some of the reactions to this incident make me very worried about how far you will let your government go

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Whats the point of a 18 year old spray painting there name into a wall? Well she wanted attention and she got it.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by shortywarn

Good for them! I think if judges were this harsh on kids convicted of their first crimes, they'd think twice befire re offending.

yes,,,but think of the cost of housing her for 3 months

would not community service have been better

that would cost tax payers zero dollars

and maybe some benefit to the community, she could pickup litter,,,do clean up etc etc

kind of stupid if you ask me

and i think having to do 100 hours of community service is worse than sitting on your butt in jail

Community service? are you serious? Do you actually think a 18 year old is afraid of that? If she didn't want to go to jail she shouldn't have spray painted her name into a wall. I mean what the point of spray painting your name into a wall??

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If it was public property would you feel differently?
If she had drawn something other than her name would you feel differently?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm on the fence about the subject. It seems like a harsh punishment for the first offence. On the other hand though, it just crumbles my cookies when I see tagging on walls and signs freeway over passes (which I still quite know how they get there and are so neat). If you're trying to sell your home and the potential buyer sees tagging going on in the neighborhood or just general area, they might hold off. I don't want to look at tagging, and these kids should get more than just a slap on the wrist for defacing public property.

Although there is the reasoning that maybe if judges were more strict, then the person would be less likely to repeat that action. My brother in law has been arrested three times, two of them having been the same offence. Nothing ever happens to him. He stands right before a judge, spouting off a load of lies with his 'innocent' looking face and they let him go with no real consequences. It's only a matter of time before he slips back into his old routine, in fact, he's already starting to. I can't help but think that if his punishment was more harsh the first time around, then maybe he'd stop before making a stupid decision again.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

reply to post by tezzajw

Your right she should have to pay the $200, and do the jail time and then go appoligise to to the store owner as well!

No she should pay $200 and apologize to the owner, but NO jail time. Jail time is just ridiculous!!!

That's how humans solve problems, they talk to each other, apologize and solve the problem.

How is jail time going to make this first offence better? She's probably going to end up making"friends" from her experience in jail.....not good.

Talking to her, making her apologise and coming to a understanding, a respectful agreement would benefit her.

Sending her to an atmosphere full of negativity and bad people will not help her. People adapt to their surroundings, which means jail time will make her have to adapt to their way of thinking, or she's going to get picked on.

Peace.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
You do the crime, you do the time.

An old saying, but it's the truth. This woman is not a kid. 18 year olds know better than that. Jeez, at 18 I was in my 2nd year of college and living on my own...wouldn't have even though about graffiti.

I can't believe that there are people out there defending her and saying she shouldn't have gotten the 3 months. She did something illegal, so should pay for it. Laws are laws...obey them or suffer the consequences.

And maybe this is the reason why this world is so messed up, people don't use common sense, instead they just say, laws are laws, obey them!

In my opinion this is another example of people taking things too serious, making the world a depressing place. Most of our problems come from people being too serious, too quick to judge and punish, too angry, too negative.

Peace.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
thats still better than the felony you can be charged with as a graffiti artist in NY currently.

and as a former active graffiti artist, i would know

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Jester

Just to clear a point she didnt spray here name into a wall, she used a marker pen........

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join