It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scars of the girl beaten for being English in Scotland.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus

Well the scots are brutal... I'm part scottish and part english...

...but mostly moron?

Jesus, I didnae realise ye kent every singul wan o' us! An' am a brute an' aw ye say? Hoots mon! Weel, mebbe ah'd best be gettin' oot ma claymore, pullin' oan ma kilt an' start livin' up tae yur crass stereotype then, hadn't ah? Dae ye want me tae gie some wummin a richt good slappin? Awright then, I suppose it's whit ah normally dae every nicht, but then am gaun aff tae chase haggis afore goin' back tae ma wee hoose! Am gonnae drink whisky frae th' boatull and pap some Harry Lauder oan the wireless! A deep fried mars bar wid go doon a treat an' aw!

Ignorant buffoon

[edit on 16/1/09 by sotp]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
There is some complete bollocks being posted in this thread.

If I posted that I hated everyone from Nigeria or Pakistan I would be almost universally condemned for being racist and would probably punished somehow for contravening T&C, however it is perfectly ok to state that someone hates and despises the whole English nation.
Hypocrisy and double standards yet again.

And as for some of the reasoning....

What utter nonsense.

To use Thatcher as a justification for hating English

I live in North East England and lived through the whole of the Thatcher years and felt the full effect of her policies.
Thatcher #ed N.E. England over more than possibly any other part of the UK.
There isn't a shipyard on the Tyne, Tees or Wear anymore, there is barely a single pit open, the steel mills are nearly all shut, all as a direct result of her policies.
Whole communities have been ripped apart.

As for celebrating English / British sporting success?
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all had celebration parades for their returning Olympic heroes, all revelling in their independant national pride....no such honour was offered to English Olympians who had to settle with being part of the overall UK Olympic celebrations.
Hardly the English pushing themselves to the fore.

Andrew Murray wallows in his Scottishness and takes great delight in telling everyone that he is Scottish and not British, and he get's lauded and praised for taking such a stance.
I wonder what the reaction would be if an Englishman showed such a public display of English nationalism.
Those arrogant English Bastards again I suppose.
Hypocrisy and double standards again.

As for a joint UK footbll team.
No way, too many free loaders in the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FA's to allow that to happen.
That has nothing to do with football and more to do with 'job's for the boy's'!

As for the English being despised for our history.
Grow up!
It is what it is and has absolutely nothing to do with me our anyone else alive today what happened at Bannockburn, Prestonpans, Culloden or anywhere else.
As previously stated, the English were no more bloody or cruel than other nations of the day.

Again we use the morals and standards of today to judge the actions of yesterday, a fool hardy practice which always leads to bigotry and hatred.
Should we judge the whole Spanish nation today for The Inquisition and the wholescale slaughter committed in it's colonies in Northern, Central and Southern America?
Of course not, it's nonsense, so why is it ok to treat the English so?

Niall had it about right when summarising the difference in attitude shown to people from various parts of England.
The bowler hat wearing gent and the barbour jacket wearing toff is no more representative of the English than Rab C Nesbitt or Alex Salmond is of the Scottish.

I enjoy the banter and craic I have with my Scottish friends, and I have a hell of a lot of them.
We also enjoy the odd heated debate, always over a few pints etc, and two things we always agree upon...we have more in common than seperates us and total disolution of the Union will be detrimental to both countries.

Anyway, a bit of light relief:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
As usual, some words of sanity from Freeborn. It didn't seem as prominent before, but a LOT of anti-English sentiment has become apparent in the latter part of this thread. That's a shame.

Originally posted by Niall197
The Southern English, the Home Counties it's those people who are despised. The ruling classes, the persons to whom we've been doffing our caps the last few hundred years, the Barbour jacket brigade who come up in their Range Rovers for fishing & shooting and being general pains in the arse...
End of the day the Scots are no longer prepared to take dictat from London, we're no longer afraid to say that either & if the powers that be don't like it then tough. If that ruffles a few feathers alls good in the world.

Is it the Southern English, or the ruling class you hate? There are an awful lot of working-class and middle-class Englishmen in the home-counties - like myself - who are as far removed from 'the Barbour jacket brigade' as you are. I'm glad the Scots are no longer bowing to the powers in London. An awful lot of us Southerners feel the same way. Just because we're geographically closer to the 'City of London', doesn't make us any closer in terms of class, ideal, or crime than the Scots, Scousers, Geordies or Cornish.

Again, I hope I'm treated politely by the Scots next week, because I'm looking forward to being among them.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

its not racism its nationalism -scottish and english are the same race...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I dont care really,ive met some really nasty english folks,really nasty scottish folks,irish folks,welsh..the list goes on.I really dont see why people are so upset and keep bringing up something which happened hundreds of years ago...And i also dont think this incident has anything to do with Scotland,this could easily happen in any other country in the UK.I think the whole of the UK is going through a dark patch,we are in a deep deep hole imo across all of our society,and its only going to get worse.This sort of thing is just the tip of the iceberg,and i doubt its a rare case.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
i have read all your posts about how us scottish are draining all your money and i think its great , for long you have raped our country of all its worths , now i say go gordon do your worst bring them to their knees

gordon brown what a guy

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Why is this even still going on?

Two idiots (irrespective of race,ethnicity,nationality) beat up a WOMAN!!
That's it... simple.
All the "well england is more racist than scotland".. "no but scotland are more brutal" .. no "we are poorer" rubbish is irrelevant!

They did it, case closed... it proves that there are some mindless thugs and xenophobic..nationalist *****'s in scotland...exactly as there are in EVERY country.
arguing the toss about who is more so, or worse or whatever is an exercise in futility.

Just treat others as you would like to be treated.
And we'll all be fine.

[edit on 16/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Why is this even still going on?

Because the attitude expressed in the post above yours needs scrutinising. I didn't realise there was so much misfounded contempt for the common English people. It's not justified and it's not correct.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

Fair enough...but let's not exacerbate it.
We know there are morons on this thread, It's evident throughout the entire thread.. it is pointless to argue with those who seek only an argument.

Whatever you say to him/her... they are always gonna hate the English/Scottish or whoever.
I totally agree with your points and you've been a voice of reason on the thread... but it's getting way off topic and way too personal.. be the bigger person, ignore the petty people who are just stirring and focus on the topic.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Racism, nationalism, does it matter? Someone beating for racism is still beaten just like someone beaten for nationalism. Because it's nationalism instead of racism does not make the victim less injured.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree with Cythraul 100%,words of sanity indeed.

Plus some very funny clips from 2 great comedians...and Robin Williams.lol.

For those who keep saying it is nationalism not racism take this into account.The legal definition of racial discrimination is anything that involves violence,prejudice etc to someone because of their colour,their race,their nationality or their ethnicity.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Was that meant to be a reply to my post, case i made some of those points, but it was meant to be in a funny way (hence the link to the video of MacGlashin and the 1966 comment). i.e this is what some Scots actually think, mostly the neddy ones might i add. I guess the humour didn't come across over the net and I can see from some of the replies people thought I actually don't like the English! Hahaha.

Glasgow's got a great multicultural society and i've got just about the same number of English friends as I do Scottish!

Man, we live in a country where Glaswegians don't like folk from Edinburgh, folk from Edinburgh think folk from Glasgow are all Weedgie neds, the highlanders think anyone from the Central Belt is less Scottish than them, the Islanders think anyone from the mainland is less Scottish than them, etc etc etc. Obviously this is an extreme generalisation, but you get my point. Hell, even in the Metro news paper sometimes the letters page gets filled with 'Edinburgh is better than Glasgow because' and 'Glasgow is better than Edinburgh because' letters. Some people will find any excuse to be intolerant even on a very local level.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
Well the scots are brutal... I'm part scottish and part english... but I'd guess they'd hate me most for being american heheh..

No, I think you'd universally be hated for making ridiculous sweeping statements with no proof.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Wow Im from America and I never realized that the whole Scotland/England issue was never resolved. This is some heated Sh!t we have here. I guess it does prove humans are just aggressive and race does not play a factor. So is the UK going to break up like we are going to over here in America? Is there a civil war coming to my island brothers?

[edit on 16-1-2009 by tjeffersonsghost]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjeffersonsghost
Wow Im from America and I never realized that the whole Scotland/England issue was never resolved. This is some heated Sh!t we have here. I guess it does prove humans are just aggressive and race does not play a factor. So is the UK going to break up like we are going to over here in America? Is there a civil war coming to my island brothers?

No we're not going to have a civil war, we might have more of a federal government, though. And the US is not going to fall into civil war, don't be silly.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SvenTheBerserK
Im not surprised at this its cowardly.

But was the United Kingdom every truly united?

I believe the United Kingdom does not refer to the nations, but merely to the royal family and their kingdom. And the royal family is quite united.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Stalin

[edit on 1/16/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I'm a patriotic Scot and think the English in general are fine people.In an ideal world Scotland would be an independent country, however this isn't an ideal world and it would be fiscally irresponsible to push through the breakup of the Union, in my opinion.

There are far bigger problems in the UK than Anti English/Anti Scots sentiment........In my opinion Eastern European immigration and the Muslim population is a far greater threat to UK stability.

I sympathise with the poor lass that was belted, women should never be assaulted by men, I hope the culprits themselves receive some back.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

No.
Things are not that bad.You get blind patriots and haters in every country.

Most Scots who want independence don't even realize they have it except for one thing.

They have their own parliament and Westminster doesn't get a say in their affairs,unlike the Scots who have members in the English parliament.

The one thing they don't have is freedom of government money.They can choose what it is spent on,but their money comes from Westminster.Incidently,those Scottish politicians who want independence,i.e.Kingdom of Scotland;would still like to keep getting those yearly cheques from Westminster.

Which means they wouldn't be fully independent.Go figure.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

When revenue from north sea oil goes to Scotland then i'm pretty sure they won't be needing cheques from westminster...

What exactly is your basis from stating that Scottish politiicans would like to keep getting a cheque - maqking them not fully independent?

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join