It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scars of the girl beaten for being English in Scotland.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
This is disgusting - that a woman got beaten up for nothing - and that we have all this racist carrying on.

Why can't we all just tolerate each other?

This the exact reason why the world will end soon - or, if not, at least I hope it changes for the better.

I should be beating myself up - I have Scots, English and Cornish/Celtic blood.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I am a bit confused as to how this thug knew this girl was English?
I saw the report of this incident on the local news,and when i heard the young woman speaking,i could'nt make out any trace of an English accent at all!
To my ears,she had an accent similar to the fake accent that many young Aberdeenshire women seem to have adopted nowadays,a sort of hybrid Aberdeenshire/Invernesshire twang (anybody else noticed that one)?

Perhaps there had been some interaction between the two earlier in the evening.Maybe they had gotten talking and maybe the guy had fancied his chances,only to have been knocked back by the girl?

Who knows,but whatever transpired that night,the violence perpetrated on this girl was totally sickening. I have been punched in a similar fashion as this girl,and i almost blacked out,my teeth came through my top lip,and my nose was squint for a whole week
,so she has my sympathy.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00112245712198
There are far bigger problems in the UK than Anti English/Anti Scots sentiment........In my opinion Eastern European immigration and the Muslim population is a far greater threat to UK stability.

And a fair opinion it is. Britain faces dangerous social instability, and any Anglo/Scots grudge concerns me less than the rapidly changing identity of Britain. Not to villify Muslims or Eastern-Europeans at all, but we cannot maintain this rate of immigration into our countries. All cultural issues aside, Britain doesn't have the land or resources to support even half the number of people living here, let alone the 500,000 or so foreigners projected to arrive each year on our small island.

So honestly... Scotsmen, Englishmen... we're like neighbours in a semi-detached. That noise that spills through the walls shouldn't mean we can't drop round for a cup of tea and a friendly chat.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
It could have easily been some immigrants from some extreme religious group.
That specifically have a problem with English people or even have some problem with women having rights.
No one has said it was Scottish persons.
It could have been Nazi skin heads for all we know.
There is no report of nationality of the perpetrators who committed this sickening act.
The point is it was racism, and racism leading to violence, all of it is the same.
No matter who does it or who they do it to.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by DantesLost

lots of people seem to tell that to me
the welsh and scots dont like anyone from England.

why is it anyway?

Check out Scotlands history.

The crimes commited by the English are appalling but it has nothing to do with the current generation and that is where many go wrong.
Throughout all of history they have thrawrted any attempt at Scottish freedom and continue to do so. I have added a link below for anyone willing to read but it gives a brief outline.

Many people do not take the time to understand why things like this happen but I can tell you it is not for no reason.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

On a personal basis I do not believe in blaming the current generation for Scotlands history but some do for some reason. It is also important to note that racism is far to broadly used.

I do agree that these idiots from aberdeen are racist or that seems to be the case from the media but there are always two sides to a story.

I also would like to see my country be recognised as a country as opposed to a region.

There is not enough space to state the reasons for this and I do not fancy an argument with media jargon that would be fired at me paticularly to do with who feeds who etc. I have plenty of english friends who share my viewpoint after looking at the facts rather than listen to the BBC.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I often hear the argument that the English conquered Scotland and forced them into slavery..blah blah blah..

But if that's true, why did the Scots request a Union with England? It wasn't so widely supported south of the border, it took some going to push it thorugh, but the Scots jumped at the chance. Not only that, but they had a Scottish King on the throne of England for crying out loud! It was a Scottish idea to form the Union!

You see, they joined the Union because they bankrupted their nation by trying to be a colonial power. Their colonies in Newfoundland collapsed and left Scotland broke, so they went cap in hand to their Scottish King in England, who promptly okay'd the Union between England and Scotland.

And so it has been since 1707, the English have been subsidising Scotland ever since......

So crack on, break free. We never wanted you in the first place anyway, it was our (both English and Scot) ruling elite that buggered you lot, not us English people. We were being buggered too and today, we are still paying for your free Uni, prescriptions and council tax, while we get fleeced rotten.

A free Scotland is my dream. Please, declare independance so we can claw back the billions we send north every year, while you guys languish in economic misery, forever regretting biting the hand that has fed you for 300 years.....

And enough of the "evil English Imperialists".. Some of the biggest supporters, promoters and volunteers to fight in Imperial expansion came from Scotland.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
This following link provides some information with regards to the Scotland/England Relationship in the current climate, for those who have no idea what some people in this thread are talking about

www.iht.com...

So crack on, break free. We never wanted you in the first place anyway, it was our (both English and Scot) ruling elite that buggered you lot, not us English people. We were being buggered too and today, we are still paying for your free Uni, prescriptions and council tax, while we get fleeced rotten.

Ever asked yourself why this is permitted?

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Tizer]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'll just leave this here....

Making the most of our natural resources
Independence would give us full control of energy policy – and bring home Scotland’s share of North Sea oil and gas revenues.

More than 90 per cent of the UK’s oil revenues come from the Scottish sector of the Continental Shelf. So it really is Scotland’s oil

Over the past thirty years over 35 billion barrels have been extracted from the UK sector of the North Sea, producing a cash windfall for the UK government of over £200 billion. There is plenty of potential left in the North Sea, with as much as half of the oil yet to come and new opportunities opening up for the oil industry to the north and west of Scotland.

As an independent country Scotland could follow the example of Norway and invest a share of our future oil revenues in a fund to benefit future generations. By investing just part of our oil wealth, Scotland could have an Oil Fund worth billions within a decade.

In addition to oil, we have vast renewable energy potential. Scotland has 25 per cent of Europe’s wind and tidal capacity and 10 per cent of its wave power. There are huge, untapped opportunities for offshore energy production and for clean carbon technologies like carbon capture. The SNP is determined to harness this potential and turn it into a successful and sustainable industry.

Oil and renewables - along with a set of pro-Scottish business policies – can help transform Scottish prospects over the next 30 years. They are far too important to be left to London. It is time to move on so Scotland’s precious natural resources can help fuel our nation’s future prosperity.

www.snp.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tizer

I'd probably say it's because the help extended to Scotland is a small price to pay for access to Scottish oil. So ultimately, it is the Scots that are losing out. But it has nothing to do with the common Englishman.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

And I'll leave this here:

Total tax receipts for Scotland 2007/08: £34 Billion (8.2% UK total)
North Sea Oil revenue for 2007/08: £7 Billion (6.2% Total Scottish GDP)
Total Expenditure 2007/08: £45.3 Billion (10% UK total)

Further Borrowing by Scottish Government in 2007/08: £11.2 Billion (12.9% GDP)

Source - Scottish "Government"

The maths of an oil rich, independent Scotland doesn't add up, does it?

You're still a few Billion shy of breaking even and the above expenditure figures including a sizeable sum from the UK Government (taxpayers) that is above and beyond any oil revenue generated.

(EDIT: In case your not very mathmatical, Scotland gets £11.3 Billion from the Uk Government, whereas the oil generate only £7 billion)

Take out the UK taxpayer money from Scotland and you have an instant, large budget deficit and already large amounts of debt. Add onto that you're own responsibilities for defence and other costs incurred by Sovereign nations and you'll have to get rid of your free prescriptions, your free Uni, your free parking and the frozen council taxes.

Suddenly the reality of an independent Scotland looks a bit dire, doesn't it? Notice that now, with the economic downturn, many Scots (according to polls) are now turning away from the idea as they realise that the money from central UK Government is actually a blessing.

Oh and how the hell can you claim that Scotland has 25% of Europes wind generating capacity? That's such a made up figure! You cannot quantify wind, it is totally variable and the generating capacity rests solely on how many turbines you put up. Or are you claiming that Scotland has 25% of Europes wind?

[edit on 17/1/09 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Yes, Glasgow is a wonderful city. I have lots of friends there and get to visit at least twice a year.
I know a lot of Glaswegians have little regard for people from Edinburgh who they percieve to be snobbish and pretentious.
A bit like the northern English disdain for the southern English.
Of course it is all stereotyping and complete and utter nonsense.
I have friends from all over the UK and from all walks of life, some even from south of Yorkshire, lol.

A star.

There are far bigger problems in the UK than Anti English/Anti Scots sentiment........In my opinion Eastern European immigration and the Muslim population is a far greater threat to UK stability.

I couldn't agree more.
Those and the steady erosion of our civil liberties are the burning issues of our United Kingdom and need to be addressed immediately.

I have no desire to see the disolution of The Union, neither do the vast majority of English and Scots that I know.
We are far stronger together and the ties that bind run deep!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul

Originally posted by Tizer

I'd probably say it's because the help extended to Scotland is a small price to pay for access to Scottish oil. So ultimately, it is the Scots that are losing out. But it has nothing to do with the common Englishman.

I was looking more for the answer that everyone just does as they are told,even you abide by the laws of your government therefore is it really the fault of the Scottish people that they get free prescriptions etc etc,maybe next time they go for a prescription they should say,"please wait ,id like to pay for this as i feel really bad for the English being fleeced"doubt it very much.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Oh and how the hell can you claim that Scotland has 25% of Europes wind generating capacity? That's such a made up figure! You cannot quantify wind, it is totally variable and the generating capacity rests solely on how many turbines you put up. Or are you claiming that Scotland has 25% of Europes wind?

[edit on 17/1/09 by stumason]

Wind can be quantified and is quantifiable :

www.surfacepower.ie...

Just now Scotland is exporting a large quantity of its renewable energy, such as wind and hydro, to England to help the UK meet it's quotas.

Also, I got my Masters in Environmental Technology at an English Uni, so I know that wind is quantifiable.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Haha, nice to see you completely dodged the point I made about Scottish finances. Doesn't look pretty when in black and white rather than when the SNP blatantly lies to you, does it?

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman
Wind can be quantified and is quantifiable :

www.surfacepower.ie...

And what is that map representing? Average wind? What I meant by quantifiable was you don't say "We have 1000 litres of Wind", or "1000 cubic metres of wind". That is what quantifiable means.

Generating capacity is solely down to the amount of generators you can put up. Seeing as Scotland is small, I would hedge that should any other EU country, such as France or Germany, decided to put up Wind farms, then they could outstrip Scotland easily. Also, the wind turbines do not work in high winds, which scotland is famous for, so there is a limiting factor.

Just now Scotland is exporting a large quantity of its renewable energy, such as wind and hydro, to England to help the UK meet it's quotas.

Of which, it only generates a bare 2% of total power in the UK. Woopy doo! The vast majority of real power stations are in England and Wales.

Also, I got my Masters in Environmental Technology at an English Uni, so I know that wind is quantifiable.

Oh, if we're wang measuring, I work closely (I look after their OPTEL network) with the National Grid themselves. I know where every power generating station is, I know the routes of the High tension lines and I know every sub-station. I have an HND in Telecoms Eng and I am studying for a MEng in Electronic Engineering...

See how pointless that was?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The link is clearly for 2003-2004 yet you say they are 2008 figures. You also use the figure for net borrowing which excludes revenue for north sea oil.

Scottish expenditure is higher because of vast rural agricultural areas, expenditure on education is higher because Uni courses are typically longer, with an honours four years in comparison to English three years - why there is a net inflow from the rest of the UK to Scotland for Education (Prince William for example).

Again, this data was compiled under a Scottish labour government who clearly didn't want independance. We all know how creative accountants can be with figures.

For the record, I'm against independence, the UK is stronger as a whole.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

It wasn't pointless, wind generating capabilities has a lot more to do with the number of turbines. The image represents % wind flow / strength over a period of time. Annual mean wind speeds are recorded over Britain with the whole of Scotland having the capability of producing >1800 W per metre square compared to England and Northern Ireland with the potential for 300 - 500 per metre square (Troen and Peterson, 1989)
Local topography is also important as areas with large amouints of vegetation restrict the airflow due to surface friction.
Scotland happens to have large open areas with sparse vegetation such as low heather and grasses making it ideal locations for turbines. It's also important to get the correct height for turbines so that it overcomes the boundary layer and is in the free flow layer.

Now do you see the relevance of my education instead of mocking and going on about your irrelevant electronics certificate?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Ah, bollocks... You're right! Sorry about that, my bad... Let me see if I can find some more up to date ones....

But, in my defence, the figures are still illustrative of how flimsy it is to build a case for independance on so called "Scottish Oil", when in reality, even during the huge bubble of oil prices from 2004-2008, revenues were slim pickings. Borrowing aside, the numbers do not look fantastic.

Personally, I did prefer a United Kingdom until the English began to get shat on from a great height, by a Scottish dominated cabinet who deny us the rights they grant so freely to others.

Every other Home Nation has an assembly or Parliament, except England.
Every other Home Nation has free prescriptions.
Every other Home Nation can vote on English Law, when we cannot on theirs.
Every other Home Nation is expected to be "Proud" and love their country, but to be proud of being English is frowned upon.
Every other Home Nation has a national Holiday for their Patron Saint, except England.

I could go on, but check the link in my sig for a good case for our grievances, which are litterally ignored by Government.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

It's cool, I genuinely understand the greivance the English has on Scottish affairs - but to be honest that's the way we've had it for hundreds of years.

For me the biggest slap was thatcher trying out the Poll tax on Scotland a year before intoducing it in the rest of the UK! Man that was right out of order.

I can honestly see why you guys would be sick of substituting a nation that seems ungrateful.

But to be honest the Scots don't really hate the English, it's more of a traditional grudge than anything, so rooted in culture that some people take it literally such as those tools in Aberdeen.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Incidently we don't have St.Andrews day as a holiday, and free prescriptions is up to the labour government. Our devolved governement deals with that - possibly another reason for our high expenditure?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Feel free to cover your nation in those god awful ugly things, might actually brighten the place up! Plus, how can you base your power generating capacity on wind farms? What if the wind doesn't blow for days? Or blows too hard? You'd come knocking down south for some of our power, thats what.

You'be better off having tidal generators, such as in the Pentland Firth. Much more predicatable than the flimsy nature of wind.

I wasn't mocking your qualification anyway, so why mock mine? I just didn't see why you felt the need to try and pull rank in this discussion. 3 years of study plus work placements was hard work, an HND is degree level.

It was ultimately quite pointless to sit there and say "Well, I did a Master in such and such" when it is quite irrelevant, to be honest. You did it to show off, basically.

It earns me a damn good living, probably a damn site more than most University graduates could hope for, degree in Windmills or not....

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join