It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World of Warcraft Conspiracy...Subliminal Messaging & Blizzard gold spammers!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo515
reply to post by zephyrs

But the audio is right there...blizzard have even admitted to intentionally putting it there, listen to it once and realize its there...from then on, that's all you hear!

Link to Blizzard admitting to placing subliminal messages to get people to play more please?

And like I stated before, Blizzard gets nothing extra from having someone play 8 hours per day as opposed to playing 8 hours per month..

Also, you're acting as if video game addiction only occurs with WoW, which it does not and it's not limited to subscription based games either. Does every video game have subliminal messages telling it's players to play more? Do games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero hide messages in their songs? Did Pac-Man and Galaga hide subliminal messages in their bleeps and bloops?

[edit on 12-1-2009 by zephyrs]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
AGREE. MOD, CAN YOU REMOVE THE FIRST VIDEO? It IS dangerous. To the OP. Why would you put that up??

Or explain before hand.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by zephyrs
reply to post by Griffo515

like I stated before, Blizzard gets nothing extra from having someone play 8 hours per day as opposed to playing 8 hours per month..

A serious gamer knows its more beneficial to buy the gold instead of farming it...like you could spend 2months or $40 farming it, or just buy it...so its a golden commodity worth millions of dollars per year on tap for blizzard if they were selling it (and i sincerely believe they are)

Ill post the video when i find it...its on youtube, have a look

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   

like I stated before, Blizzard gets nothing extra from having someone play 8 hours per day as opposed to playing 8 hours per month..

A serious gamer knows its more beneficial to buy the gold instead of farming it...like you could spend 2months or $40 farming it, or just buy it...so its a golden commodity worth millions of dollars per year on tap for blizzard if they were selling it (and i sincerely believe they are)

I'm sorry. I don't follow. What does buying gold have to do with subliminal messages? If Blizzard chooses to covertly sell gold to players that's their choice. It's actually a rather smart thing for them to do but I think power leveling characters and selling them would yield the most profit for the company. I never said anything about gold selling so I don't understand why you're bringing it up?

What I'm interested in are your statements regarding subliminal messages put into the game. I can't wait to see the link that will back up your statements that Blizzard has admitted to intentionally placing subliminal messages into it's game.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I'm sorry. I don't follow. What does buying gold have to do with subliminal messages?

Sorry that was half of my original post
Here is one of the videos, its not the one i was thinking of...but here it is anyway

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Griffo515]

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Griffo515]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Gold becomes a non factor once reach level cap because all of the best gear is earned through gameplay and can't be bought. Gold sellers target new players just starting the game, not "addicts" who've already hit level cap.

Sorry, you can't even read the dialog in the chat box. What's that video supposed to be about?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm a gamer, and I play WOW - one level 80, two other level 70's and a plethora of minor characters - have been playing since the game came out of beta - never once bought gold, or felt the need too. The only people who buy gold are the lazy ones.

Blizz bans people who buy and trade gold and accounts these days, and they're damn serious about it too - you don't need a gold seller, you can earn it yourself in game out of professions and high end raiding.

So I'd like to see some evidence of the "subliminal" stuff myelf - have never experienced it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Sorry, you can't even read the dialog in the chat box. What's that video supposed to be about?

I know, im am sory. What it was, is sombody talking to a GM as u can see about the message from the spirit healer. And the person filming claims that theyre admiting it was intentional. A bad example, ill post the other one when i find it...have a search on there yourself aswel

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
"Blizz bans people who buy and trade gold and accounts these days"

They also ban people who don't.

My brother's account has been banned twice in ten days for buying gold, even though he didn't. Their first investoigation concluded that he was innocent, three days later they did the same thing again.

Blizzard can take a long walk off a short pier. The fact that they can't get their stuff together is enough for our whole guild to quit the game.

But you know what? I am finding it difficult to click that link which says Cancel your account. ( I will, but it's still hard).

Blizzard knows what they are doing as far as getting people "hooked", Too bad they don't know how to do customer service.

I know my brother is definitley hooked as his unjustifed banning has caused major withdrawel symptoms, we are going to get through it together though, probably whilst playing LOTR.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

I did do a few searches. All I found were people confessing their love for WoW (Entered: "world of warcraft subliminal message Confession" into google).

I was hoping that the proof of Blizzard admitting that they used subliminal messages would be more along the lines of a corporate statement posted online, not more youtube videos. With the number of hacked/private servers out there, I take any in-game evidence with a grain of salt.

In the video you posted there only seems to be one character on the screen. Why is the play sending /s messages? You would think that they'd be sending /t since GM's always communicate through whispers. Also, I did notice in the chat box that the player did have a conversation with a GM at some point, but the chat box is scrolled up as evidenced by the flashing down arrow.

It may be nothing, but to me it seems the person is being purposefully deceptive by having the chat window purposely scrolled up like that. If the scroll bar was all the way down, we would at least be able to see the blue Blizzard logo next to the GM's name popping up during the player's alleged conversation with the GM about the subliminal messages.

There's just too much in this video that makes me think that, even if we could ready what's being typed by the player at least, the video is a hoax.

It's funny, but screenshots of the chatbox highlighting the conversation between the player GM would have been pretty than the video.

But let's pretend the video is legitimate. This is only a GM speaking. GM's are nothing more than in game customer service reps. That's a far cry from one of Blizzard's higher ups admitting that they use/d subliminal messages to get people hooked on the game. Something like the use of subliminal messages would be a secret that Blizzard would keep very close to their chest. It's not something that they would share with their lowly customer service reps.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
damn this is scary, I heard it myself it's no doubt expert subliminals,

if blizzard is willing to do this just think of what else their doing...

I bet there are more subliminals thoughout the whole game on who knows how many levels, I just see the game itself is very mediocre, I'm a UO vet and have only played wow for literally 19 or so hours total, my gametime runs out and I already decided to quit when it does but damn now I really want to stay away forever.

I'll try to do some research in my remaining days to find visual subliminals, or other audio ones... the game is just not that good, the npcs the whole thing just reeks of 'why even bother', yet people mindlessly run to do mindless quest number six million seven hundred thousand and fifty nine, and I wonder why, I honestly just took it easy the whole game I only got to lvl 50, maybe this is why I'm not addicted like the others...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

A serious gamer would never buy gold. That's a joke. I've played WoW for over 2 years now. It is addictive, but so are a lot of other things in life...including ATS. Everything takes self-discipline. As has been repeated several times in this thread, a lot of people (like serious gamers), don't play with the game sounds on at all, so the theory that some whispering message in the short amount of time you're running back to your corpse is somehow hooking the world doesn't seem to be the factor for why people continue to play WoW.

I enjoy playing WoW, and will continue to play for the unforeseen future, because of two things: new content (i.e. I enjoying questing when a new patch or expansion pack comes out), and fellowship - I enjoy being part of a team working toward a common goal. When an expansion pack comes out I tend to put more hours on the game to level, and once I have leveled out I tend to reduce my hours to what is needed for raiding.

The only pressures I have ever felt to be on the game for any minimum amount of time have come from whatever guild I'm in - not Blizzard or game content.

In short, I think people need to moderate themselves and learn to set priorities.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I agree, no gamer needs to buy gold, only newbs, in my first week I made 1,000gold more than enough for the newb equipment I needed, I have since made over tons of gold and I'm only lvl 50, I have only spent a little bit of it and thats from expensive training to get master in tailoring and engineering, but my dude only has a few gold worth of armor, anyway I'm quitting and giving all my gold to my guild

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
A serious gamer would never buy gold. That's a joke. I've played WoW for over 2 years now. It is addictive, but so are a lot of other things in life...including ATS. Everything takes self-discipline. As has been repeated several times in this thread, a lot of people (like serious gamers), don't play with the game sounds on at all, so the theory that some whispering message in the short amount of time you're running back to your corpse is somehow hooking the world doesn't seem to be the factor for why people continue to play WoW.

I enjoy playing WoW, and will continue to play for the unforeseen future, because of two things: new content (i.e. I enjoying questing when a new patch or expansion pack comes out), and fellowship - I enjoy being part of a team working toward a common goal. When an expansion pack comes out I tend to put more hours on the game to level, and once I have leveled out I tend to reduce my hours to what is needed for raiding.

The only pressures I have ever felt to be on the game for any minimum amount of time have come from whatever guild I'm in - not Blizzard or game content.

In short, I think people need to moderate themselves and learn to set priorities.

Exactly. I've been playing WOW since the game came out back in nov. 2004. It's an addictive game sure, but so are a lot of things in life. It's just a matter keeping it under control and not forgetting what your priorities are. I've always enjoyed MMO's, from Everquest to Star Wars Galaxies, Lord of the Rings Online, Guild Wars, Everquest 2 and others. These games offer something unique in that they put you in a vast fantasy world, and let you be whatever you want to be.

I've seen first hand the negative effects playing MMO's has on some people. I had a friend who dropped out from college because all he wanted to do all day everyday was play WOW. I felt sad for the dude because he just couldn't control himself. But then again I don't blame the game for his problem, some people are just more prone to addictive behaviors than others. If it wasn't MMO's it would be something else.

I play WOW because it provides me world where I can escape to and have some fun playing with my friends.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Exactly. The guild I play in has working professionals, including an MD, who haven't lost their jobs, homes or marriages to the game. We all put our real life first and enjoy the game because it is our hobby. We're not a hard-core raiding guild, but then again, we're not a casual raiding guild either. We're just a bunch of people who have common sense and like bathing and getting a good night's sleep so we can go to work the next day and pay the monthly subscription to play more WoW.

lol

Point is, this is just another attempt to blame bad judgment and lack of self-control on "them" - just fill in the blank as to who "them" will be...this time it's Blizzard.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
my son loves this game. Just bought him the new expansion pack for his birthday. Anyway, as others have said, subliminal messages (audio) are useless if you have the sound turned down, which he always does.
And secondly, they can send him subliminal messages to buy stuff all they like, but seeing as it's me that pays for it....it ain't gonna work

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
"Play World of Warcraft
Your money is my cure
Give us your money
That's right you customer"

That is the subliminal message that is addicting people to WoW and making them spend all their money on 'gold' for the ingame purpose of buying 'stuff'? I think they need to be a little more direct and maybe less winded to get the point across because I apparently am not getting the message. Besides.... this helps the company how?

I played EQ for 8 years and now am playing WoW going on two years. I play for 3 hours a week if that. IF there are subliminal messages in the game, I just dont think the above message is one of them. I will definately check it out when I log in again out of sheer curiousity but I have my doubts.

I play with the sound on and have never heard anything when I "die" in game... nor do I feel the urge to spend money at that point LOL. In fact, I often log out at that point.

sounds to me like the only people reiterating this belief are those that are angry at blizzard / EA for their own personal slaps from the company for going against their EULA and or ToS.

anyways... just my spare change.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Any game can be addicting.

Hell, look at any of the Grand Theft Auto games. I've been playing GTA3 since ...8th grade or so. I can't f'n stop!

Same with Zelda. Any of them. Or even Return To Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer.

And RTCW is FREE.

And besides, what's wrong with a legit business trying to make a profit?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Not only are you wrong about how serious gamers look at buying gold, you're working against your own argument. If Blizzard wants some one to play more, they aren't going promote them buying gold from chinese gold farmers because then you'd play less.

It makes no sense. It doesn't match with reality. But I bet you go down grasping to the concept.

Diverting attention away from bad behavior - FTL.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is like the people who blame gambling for an addiction. Lack of self control isn't in everyone. I play WoW three nights a week, hold a steady job, and a lasting relationship of two years. Sure she makes fun of me for playing, but it's a hobby, better than losing myself in a television program, and I always put real life first. I am among a handful of people around my office who play, and we all have normal lives outside of WoW. It's all in your head if you become "addicted" to anything, drugs, gambling, television... Weak minded people do not make up the majority of the population (I hope), so don't loop everyone into the same "brainwashed" mentality. Plus, if you are like me, you are too bad a** and you never die, never see a "spirit healer". If by chance I DO die, I just rez myself like a normal Shaman would and go about my business. This is the lamest post I've ever read on this board. For the Horde!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join