It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand why people just think that people with disabilities are just different from us a

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
A lot of people treat people with disabilities the same way that they treat other people and I don't like it at all. I used to be severely disabled when I was younger with ADHD... as an adult I don't have ADD now but I remember I needed excessive amounts of help and yes I was different but it's not the problem that I was different but it's that I was in constant pain because of it. I couldn't concentrate well at all for a long time and I had problems in school and with making friends during the time that I had ADHD. People with disabilities are not JUST different from you they require help and assistance. They may be afraid to ask for assistance because they don't want people to know about their disability, as, I was when I had ADHD... so you'll need to approach them yourself and help them yourself. But... it just really aggravates me to hear people just talk about how people with disabilities are different from everyone else. When one has a disability the disability doesn't make them different from you or me. It just makes them more in pain, or, not able to do something in the same way we could. They still have ethics and they can still think. Some of the things people say when they aren't informed about disabilities really angers me.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Um well your title is confusing when you read the last line of your post (never mind you changed it lol I was wondering) as for ADHD they do get help now, at least where I live they get different classroom teachers who are specifically trained to teach these types of kids.

As for socially they get along fine with the other kids and usually have a lot more friends than the average person because they are ready to go go go all the time so when one friend tires out they call another at least that's what my niece does it.

Tons of people are diagnosed with ADHD around here if you don't have it you are in the minority now days lol.

I'm guessing someone must have really hit a nerve with you recently and you need to vent which is fine we all do, I do it at work all the time.

Normally those folks most people understand are either pretty ignorant of anything not directly affecting their lives on a daily basis, have a mental illness that causes them not to be able to see reality in a sensible light (yes I'm serious on this point) or are not like by anyone anyway because their to put it nicely not very nice people sociably and have no friends anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it too much but try explaining that to a child as they can't quite grasp the logic of those statements at younger ages so it's much harder for them to understand what is really going on.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I don't understand why people just think that people with disabilities are just different

The Question should be - What is a 'disability'. Say for a example... If a lawyer tried to do any type of Surgery on a stranger, because the lawyer isnot a doctor. Wouldn't that be a type of a 'disability'? And if the doctor walked in a courtroom and helped to talk anything about the law infront of the judge, but the doctor would not know nothing about the law...wouldn't that be a 'disability'?

So what in today's world is a 'disability'?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
everybody is different, so i guess were all disabled.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The problem of disability consists in the idea or theory of "normal", read up on Sir Francis Galtonfor a better handle on the origins of "normality".

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It would not say ADD or ADHD are disabilities.
Disorders, mental illness/affliction.... not disabilities.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
My mom has severe damage to her auditorial nerves and cannot hear well at all. When people mumble and don't look at her, or continually call her on the phone, they get angry when we ask if they could please speak up and clearly so that she can understand.

We should be making the lives of people with disabilities easier.
Treating them differently does not mean being rude to them or treating them like babies, though.

new topics

top topics

join