It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says He'll Fight To Keep His BlackBerry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Obama Says He'll Fight To Keep His BlackBerry

uk.reuters.com

President-elect Barack Obama vowed a fight to the finish on Wednesday -- not over his economic plan, but to hang on to his BlackBerry.

"They're going to pry it out of my hands," he told CBNC about his BlackBerry, a cellphone made by Research In Motion Ltd (RIM.TO) that handles e-mail and has become an essential accessory for on-the-go movers and shakers.

There are also concerns that presidential electronic communications could be hacked into by the mischievous or the malevolent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.wired.com

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Gee, I sure hope he is as tough with the terrorists as he currently is with the Secret Service.
He certainly is putting up a fight to keep his Blackberry device, it's almost as if he is throwing a tantrum when he can't get his way.

Although in his defense I almost want to say he should probably keep it, BUT HE BETTER BE ABLE TO SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES.

It would only take one controversial email to get out and go public to cause a major scandal.
If that happened I don't think even the MSMedia would be able to save his butt.

Oh sweet irony if that were to happen, I mean, his use of technology got him elected, the same technology would destroy him.

What do you think?

uk.reuters.com

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
It would only take one controversial email to get out and go public to cause a major scandal.
If that happened I don't think even the MSMedia would be able to save his butt.

I'm sure the Democrats can do like the Republicans and destroy all emails, or perhaps they can even use the already installed Republican system that bypasses the Presidential Records Act.

Or wait, didn't the guy that set it up and was due in Court to testify about it, die recently in a plane crash? Yeah, what a shame.

Oh well, I guess Obama will just have to mimic Bush and Cheney and not write anything down if he wants to avoid a "major scandal" that you obviously would hate see happening.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hehe, okay, this was a fun/funny article. I don't think it reflects on his international policy be it positive or negative. Next week they'll be reporting on whether he prefers boxers or tightie-whities...and that just may affect how he views the current economic crisis.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I doubt that it will be much of a fight. This is just another news clip to make him sound cool and tough.

His Blackberry is not a secure communications device and him being the President elect is not going to use any that is not secure for e-mails and such.

Maybe the Secret Service can whip something up for him in the future but it will not be his beloved Blackberry.

When you really think about it he has so much staff now and that number is olny going to go up. What is he doing still answering his own phone anyway??

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I could see it now.

Secret Service agent 1 : Give me the blackberry Mr. President.

Obama : No!

Secret Service agent 1 : Give me the blackberry Mr. President.

Obama : No!

Secret Service agent 1 'takes blackberry'

Obama : Secret Service Agent 2! Secret Service Agent 1 is a traitor!!!

Secret Service Agent 2 'shoots agent 1'

Obama : MY BLACKBERRY!!!!

Ya know, that was a lot funnier in my head.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Oh sweet irony if that were to happen, I mean, his use of technology got him elected, the same technology would destroy him.

uk.reuters.com

I'm a bit confused by your statement. Could you please elaborate? If my memory serves me correctly (the occasional non inhalation of certain forms of sensimillia has clouded it just a bit) it was his use of roughly 53% of the American vote that got him elected. And a little FYI, should he and his administration fail, the country goes right behind it. Did we not learn anything from ole Dub-ya?

As far as the story goes, if he wants to keep his Blackberry then so be it. I'm pretty sure he is well aware of the risks associated with the device. Furthermore, I think SS or one of the many security agencies will find a way to make it hack proof, etc.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Obama's quote reminded me Charlton Heston's famous "From my cold dead hand" remark. Obama just gave me that Chris Matthews leg tingle. ha ha ha

Clearly Obama cannot compute the security risk here and shame on him if can't respect the wishes of the Secret Service who are sworn to protect him at all costs.

Get over it Barry. This isn't the first time he has expressed concern about his Blackberry. Fix the world first, then maybe you can get your Blackberry back. He needs some incentive just like a teenager. Before you know it, he'll want to get his ear pierced and then he'll want the keys to "The Beast". Barry, your life is about to change in ways that you could never imagine.

I know people who are canceling Blackberry accounts to save money in this economic pinch and Barry is afraid of having his taken away from him.

National Security is a little more important than your Blackberry. Give your thumbs a break for a couple of years.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I say give him one of these

and he is less likely to abuse it. Many of you ATSers probably don't even know what this is. Check out that crazy cord thingy attached to it. 3 watts of pure power.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentMoulder

Oh come on now, you know what I mean.
He used technology (internet, blogs, text messaging) like no one else before him. People got the word out and didn't stop until after the election.
Spare me the figures because it was technology that got him elected.

He needs to realize it's no longer about him, it's about National Security, it's about the country he promised to repair.

Is he willing to risk jeopardizing the security of this nation simply because he doesn't want to miss a call?

How selfish is that?

By not giving up his mobile device it confirms what many already know, that he is a self centered, selfish ego maniac.

Something tells me someone has already hacked his phone and is monitoring his every call, probably someone in China.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

First I'd like to apologize for the sarcasm as I took your statement waaaaaaaaaaaaaay of context. I won't apologize for giving the statistics though. HAHA. Seriously, I do agree that it is no longer about him, however I think this whole situation is being blown completely out of proportion. As long as he doesn't text any important information (which I seriously doubt would happen), then national security should not be a worry.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I have to admit, I would be hard pressed to give up my Blackberry, and/or my laptop. I mean, how else would I get on here at ATS and get into heated discussions with all the liberals that hang out here?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm trying to picture this headline if McCain won...

"McCain Says He'll Fight To Keep His Slide Ruler"

[Associated Pun]
"John McCain recently announced that he refused to use electronic technology in the White House. Last week he had a complex network of strings and tin cans installed for his family and staffers to keep in touch with him. In addition, he plans to hire fifty workers to deliver hand-written messenges to each of the state government offices. Of all the things he'd refuse to leave behind, his slide rule takes precedent over the rest. President McCain explains, 'As Americans we're given the talents to use our brains, not rely on fancy gizmos and gadzets to do our work for us!" Drawing cheers from Amish supporters, the last several days he's been trying to get the slider ruler to go up to $9,519,155,015,941 which the approximate amount of the national debt. Good luck Mr. McCain, we're pulling for ya."

[edit on 8-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It's a security issue.

From what I've read - bad guys can fix on his blackberry somehow.

If he wants to buck the Secret Service and security requirements then he best not come whining to us when something bad happens because of his addiction to his blackberry.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentMoulder

Please define "important information"??

It really is in his best interest to ditch the Blackberry.

If he gets hacked and an email, text message or phone conversation makes it to the public arena, he is screwed.
Nothing will be able to save him, not even the MSM.

What's worse, he forfeits the use of his lifeline because he will no longer be able to blame his failures on Bush.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I'm trying to picture this headline if McCain won...

"McCain Says He'll Fight To Keep His Slide Ruler"

[Associated Pun]
"John McCain recently announced that he refused to use electronic technology in the White House. Last week he had a complex network of strings and tin cans installed for his family and staffers to keep in touch with him. In addition, he plans to hire fifty workers to deliver hand-written messenges to each of the state government offices. Of all the things he'd refuse to leave behind, his slide rule takes precedent over the rest. President McCain explains, 'As Americans we're given the talents to use our brains, not rely on fancy gizmos and gadzets to do our work for us!" Drawing cheers from Amish supporters, the last several days he's been trying to get the slider ruler to go up to $9,519,155,015,941 which the approximate amount of the national debt. Good luck Mr. McCain, we're pulling for ya."

[edit on 8-1-2009 by saint4God]

My old HS chemistry teacher (she was a fossil in 1987) could use a slide rule faster than we could us our TI calcs. She kept a 4 foot rule hung up on the chalk board to make her calculations. We used to call it the "Guillotine".

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
He is just another politician with a addiction.

He will need treatment at a addiction clinic

[edit on 8-1-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Security Advisor: "Mr. President, can we at least ask you to change your e-mail address?"

Barack: "Why?"

Security Advisor: "Don't you think [email protected] is a little conspicious?"

Barack: "Do you really think anyone is going to be believe it's me?"

Security Advisor: *pauses* "Good point sir"

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
My old HS chemistry teacher (she was a fossil in 1987) could use a slide rule faster than we could us our TI calcs. She kept a 4 foot rule hung up on the chalk board to make her calculations. We used to call it the "Guillotine".

Wow cool! I had an uncle teach me multiplication and my first logarithms on it. On the complex functions, there was a lot less chance of getting it wrong

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

What do you think?

I think it's a ridiculous premise for a thread. The bottom of the barrel has been scraped with this one. What's next? "Obama better change his toilet paper brand in the interests of national security, he says no"?

Hey, you asked.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join