It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for ladies with children.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Ok, I've been well away from the dating scene for a loooong time but I just met a woman who has children.

Nothing has transpired as yet,but I'd be interested to know what you think,what your initial worries are as a mother when you meet someone new.

I'm asking because I had a long relationship before with a very nice girl with 3 kids,but it was also confusing,as the messages she was giving to me about not getting too serious conflicted with what she was telling my friends,that she WOULD like to get more serious.

We broke up but still were good friends then she met someone else while I was away anyway.

Obviously there will be a degree of protecting kids from getting close to someone that may not be around so much.

Or is it just the normal expectancy to be telepathic as required by all girls?

Or maybe it's time to move country again instead?

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
When I was single and raising 3 prepubescent daughters my biggest concern was whether the "boyfriend" was more interested in my daughters or in me. Turns out that I was not the main attraction.

Mildly interested and greatly tolerant of a single mom's children is the balance, I think. Too much interest in the kids and we wonder if the guy's a perv. Too little interest and we wonder how he'll fit into our ready made family.

Kids will sometimes try to run mom's new love interest off since any newcomers are competition and a threat to the routine they know.

Best of luck with your new lady friend (and her kids).

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
T- figuring out women is difficult whether there are kids involved or not.
Every woman is different. To some, the feelings of their kids will come top priority over you, to others..not so much.
It depends on the ages of the children, their relationship with both their mother AND father if he is part of their life, and really, how open they are to Mom dating.
Not much help I know.
Basically, be open, be aware, to her and her children.
It's not a taboo subject to discuss their feelings about you with her, when you feel perhaps the time is right.
Your previous relationship with someone who sent you mixed signals does not mean you did anything wrong.
She should have been openly communicating her needs with you, not your friends.
Good Luck buddy!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.
I can certainly understand the need to protect Kids from any potential danger,physically,sexually or mentally.

I always got the feeling the ex didn't feel 'worthy'(not the right word) BECAUSE she had kids.
As though she shouldn't be burdening someone with the responsibility.
Maybe afraid of rejection,I dunno.

I suppose it's some guys attitudes that have triggered the low self esteem though.

She seems very strong willed and doesn't appear to be looking for a substitute 'dad' anyway'.
Her relationship was abusive.
I'm certainly not out to 'replace' dad who is no longer around.

I'm out of practice with the "guess the right answer" it takes to make relationships work.

I'm a more hands- on approach person.
If there's a problem-fix it-Don't just talk about it.

Women usually hate that,because it's the 'talking about it' bit that they enjoy more.

Hmmm.Maybe I should stick to solo-camping trips after all, I'm even giving myself second thoughts.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
"Nothing has transpired as yet,but I'd be interested to know what you think,what your initial worries are as a mother when you meet someone new."

Hmm, it's been awhile.
Initial worries: power plays, raising tactics, the risk of my children bonding with someone who will not or can not or due to the eventuality of the worst 2-be there anymore.

It really is troublesome. Powerplays and raising tactics in addition to all of the other things and reasons people find to separate. They develop along the way in a relationship and in front of the kids. So whereas with a biological parent these things may be discussed or irrelevant due to the existant bear trap of a shared genetic lifeform; with a new guy and a woman (say myself) present with kids-all of these little itty bitty's reveal themselves as time progresses.

The first thing I think, really, is 'oh great, this is awkward'.

Since I am coming on an age where I will be a woman with grown kids, (you may want to go ahead and do research here too, unless your planning to marry her first to solve alot of the problems and maybe garner yourself a few others if she is not of the quality you desire), well, since I will soon be of the after kids stage, I wonder why I have no worries as to what my children and any couplings will think of each other. I have the slight worry that a person 'attached' to me will attempt to parent my adult offspring; authoritarily instead of to context, in which case I do still worry that I will find myself in a situation I would have rather sooner avoided.

Think of her children in your decisions. Phermones tend to overtake a situation. Also too, from a child's point of view, remembering 'that guy mom was with that was so awesome' doesn't mean nothing but grief when he has come and gone over a period of months, as these instances add up to them-but to you are only once.

She is who you should be discussing these topics with; as well as the kids if they are old enough to hear and answer back. In a way. It is just nice for them to know that you don't know how long you will be there but that you may be there for awhile and that you will try to be an enhancement to their life and not a new stone to bear that they have no control over.

I myself under no circumstances for no amount of attraction will couple with an individual with children.

And you might want to also ask yourself. DO YOU WANT KIDS FOR THE NEXT 18 YEARS. If the real answer is no, but you are still attracted to and drawn to the woman, set the boundries in honesty--and arrange for occurrances OUTSIDE OF THE HOME. Be seperate from what she has going on in other words. And plan to cough up some dough to help her with the neccesary babysitting arrangements. Be supportive-from the distance of: those are her problem. That may be the best way to start at first as you decide whether there are any 'issues' you can't stand to bind your life to; concerning her; as well as if you are able to say: I WANT KIDS FOR THE NEXT 18 YEARS BECAUSE I CAN NOT LIVE WITHOUT THIS WOMAN.

hope this was at least not a waste of your time.
cheers!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
i am living alone for about 2 1/2 years now with my now 12 yo son.
haven.t yet dated anybody, although i would love to
but i guess it is to complicated for the guys
to bother with a single mom

anyway
biggest fears or problems:

1st the boyfriend has to get along with the son, without being interested in him, which i think should be gruanted since he seems to be interested in me ;P

2nd time problem, at first i could only go out when the son is with his dad, since i don.t want to present him a new guy every now and then, the son would love to reunite his mom and dad

3rd the boyfriend has to accept that i am educating/raising my son, not he is educating/raising him, so no interference, which is quiet hard for some guys

4th and then - as mentioned before - it might happen that the kid doesn.t accept the new partner for some reasons, very difficult, but both female and male have to be patient than,

5th if the trouble would be to big, i would always choose my son!

so you have to talk to the woman, find out how she thinks about the situation, and be patient.

sometimes when chatting on the web the very guy gets problems because i can.t be very spontaneous, but i won.t leave my son alone just to meet a guy whom i don.t know yet.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Thanks for the insights.

It seems the whole question is now moot seeing as she hasn't called back in a week anyway :shk:

BUT it's certainly worth getting these perspectives for future reference.
I'm guessing it was too soon for her.

Looks like I'm resigned to loveless,purely physical relationships with girls again.

Heck.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Don't worry or rush it. If she hasn't called back yet, her loss. The right girl is out there somewhere for you and if you keep your mind and heart open like you seem to be doing, you'll surely find her.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thanks for the kind comments WW, I'm thinking along those lines already.
Plenty of work and other projects to keep me busy.

BTW ...

How YOU doin .. hotlips? hehe

Ouuuuch! :w:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Looks like I'm resigned to loveless,purely physical relationships with girls again.

Better that than a loveless, nonphysical marriage.

You don't know how lucky you are!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Better that than a loveless, nonphysical marriage.

I agree, my parents have been at each others throats as early as I can remember (about 3yr old) ,who needs more of the same in their life? :shk:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have a 2 year old and I would say its probably the worry about the guy not being around for too long and not wanting the kid to get attached and then have the guy leave. We do tend to expect the guy to be telepathic though haha.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ahh yes,O for the gift of telepathy.
Just think how many arguments it would save.

All that ...
"I'm fine,there's nothing wrong with me,but I can't believe you don't remember why I'd be upset..IF I was.." ...stuff

I just dug up this thread clearing out my profile..
Well,she didn't call back..:shk:

Should I take this as some kind of hint or should I wait another two months?

Now where's the 'thread bin'?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Ok, I've been well away from the dating scene for a loooong time but I just met a woman who has children.

As a PARENT, having been a single dad for a time, I want to ensure that my relationship with my children will remain primary and that I will be supported in that request, and that they know how to bite their tongue for advice unless I ask them, and realize that they take second fiddle to my children, because they come first.

A secondary theme is that there is no relationship building with my children until I know they will be around for a while.

Dae

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Mildly interested and greatly tolerant of a single mom's children is the balance, I think.

Absolutely spot on! When I was dating as a single mum that was exactly what I was looking for.

AngentT if you are dating women like me and whitewave this is the way to go!

Originally posted by SoulOrb
A secondary theme is that there is no relationship building with my children until I know they will be around for a while.

Yup, in a nut shell what SoulOrb said too.

Good luck and have fun!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
As a divorced man I went through some similar thoughts. You spend most of your life dating single women than all of a sudden find yourself older and dating again. It becomes very difficult to find someone that doesn't have kids or a connection to kids in one way or another.

I think the first decision you have to make is are you willing to accept another persons kids as your own. Then date accordingly to your desicion.

Next I think that children are a reflection of their parent/s. From this it actually gives you a lot of insight about a person that is impossible for a person to hide. This also holds true to how a possible significant other treats your children.

I know some women like to shelter their children from their dating. In some respectd this can be a good thing. I suppose it depends upon your dating goals. Assuming that you are looking for a long term fully comitted relationship involving true love, romance, and all that other stuff I think it becomes important to intoduce children as soon as possible into the relationship. Now by saying this I am not implying that it is not nessesary to ensure your children are safe. I am also assuming that as a role model for your children you are not going to be exposing them to illicit, or immoral activities with your potential partner. i.e sleeping overnights, drinking, drugs, swearing, etc.

I say the above becasue I believe that a persons children are not only a reflection of them but also a part of that person that can not and should not be removed, ignored or made to feel second best. If you are to fall in love with someone then you should be falling in love with their children as well. Their children are an intimate part of that person and should be treated as such.

I also belive that by introducing children early in teh relationship you are teaching them and not sheltering them. Chances are that if you have children and are dating then your previous relationship was screwed up. Is it not your job to teach your children what a real relationship is and is not. If you are considering this person as a life partner that directly affects your children and they should be allowed the same time as you to become adjusted and fall in love with your mate as well. Far too many people do not introduce children until they are too serious in teh relationship. By that time the children have already become alienated from the relaionship. Children should be allowed to grow and become part of the relationship.

I know there are exceptions to all this and you have to be careful all I am saying is that it should be a natural thing. The person and their children are as one and should be included in the realtionship not alienated from it.

So anyway if you are going to date someoen with kids love them as you love their parent and include them. It is also important to discuss and communicate these issues with each other and set the boundaries and ground rules.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Agent T,

I have not seen this thread before so I will comment on it now and attempt to explain a couple of concepts in thought which are not covered especially by the women on this thread..other threads too but by most of the men as well.

I suspect this is because most have difficulty thinking or conceptualizing outside of standard settings on the radio dial so to speak..default setting where most tend to think a thing should play through unquestioned or unchallenged.

First concept...in thought. How many women do you know who take up with and or date a man with children and then marry him. I ask this in lieu of the other way around of a man dating a woman with children and marrying her and by this the children too?? This is a very important question and one which should be asked..by more men.. to and of alot more women.

I say this because of this statement by HugMyRek....

I myself under no circumstances for no amount of attraction will couple with an individual with children.

Remember ...AgentT...only men can be commitment phobes...It is a standard default setting...everyone knows this ....RIGHT??? LOL LOL Not!!

Understand now.... my question or inquiry about how many women do you know who will date or marry a man with children verses the other way around?? Are there statistics on this.? Do women as a whole believe in this much "Equality." Have you ever noticed how many women on these threads ..especially in the Relationship Forums often speak of Unconditional Love??

Notice the conditions on these threads..like this one?? This represents a significant difference in thinking, beliefs, values and also understanding. No unconditional love going on here Agent T.

Its ok and expected ..a natural default setting never to be questioned ...that a man date a woman with children...take up the settings and risks on her radio dial..in exchange for his risks...this is the natural order of things.....even at great risk to him in multitudes of ways....RISK.

THere is something very skewed here in the thinking ..and beliefs often operating ..in this dating scene. Alot of conditions going on here on which seldom is light ever put upon. Light needs to be put upon it.

Agent T....watch how this works...from Orange-light....

anyway
biggest fears or problems:

1st the boyfriend has to get along with the son, without being interested in him, which i think should be granted since he seems to be interested in me ;P

2nd time problem, at first i could only go out when the son is with his dad, since i don.t want to present him a new guy every now and then, the son would love to reunite his mom and dad

3rd the boyfriend has to accept that i am educating/raising my son, not he is educating/raising him, so no interference, which is quiet hard for some guys

4th and then - as mentioned before - it might happen that the kid doesn.t accept the new partner for some reasons, very difficult, but both female and male have to be patient than,

5th if the trouble would be to big, i would always choose my son!

so you have to talk to the woman, find out how she thinks about the situation, and be patient.

sometimes when chatting on the web the very guy gets problems because i can.t be very spontaneous, but i won.t leave my son alone just to meet a guy whom i don.t know yet.

Biggest fears or problems....???

Notice the list...here..even numbered to make it clear.

Notice she says.."it should be granted"?? Is she granting anything here??
Conditions?? Verses "Unconditional Love"

Look at line #3...very interesting. If you date and then marry a woman like this ...are you going to be expected ..even taken for granted that you bring home first fruits in money and RISKS...then get told you have no say so in how your risks are spent and or wasted in raising a child..even one you did not sire...while you take second, third or even further down the line..considerations and conditions from her as well as the child. Women would normally call this abuse if you did it to them. Yet so many women obviously think this is entirely normal and never to be questioned.They print or type out this nonsense on boards like this and never expect to be questioned or challanged on it.This is a formula for women as well as children to be running the show while you take most of the RISKS with little or nothing of value in return. It is obvious that you are guilty from the begining of some crime not worthy of certain considerations or conditions simply because you are a male.

If you pay excessive attention to a list like this from a woman with children..are you leading or following? Are you stepping up to the plate to bat or is she?? And then are you expected to run the bases for her....and the children too?? Are you picking up on her clues and cues to perform a certain way..and substituting her values and thinking processes..expectations for yours? If so in exchange for what??
What are you getting for all this baggage??? Who is expecting unconditional love from someone else and who puts conditions on thier love?? This is important!!

Remember this Agent T!! This is a forumla for becoming a worker bee drone..while ceding or yeilding to the requirements of the Queen BEE...and even the children...no consideration for you. After all you dummy..you will be getting her body once in awhile..it is more than you deserve. Your getting the "Best years of her life." Right?? Notice ..no mention of your life or thinking patterns..beliefs and expectations.

Are you jumping to her insecurities and beliefs ...expectations..or yours??
And how much of this substitution is worth your time and or moneys/RISKS? How much of someone else's insecurities is worth your time and moneys/RISKS??
How much RISK to you take in your occupation for your moneys?? This is important before you go jumping to the tune of an insecure woman trying to mold you and substitute your thinking and expectations for hers. An insecure woman even substituting your thinking and expectations for the childrens wants. Understand now what I mean by default settings?? So many women actually offer so little to a man for the RISKS he takes for the moneys he earns...if you listen carefully to what is not covered here in posts like these..there is an automatic default..a set of givens here..which when you think them through ..leave a lot unsaid...it is designed to leave a lot unsaid. You are never supposed to be able to think this through...dating or in marriage.

THe very interesting thing for me to observe..is how few men even think this through. THe women out here run circles around the men in this and they know it.

When you date women with children ..you are expected to take clues and cues from her ..even concerning the children. This is an arena seldom challenged or questioned by a man to a woman with children.
You need to have enough acumen to ask the question ..if you get seriously involved with this woman will you be required to give first fruits to her and the children while receiving second and third or fourth fruits down the line...from them?? Will you be doing this as a career opportunity? Does this woman even have a clue as to how to bring you in first when you are expected to bring her and the children first fruits...and her do so as a career opportunity.?? Not just you doing so as a career opportunity.

Most women never expect a man to even ask the question...what are you going to do or what do you know in order to bring me as a man in first place. Its a given with most of them....that she determines this..not he. He is expected to work for both sides..and take what he gets when all is consumed..if there is anything left.

Almost no men I know or have known have enough acumen to ask a woman with children any such question or for all that matter ..even a woman without children.

This is because of most men having a natural blindside ...based on a oil shortage mentality. No amount of striking oil is worth all the second or third or further down the line fruits ...considerations from a woman and children....when you are expected even in dating to give first fruit.

You need to know enough to ask these types of questions of a woman you are dating with children ..should you get serious about her. YOu need to know enough to think this through for yourself...with most women.... because they tend to think from a position of insecurity and vulnerability....with you willing and able to make up the difference.

But most of all...you need to know enough to LEAD..in a certain format or arena when dealing with these women and children.

You also need to know that with many women with children..that the children are running the show...Mom is dancing to their tune..not the other way around. The children are leading. You need to know enough to spot this...it means that you will be dancing to the tune of the children as well....with your hard earned RISK. Many women out here think that this is entirely normal..even entitled....even on someone else's RISK. It is not entitled...or normal.

This is why I do not necesarily agree with this statement from Whitewaves post.

Mildly interested and greatly tolerant of a single mom's children is the balance,

Think about this quote above in lieu of what Photobug states about children being a refleciton of their parents. Notice how much tolerance women expect to give while you are expected to be tolerant. This is not a two way street...how much tolerance do you think you will get for your RISKS if you marry a woman with children??
Notice the very absence of this line of thought by many of both the male posters out here as well as the female posters.

Continued on the next post down

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Continued from the above post.. to Agent T...

Notice the very absence of this line of thought by many of both the male posters out here as well as the female posters.

Because socially and often you are expected to follow..not lead....especially when dating a woman with children.

I've dated a number of women with children. I like children but dont care to come in constantly last to a womans tune or the childrens tune. It becomes quickly apparent that with many they think this is entirely normal..even entitled. I am not saying to put the children last place. I am saying the woman also needs to know how to bring me in first place..not substitute my needs and requriements for hers and the childrens needs and requrirments...carte blanche.

I require Peace in the place to which I return after working....not just Piece. There is a huge difference for which most males cannot define. They are actually dumb enough to think that regular Piece is a suitable or reasonable substitute for regular Peace. It is not. No way.

This is what is missing from most of the posts here..male and female both.
In dating as well as if you marry such a woman...with children. Peace.

By the way..Photobug makes some good points in their post.

Enjoy dating these women with children..or even women without children..but keep these concepts in mind. No one wants to talk about them openly but only assume by default that things are or are to be a certain way.

You are not here to come in constantly last place while taking first place RISKS. A knowledgable woman knows this and acts on it..not just defaults through. She can
see sufficiently outside of only her settings and beliefs...what is missing from a mans life and make an arena to provide it for him...first place.
Notice that none of the women on these posts seem to bring up this concept..in lieu of thier requirements and needs. This is a very important clue as to the conditions with which you are supposed to operate. Do not be ignorant of these conditions...though they be hidden and most often unmentioned.....hence easily defaulted.

Notice also that very few of the men seem able to think this through..it is mostly a womans arena...it need not be so. Think it through...do not emote through it.

Be ready, willing, able, and knowledgable enough in dating women..especially women with children..to seriously ask them what first fruit are they capable of bringing to you in exchange for your RISKS as a career opportunity if you decide to marry them...and the children. This is part of leading..not following.
This is important to your Survival and Peace of Mind and Soul Agent T.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 17-6-2009 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is why I do not necesarily agree with this statement from Whitewaves post.

Mildly interested and greatly tolerant of a single mom's children is the balance,

Think about this quote above in lieu of what Photobug states about children being a refleciton of their parents. Notice how much tolerance women expect to give while you are expected to be tolerant. This is not a two way street...how much tolerance do you think you will get for your RISKS if you marry a woman with children??

Hello OT. Normally I enjoy our verbal sparring especially on this topic but I'm a little under the weather today so let me just say that I expect a suitor to be as tolerant of my children as I am.

Children can be frustrating and maddeningly annoying. In a dating situation in which you're just learning about the aggravation tolerance level of your partner, a single mom's sense of RISK to her children is heightened.

You don't know if the guy is a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type who is nice enough over a quiet dinner with just the 2 of you only to become abusive if your kid accidentally bounces a nerf ball off their car.

In your ever present tit-for-tat risk assessment you fail to recognize that a single mom takes a much bigger risk in dating than her suitors do. She may literally be risking the very lives of her children if she chooses poorly.

How much risk went into producing those children? Let's see....the man risked losing 10 minutes of sleep and the woman risked her life, health, beauty, strength and the next 18 years of her life to produce the child. Compound that with the fact that if he runs out on her she has risked everything and he has risked nothing.

If you're looking for "peace" from a woman, especially one with kids, you need to understand that a woman can only bring peace into a relationship if she feels safe in the relationship. That includes safety for her children.

Some of us take our child-rearing responsibilities very seriously and are unwilling to introduce unknown elements; ie: RISKS, into our children's environment.

Sorry but in a dating relationship, men don't get to lead. They can show examples of their ability to lead but a single mom leads her own and her children's lives every day and is not willing to relinquish that authority to any and every man she dates. If she does a child will quickly learn that mom HAS no authority.

As a relationship develops over time a single mom may be more willing to allow a significant other to take a more active role in disciplining and guiding the children but if a date starts bossing my kids around after the first or second time they've been around them they will quickly get a boot out the door.

Dates need to understand that it is my job, my responsibility and ultimately my decision to apply any corrective action to my children. They can make their preferences known and I will do my best to keep my children from offending but if a suitor wants to accept the RISKS of co-raising my children, he will have to show himself capable and worthy first.

*edit for pissy attitude-sorry*

[edit on 17-6-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Whitewave,
The board was under maintenance earlier this morning and I lost the first attempt at reply to your post. I hope to get the gist of what I first attempted.

Children indeed can be frustrating and maddeningly annoying and require alot of patience and careful forethought. THey can also in a childs way be very perceptive about alot of things.

I will also tell you that I would not think highly of a parent ..male or female who would not be careful about RISKS to thier children

In your ever present tit-for-tat risk assessment you fail to recognize that a single mom takes a much bigger risk in dating than her suitors do. She may literally be risking the very lives of her children if she chooses poorly.

This is indeed true...but it applies to a single dad as well. For as time transpires it is becoming increasingly clear that there is a large number of women out here for whom Instant gratification is their balliwick at the expense of men in thier lives and even the children. It often only becomes apparent when the children become public..not the men..the men are for all purposes disposable and expendable...literally unheard and unseen. This is obvious by the pattern some of the posts here on this topic. By what is posted and what is not posted.

How much risk went into producing those children? Let's see....the man risked losing 10 minutes of sleep and the woman risked her life, health, beauty, strength and the next 18 years of her life to produce the child. Compound that with the fact that if he runs out on her she has risked everything and he has risked nothing.

This is textbook stereotyping. There is a whole system in place to default women and children into a certain place..the men too. Most of the men I have known are put in second third or last place while making payments with no determination of how and to what the moneys are spent upon. In short...she and the child get some of the benifits of a marriage while nothing is protected or him. This matters not whether she left or did he. In otherwords...she leads. Not he...he RISKS for hers and the childrens benifits of marriage..while nothing is protected for him. Carte Blanche. She indeed does take RISKS...but only her RISKS are heard or mentioned...once again...he is unheard and unseen.

If you're looking for "peace" from a woman, especially one with kids, you need to understand that a woman can only bring peace into a relationship if she feels safe in the relationship. That includes safety for her children.

Some of us take our child-rearing responsibilities very seriously and are unwilling to introduce unknown elements; ie: RISKS, into our children's environment.

I understand as well as most but a woman also needs to understand that RISKS are part of a relationship...and an occupation. In a manner of speaking as one gets serious about a partner...this relationship increases in importance/significance. She too needs to understand that if a relationship is to take place..He too needs safety..a safety net ..not just her and the children. Once again..the male is not mentioned. How does a woman of acumen expect to care for a man if she cannot conceptualilze but one way relationships..her and the children?? Is he "Optional" and not responsible as she is trying to mold him to be responsible to her and the children??
This is not unconditional love....it is conditional.

As to being unwilling to introduce risks...or unknown elements into a childs enviornment ...think this thorugh carefully.

How many women..men also.. do you know who plant thier children in front of a television set as a babysitter, feed and water them, ..and introduce unknown RISKS and elements into their childs enviornment?? Yet they ignorantly think this is normal and even entitled. Even the children over time think it is so. Astonishing. I know lots of these women...and men....and thier children. The children soon enough have a television/movie education and are quite shocked one day when they leave the nest..to find out that the streets are not quite like television and movies.

A proper parent/parents introduce their children to measured risks..in order to get thier children to grow up into reality ..to be able to handle life away from the nest. Not to come running back to the nest/television/movies everytime life gets to difficult. A proper parent/parents teach their children to STAND for the day when they will no longer be around to STAND with and for them.
This Whitewave...is LOVE and loving your children ....even giving them love...from the grave...becasue this education/knowledge ..will serve them when one is no longer here to wipe their runny noses and or messy bottoms.

This is indeed ...timeless love...beyond the limits of our physical existance.
Unconditional Love. From beyond the grave.

Indeed child rearing responsibilities are to be taken seriously..very seriously. Both male and female.

Why...because it is and can be a jungle out here...a very rough tough jungle if one is not properly prepared.

Sorry but in a dating relationship, men don't get to lead. They can show examples of their ability to lead but a single mom leads her own and her children's lives every day and is not willing to relinquish that authority to any and every man she dates. If she does a child will quickly learn that mom HAS no authority.

As a relationship develops over time a single mom may be more willing to allow a significant other to take a more active role in disciplining and guiding the children but if a date starts bossing my kids around after the first or second time they've been around them they will quickly get a boot out the door.

LOL LOL Whitewave...I dont agree with you here and for these reasons.

First off a man should watch and observe carefully at first..to determine if he thinks this woman has potential..the children too. Patience is in order here to see if this relationship is going to develop into this very potential.
If not ...dont waste your time as a man trying to instill some diciipline into the children...or woman.
What I will look for is whether the children are grounded in reality or in fantasy expectations and beliefs. If they know how to do more than work a television remote controller and telephone keypad. Has Mom or thier Dad taught them more than this. Do they look or appear to be interested in more than this. Are they looking for guidance from a male...both male and female children or are they fast food lane children.
Are the children running the show or is Mom running the show? Is Mom teaching them to stand on their own two feet or on her two feet...forever??? I do know women like this out here. Some men too. And the children will untimately pay the price for this fingerprint as well.

At an opportune time when the relationship has developed sufficient and you two are alone you begin to discuss this concept of shared dicipline of the children. You as a male must get her to understand that when it is done ..shared dicipline.. it must be done in a manner that the children understand that you two are a team..not seperate. A tag team if you like..backing each other up...and that mom is not powerless or does not have authority...but instead...she now has more power and authority. She has someone watching her back..that she is not alone out here among the wildlife. If the children are disrespectful to mom they are disrespectful to you ..if they are disrespectful to you they are disresepectful to mom. This is your goal. That the children come to understand this if you are going to be serious about Mom. That you two are a team..one team. One!!

This is how you properly and respectfully lead a woman...and children as well.

If you as a male cannot get mom to understand this concept ..or that with more power and authority comes more responsibility.....than you are wasting your time. Drop her like a hot potato. She can never bring Peace to you..only Piece. And Piece is not a good substitue for Peace.

It is Ersatz.

If you are a man...a man's man...you instinctively know that for a woman..the right woman..you will have to go where this woman ..fears and loaths to go. You will have to do things...accomplish things of which they want no part. And you will often have to do this alone..no safety net.
You also know that you..if you are a loving caring parent...you must teach this concept and understanding to the children..that they may have to do this themselves as part of thier survival tool kit. Even to walk alone...and above all else...to STAND.

And by the usage of the word STAND..I also and especially mean to STAND as in HIS WORD and meaning.

This is a fearful thing for many parents..and rightfully so. What many parents have difficulty understanding is that the alternataive is often more fearful if the children cannot STAND.
They also often have great difficulty with the understanding that a good swift kick in the pants or swat on the proper place of application is loving your children. For the world outside the doors..is often way harder, more cruel, and viscious than a swift kick in the pants.

Well Whitewave..I am running on and on..but I think you of sufficient character and WISDOM that you understand to what I am alluding.

I do not actually think we are that far apart in our views here on this...

But I do hope this clarifys much of how I think on this topic.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 19-6-2009 by orangetom1999]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join