It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 114
<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by meagerhair

That's excellent work! Starred and thank you! Could you have a look at the correlative aspect I mentioned a few minutes ago? Would really appreciate it, because it's not just the very clear increase in flow (when 79 years of stats say it should be dropping by a greater amount than it's actually increasing), it's the pattern of the increase. I'd be grateful for other opinions because I've been on this about 12 hours per day for the last week (less than a lot of members, I know!) and my head is spinning...

Any way to calculate the volume of all that water in sum total? I mean, I know it's doable but if someone can actually give us a figure and see how that could be hypothetically related to the known, existing dome in that lake, it might help to give us a picture of what could be really happening.

Many thanks,

Mike

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thanks yet again Mike for your insightful information.

That will keep me busy for another hour i bet!

Sounds like you need to take a serious break friend, take it easy.

Regards

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Surely you are mistaken. Not focusing on the many outside influences (and confluences) leads to poor results.

Knowing what the animals were doing "years ago" would be applicable then only if we could have effectively predicted or somehow known with accuracy what is happening now.

Make sense?

Why should we not wonder how they are behaving considering the now series of events?

*Edit grammar.

[edit on 1/2/09 by SevenandFive]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Quick question....
The quakes seem to be centralized under the lake. Are these quakes staying pretty deep, are do the tend to be rising closer to the surface?
I ask because if the quakes are rising closer to the surface, they could be a result of rising magma that is heating water and cracking the rock which would lead to these sharp quakes. And if this were to be true, is it possible that a rupture could form at the bottom of the lake resulting in drainage of water towrd the magma chamber resulting in an explosive eruption?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The height of LKWY has definitely increased as per...

pboweb.unavco.org...

Wonder if the peak outflows correlate to the other two spikes on the graph from a day or two ago?

There may the be smoking gun..

[edit on 2-1-2009 by dustystrings]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
'reply to post by Mushussu by Justmike"
From just a few pages back

First , Good morning all.

"Yes, the Juan de Fuca fault may well have an influence in all this....... but it is not unreasonable to consider that there may be "tentacles" of magma that reach much further inland. "
Not to butt heads or add to you head ache (sorry you have one) and ,
Not being un schooled here , I think we are talking about the same 'elephant' here just from 2 different angles. I do appreciate your thoughts and input and look forward to more.

*Note to all as a reminder*
Typing thoughts and info can be easy to get impersonal even a little mean as it did yesterday off and on. Please be mindful of your wordage.

Took me a while to scan through last 10 pages or so .
It is tgf starbucks this am.

I have a few sites to post as up dates for those who haven't seen.
Where did they go...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Now is important too, but I think the broader view is just as important if we want to see the big picture. Im not saying look at animal behavior for the past 30 years for anything other than comparison. Im saying look at the past year or two. Yellowstone just strikes me as the the pot that boils the frog.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
On the subject of animal behavior.
I have been riding snowmobile since about 1970, I checked the various snowmobile forums that everyone goes too. For West Yellowstone, one person asked about the quakes and got totally ignored. In the same thread is several people that have a buisness there and live there. No response what so ever from any of them. The park is still open to the sledders and they have not slowed down activity.
So, the human animal is still the same, just ignore it and it will go away.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
FOUND them.. back pg 104.

I got a lot of stars on that one..

Here is a site of interest if any haven't seen. It is a long pan but good read and info

www.geology.wisc.edu...

And this one shows the chamber with topo map.

www.nationalparkstraveler.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

I think we are both saying the same thing: Look at everything and how it relates.
I think I misunderstood your earlier posting.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

People out here in Yellowstone-land are reporting weird pet and human behavior - moodiness, restlessness, etc. Also some strange wildlife encounters, such as a fox that will not quit barking, flying squirrels very active in daylight and a bull elk running down the highway (should have migrated down the mountain weeks ago, but it came back for some reason), grizzly bears that have not hibernated yet. Waiting to hear from friends in the park about wolves, bison, elk, wintering birds, etc. Adds another dimension to small talk - usually it's just about how much snow we have, how many plows are broken down, etc.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dustystrings

Excellent!

And from your link I found this:

scienceblogs.com...

Pictures and graphs of the caldera.

I strongly urge everyone to check this out!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by dustystrings
...Wonder if the peak outflows correlate to the other two spikes on the graph from a day or two ago?

There may the be smoking gun..
[edit on 2-1-2009 by dustystrings]

Hi there,

yes, my thinking is that they do correlate very closely and this could well be the smoking gun, as there is no way to explain the increase in output from the lake by precipitation. I gave a few details back in this post on the previous page, but the way this thread is bubbling along it's no surprise if you missed it!!
I'd be very glad if you take a close look at the outflow data versus the helicorder traces and see how it all looks to you, because a consensus of opinion on this would make it worthwhile for a US-based member to ask some pointed questions of the experts about it and see what they have to say.

@ Mushussu: to save making another post I'll reply to you in this one.

We are certainly both on the same page and I agree with you about the significance of the Juan de Fuca. My apologies if my writing didn't convey that as well as I would like; much of what I wrote was basically presented as general info for any members who may be quite new to all this sort of thing (plate tectonics, magma creation, volcano processes etc).

Best regards and I am now really going to take a break

Mike

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Probably because its not as serious as this thread makes out.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenandFive

AWWWWSOME!!
Lets keep this one too as one for the refresher books!
It really combines a lot of individual sites!
Good show!!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

No harm done

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by humanaqurian
reply to post by j2000

Probably because its not as serious as this thread makes out.

I think I'll agree with you for now.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I have seen on tv a few days ago (maybe 4-5) - bison were coming back to the plains and the herds were extremely close to humans. The narator said that actually there are more human deaths from bizon than bears, even though both were rare. Children were warned not to go close to them as they could accidentally hurt them.
The explanation for bison being so close to humans was that the amount of snow in the mountains made it hard for them to find food...

This was at Yellowstone.

[edit on 2-1-2009 by greshnik]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dustystrings

People out here in Yellowstone-land are reporting weird pet and human behavior - moodiness, restlessness, etc. Also some strange wildlife encounters, such as a fox that will not quit barking, flying squirrels very active in daylight and a bull elk running down the highway (should have migrated down the mountain weeks ago, but it came back for some reason), grizzly bears that have not hibernated yet. Waiting to hear from friends in the park about wolves, bison, elk, wintering birds, etc. Adds another dimension to small talk - usually it's just about how much snow we have, how many plows are broken down, etc.

Hmm interesting. I live in Northern California where we have alot of EQ's. Just prior to EQ's our animals start acting really weird, they run back and forth barking trying to alert us and when it gets closer they just start barking at the ceiling and the side of the house it is coming in from. This last lil one we had on the 30th had them doing their normal thing but what was weird was that they where out of sorts (barking at the ceiling and things that werent there) all the way through the night of the 31st. We didnt have any further EQ's just the one lil one. So animals being sensitive to them is a given. It may also affect wild animals even more so as most use magnetic pulls to tell them when its time to migrate. Now in an EQ the magnetics are all screwy so perhaps all of the shaking around yellowstone has thrown them off?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

good morning all - hey JustMike did you see 12/02/09 at 6:00 am black line

www.quake.utah.edu...

top topics

<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join