It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 117
<< 114  115  116    118  119  120 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by humanaqurian
reply to post by Knobee

Ive been following this thread for 4 days and at one point people were discusing what the best gas masks are for vocanic ash and what supplies they should be stocking up on.

True, but in nearly 2000 (?) posts, the conspiracy and "end of the world" talk has remained amazingly low.

Now for something relevant: rev.seis.sc.edu...

Pretty cool page that allows you to look at "recent" earthquakes and the waveforms that were created. Only 2 of the Yellowstone quakes are there, but they are pretty neat to "explore".

-K

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by trusername
reply to post by xoxo stacie

I was just thinking the same thing -

because this link is usually much calmer - but it's not this morning (look at past dates)

www.quake.utah.edu...

It has actually moved all the way out to YMR and YMP somewhat moderate but def a pick up from previous days.
At this point I would have to say the east side of the lake YTP moving north through LKW then going off in a v type angle at YML over to YMR and YMP
I do believe they (last 2) are on a fault area too.

link   
USGS looks to be a little behind, but it looks like we are off to another strong run of EQ's

link   
Well still all quiet, no ground shaking or tremors or rumbles felt here in Casper...just alot of wind. I dont think anyone has to worry about this, its just slight increased activity during its normal cycles. As one poster noted, something can happen in 4 minutes, or 4 hours, or 4 years or 4 centuries.

I spoke with a siesmologist at the Casper office of the Wyoming Geological Association this morning and he told me that much of the activity is slightly above normal, but nothing to be concerned about since its not the first time increases have been recorded. He assured me that if there was anything abnormal in the readings that indicated any reason to be concerned about, the "get the hell out of dodge" warnings would be plastered all over the local and state wide media via activation of the state's EAS warning system. If there were indications that would lead to the suspicion of something may occur, the state EAS system would be putting out notifications during these current slight increased activity.

I also contacted the primary state EAS station in Cheyenne about this and they have not received any heads up from the Yellowstone monitoring stations or the geological association.

Basically folks, the world isnt comming to an end and if this thing were going to be of any real concern, there would have been clear warnings sent out by now in all of the states surrounding Wyoming, plus Wyoming itself about it.

Relax, have a cup of joe, some cookies and enjoy the rest of the weekend. One thing is for certian, alot of folks, including me, are getting some neat lessons in reading seismology charts!

Have fun!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

I have the GEE software up and running.
Have you guys considered downloading it(as a supplement to the UofU and other sites)?
Great stuff, really.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mushussu

Right, I was agreeing with why this thread is important.... seems I may have been misunderstood.

If nothing else, there will be sooo much information archived here for future events.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

The animation you posted is of a MSH Lava Dome eruption as seen from the remote camera on Sugar Bowl, July 31, 2005 through August 8, 2005.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why now they're reviewing and adding only few selected earthquakes a few times a day while some days ago they seemed to be working like mad to add almost in realtime even the smallest ones not picked by the automatic sensors. That's not cool.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Yes I noticed that as well. Very strange indeed if not very creepy! I keep saying to myself: A watched pot never boils. So...i keep on watching..... Nothing else we can do.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Agreed .
I meant no harm.
Between waiting for the next event and last..
Sometimes it is just good to talk and
ironically vent our own thoughts.
'poser thoughts'

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenandFive

I downloaded it too

do you have it streaming? how do you do that? I haven't figured it out

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by trusername
reply to post by SevenandFive

I downloaded it too

do you have it streaming? how do you do that? I haven't figured it out

When it opens enlarge the map over yellowstone area
then look for the gray lake icon and click the ones around it
I start with TA.F17A seems to be the best one at picking up stuff
then on top click load real time data
it will go to the data page and start streaming

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by humanaqurian
reply to post by Knobee

Ive been following this thread for 4 days and at one point people were discusing what the best gas masks are for vocanic ash and what supplies they should be stocking up on.

From what I remember of that documentary the West Coast and Midwest would mostly be so bad that there is no protection.

1) A few feet of ash and or ash and water basically entomb like Pomeii over 1/3 of the USA

2) The whole Western hemisphere experiences what we older folk were told would happen after a large nuclear exchange.. that being a "nuclear winter" where by so much particulate is thrown up into the atmosphere that the sun is blocked out and temperatures plunge, killing crops and livestock.

The last few Yellowstone super eruptions left these areas buried in ash:

As for preparation, besides good old FEMA, I found this site. It's simple but there is some useful info at the bottom:

United States Volcano Search and Rescue Task Force
www.ussartf.org...

Other Resources
www.emergencydude.com...

www.yoursurvival.com...

www.ambilacuk.com...

www.fema.gov...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It has taken from the 27th untill now for the events to move north this far.
That is apox. 2/3ds way to top of deformation.
Halving the days and if progress continues the next 4 day could get very interesting.
I believe it is thinner in depth at the top.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I think it's great to talk to people there on the ground. You might also want to show them the charts.

I work a lot with the City here and I find it wise never to assume that departments are always in the know, or in excellent communication with each other or state or federal.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

thanks! very helpful!

It's trying to receive data for me now

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If this site is to be believed and if this gentleman is still the director
he does not give me a vote of confidence.
I think Trusername said it best with F E M A
Being basically ineffective.

Here is the site.. he stutters and falters to questioning.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S2J3i34XW8

FEMA UNDERGROUND - its underground facilities to help protect civilians.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Yep, I think I'm following your same strategy. Although my family has said - between snide remarks - that if there really is something - shouldn't we do something.

I was thinking - there is so much rain right now that I'm sure the reservoirs are all uncovered. But if we were to notice a real event - the cities should be on alert to cover the open water or it will become cement. So, I've been gently showing people in different departments some charts - just to give them a heads up. They're grateful - they hadn't been watching at all. I'm doing it very very non alarmist - letting them become curious on their own - I find it's the best way to get action.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
YPP intensefied strongly

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I tried to tell my husband about it but he really didn't seem interested at all. I guess some people really don't care. It surprised me. He was like this about Mt. St. Helens too. When she finally woke back up to do some dome building it took an actual eruption happening in front of him to finally believe something was happening. I guess some people just do not believe in things unless they are really happening, and squiggles on a seismograph mean nothing to him.

I just roll my eyes and continue to explore and learn about whats going on. His loss, right?

top topics

<< 114  115  116    118  119  120 >>

join