It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US Forces Under Attack in Ar Ramadi, Iraq - Heavy Coalition Casualties

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I'm not going to argue that this war is totally comparable to Viet Nam. I don't think any two historical events can be completely parallel. However, the idea that this isn't like Viet Nam simply because the casulty rate in Viet Nam was 50,000+ and the casulty rate in Iraq is about 600+ is not a compelling argument. The deaths, in Viet Nam, occurred over a span of time from roughly the early 60's to the early 70's...10 years...the casulty rates, in Iraq span only a year.
Therefore, I don't think that the argument that casulty numbers are the distinguishing factor, between the two wars, holds.
You also have to compare the losses in ratio to the number of troops.
This, to me, seems a combination of the worst of Viet Nam and the worst of Somalia,but, perhaps, I'm just pessimistic tonight.
joey

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
well im opposed to stormin a mosque it would just make this a holy war. Let the person desecrate the temple dont make him a martyr. Also not being able to trust be general public is common in every wartime situation. I know troops taht have came back sayin they dont trust them because there is brobly about 5000 bad guys out there that are soo spread out and imbeded within the population that you dotn knwo who is good and who is bad. I head a story about a soldier who was a driver just runnin over Iraqs. I was shocked then he told em why. Many of his buddies were killed because of iraqies with small arms or rpg standing in the road waitin for the americans to slow down or stop and then attack them.

and about the mosque situation again. US troops can not go in! Iraqui police maybe but we need to kill all his supporters in the surrounding area then get the population to rise up and pull him out.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver

and about the mosque situation again. US troops can not go in! Iraqui police maybe but we need to kill all his supporters in the surrounding area then get the population to rise up and pull him out.

This points out one of the very big problems over there -the ineffectiveness of the Iraqi police. Tonight on the news it was reported that in many cases they drop their arms and run, out of fear.

They haven't been trained well enough or long enough to be effective yet.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
here is an interesting articel for yall to look at

A Bunch of Reasons Why Iraq Is Not Like Vietnam

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Very interesting article indeed.
If you want to challenge my views and opinions just go a head, please I like it, but can't you do anything better than purely rely on other people's work? No offence.
And then, too bad it hardly looks at anything other than the rate and reason of casualties and wounded in both wars. In my opinion, this article hardly challenges any of my points. I wasn't trying to make a point on that part of the story but more in a general kind of human sense.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What are these (mod edit: watch the derogatory words!!) thinking. I mean god damn do they want to be a bunch of starving third world bastards for the rest of their countries pitiful existence. My dad is out there and he said only 4 guys died in Falluja last week and he's in Ar Ramadi and there's nothing going on there. The reason the Marines moved into Falluja today is cause the Division is out for blood. Those 4 marines will be avenged quickly guys over there take that stuff seriously and are just waiting to knock off some (mod edit)

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
well i have to rely on other people works i wasnt even a twinkle in my mothers eye when Vietnam was happenin. lol and im glad that your open to other people views very mature compared to som memebers

[Edited on 4^6^04 by Quicksilver]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
US strategy error is the only way they could overwhelm our forces.

What are they fighting for? DO they want their people to be in poverty forever?

Well lets see...
The US backs Iraq and provides it with WMD's to fight Iran.
The US invades Iraq.
The US starves Iraq through sanctions
The US gets rid of Iraqs WMD's
The US invades Iraq again to get the WMD's they have already gotten rid of.
The US forces are occupying Iraq...

Maybe they just want to be left alone to run their own country in a way they see fit?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
UN Resolution 1441....ring a bell specialasian?
Here is a quote from a major opponent of this war...France:

Instead, the two said that the first resolution on Iraq, 1441, passed the previous year, provided enough legal cover for war and that France would keep quiet if the US went to war on that basis.

France 'sought secret UN deal' in bid to avert row

seekerof

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Well it all makes sense now.
I just saw king george on fox say
"these people HATE FREEDOM, and we love freedom, thats the problem"

Do they really 'hate freedom' or is that just the dumbest thing you have ever heard?
I only see things getting worse. What with the turmoil in Iraq and 911 falling apart rapidly, i would advise all to hold on. Its gonna be a wild ride atleast right up to the election.(if you can call it that)

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
did bush really fly over to iraq last thanksgiving or did i dream that?

june 30, is that when iraq's new government takes over? i don't think so, we are going to be stuck there for a long time... i feel a draft

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
SKY says , and I quote directly "Earlier reports put the death toll after the 'intense' battle as high as 130."

They are being vague, probably not on purpose. The number likely includes both Coalition and Insurgent deaths.

Not to downplay the loss of life, but the major issue here should be the fact that it appears a trained military force is at work, not a few fanatics with AK's.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by razorbackhater
did bush really fly over to iraq last thanksgiving or did i dream that?

No, it happened.

june 30, is that when iraq's new government takes over? i don't think so, we are going to be stuck there for a long time... i feel a draft

No President in their right mind is going to institute a draft unless it's World War III. What I can see is adding benefits to those soldiers that are currently enlsited, to entive them to serve more tours.

Conscripts never make as good soldiers as those who chose to be there.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
No President in their right mind is going to institute a draft unless it's World War III. What I can see is adding benefits to those soldiers that are currently enlsited, to entive them to serve more tours.

Conscripts never make as good soldiers as those who chose to be there.

they better be some damn good benefits

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Money is a very powerful incentive. Increase paychecks and pensions and you've got alot of return customers, along with a few new ones.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen
What the HELL did you think was was going to happen.

Anybody out there Old enough to remember Lebanon

Roland the Thompson Gunner

Roland the headless Thompson gunner...

The legend lives on

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
UN Resolution 1441....ring a bell specialasian?
Here is a quote from a major opponent of this war...France:

Instead, the two said that the first resolution on Iraq, 1441, passed the previous year, provided enough legal cover for war and that France would keep quiet if the US went to war on that basis.

France 'sought secret UN deal' in bid to avert row

seekerof

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Seekerof]

So your volunteering to take that info to Iraq and tell the resistance to stop fighting coz it turns out it was all legal... I doubt it would work... someone asked why they were fighting back and i gave an answer... simple

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
specialasianX...

>>>The US backs Iraq and provides it with WMD's to fight Iran.

So what�s your point ?

So did a lot of other countries...

>>>The US invades Iraq.

And your point again ?

It happened, get over it...

>>>The US starves Iraq through sanctions

Nope...sorry...Saddam did this, ( took the Oil for food money, and tried to build up his military )...

>>>The US gets rid of Iraqis WMD's

???

>>>The US forces are occupying Iraq...

Yes this is a War, and it does entail occupying a country...

>>>The US invades Iraq.

And your point again ?

It happened, get over it...

>>>The US starves Iraq through sanctions

Nope...sorry...Saddam did this, ( took the Oil for food money, and tried to build up his miliary )...

>>>The US gets rid of Iraqs WMD's

???

>>>The US invades Iraq again to get the WMD's they have already gotten rid of.

Can you provide some concreate evidense ( if you're going on the Kay statements, then the evidence isn't in yet ) to prove this statement ?

>>>The US forces are occupying Iraq...

Yes this is a War, and it does entail occupyuing a country, so again What's your point...

I don't think you have a point here...

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Yoda]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
yet another reason to drop some MOAB's when under attack drop those and they will never do it again. its the only way these people listen and that is mayor use of force.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Reuters reported a short time ago that Polish troops killed a top aide of al Sadr.

Also, al Sadr himself managed to sneak out of the mosque he was holed up in and made his way to another city, where he is less welcome.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join