It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US Forces Under Attack in Ar Ramadi, Iraq - Heavy Coalition Casualties

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
US Forces came under attack in the Sunni Triangle city of Ar Ramadi today. Reports from sources in the area indicate extremely heavy fighting as rebels storm a US Marines compound in the city. The compound is staffed by Echo Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Regiment.
The Pentagon is reporting "significant" US KIAs (killed in action) and many injuries. Pentagon officials have indicated at least twelve dead, but unconfirmed early reports put the number of deaths at over 100. All accounts indicate thus far that the lower number is representative of the true number of American casualties.

Sky.com

The attack started after midnight local time when the compound was fired upon by groups armed with assault rifles, RPGs and mortars. Waves of offense indicated this was a well-organized and coordinated attack that had been planned out for some time.

Coalition forces have contained the threat by this early hour and have reportedly captured several of the insurgents.

Reports from the ground are calling this the "most intense" fighting since the beginning of the war. Military sources say the insurgents appear to be well-trained in urban combat, and that the attack seems to have been planned out well in advance. Waves of heavily armed fighters stormed the compound and fighting spilled out onto the streets.

It was initially believed that the al-Mahdi Army, commanded by Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, was involved in the attack. However, the possibility remains open that the insurgents were Baathist loyalists to ousted leader Saddam Hussein.

This is being called a Jihad by religous leaders in the country, according to the Pentagon.

Related News Stories:
Bloomberg.com
Associated Press
Reuters

Related ATSNN Stories:
Al-Sadr Supporters Take Over Najaf

Related ATS Discussion:
Profile of Muqtada al-Sadr

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Further reports suggest the U.S. forces are being overwhelmed.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
As a self confessed news buff I like it when I hear it here first.

Well done Banshee.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
being reported on Fox that the resistance actually has an organized army of sorts comprising of both sunnis and shi'ites. They also seemed to be well armed and a Coalition compound is under attack.

This fox link, touches on it briefly:
Marines Move Into Fallujah, Fighting Elsewhere

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
US strategy error is the only way they could overwhelm our forces.

What are they fighting for? DO they want their people to be in poverty forever?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
No links yet!! Jeez!
I'm trying to gather info from where I can, but Fox is the only station with any real coverage.
Post with any links anyone happens to find, please!

-B.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Reports coming in indicate that this is the work of the Al-Mahdi army.

"This is jihad, this is total war" in a statement from them given to the pentagon.

This is it folks.

Day one.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
What the HELL did you think was was going to happen.

Anybody out there Old enough to remember Lebanon

Roland the Thompson Gunner

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The Pentagon has confirmed "significant" losses in the battle. No numbers yet.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Seems to be a fear that this uprising may spread to the inner regions of the Suni Triangle. I did hear our troops pulled back in Fallujah at nightfall to keep them less exposed.

Let's hope this does not spread.
That psyco cleric, al-Sadr has said if we withdraw from the Suni Triangle and release all Iraqi prisoners he would negotiate a truce. This one is trouble, big time. He has the ability to also link Al-Queada to an actual "military" force within Iraq. Something that would be very bad for us.

I wonder if the US regrets their opposition to the Israeli killing of the wheelchair-bound murderer in Gaza? I think a hellfire directed at the head of al-Sadr is in order.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This guy is going to get his arse whooped. They may have gotten the better of US in a single battle. But they are going to put the hurt on him and his rag tag little band on Jhihadis.. Bye bye!!

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by dreamrebel]

TPL

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Heres the problem, every time you kill one of the guys you upset/anger his relatives, (remember the size of these families aswell) some of these take up arms and fight the US, the US kills them. The cycle starts again.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Reuters reporting up to a dozen US dead.

Initial report.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

Initial report.

Sky reporting 130 US dead.
Huge difference in the numbers being reported.
Sky News was on top of the toll in the Madrid bombing, their numbers hours ahead of other news sources. This doesn't look good....

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yeh,I didn't see the headline change.

130!!!

I can't believe that.If it's true it is a disaster.

TPL

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

Originally posted by John bull 1

Initial report.

Sky reporting 130 US dead.
Huge difference in the numbers being reported.
Sky News was on top of the toll in the Madrid bombing, their numbers hours ahead of other news sources. This doesn't look good....

That cant be right, can it?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Link to Sky report:
www.sky.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
They might be counting Iraqi's?
I don't know.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Mission accomplished, woo hoo! Oh...wait a minute....

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL
That cant be right, can it?

To be honest, I can't be sure right now.

This battle has been going on for a few hours, and reports are still coming in.

The 130 number is still highly unconfirmed. I've got the TV on (the only coverage I've had until it hit the net VERY recently), and have listened to the number go from 1 to 9 to 10 to 12 to 16 ... and so on.
When the train bombings in Madrid happened, Sky News consistently reported a higher death toll than any other news source, reporting 200 dead when others said 50, and their numbers turned out to be correct once everything was sorted out.
I am still treating the higher death toll as unconfirmed and taking it with a grain of salt, but Sky has been accurate in these situations before.

-B.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join