It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Blowback: More Than 650 Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Wow, the ignornace is strong in this thread.

One time I had to prove global warming was real by using only layman's terms. Something simple and completely true. It went like this:

Colors, the way they work is simple. When you see an object that is blue, that means the object is absorbing all colors except blue, and the blue is reflecting off the object and into your eyes. When something is white, it is not absorbing any colors, and is actually reflecting all colors. When something is black, it is absorbing ALL colors, and reflecting no color into your eyes. This is why you get really hot when you wear a black t-shirt in the Sun, it is absorbing all the light. Also, white t-shirts don't heat up, because they reflect all the light. Pretty simple.

Now, think of SMOG. The pollutants in the air from vehicles. In California, the entire sky is the color GREY, because of this SMOG. Normally the sky should be CLEAR. Since the color of the sky is GREY, which is a "light black", that means the sky is absorbing more light! Light = heat

So you see, having a grey substance floating in the air is actually absorbing the light, and creating heat in the air! When this happens, it melts ice, and when ice melts, guess what? The ice was acting like a white t-shirt in the Sun, keeping the ocean water cool. When the white t-shirt is off (melted snow), then the dark ocean will absorb more light, and the ocean water will warm up! This will speed up the melting ice.

Once all that "global warming" happens you get "global weather change" because it offsets the normal hot/cold areas. Hot and cold areas directly effect pressure in the air, and cause wind's, and storms, and just a bunch of problems.... no matter what, it doesn't look good from here.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Wrong! Smog is mostly particulates. The suspended particles create the color. CO2 is invisible and only accounts for 380ppm of the atmospheric gas content. Water vapor is much more prevalent and is the most powerful greenhouse gas.

Man cannot change the weather!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Wrong! Smog is mostly particulates. The suspended particles create the color.

lol... just lol.

He's pointing out that our waste has color... and you tell him he's wrong, it's our waste that has color, but you can't see it when you look at it particle by particle?

Mod Edit: Politness is mandatory...

[edit on 12/15/2008 by seagull]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Question...say man is influencing the natural cycle of global warming and speeding up the process...we stop releasing so much co2 into the atmosphere and global warming slows down slightly because we have already done alot of damage.The permafrost in siberia about the size of north america has ALOT of methane trapped under it,methane is 20x worse than CO2 for influencing global temps...that will melt in say 100 years even if we clean up our act we are still going to have a severe change of climate anyway...shouldnt we be investing in ways to save ourselves for when the SHTF which it will do one way or the other?

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Solomons]

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Wrong! Smog is mostly particulates. The suspended particles create the color.

lol... just lol.

He's pointing out that our waste has color... and you tell him he's wrong, it's our waste that has color, but you can't see it when you look at it particle by particle?

You used to find x on math tests by circling it didn't you?

You 2 must be related. Smog does not cause global warming. It is a localized phenomenon. It may do lots of nasty things where it sits, but it doesn't warm the earth.

Man cannot change the weather.

Go make it rain next time there's smog. Go make the wind blow, next time there's smog. It is the result of an inversion that prevents the diffusion of the particulate content of exhaust etc in the air. It settles out and disperses. It doesn't change the entire earth's temperature.

I'd put my grades up against yours any day in any subject. Read a few books, ask a few questions, and you too can learn things.

Then again, based on the foregoing, maybe not.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Man cannot change the weather!

I suggest you do an ATS search on this very subject. There's a lot of good information about exactly how man certainly DOES change the weather.

weather modification list of links/sources

[edit on 11-12-2008 by whitewave]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I think lots of people are overlooking the fact that it doesn't matter how many scientists say man made global warming is a hoax. The governments of the world need to keep pushing global warming so that they can continue taxing the hell out of people and to put large constraints on third world countries.

Also so many everyday people believe in this stuff it would be hard to shift it out of their heads. Entire movements are based on this idea, large amounts of money are spent on it each year. Numerous studies have shown that when someone believes something, even when evidence is presented to refute what they believe, they often refuse to accept that evidence.

The idea of man made global warming is sadly here to stay.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is a very cool thing to see so many accomplished scientists saying this, interesting enough of course the very thing the -ahem- "conspiracy theorist" & "mystics" had been saying all along. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few years in relation to the sun cycles as well as other galactic influences.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This argument is stupid lol I agree that the world's population should not be saddled with another tax, for any reason. However, regardless of what is causing global warming: is it really necessary to treat our planet like a dump?

Does smog cause global warming? Who knows. But either way ITS BAD, and one thing we're sure of is smog is CAUSED BY US.

Why does it sound like a lot of the people who are so adament humans have nothing to do with Global Warming are content for humanity to keep behaving like locusts? Consuming and devouring all the natural resources until all that's left of the Earth is a dead, polluted, rock? Maybe they don't care because they'll be dead by then.

[edit on 12/11/08 by Malynn]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn
This argument is stupid lol I agree that the world's population should not be saddled with another tax, for any reason. However, regardless of what is causing global warming: is it really necessary to treat our planet like a dump?

Does smog cause global warming? Who knows. But either way ITS BAD, and one thing we're sure of is smog is CAUSED BY US.

Why does it sound like a lot of the people who are so adament humans have nothing to do with Global Warming are content for humanity to keep behaving like locusts? Consuming and devouring all the natural resources until all that's left of the Earth is a dead, polluted, rock? Maybe they don't care because they'll be dead by then.

[edit on 12/11/08 by Malynn]

please dont misunderstand, I am as green as anybody. I don't believe we should trash our environment, but should protect it. I grow food, feed and raise animals, compost, recycle, et c.

I do not believe we should cede our freedom and assets to charlatans and thieves who use their position or influence to force an unfounded scam upon the people.

We should do everything we can to contoll the things we can. Think how much time, effort and money has been spent on this that could have been spent on remediation, to support small farmers and other efforts.

GW is a scam. Man cannot raise the temperature any more than he can cool it or make it rain.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Well, no. We now know that this is false and that NASA has corrected the record to reflect that the warmest year in the U.S. was 1934, 4 of the 10 warmest here occurred in the 1930s, 3 during the 1990s, and one each in the 1920s, 1950s and this decade. That this claim has now been debunked, like most every other statement of substance in Mr. Gore’s movie.

The physics is about Global warming. Not U.S. warming! Remember the 70% of the planet which is water?

This "debunks" nothing. All corrections go into continuously updated historical and current climate measurements. There has been NO change in conclusions.

www.realclimate.org...

But it is a perfect example of truthiness, i.e. a sound-good lie designed to make its believers feel smug. Remember, these factoids are intentionally crafted to be deceptive.

This site is called "deny ignorance". The supposed AGW debunkers are reveling in it while they think they're being so cool and rebellious.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
Wow, the ignornace is strong in this thread.

One time I had to prove global warming was real by using only layman's terms. Something simple and completely true. It went like this:

I have a simpler way:

The actual amount of infrared radiation from the upper atmosphere has been increasing, exactly as predicted by the increase in greenhouse gases. This is an observed physical fact, from satellite, balloon, aircraft and ground measurements.

It is physically impossible for the climate to not change.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by mbkennel]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by yenko13
Ok there was an Ice age it started to melt then there was a non ice age and we are in it what is so hard to see that the earth is warming but we aint doing it , It was doing it way before humans were here will till it melts or another ice age comes , and what happened to the ice age that was coming in the 70's did I miss that one

What is happening is this:

1) the circumstances in which the planet used to naturally warm up do not exist today.

2) The planet is now warming much faster than the previous records.

3) The atmosphere has been changed to a state which has not existed in the previous records.

4) There is another Ice Age coming, in about 50,000 years when the orbital dynamics of the system result in lower solar insolation. (extra greenhouse gases will avert much of it). The original theory of the 70's is still correct, but there are superior comptuations now. Prrofessional scientists then didn't get into widespread alarm about imminent cooling in any remote way like current warming. it is compeltely different.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

You don't have to be afraid of warming, just that we've wasted time and money fighting something that doesn't exist when they could've been devoted to a real problem we could do something about.

You have hit the nail on the head there. I am pretty far from a tree hugger, but I do love the outdoors and would like it to always be the way it should be. Burning gas is stupid on so many levels. If this global warming crap had not been brought up, the greenies could have been devoting their time and money to making hydrogen a viable option. If you tell me hydrogen won't work then you are nothing more than an oxygen thief. It just has to be developed cheaper and independantly (IMHO). Al Gore needs to go find manbearpig.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Can any person who knows much about the global warming phenomena answer my question about the permafrost in siberia? wheres melatonin when you need him....

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
In the 70's the scientists said we were in for an Ice Age. Four years ago the scientists all got together and said the peoples pollution has caused global warming. I mean the north pole has shrunk by 60 percent of solid ice since 1985,and greenland is melting slowly but faster every year. Do you think the scientists are right if iceland melts totally the oceans will swallow up most of the land close by the oceans,do you think there predictions that the poles could be without ice by 2025. We did have the hottest recorded all around temperatures on earth two years ago. Are these scientists fools or playing a joke on us. Are they manipulating the sattellite data to show the poles are melting at a very fast rate,much faster than natural weather. Russia went to antartica to plant there flags where there used to be 30 feet of ice and now is slush so they can claim the drilling rights. Look at a sattellite photo of antartica from 1980 to 2008 and anybody with a brain can see its shrunk over 60 percent in 25 years. CO-2 is causing the greenhouse effect,how can anyone say that spewing 100million tons of pollution or more per year doesn't effect our planet,it used to snow 12 inches 2or3 times a year in winter,now in the last 15 years the deepest snow was 5 inches and I live in missouri,the ocean near antartica didn't need ice breakers for shipping in the straight for the first time in history. You people who don't believe whats really happening keep your heads in the sand because if your not smart enough to read sattellite data and keep up on the expeditions to see how much is melting now you never will have the capability to understand the truth.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Oh, yes. There is a concerted effort by the left wing scientists and educators to promote their own point of view on MANY things. Jonathan Grey, at beforeus.com talks about a lot of this, and how archeology finds are buried, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, in a crate, hidden in a huge warehouse. He tells you what and where. And the radio-carbon dating stuff is a huge hoax, too. Many scientists dispute it. You have to assume a huge age, to get a huge age. If you assume a short age, you get a short result. That, combined with petrified with people wearing shoes, human footprints in dinasaur tracks-in mud, and you have a totally different conclusion from what they are feeding us. History is a secret! You are too dumb to understand it! It's just an anomaly! Professing themselves wise, they became fools...
That site sells his book, but I have never bought it, I just read his emails and learn a lot.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Los Angeles has always been smoggy. It was worse when the Spanish explorers first laid eyes on it.

The terrain helps create an inversion layer.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
There is also a conjecture that our twin star is coming into this side of the galaxy again, and it is causing the sun to stop its sunspots, lowering the magnetic protective field around us, and causing massive problems, such as weather and events like earthquakes, due to its' gravity affecting us. Some say it is also/ or instead, our alignment with a bunch of other cosmic gravity fields that normally produce a negligible effect, but all combined add up to trouble. Planet X/Nibiru is supposedly in orbit around this star, Nemesis. Some claim that it is inhabited by the Annachim, or fallen angels/demons. That is what is said. I am no astronomer, and I have yet to see this dim star, but it is supposed to appear by the sun soon, as it has been incoming from the opposite side of the sun. This could all well be looney, but it is prophesied in the Bible, and it's ensueing destruction from drought, storms, incoming solar debris trailed in its' wake, and the huge increase in weather problems we are witnessing now. And it also seems like people are going the extra mile to be bad, really bad. That was also foretold. Me, I'm lookin for the two prophets...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Kudos to you for this post , yes it has been run into the dirt but it is now becoming an active threat again to consumer costs . The new admin in the states is drudging it into a major issue once again . A: The world is a constant changing environment . Just does it on its own schedule. B: does anyone remember the meteor that struck one of the outer planets in the solar system that tilted the earth due to a shockwave from the impact ? hmmmm ice cap started to shift ? C: are we so forgetful that we forgot the other weather related doom hammer ? The new Ice age we where beseiged with in the 70s?
This is just a way for the powers that be to make more money and gain better control over the populace through fear.
Pay the scientists to say the sky is falling and we would get tons of them jumping on the Bandwagon with theoretic proof that is based on pretty much cow droppings.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join