It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we boycott gay businesses?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Even though this is an old thread, I HAD to make this my first post on ATS.

Anyone remember one Ms Anita Bryant who took it upon herself to rid the world of all the terrible homosexuals in the name of God?? I do. I was 18 and closeted. I am now 52...you do the math. I hold a deep sense of gratitude for her brave attempt to carry on the "good fight". Her actions prompted me to come out of the closet at the onset of my adult life thereby avoiding much unecessary heartache that self deceit brings to the human condition.

Back to the subject. Ms Bryant was, at that time, the spokes person for the Florida Orange Growers Association, prompting a national boycott on orange juice by my proud people. A screwdriver (cocktail) couldn't be purchased in any gay bar in the country for any amount of money.....and what great pride it instilled when she was dropped by her employer like a rotten orange in the field. Today, I still don't drink OJ.

Anyone remember 80's Coor's Beer spokeperson Mark Harmon? He made the same mistake of making publicly denouncing homosexuals. His product immediately littered the streets in front of gay bars. CANNED..like the beer he sold. (sold, as in past tense)...Yes, Mr Harmon has now returned to us in the form of a sex idol once again....but you won't hear him utter homophobic remarks today.

Phillip-Morris, along with others have felt the pain of decreased profit margins due to their gay hating associates, and took appropriate measures to ensure their bottom line remained huge. It called green power.

I am proud to be a gay man whose people take care of themselves regardless of the adversity society inflicts on us...it only makes us stronger...so I, too, challenge anyone to boycott us....but you will be pay through the purse..( your Vera Wang purse will become a Wall Mart purse)

On a side point....I would wager that if every gay man and woman failed to show up for work on the same day...just one day..., the economic upheavel would reverberate around the world, from Wall Street to Main Street...but that's just my opinion.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by dustydigits]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
[edit on 28-6-2010 by KingDoey]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
In my humble opinion, boycotting gay businesses would be a number one stupid move. Most gay businesses are service oriented and not a big corporation out to screw you over.
When does the hatred end? What kind of threat will it take for humanity to band together? Wars, government lies and corruption, everyday freedoms being taken away..... threats of toxic pollution,incoming astroids, solar flairs, global warming, poverty , diseases, plagues,religion, ect .....hasnt done the job of banding humanity together so what will it take.?????? Perhaps its time for the creator to just flush the toilet on everything.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Didn't even need to read the whole thread to see where it was going...what a joke.

Jim, you forgot the one big thing in this...they are a minority, therefore they are right.

Doesn't matter that they use tactics, if used by a majority member, that would be hated on by every group under the sun.

Just goes to show how far down the hypocritical, bull# road the masses have traveled.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It doesn't matter if your gay, straight, black, white, foreign, male, female etc, etc, etc..

There are ignorant people born every day who will integrate into every section of society in every part of the world.

If you wanna boycott anything then deny ignorance.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Just read the OP (not too much else yet, sorry).
From my South African position it's a bit hard to understand.
I feel very sorry that some Mormon and gay activists have strong disagreements.
Here, I've had two very close Mormon friends. I always felt we bonded as mutual outsiders, since mainstream Christianity described both the gays and Mormons as deceived and unwitting "Satanists".
At least where Mormons are a minority, they get a lot of discimination too, and neither our Calvinistic or Evangelical mainstreams regard them as bona-fide "Christians".
At least as far as being misunderstood goes, I always thought gays and Mormons shared common ground.

In SA we had lots of boycotts, but ultimately they don't work.
The problem with boycotting activists is that they usually don't work in the mainstream market, and since there is probably hardly an exclusively "gay" business, you'd probably be harming a lot of heterosexuals.

What scares me more is that there is a general disatisfaction with the media - and this disatisfaction is blamed on the gays.
I feel quite marginalized by the US media, especialy Fox News, and largely heterosexist reality programs like The Kardashians, the Playboy Mansion and Paris Hilton.
That kind of frivilous, sexist entertainment is the fault of the gays?
Meanwhile, it is all meant to turn straight men on.

It's one thing to say we love the Mormons (to the point of boycotting for them - and we will also boycott fundamentalist churches who trash their Book of Mormon and defend them in a consistant way, and not just when it's a hypocritical slap on the face of self-styled gay-marriage activists), it's quite another to use the gays and Mormons for selective purposes.
To boycott selectively for minorities that one is not affiliated to is opportunism.
Actually it's just revealing some major prejudices. Anyone who really felt for the gays or the Mormons would have been more historically apologetic and contextualized.

Perhaps a third party is always happy when two enemies squabble - but they are no friend of either.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If we boycott any business based on it's sexual orientation, it should be BP.
I don't know if BP is gay, but I think we should boycott it, as it's sexuality is what we should be concerned over... You know, BP is screwing everyone, man or woman.

Also, on a serious note, what are some of you thinking? The economy is in the toilet and you want to run someone out of business because you don't like something they do, or because you don't like the demographic that they cater to. Real smart.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I have never boycotted a gay business and will not be doing so in the future. I know of some very nice stores and businesses owned by gays, they are courteous, professional and I like doing business with them.

Now BP on the other hand is a different issue - I am boycotting them!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Any warring against Gays is already lost - the powers that be are obsessed with everyone fighting for gay rights.

They have proven their ability to form a fraternity / comradship, and we are so unaware that this is not the case amongst our potential geopolitical enemies: Islam, China and Russia.

Methinks this is not just a coincidence. There are no Gay parades in China, Russia or Islam...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
reply to post by blupblup

Well, I think it is ridiculous for the gays to be boycotting and harassing and namecalling anyone, too. They started it.

Did you stick out your tongue aswell after that post?
Did you run off to your teacher to tell on "them" ?

Seriously , i had some things to say after reading your comments but right after reading the one i just quoted i realised i may as well talk to my 3 year old niece since she makes a lot more sense.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dustydigits
I would wager that if every gay man and woman failed to show up for work on the same day...just one day..., the economic upheavel would reverberate around the world, from Wall Street to Main Street...

Actually - the wars would come to an end

The quantity of Gay Government ministers perpetuating the wars in (homophobic) Islamic countries is outrageously high.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
As a excommunicated Mormon turned Deist lets boycott the Mormons.

There is separation of church and state written into the constitution that covers this.

Where do the Mormons in Utah and the rest of the US get the right to make laws in Calif. 95% of the money against prop 8 came from outside Calif.

Its for the people in Calif to vote in there own laws without interference from any religious groups in other states.

This also goes for corporations in other states spending millions to sway the vote in calif.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

See, this is where I don't get it. It's ok for the gays to go after other businesses but it's not ok to go after gay businesses? When you use the same exact tactics that are used by the gays, it is like being a Nazi or something. Aren't the gays being the Nazis by going after the Mormons?

Is it okay for you to sit back and let people oppress and hate you, maybe hurt or try to kill you?

Is it okay for the Jews to just sit back and do nothing while the Nazis oppress and kill them arbitrarily?

Don't forget, women, children, and old folks are ahead of you in line here. They have been around and been mistreated since time out of mind.

Who gets to cut ahead of them? and why? Without the most vulnerable ones getting protected AT LAST, why go on to other groups?

First come first served. I think women were probably getting beaten, along with kids, before anyone else got discriminated against.

Debunk that. I'd love to see the foster care system get the attention and funding that benevolent seekers of social change bestow.

Then widows, vets, teachers, then whoever else. We have to have women, children, old folks, vets, teachers. Without them, there will be nothing to protest anyway.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
OMG is this thread still going???

I thought I was having a dejavu moment.

I am starting to think that homophobic threads never die...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Right on!

Gay people have had it way too easy for way too long now.

It is about time you do something to opress them before they do it to all us poor straight people!

S + F for you!

Where were you when tyrants like Mathew Sheppard were ruling the world?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Let it go stop bashing gay people,there not the problem you are.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The length of this thread proves that by scapegoating the gays of California, the Mormons were able (with just a few million tax-deductable dollars) to purchase a legitimacy amongst mainstream religions that had long eluded them. Apparently money well spent.

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join