It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Coral Castle

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   

The Mysterious Coral Castle

www.environmentalgraffiti.com

In the city of Homestead, Florida sits a strange stone structure created by eccentric Edward Leedskalnin. No one really knows why it was built or how, but considering each of the megalithic coral stones weigh more than most men could move alone, the emergence of the Coral Castle remains an impressive mystery.

Edward never allowed anyone to witness the building of Coral Castle. A suspicious and private man, he worked at night by lantern, behind large walls he constructed. Reports from neighbors claim he levitated the blocks, some weighing 30 tons, twice the weight of the largest blocks in the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Teenagers living in the area claimed they saw him one night, “singing to the massive stone, and it moved like it was a hydrogen balloon, easily settling into place.” By his own account, Edward claimed, “I have discovered the secrets of the pyramids, and have found out how the Egyptians and the ancient builders of Peru, Yucatan, and Asia, with only primitive tools, raised and set in place blocks of stone weighing many tons.”

Coral Castle was moved to Homestead, Florida in 1936 by Edward, again on his own. According to one theory, Edward moved the castle because he had made a mathematical error in the position and wasn’t able to harness enough magnetic energy in the original site to complete the structure. These theorists believe he was successful in decoding the Earth’s magnetic energies, and thus was able to magnetize the stone making it possible for a lone person to lift and move tons of weight with only a tripod and pulleys.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I visited this place back in the 70's and it is very strange but I first read about it in "Ripley's Believe it or Not" when I was a teenager.

It is most odd.

It is reported that no one ever actually saw him build the thing yet it is comprised of coral blocks up to 30 tonnes in weight.

Apparently Edward Leedskalnin moved it from its original location in Florida city to Homestead a distance of 10 miles... and still no one ever saw him do it.

From the wikipedia article:
Coral Castle

The grounds of Coral Castle consist of 1,100 tons of stones found in the forms of walls, carvings, furniture and a castle tower. While commonly referred to as being made up of coral, it is actually made of oolite, also known as oolitic limestone. Oolite is a sedimentary rock composed of small spherical grains of concentrically layered carbonate that may include localized concentrations of fossil shells and coral. Oolite is found throughout southeastern Florida from as north as Palm Beach County to as south as the Florida Keys. Oolite is often found beneath only several inches of topsoil such as at the Coral Castle site.

The stones are fastened together without any mortar. They are simply set on top of each other using their immense weight to keep them together. However, the craftsmanship detail is so skillful that the stones are connected with such precision that no light passes between the seams. The eight foot tall vertical stones that make up the perimeter wall have a uniform height. Even with the passage of decades and a direct hit on August 24, 1992 by the Category 5 Hurricane Andrew, which leveled everything in the area, the stones have not shifted.

Like I said... most odd.

www.environmentalgraffiti.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-11-2008 by grover]

====
Mod Edit: Cite and 'ex' tags added.

[edit on 11/14/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Oh did I mention he had tuberculosis from before he started building the castle... was a small man a little over 100 pounds and malnourished when he died?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Interesting story, but I'm not buying it.

It all seems just a little too mysterious and vague to me. I can see why people would want to believe it, but I see no reason to believe he used anything other than modern technology to build this place.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Modern technology would mean large cranes and such - exactly what WASN'T used according to people who lived in the area and tried to sneak a peek into what he was doing.

One thing I remember reading about his methods was that he stated "he'd found the techniques used by the ancient Egyptians to build the pyramids" and that it's also so easy, it's practically right in front of our nose.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I am highly skeptical of the occult claims myself... I am far to critical to accept them carte blanc still the question remains how did a 100 pound man with tuberculosis do it all by himself... which by all accounts he did.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I have seen the stories about this place and I would certainly love to visit. The story is amazing and there are enough personal accounts from area residents to add to the mystery of how he actually built it. The man clearly had some amazing masonry skills. Much like the ancient Peruvians who built stone walls with no mortar and joints tight that you can't pass paper between them.

I am sure he probably used basic A-frame structures, tri pods and block and tackle to move the stones around. Nonetheless, an amazing feat for an old frail man.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The story reminds me of this older man who showed how moving Stonehenge-sized stones single handedly using simple tools is possible and not terribly difficult. Sorry to kill any mystery but mundane means are not impossible. lol Impressive for sure, though.

[edit on 11/14/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Apparently he magnetized the stones, using copper and a battery or something. He had written a do-it-yourself paper.
I heard from some web site, that he may've used certain frequencies by singing to manipulate them into place.
I saw a WeirdUSA show when they went there. Where the castle sits was on a ley-line or something, tapping the earth's magnetic energy, (Apparently the ley-line moved?)

The guys from the show demonstrated how that if one of the turning stones was faced at you, or away, you would become VERY PHYSICALLY STRONG!

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That's a great way to move them!
What I'd like to know is why he had the moon, crescents and other stuff in that garden.
I actually think they are UGLY.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I'm guessing he had the moons and stars to lend some shred of credibility to his supernatural construction story.

Of course he wants it to seem like he has some sort of "alien" knowledge or something.

I just don't buy any of this.

Although I'd love to be proven wrong.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Here's a website about Mr. Leedskalnin and electric current;
Coral castle

Here's the book he wrote, Magnetic Current, with instructions;
Magnetic Current, Ed Leedskalnin 1945
I haven't tried the experiment, but, I have a 3 pound ceramic magnet that I use to magnetize drinking water and it's good against pain.
Nothing para-normal, just alignment of molecules, and improvement in cell efficiency.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I have to admit, this is one of my favorite legends. If true, he harnessed a power, which no one correctly replicates. While no one even heard of this place other than locally, until it was finished, it was clear that he did not use heavy machinery.

In fact, he was routinely visited by locals during construction, but never once was actually 'seen' doing the work. Odd indeed.

There may be those disinclined to believe that the construction could have been done as is claimed, but the truth is, there is no other explanation forthcoming.

Recently someone studied his meager notes and symbols and cryptic messages built into the structure itself and was able to draw a strong correlation between them and many symbolic masonic artworks. The notion proposed was that even the modern masons have not realized the true nature or applicability of the 'secrets' they have embedded in their symbolic teachings. Interesting, odd, and somewhat weirdly consistent with the mystique surrounding the accomplishment.

Google Video Link

Enjoy.

MM

[edit on 14-11-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hi
I went there 4 years ago it is a very cool place.When I was there I must of spent three looking and checking out every stone,I swear you can feel some sort of energy force my wife started to devlope a major headache after the first hour,soon after that she went to the car feeling sick.I felt bad about her but I could not leave because of the awe of the castle.I do rember seeing a strange like symbol in a doorway dont know what it ment it was diffrent though.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
The story reminds me of this older man who showed how moving Stonehenge-sized stones single handedly using simple tools is possible and not terribly difficult. Sorry to kill any mystery but mundane means are not impossible. lol Impressive for sure, though.

[edit on 11/14/2008 by AshleyD]

This is an amazing find Ashley, and could be the very way that Coral Castle was made. I have an old episode of In Search Of about CC and it has always fascinated me...................Thanks for your video, it explains a lot.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I don't think that the method shown in the video would be practical for moving an entire castle 10 miles.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I have to admit, this is one of my favorite legends. If true, he harnessed a power, which no one correctly replicates. While no one even heard of this place other than locally, until it was finished, it was clear that he did not use heavy machinery.

In fact, he was routines visited by locals during construction, but never once was actually 'seen' doing the work. Odd indeed.

There may be those disinclined to believe that the construction could have been done as is claimed, but the truth is, there is no other explanation forthcoming.

Recently someone studied his meager notes and symbols and cryptic messages built into the structure itself and was able to draw a strong correlation between them and many symbolic masonic artworks. The notion proposed was that even the modern masons have not realized the true nature or applicability of the 'secrets' they have embedded in their symbolic teachings. Interesting, odd, and somewhat weirdly consistent with the mystique surrounding the accomplishment.

Google Video Link

Enjoy.

MM

Max between you and Ashley, we should have the answer to this story no doubt........Man that was very deep stuff indeed, I had to keep my brain active to keep up..
........Very amazing,Thanks.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by rikk7111]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Google Video Link

[edit on 14-11-2008 by Maxmars]

Are there any Masons out there that can verify the claims in this video? It is a truly spectacular analysis of the whole thing and I'd be very interested to find out how much if any of this is true.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Interesting story, but I'm not buying it.

It all seems just a little too mysterious and vague to me. I can see why people would want to believe it, but I see no reason to believe he used anything other than modern technology to build this place.

Funny

This was a mystery way back in the 70's when there was no modern technology not as we know it today and even the heavy earth moving equipment of that era would have major issues

by the way he had none of that and was pretty broke when he died so how did he pay for this modern technology that did not exist back then?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Of course he wants it to seem like he has some sort of "alien" knowledge or something.

Thats even funnier

He avoided the press and media of the day and hardly anybody knew what he was doing he was a hermit kept to himself most of the time

He NEVER mentioned Aliens or anything along those lines that came later from statements like yours

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join