It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

32 people killed every single day

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

Your intent is well founded, your logic is not. Homeowners legally owning firearms and protecting themselves from illegally obtained firearms from criminals desperate enough to attempt strong armed robbery of another's residence. Those criminals will be able to obtain weapons, no matter how you go about banning the sale/possession of firearms. It is illegal to break into another's home, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

You also say you are concerned about guns because it is something that can be prevented. Vehicle deaths can be prevented, ban cars/motorized vehicles. Funny no one is jumping on that bandwagon even though it would save MANY times the amount of people than a ban on firearms would.

People jump on the 'ban firearms' bandwagon because to them it symbolizes violence, hatred, irresponsibility and disdain for human life (or life in general). You forget before the gun people were being killed by arrows. I wonder how many petitions and protests there were back in medieval times to ban the sale/possession of bows and arrows? I would bet none.

I am also going to go out on a limb and guess you live in the city, where legal avenues to shooting are limited to home defense or shooting ranges. But those who live in the country may depend on a firearm for their safety or food. Yes, many people do still hunt. Imagine a farmer out repairing a fence in the field, or going to milk a cow one morning and is confronted by a wild animal. Many lives have also been SAVED by the possession of a firearm. You won't find statistics on that number though, it just isn't popular.

How many people a day are killed by knives, by baseball bats, by poison, by any other number of weapons? Why not ban the sale of those things too? The more things we rely on the government to regulate and ban, the less freedom we will have. Regulation isn't the problem, EDUCATION is. No matter what gets banned or severely restricted, people will find a way to kill each other. It's sad, it 'shouldn't' be that way, but it is and has been since the beginning of time (and always will be).

There was just something in the news (on Sky news) about how knife related assualts and deaths are on the rise in the UK. UK also does not allow it citizens to ownhandguns. Not only that, but 2 years after the ban of handguns in the UK, violent crimes involving handguns went up 40% [link]. So the ban did not accomplish the intended effect.

I think ultimately, banning firearms is putting a band-aid on a wound requiring stitches. The root problem isn't the ownership of firearms, its the people who own them. As the saying goes, 'guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Overall, it is a person's choice to load a gun, pull it out, and then shoot somebody. You can't blame the gun, it is a tool like any other that may be used for good OR evil.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You're crumbling again. I havent once mention defense or fearing for my life as a reason to own a gun.

You're getting pissed because you have no ground to stand on outside of you're own self-righteous opinion and a desire to inflict upon the rest of the world. Are you a politician by chance?

link   
32 murders a day isn't really that bad compared to....

1,205 per day from smoking

link

100 per day in Iraq

link

there are more but i have to head to class. 32 is a low number in comparison to AIDS, Cancer, etc...

link   

Originally posted by calihan123
Wow. Obviously NONE of you understood the thread in the first place.

Im simply saying, too many people in this country have guns. They dont effing need one. Unless you are using it for sport or for your damn job, dont have one.

It only corrects everything i was saying, because all of you are getting so damn defensive about guns. You are so reliable on a tool that is used for the sole purpose to kill someone... it amazes me. Every single person said they want a gun.

A car can drive you.

A knife can cut your food.

A gun is only used to kill. Why DO YOU HAVE ONE

End of my discussion.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by calihan123]

So if I am not a hunter or a cop then a criminal is going to leave me alone? Criminals don't follow laws, hence why they are criminals. If you wish to live your life a potential victim (the criminals are not stupid, if they know you are armed they will be less likely to attack) then more power to you for being that willing to stand up for your convictions. I personally do not want to become a statistic of some two bit crackhead who thinks breaking into houses and shooting people is fun(they exist trust me on that one) so why should your want to be a victim overshadow my RIGHT, that's right, Constitutionally protected right, to not be victim, to not have to rely on hunters or cops because they are NEVER there when you need them. Your right to be a victim is not as important to ANYONE as our right to not be a victim of crime or tyrannical government. You want to disarm the people? Worked real great in Germany during the 30's didn't it?

If you want full control over the people and what rights you THINK they should have, then go ahead, take away the one right that PROTECTS all the other rights. Learn your history and learn what statistics are pure BS propoganda before spouting off your nonesense here.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

ok im getting pissed. everyone acts like smoeone is constantly breaking in to your home or trying to rape you.

As long as it is a woman, I don't think I would classify it as rape.

Seriously, not everybody lives in a nice posh crime safe neighborhood.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
why do you need a gun to protect yourself?

no one has mentioned once pepper spray (which actually can do a lot of help) , no one has mentioned taking self defense classes. I mean these are the things you should use and know instead of having a gun.

A gun isnt always going to solve your problems and if you think it will, your far from right

when i was young a man broke into our house and you know what my brother did? broke his ribs with a baseball bat. and he was only 10 years old. if a 10 year old can think logically and still do damage... i think you all should be able to as well

but we didnt have guns in our home because there were 5 children and thats a very dangerous thing to have in a household, especially with kids.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

ok im getting pissed. everyone acts like smoeone is constantly breaking in to your home or trying to rape you.

As long as it is a woman, I don't think I would classify it as rape.

Seriously, not everybody lives in a nice posh crime safe neighborhood.

and your saying i do? i live in los angeles... do you know how much crime is here?

link   
Look, you can kill anyone anytime with almost anything...
why are you against the one thing that is keeping all of us alive...
GUNS.... cuz, without them - well Sig Hiel and the govt is the biggiest murder on planet earth government around the world murder more people than all natural causes combined... lets out law governments.

link   
Look, you can kill anyone anytime with almost anything...
why are you against the one thing that is keeping all of us alive...
GUNS.... cuz, without them - well Sig Hiel and the govt is the biggiest murder on planet earth government around the world murder more people than all natural causes combined... lets out law governments.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

we arent constantly being robbed, or chased after by thugs

why does everyone keep making this defense of "we need a gun for protection" when those things dont happen to most people every day.

and if it did im not sure a gun would do you much good if your sleeping and someone breaks in and you dont wake up.

or if someone robs you on the street... what so you are going to carry a gun in your purse at all times? how about just carry some pepper spray. theres an idea.

So now you are pissed, and by allowing all of us to piss you off without at least attempting to unerstand our side of things, you have lost the debate. Every day people break into homes and rob people. so yes, this does happen everyday. That's one theory shot down.

Do you know what happens when you meet a pissed off person wanting to do you harm and you shoot them in the face with mace? Doesn't always work. I have known many many instances where all it does is make them angrier.

Again I m all for proper gun EDUCATION but not taking away all gun rights period. That is treason to the way this country was founded and the laws put in place to protect the people. There is a good chance in our lifetime that we will have to repel a tyrannical government bent on taking our freedoms. It has started with bush, and may very well get worse. Take away our way of fighting that government, and you have enslaved yourself. Don't be foolish enough to gladly hand over liberty thinking that it will give you safety. The ones that would do you harm will never have a problem getting a gun, why should you?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So spraying a person in the face with mase isnt ok because it will piss them off... but shooting them in the face isnt a problem?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

It's time to end your argument, let the people have their freedom or put it to a demographic poll.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

and your saying i do? i live in los angeles... do you know how much crime is here?

No, not you. Just a general statement. We have a place here that is very influential and nice. You should see how good the cops patrol that area. They patrol it as if it was there own. Any signs of trouble in this neighbor and the cops are there in a heartbeat. Any trouble in my neighbor and your lucky if the cops are there in 20 or 30 minutes.

I see where your coming from and I respect what you say but I believe that a law abiding person is entitled to a gun. Just like a woman has a right to abortion, I want my right to possess a gun.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

So spraying a person in the face with mase isnt ok because it will piss them off... but shooting them in the face isnt a problem?

No spraying them in the face is not gonna stop someone is my point. When I say it only makes them madder, I mean it doesn't stop them. Rage makes people stronger.

By the way, mace, a bat, or self defence is not gonna save you when a piece of lead is flying at you at supersonic speeds. Maybe if we lived in the matrix, but not in the real world. Then again you are from the state of Kalifornia, where anyhting that involves standing up for yourself or keeping your rights is a big no no, so your argument makes sense now.

[edit on 11/6/2008 by Finn1916]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Is the same Chris White who does LOST video podcasts
?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
well. thats fine. i never said people should have their rights taken away from them.

i just dont see the point of having a gun, and i AM very logical. But it doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

If someone were to break into my home, id rather get a glass vase and break it over his head and then kick him in the face, instead of having a gun and simply killing him.

i wouldnt want to be responsible for another person's death.. no matter what they were trying to do.

i respect everyone else's opionions but for once i would like them to respect mine and see where i might be coming from.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

LOL .... and LOL.... and LOL some more. I, for one, thank you for that comment. It's nice when people derail their anti-gun sentiments with their own naive platitudes.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Even then the bus is not always an option. I figured out the bus route and it would take 2.5 hours to go 15 miles. No thanks.

Not every city has a great transportation system.

But people can still reduce.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Even then the bus is not always an option. I figured out the bus route and it would take 2.5 hours to go 15 miles. No thanks.

Not every city has a great transportation system.

But people can still reduce.

?

where was this coming from?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
los angeles has one of the worst transportation systems ive ever seen in my life. to go 15 minutes away from me, it takes 2 hours on a bus and about 6 different bus switches.

i should know, i dont drive.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join