It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS protecting our privacy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
It is a question that has been dancing in my mind lately.
I noticed too many threads of people claiming to have been harassed by the govt or similar happenings.
I first didnt take this too seriously but such threads appear too often. I am sure than most are just disillusion but what if just one case is true?
Does ATS allow agencies to inspect their database, have access to IPs and such?
I hope I can get an answer from the owners because it is worrying really. ATS ought to protect our anonymity and privacy.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Ive heard people question ATS but heres the deal. They can just reroute the traffic to ATS through one of their nodes and log everything. They dont need ATS to help them with that. And I have been followed myself once and had a van sit outside my house for two weeks. I wrote an indepth post over it awhile back. On one of the threads youre mentioning.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Perhaps this will help: Privacy Policy (TRUSTe)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The new monitoring techniques used by the government don't need an IP... They actually can intercept and harness data packets "in the wild".

I've wondered about ATS as well, and this thread will most likely get closed and you will be pointed to a thread they have posted in the past.

The only thing I've wondered about though, is why is it against the rules to use anonymous proxies to log onto ATS?

I got a brief wrist slap when I talked about how to do it... and they stated they don't encourage that behavior...

There have been theories in the past, which I won't discuss here, that you can find by doing a quick google search....

basically my best advice to you is to remember this is the internet... act accordingly

anyway... this will be closed by a mod soon... and you'll be sent to the other thread

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Let us not forget that this is a forum based on free speech and seeking of truth. It is free to probe anonymously or to freely sign up and interact with. That very same freedom applies to government agencies around the world that would like to spy on the people that post here.

Freedom is not a one way street. It must either apply to all, or apply to none.

Let them spy. Let them post in attempts to debunk. Let them sign up and attempt false flags. Let them be as free here as we are.

The mods and owners are diligent in their efforts to mask everyone from everyone. However, all forums can be hacked, cracked and hijacked by the right people. If it happens here, then so be it.

Choose the lesser of two evils...

1. freedom to speak your mind with the perhaps that you might be found out in real life and monitored by the shadow government that we currently live under;

2. censorship across the board in the futile attempt to limit opinion on this forum out of fear of being foung out as a conspirator.

I would rather be arrested, locked up or die for my given rights and the rights of others than to see them parish. I have been a soldier. I have been to war. I have long ago made the determination that the freedoms and rights of every man, woman and child are more important than my single life.

Record me. Track me down. Arrest me. Beat me. Kill me. I will not deny freedom or stop fighting ignorance...not until the last drop of blood and last belch of air leaves my body. I put faith in those that are ATS to support and back that ideal.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

actually, Surfing in on anonymous proxies is actually forbidden in here...

Trust me, I got in trouble once :p

2a.) Identity Spoofing: You will not impersonate any person or entity, forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any posting.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Not allowing proxies but allowing anonymous posters??? Whats the reason behind it?
It seems that they are confident that they can catch anon but with proxies being around the world must be much harder.

I know ATS is about free speech but its not mentioned anywhere that you are not subject to investigation and harassment from forces outside of ATS.
I am enclined to think that ATS have some "deals" with the govt or even insiders.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle

I am enclined to think that ATS have some "deals" with the govt or even insiders.

that's a strong statement you make there.

I dont believe this, if ATS really would give away the identity of their posters then i dont think ATS will still exist in the future when it all comes out.

I just dont believe it, i think it's a coincedence

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

The owners of the site have refuted that claim many times, however, to a conspiracy theorist.... it gets translated as more misinformation lol

The best advice I can give is to do a google search... look at other conspiracy forum's opinions of ATS... balance that against what you believe ATS is... and form your own opinion...

then, after you have your opinion, don't express it too much on here

They don't like posts that are critical of the site

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I am not accusing ATs of anything, I just think it is a possibility. I'd guess site owners have been contacted by the govt, they take "terrorist" threats seriously. They even want to monitor games like world of warcraft!
The only advice I can give is that , if you have some truly incredible scoop that can put your life in danger, then be careful how and where you speak about it!

I want to trust ATS, I really love this site but with all the stories we are seeing it leaves me with doubts.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   

To TheOracle:

You said:

"I know ATS is about free speech but its not mentioned anywhere that you are not subject to investigation and harassment from forces outside of ATS."

Freedom of speech does not exist on ATS. We need to get that straight.

They regulate what can be said here, and by that virtue, Freedom of Speech goes right out the window.

As to their refusing to allow anonymous access via anonymous proxy, that just reinforces the loss of Freedom of Speech. You have more anonymity if you write to your congressman, or the editor of a newspaper than if you post here.

Watch as this post gets deleted. It's true that they don't like anyone revealing this info, or talking about this info. It's dumb-founding to say the least.

EyesII

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I wouldn't much worry about it...

Unless your actually up to something, seriously, accidents happen and peoples words could be taken as a need to keep an eye on you, but if your not actually up to no good, probably nothing would ever come of it, in the end on the Govt end, there are guys doing their jobs... and want to get Bad Guys

I somehow, even though I talk way to much, anything much is to be said of me...

I bet my papers read: Simply up top after sorting through details

Patriot, Rebellious, Underachiever, Lacks Motivation, Humorous, Over Active Imagination, Intelligent but prone to flights of fancy, Disorganized, no negative affiliations, Parties too much, Emotional

Something to that effect and then, an agent analysis which says I'm basically harmless and could be a good citizen but unreliable at the moment and lacks direction...

In other words... I bet the analysts can nail your personality in most cases to a T

and if your not about to go do something stupid or loosing your grasp on reality, i wouldn't worry about it

I dunno, I just haven't seen evidence as of yet and aside from if I take Some peoples words at face value... some mistakes, that the patriot act or the rest is actually being used against the American people in any serious fashion other than to determine, genuine threats to homeland security

and I think most of us fall into

The Bright Underachiever, Over imaginative Patriot realm of things when looked at in depth....

and only, if you show yourself to be... Highly Over reactive to concepts you don't have any true answers to, would you get yourself under the thumb for long

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
And of course... being paranoid would get you labeled as paranoid.

To a degree, paranoia is healthy, a bit of paranoia is called weighing the options and I like to try and harness that, to Think allot about what could be, scenario planning, it's useful in life

So, Think about what could be, in regards to this subject

But don't worry at the end of your day, your either a threat or your not...

doubt anyone hasn't already looked you over, classified you and filed you away...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

The PTB don't especially care if you don't believe their spin... They don't care if you expose all their lies on a website... If it hits a nerve, they'll just discredit you if you gather media attention...

What they care about are people who are motivated to act. As long as they don't see you as a potential revolutionary... you'll be fine

They might watch you, but you won't disappear

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Not again... jeez.

Look. Its like this. I'm a normal guy who volunteers my time here. The other mods and admins are normal people who volunteer their time here. Simon, Bill and Mark are normal people who came up with the site idea and promoted it to what it is today.

If - god forbid - there ever was some kind of crackdown/NWO we - as the people who actually volunteer to be a part of the ATS staff - would probably be the first taken away and shot. Think about it.

As for the other question - this is the internet. If you are familiar with Echelon (and you should be) then you should know that the various world governments SIGINT units and monitors can more or less hear/read whatever they want to on the net regardless of the need for co-operation.

With regards to your identity - you signed up with an ISP.
You gave that ISP your name, address and contact details. They issue your IP address, not ATS.

Unless you are porting off someones open wireless frequency, the various authorities already know who you are anyway. If you want to be "below the radar" and "untraceable" in the real world, probably the only way you can do it is not to bother with the net at all.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I question your assertion that you guys are "normal"

I've seen the mods post before... didn't seem so normal to me

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by nj2day
I question your assertion that you guys are "normal"

I've seen the mods post before... didn't seem so normal to me

Well, OK. "Normal" is subjective and a matter of opinion

How does "mostly normal" sound?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

LOL I still question "mostly"

anyway, starred... I should do a search and see if anyone has posted about the government snatching packets from "the wild"... they don't even need IP to monitor anymore...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think ATS is a fair and balanced site,only time a post will be removed if it is deemed offensive,and as far as worrying about your privacy being protected don't do anything against the law,why should a website be any exception to the rule IMO

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
this is one of the biggest conspirecy sites...don't you think they would have someone monitoring it? SO wouldn't even know it. i'm an old machine code computer rat, and i know if you type it on the net, someone, someone, will be able to read it if they want to. these software packages and security programs, all have backdoors to them, built in to the very data bytes needed to run them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join