It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS protecting our privacy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
With utmost respect and esteem for the ATS owner, staff, and crew, all they can do is conduct their business normally. The government does not need their cooperation to determine who is who on the internet. As a matter of fact, I am awaiting the day when an ambitious poster reveals that the entire notion of 'anonymous' on the internet is relative. The government has a long-term involvement in the ISO specifications, and the nuts and bolts of 'encryption' and internet traffic management.

The government has coordinated with CISCO, Microsoft, and many others to secure their 'back doors' into ANYTHING they want to see.

ATS couldn't stop them if they tried.

Neither can anyone else.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well currently there are ways to remain anonymous and expect privacy... however, you have to know what your doing to do that...

now, anonymity is different than privacy. currently the gov can catch what are called "packets" (essentially raw data while it is being moved across the internet). They can monitor and decipher what is going where, and where it is coming from.

You can stop them from identifying your computer through various methods I won't go into here (possible T&C if i did).

See how I said Currently? well, that will most likely change soon... The government is getting more and more successful at doing business via MAC address... The MAC is pretty much the serial number on your network card. Your ISP knows your MAC address... once they can harness MAC addresses for internet traffic, there will be no hiding. it will be a simple matter of a search function.

Soon, the days of the IP will be over... Security companies are already trying to make security programs rely more on your specific MAC address as a means of securing your information.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

I hear ya buddy, but please note that the MAC address does not tell you WHERE the internet device is located. (The outside IP address tells them where.) However, I'm sure that through triangulation or through ISP router access they (the gov’t) can determine where you are physically on the planet; or at least on the network while you are plugged into the internet.

For a laptop that keeps moving from one access point to another, I think it is traceable after-the-fact, but not able to be tracked in real-time. Unless the laptop stays in one place for a long time.

One thing of interest is that most routers, firewalls or internet appliances CAN CLONE MAC addresses. Create a whole bunch of cloned MAC address appliances and place them on the internet, then it becomes difficult to determine which one is the live one. I'm not saying this is fool-proof, but it's worth some investigating (which I have not done.) This will also lead to problems with the ISP as when they try to “talk” to your device, more than device one will respond. It is not the preferred method. Your ISP may get mad at you for screwing up their network.

When the RIAA sues people, they use the MAC address to nail you down. The outside IP address determines the location (street address, apt number), but the MAC determines which PC is being used. Most of the time, DHCP is active on the router/firewall so that all Internal IP addresses are close to 192.168.1.1 or a similar variant. The last number may change for your network segment, but the 1st 3 numbers will not. The MAC address is like the social security number for the device you have been authorized to use and it will not change like your IP dynamic IP address does. The MAC address is hard coded into the internet device.

What may work is cloning the MAC address of say a Cable TV DVR onto your PC or router so when it's traced back they come up with a DVR committing a crime on its own. (Surely a dead-end for the RIAA investigators.)

Best method that I can think of is to turn off (or unplug the network wire from) the cable modem or DSL router so it does not broadcast its MAC or IP addresses. Turn it on only when needed; then turn off again. (Obviously you will loose the internet during this time.) Also, moving the cable modem or DSL router from house to (different) house in an effort to further screw up the people trying to nail you down can work.

Ultimately, if you don’t want to get caught, then don’t perpetrate any crime. That’s the surest way to avoid problems.

Any thoughts?

EyesII

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Boards like this attract people suffering from paranoid delusions. It is very likely that a board such as this one will have a higher percentage of such people among its users. It caters for their paranoia and gives them a group of similarly-afflicted individuals who agree with what they claim without any of the hassle of being asked to substantiate their claims, while simultaneously feeding them more ingenious ways to think the government is 'after them'.

If you want to find actual cases of government interference, ask for actual evidence. Paranoiacs don't have any, and those really being targeted must have some, otherwise how are they being targeted? It must happen through some physically-tangible method, and as such would be able to be recorded or logged in objective, accurate terms. Without that it's only fair to ask for more evidence, otherwise it doesn't make sense to believe them.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

to be safe, the only one that can really protect your privacy is you. I wouldn't trust this website (or any other website) any farther than I could throw it... and since it's not even a tangible object, that wouldn't be very far.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesII

Or just use equipment that can have its own MAC address specified, and rotate them randomly.

Or use an anonymiser such as Tor or one or more proxies.

Or steal someone's wireless internet, or simply open your own up (then you can deny it is you doing whatever went through your ISP from your house, as it could have been an uninvited guest).

Or, if someone is that paranoid, stop using any electronics, and don't go out in public. Or talk to anyone. Or drive a car. Or use a bank card. Or even touch money.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
If 'they' were monitoring ATS (and I'm confident they do, simply as policy) it must be the most sought position in town, simply for its laughter value.

But after a while, even that would wear thin for those eagerly seeking 'something big' that might win them a promotion.

ATS, imo, is to be considered light-relief as far as 'conspiracy forums' go.
It's so harmless it really is a joke.

In any event, most of the topics in ATS are regurgitated info that's first been posted elsewhere.

A brief visit to other lightweight forums will show you just how sliced-bread ATS is.

In fact, when you've spent time in ATS and then go to other 'conspiracy sites', you realise that ATS is even less radical than the mainstream news.

I see ATS' value (to 'them') as a disinfo site, rather than a conspiracy site.

Where, on ATS, do you see anything that inclines you to believe you're accessing info that's not freely available elsewhere ?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
If 'they' were monitoring ATS (and I'm confident they do, simply as policy) it must be the most sought position in town, simply for its laughter value.

But after a while, even that would wear thin for those eagerly seeking 'something big' that might win them a promotion.

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the power of technology. Why would anyone sit and read through all these posts, when they could just create software to do the same thing? Software can analyze writing patterns, grammar, spelling, cadence, etc. It could then match your posts on ATS with posts elsewhere on the internet, effectively drawing a huge map of everywhere you have commented, and tying various comments to a single source.

This is not the future, that's actually the past. Who knows what kinds of insane algorithms they have developed now...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
First off may I say I mean no offence to the moderators.
I am just bringing in something that probably has been mentioned before but thought it goes with this thread.

How would anyone know if a moderator was more than just a moderator?

Am I just about to get banned?Oh bummer.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join