It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers Should Be Vaccinated For Pneumonia, Panel Advises

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I live in a town where we have 3 or 4 Plants (Cement,Steel etc)
About half the population has COPD and Asthma etc ....not from SMOKING.(they are mostly kids and elderly and people with low immune systems who do not SMOKE)
There are other things that cause these problems besides just smoking.
What about what gets sprayed on us from the skys ...barium (which there is a high lethal dose in our air according to those who test after the sprayings ) also breaks down the immune system that causes all sorts of breathing problems and asthma etc .................

My Mother died from Emphezema and COPD ..she smoked but she also grew up playing in the piles of coal and living right next door to the coal mines (which helped do this to her) ...

My Stepfather died from Agent Orange stuff ..he was a heavy smoker ..the DR said to him ..after xraying his lungs ..Glad to see your a non smoker ...

I am not saying smoking is good for us ...but just that it is not the only thing that causes all these breathing problems ..

And if you cut out the smokers which cuts out all those taxes ..who do you think is gonna have to pay all that money they will lose from the smokers tax ? Yes you ...

[edit on 24-10-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
[

And if you cut out the smokers which cuts out all those taxes ..who do you think is gonna have to pay all that money they will lose from the smokers tax ? Yes you ...

That's the big thing that makes me go .... huh? about all this.

There's so much taxes taken from cigarettes, (and things like alcohol and lottery, too).

If the states and TBTB are pushing for reducing smoking, where are they going to turn to make up that tax deficite?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I have been wondering that for quite a while now .
I guess then they can add it to alcohol and pills which KILLS QUICKER than smoking does ..

It is cool isnt it when we can find stuff to agree on eh there asmeone lol ....

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

"They" are also trying to curb alcohol and prescription drug use, for example with "prescription database checks."

I really don't understand if this is just a lack of forsight, or there is some bigger, more neferious conspiracy at work.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by Simplynoone

"They" are also trying to curb alcohol and prescription drug use, for example with "prescription database checks."

I really don't understand if this is just a lack of forsight, or there is some bigger, more neferious conspiracy at work.

Well I would go with the bigger more nefarious conspiracy then ..

Some things just dont make sense of why they do some things and dont do other things and talk one way and do another ...(speaking out of both sides of their mouths)

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I believe when you factor in the expenditure of treating all the ailments caused by smoking the government actually loses money on the deal, which is why they're pushing smoking cessation. Let's say the average smoker smokes for 30 years, a pack a day. They pay, let's say, $3 a pack in taxes, that's $1,095 a year they pay in taxes, multiplied by 30 years is $32,850 over the course of their smoking lifespan. Now suddenly, they get a disease from smoking... doesn't have to be the big 'C' it can be heart disease, emphysema, or even just an overall diminished health. My mother-in-law smokes like a chimney stack and got heart disease from it, she's also getting medicare/medicaid. Even removing her open heart bypass surgery and recooperation hospital stay from the equation, her annual medical bill between visits, tests, medicines, and home care equipment for her bronchitis (also from smoking) probably pass $32K 2/3rds of the way through the year. If you throw in the surgeries and attempts to cure people's cancers and such caused by smoking, you have a single sick smoker who can easily burn through the tax revenue generated by 6 or 7 smokers or even more.

When they initially upped taxes on cigarettes, I think they did so intending to ride the cash cow, what they didn't realize was that the tobacco companies would need to increase the addictiveness of the product to keep people paying the higher price and, with that increased addictiveness, also came an increase in the chemicals which make smoking so unhealthy. A viscious circle was formed and, eventually, we're going to be forced to break it somehow. The nonsmoker's way would be to say "just quit smoking" whereas the smoker's way is to say "remove some of the chemicals and lower the taxes to allow a chance for some of the natural tobacco companies to compete."

One thing I'll say to all the folks who are in favor of taxing the hell out of the smoker because it's unhealthy and costing everyone health insurance money is that I sincerely hope you don't enjoy eating fast food, red meat, or anything classified as "junk" food. Y'all will be the next in line to watch fascist government control of consumable goods in action. It wasn't until insurance companies started loudly complaining about the cost of treating smokers that the government started this crap. The insurance companies pad our dear leaders' wallets handsomely and believe me when I say this, all they'll have to do is place McDonalds in their sights and tell the government officials they have bought over the years that something needs to be done and we'll see the Dollar Menu become the Dollar plus $2.75 sin tax Menu become a reality.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Some very good points that you make there!

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Yes a star for you ...very good post and makes alot of sense ..
Even the Mcdonalds part (I hate that place ) ...I would really hate to see how much money the parents are spending at that place for the kids who are addicted to their food and the toys that come with it ..and its cheap ..
Even my 20 year old son and his girlfriend eat nothing but junkfood ..mainly because his girlfriend doesnt cook and he works so has no time to cook too .. and it really is cheaper to eat out now than it is to cook ..(at least at Mcdonalds) ....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join