It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
Some very positive movements have been recorded on this Election Day:

Shares in New York rallied in early trading on Tuesday as people in the US went to the polls. The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up 305.5 points, or 3.3%, at 9,625.3 amid relatively light trading.

The Wall St gave too much credence to the people who went to the polls. The Wall St liked John McCain. And then, the next morning, it was one way traffic:

Dow sheds 486 points

By Alexandra Twin, CNNMoney.com senior writer
Last Updated: November 5, 2008: 5:46 PM ET

So what's the "offical" explanation of such a turnaround?

Stocks declined as a layer of uncertainty was removed with the presidential election complete, leaving the market to return to worrying about the economy.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It's understandable that lots of people were happy when Barack Obama won the presidential election. That was a truly a special occasion and various email providers should speedily include his name into the built-in spell check dictionaries to admit the US President-Elect into the world that used to run on other entries.

Speaking of which . . . lots of pro Obama voters put too much faith in the power of the US President to fix things for them, but that's not the case; there are many other powerful factors that shape the future.

Special occasion met special occasion:

The Dow has lost 9.7% in the last two days alone, its biggest two-day percentage loss since 1987 . . .

There hasn't been an occasion where the Dow would lose more (percentage) in a couple of days following the Election Day as much as there hasn't been a US President who didn't have an Anglo-Saxon name. That's where special has met another special.

But why it hasn't gone the opposite way; why is it so that the Dow hasn't gained 9.7% in two consecutive days following the election?

That's because the US President shouldn't be mistaken for a saint with divine powers to change things around and install a righteous order upon his land. There is no way to change the the corporate reports and other related news that will affect tomorrow's market performance, which will be . . .?

The market history never repeat itself in an exact manner, so the stats telling us what usually happens after the Dow loses some 10% in two consecutive days may not be binding. With a little confidence, a gain of 1% to a loss of 3% should take place. It's a racetrack out there . . .

[edit on 11/6/2008 by stander]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Thanks for your very informative posts.

It's a racetrack out there . . .

Well I'm glad you found a metaphor! I was at a loss for words yesterday (but was too taken up with other business to post, unfortunately). The major indecies were the spitting image of the GM forum icon itself. (Not sure where to dig up a historical chart to show this, but at least you described very well exactly what has been going on.)

Although the slide was halted for the day the overall picture remains extremely erratic, to say the least.

DOW:

FTSE 100:

Source

[edit on 7/11/08 by pause4thought]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
As of 10:17 AM or 1:17 PM Eastern US Time, the DJIA was hovering around 8070. After reaching highs of 8400 today, things seem to have cooled off.

1:19 PM EST Dow has moved to 8107. Let's hope the trend continues. Nasdaq also down.

To see real-time market updates click here.

For investors:

Good stocks which have faired well thru this downturn are Verizon Communications, McDonald's and Intel (to name a few).

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
can someone please link the thread where some guy on a you tube predicts DOW to crash to below 5k ??

i can't find it since I didn't post to it..

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

This guy predicts it will fall farther than that. Not sure if this is what your referring to though..

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The DOW seems to be recovering from initial significant losses, although anything could still happen. The FTSE closed down 2.38% at 4132.16.

DOW:

(Note: times are GMT)

FTSE:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The direction of the way things have been going lately was a wrong way street for those folks who play the stock market. But for those who make living the most usual way, the descending numbers was a blessing because the downward movement took the oil and gas prices down as well.

The oil price per barrel peaked on July 11, 2008 when it stood at $145, as opposed to present price around $55. That reflects on the prices of gas: the motorists in the USA pay now almost $2 dollars less for a gallon of gas than they did in the summer. That means filling a 15-gallon gas tank saves you $30. Not bad at all, but since the skyrocketing gas prices caused the food prices to go up as well, some of the saved gas money are absorbed by buying the more expensive food. The price of food goes up with the cost of gas increasing, but doesn't go down when gas becomes cheaper again. That's the reality of things.

The lower gas prices will not stay that way for too long. The OPEC is not overly happy with it, and the economy will not stay suppressed forever. Once there is an improvement, the demand for oil will increase and prices will rise again. Until then, keep on trucking.

Now the dispatch from the battlefield: The last Thursday surprising gain got wiped out by the Friday and today session. There is a good chance that the DJIA will close tomorrow bellow 8000 points sending the clock back to the summer of 2002 when it was the last time DJIA was at this level.

When the traders saw the the Dow sliding bellow 8000 last Thursday, they responded with a huge rally. Are we going to see the same response tomorrow?

I think there is not enough fuel left to keep the plane flying above 8000 feet -- or keeping it in the air at all.

No panic, please. One by one.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
That was an informative post summing up yesterday's movements, stander. The reminder of the role played by fluctuations in oil prices was a nice touch. Slick new avatar too. All round duderiffic©.

Not for the first time in recent weeks the readings have been reminiscent of an erratic heartbeat:

DOW

FTSE (at close)