It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Yeah the perma-bulls are sounding downright depressed lately. Been seeing some of their calls from last year (check out the Schiff thread) and they look like total asses.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Japan stocks dive 6.9 percent after US sell-off

news.yahoo.com...

When you read the article, you can see where the Japanese make a big mistake.

"People are watching U.S. shares closely, and the Japanese market is vulnerable to more falls," he said.

There is only one thing I can say to the Japanese traders: Don't look at the Dow; keep your eyes shut!

I know it helps; it worked before . . .

data.cnbc.com...

Amazing . . .

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Don't be surprised to see a big rally today (11/21). There's been some sick action overnight on the futes; we could have a +500 day.

Someone knows something. Might be huge news coming this AM. Autos and/or Citi are the touchiest subjects right now, could be something going on there.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
November 21 3:40pm
Dow Jones ~ 7,878.60 +326.31 +4.32%

it went up %4 suddenly for no good reason

I guess they want to wait till Monday for the crash
everyone needs a weekend off...

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Well, good or bad reason...the market increased because of apparent approval of Obama's new Treasury Secretary nomination Timothy Geithner.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
November 21 3:40pm
Dow Jones ~ 7,878.60 +326.31 +4.32%

it went up %4 suddenly for no good reason

Geithner announcement did it.

We may well hit 8k today. 7999 as I type. Whoops, there's 8001!

Financials aren't following the rally. Very, very strange day.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

well...the system is all controlled anyways so no surprise that it goes up when it should be going down and vice versa

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
S&P over 800, DJIA over 8000. Big 6% + on both. Final trades still trickling through.

Citi is still in trouble. $3.78, down 20% on VERY heavy volume.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Final numbers are in.

DJIA 8046.42 +494.13
S&P 800.03 +47.59
NAS 1384.35 +68.23

Those are some big support levels crossed on the Dow & S&P - this could potentially lead in to a big bear rally, possibly even through the end of the year.

Originally posted by anachryon
Don't be surprised to see a big rally today (11/21). There's been some sick action overnight on the futes; we could have a +500 day.

^^^Not a bad call!

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon

I can see the traders feverishly climbing the Ladder of Holy Rescue tomorrow trying to put as much as distance between them and the Abyss of Inevitable Reckoning.

No, it's not a surprising event, except that the traders made the climb more spectacular after exploring the region deeper bellow 8,000 yesterday. They were surely looking for something down there and inadvertantly stumbled across something that freaked them out big time.
www.google.com...
The world after GM, Ford and Chrysler just unraveled before their eyes.
Climb! Climb! Climb . . . !

And what would be the official cause of the traders getting so much excited at 3:00 pm?

Stocks woke up Friday following news that President-Elect Barack Obama is expected to announce two key cabinet posts.

You got to be kidding me . . .

If someone makes a decision to act at 3 o'clock, that someone thinks about number 3. Like GM + Ford + Chrysler = 3 automakers -- and the Bulgarian chariot.

If someone acts upon 2 key cabinet posts, that someone kicks off the action at 2 o'clock. But that's not what happened. The math is simple, but not acceptable to the market experts who screamed in horror upon realizing that anachryon creamed them big time; the pro market experts were looking down, not up.

[edit on 11/21/2008 by stander]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Look, there's now only one way this market would support a solid long-term rally. Obama has to appoint anachryon as Secretary of the Treasury.

In a nutshell

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
has anyone figured yet

that the other $350+billion of the 'TARP' (troubled assets) monies
might be covertly passed along to the PPT Plunge-Protection-Team
to use for market rallys and for precious metal price suppression through the COMEX

and by monday morning most of those funds will be returned to the 'TARP' funds account, with nobody the wiser??

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
St Udio - Sorry you lost me there. I'm sure someone else can comment, or perhaps you might like to comment on what has actually transpired since your post?

Back to the raw market data:

what on earth is going on???

I'll wager someone, somewhere (black mask & dagger, behind the scenes, etc.) has been making repeated killings on the back of these huge swings. (I realize I'm not the first to say this.)

Ten percent gains so far on the FTSE, Dax & Cac 40.

Can anyone put that in a historical perspective (-not to mention spill the beans with regard to what is driving this today, at least on the face of it?)

EDIT:

20 mins after the above post I came across this brief article:

Shares 10% up on crisis measures

The Citibank bailout + today's unveiling of UK govt. measures to stimulate the economy are credited with driving the market up.

[edit on 24/11/08 by pause4thought]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
Look, there's now only one way this market would support a solid long-term rally. Obama has to appoint anachryon as Secretary of the Treasury.

No one in their right mind would want that position! I may be a little off my rocker, but no way in hell I'd take the appointment.

I believe there is still a chance for a sustained rally at least through Thanksgiving, perhaps until Christmas even. It won't be consistent +5% days, but a general upward trend in the short term is possible.

No, "the bottom" is not in yet.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The behavioral model of the Dow shows that any sudden upward movement resulting in gains above 5% will be caused by the news of the government bailing out one of those thirty companies that the Dow is made of. Otherwise, the Dow would keep closing plus/minus 2.5% most of the time.

It's a sorrowful state of affairs, but that's how things will work intermittently in the future.

There is an interesting correlation between the price of oil (NYMEX) and the Dow: When Dow finishes up, the price of oil per barrel goes up as well andthe gain equals roughly the percentage that the Dow gained. When the Dow closes bellow, the price of oil follows the suit and the decline is about 1/2 of the percentage that the Dow lost. This kind of makes it unlikely that the oil will ever see its price per barrel at $30, as some of the oil expert predicted.

[edit on 11/24/2008 by stander]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
stander: thanks for the low-down on oil movements.

Here's the latest raw data:

DOW

FTSE