It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
One of you smart folks, explain to me why the Market seems to the the opposite of whatever people think it is going to do?

I'm at a loss here, and from what I hear, those on the trading floor are at just as much of a loss.
Current speculation is anything from low volume to short covering to just plain ol' fear at the carnage overseas earlier.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

One of you smart folks, explain to me why the Market seems to the the opposite of whatever people think it is going to do?

I don't qualify as one of these smart folks, but I smell a rat. I do believe the powers that be are manipulating the market.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
DOW looks like A-Fib, they need to inject it with some Digitek, get it back under control...or just shock it (that's my answer to everything)

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
low volume, strange activity and a rumor

Markets expect the Federal Reserve to cut U.S. rates next week to help head off a sharp recession. U.S. short-term interest rate futures rose sharply on Friday, implying a strong chance of a 75 basis point rate cut.

Spread between DIA 85 puts & calls huge
85 calls pricing in 90 plus, puts pricing in 78.75
(earlier this morning)

By all accounts, we should be tanking hard today.

Market manipulation just makes us even less trustworthy to the rest of the world.

On a related (or not) note...

Dreyfus Foundation suspends three programs

The following programs are suspended until further notice:

New Faculty Awards Program
Faculty Start-up Awards Program
Senior Scientist Mentor Program

No explanation given

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

Dreyfus Foundation suspends three programs

The following programs are suspended until further notice:

New Faculty Awards Program
Faculty Start-up Awards Program
Senior Scientist Mentor Program

No explanation given

I do not understand what this is?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

Dreyfus Foundation gives HUGE grants to education - specifically science, chemical engineers & chemistry.

News of them suspending 3 of their top 5 programs is a bit disturbing.

they gave no explanation but I would expect funding is part of the reason these programs were suspended

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
We should set the market for Monday. I mean sending DJI to a higher place to jump from on Monday. The after-weekend trading day are good for bungee jumping.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
about two hours left.. so big dump at end of day? headed down pretty steadly again.. getting close to 8k

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Over the past month, the last hour of trading has been the most "fun" to watch due to volatility.

Not sure where today's market will end. 700+ down?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
+150 points in a 5 minute timespan. Noooo market manipulation going on here. Of course not.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

+150 points in a 5 minute timespan. Noooo market manipulation going on here. Of course not.

Are you gonna help or not? I'm not gonna drag it up 300+ by myself.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

If you meant drag it DOWN to -300, you made a pretty accurate call!

Closing bell has just rung, initial close is -317, 8374.25.
The numbers, as always, will change over the next 5-15 minutes as the final trades move through the system.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon

Originally posted by stander

If you meant drag it DOWN to -300, you made a pretty accurate call!

Closing bell has just rung, initial close is -317, 8374.25.
The numbers, as always, will change over the next 5-15 minutes as the final trades move through the system.

No, this is what I meant: The Dow was at the lowest in the afternoon session at 2:00 and destined to go up. So, at that time, I posted the idea "to move it up" to gain some height for the Monday morning fall. The Dow did peak by gaining 300 points but the gain didn't last to the end. That's why I "asked for the help" to keep it steady 300+ to the end.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Nobody wanted to help you after your dismal performance yesterday, missing the bottom by almost 10 minutes. The market has no faith in you stander. But don't despair, there's a new Fed facility opening next week to restore faith in stander.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Nobody wanted to help you after your dismal performance yesterday, missing the bottom by almost 10 minutes. The market has no faith in you stander. But don't despair, there's a new Fed facility opening next week to restore faith in stander.

Yeah, I know. My employment history is a long line leading from one screw up to another. It looks like the Federal Reserve is the only place where I can retire from.

I'd like to correct slight misinformation: I mentioned getting a job with the Feds some time ago; I didn't say that I'd had already the job. That should calm down the folks who vehemently call for the abolishment of the institution.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me what happened to the FTSE today? The chart over at Yahoo looks really funny:

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Mainer]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
What do you know...the DJIA is crumbling again in the last five minutes of trading.

Amazing.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
So...uhhh...WTH was that? -2% in ten minutes?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

Frankly, we almost shouldn't even be surprised anymore.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Yep the markets are as stable as a drunk on stilts. I was amazed they stayed up most of the day.. but as usual lately it can all change in the last hour.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join