It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 535
<< 532  533  534    536  537  538 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

What political mess other than ACORN and healthcare?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

hmmm, up to 2 million people march on the Capitol, peacefully yes, but still...

Our CINC has known strong ties to ACORN and IF indictments come and IF some of those indicted hold offices in gov...

EVERYTHING the US manages to pull of with the rest of the world is BECAUSE they view the US as POLITICALLY STABLE.

Let the rest of the world start to think that our political stability is faltering and we are scroomed so fast, we won't even have time to feel the burn.

ACORN investigations have already begun in 3 states, Louisiana, Texas & Georgia.

Members of Congress are calling for Federal Investigations

And Hillary Clinton is the only high ranking Democrat that has no apparent ties to ACORN.

Do you really need more than that?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Well yes because they will just sweep this issue down under the table and just hide themselves from public scrutiny. If the civil rights problems here did not cause foreigners to take all their assets out of the US, then ACORN won't either.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

hey I was just giving some friendly words of advice, you don't have to listen.

doesn't affect my bottom line if you see things differently than I do

ETA: also remember, when the civil rights mess was going on, we were still on at least a partial gold standard for our FRNs

Not now

[edit on 9/18/09 by redhatty]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

I havent been paying attn. to this other than something about a prostitute ring and some fake news fox went with?

Arent these people supposed to be adults or something?.. I couldnt get away with that in HS - this is all garbage to me, meaning that this seems like more tactics to combat people into a "2 party system" by hating the opposition and being in love with your choice, i hate pol. parties

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Was it a cave or a rock? LOL

Seriously, you really should read up on what's actually happening.

Congress moved faster to defund ACORN this week than they did to pass the Bailout.

hmmmm.....

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

really?

well honestly like i said i am spending 12 hours a day programming and backtesting.. so yes i am under a rock i suppose haha

but in reality.. you cant be for either

1. party "a"

2. party "b"

you are playing into their hand IMO - but i do not back down from the fact that someone is dirty.. but at the same time, i just dont get these stupid antics being put on, seems like something on jerry springer

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I'm not with a party, I am with MY COUNTRY. I am neither a Dem or Rep, Conservative or liberal, I am an AMERICAN.

ACORN, a taxpayer funded organization that our President is HIGHLY connected to has been shown, with video evidence from 5 different offices in 5 different cities to not only condone, but are willing to help in the taking of young children from their homes in a foreign country against their will and illegally bringing them into this country for the express purpose of making money from forcing them to have sex with pedophiles.

within a couple days of the news hitting FOX, BOTH houses of Congress have passed legislation to completely de-fund ACORN, 3 states, including my own, are starting investigations into the actions and financial dealings of ACORN and it already, this early on, is starting to look like ACORN received taxpayer funds that they in turn funneled back to the politicians who helped get them those fund by way of campaign contributions.

Even today, our President revised his disclosures on monies received from ACORN organizations.

The DOJ is going to investigate too.

And it was 2 college kids, with a bankroll of $1300 who did the investigative journalism that exposed ACORN, not FOX News.

[edit on 9/18/09 by redhatty]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

This is a good thing!!!

You should be all wrapped up in yer "charts"...

That way, when it blows up, you can stick yer head where the sun don't shine in (yer Love-Pappys) bung-hole... shucks...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I meant something else. The time when you'll be able to use your PC to buy stock based on algorithm directly from the exchange is like a few centuries away. Have you ever heard about hackers trying to sneak in?

It's impossible, coz the computers are not connected to the same medium that handles Internet. It's a connection similar to the debit/credit card machines in stores and only institutional investors are allowed to use this way to trade. The only way possible to use your PC to place an order that gets executed within a minute would be a central computer receiving orders from around the world through the Internet. Like Hotmail, for example. You send email that gets handled by large computers. So you would need to learn the special script that the central computer would understand to translate it into the language that the orders are executed at the exchange. Before your buy order gets processed by that central computer, it would automatically withdraw money from your bank account and deposit them temp with your process account set up with the company that operates the central computer. If you sell, thing will work the other way. That would be surely the holy grail for the hackers.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

It used to be that stock market was a domain of the rich, but the smart boys set up things the way that anyone can join the club with his or her $25,000 and start trading, not investing. Just open the account with financial companies and they take care of it. Lots of new money entered the market and lots of new people are making pretty good money by managing the portfolios -- the safe approach to the stock market game.

Very much the opposite of the idea of market, right?

No, wait...

Market as a commodity?

Dialectics...

Buy and sell - market

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Letting a fund manage your money hasn't worked out very well if you bought in back 10 year ago. My parents were told that the fund manager carefully picked companies that would have progressive earnings growth. Long term the reinvesting dividends would dollar cost average and they would do much better than interest rate products. Naturally my parents got wiped out like everyone else in stocks but they kept being told that stock price drops are only a paper loss and to give it another couple months. This spring stocks have recovered about half their loss and advisers like GBM's dad don't have much trouble getting people to believe that the price increase trend will continue.

sound familiar?

My opinion is that when you milk a cow you better be careful about how you pull on the teats! If you yank one of those sensitive "too big to fall" stocks all the way to the barn floor you are going to get kicked!

I'm not sure where GBM got the phrase "fade the public" but it doesn't sound anything like the "everyone wins when you support company growth through investment" line of cow droppings my parents bought into.

I'm not a gambler by nature although my father took me to the track a few times when I was younger. I remember the rail birds talk about track condition, inside tips etc. all washed down with lots of beer served in plastic cups so they wouldn't injure the horses at the finish line. Of course since I was too young to drink the rail bird predictions did not seem to warrant the need to borrow money late in the program. GS issued hard numbers about how much they have taken from the invested money pool and Warren Buffet stated he was down by millions at one point. When you think about it risking real money as a small time investor based on the premise that your judgment will be better than others in a pool is probably kind of stupid.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Excelent response, HX3. And don't forget to tell him to bring his Athlon with 256MB RAM so he can "finish" his "programming and backtesting" What a joke.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

You are so right is not funny, then we have "madam pelosi" as she wants to be call of suffer the consequences crying on TV warning of blood baths in the government if they don't compromised.

the government has a become nothing more than a circus and the clowns are the congress.

Then we got the Acorn scandal boy oh boy our nation is degrading and roting faster than a piece of meat in a hot desert heat.

Still people has forgotten how the masses can make the corrupted in Washington start getting really scare.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
U.S. to Hit Debt Ceiling- Again

The markets better enjoy their rally because things are going to heat up very soon, the rest of the world is going to see that things in the mighty US economically are not as sound as the government and the Markets wants to show.

Sometime after the battle over health care reform is over, for the 90th time in the past 69 years lawmakers are set to engage in another contentious debate, this one with a foregone conclusion.

This fall, lawmakers will once again increase the national debt ceiling. The debate will be highly partisan, but the outcome will assuredly be that the U.S will raise its credit limit by about $1 trillion.

At $12.1 trillion, the national debt ceiling was just $349 billion away from being topped after unprecedented intervention into the financial markets that included $700 billion in bailouts and a $787 billion stimulus package.

On August 7, the U.S. Treasury Department sent a letter to lawmakers warning them that another vote to raise the national debt ceiling was imminent. Since that time, the economy has improved somewhat. Lawmakers are hoping that this will allow them to put the vote off until later in the year and provide them with some political cover.

Is actually hilarious how the government has kept this behind their backs while pushing the health care reform.

money.cnn.com...

[edit on 18-9-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You are so right is not funny, then we have "madam pelosi" as she wants to be call of suffer the consequences crying on TV warning of blood baths in the government if they don't compromised.

What scares us who live here in California more than what happened at that meet and greet is the way they are reporting it here. It was ALL OVER the TV here yesterday and it has allot of people we know and don't for that matter scratching their heads/fearful!
Most everyone is worried that they are showing "scenes from the era" she is talking about and how bad it was etc. To most of us it was one thing to bring it up as a way to get some attention to their plight. But at the same time it is appearing as an open call for some idiots out there to start that crap back up again.
Now mind you I am SURE/KNOW that there where those who where out there to peacefully protest etc.They just wanted to be heard and counted.BUT there where far more who where out to cause more trouble for everyone than good.
We are waiting to see what happens this weekend around here where we live. We have a very eclectic mix of people and a whole lot of recent transplants that just don't fit in with the way things are done around here. We should know by 12 AM tonight into Saturday morning when the bars close.(We have a HUGE amount of bars and grills etc where tourists come to visit due to the age of them. Most are from the Victorian era and some even earlier.)
Lets all just hope that her actions and words don't do as much damage as most around here think they are going to.
Because if they do it WILL spread to other states.

This alone could send the markets into a fearful state full force again due to the upheaval!

Edit to add:
Sorry for the time to respond my washer just blew and ruined all my towels and flooded the kitchen: when it came back through the pipes took forever to clean up!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by BostonBill99

Excelent response, HX3. And don't forget to tell him to bring his Athlon with 256MB RAM so he can "finish" his "programming and backtesting" What a joke.

Do you have something to say Boston Bill? And yes an "excelent" response indeed...

And hx, that wasn't very nice either.. I have put 99% of you to shame over the past 5-6 months and made you all look quite foolish, I rarely have to bring that up, but I will again.

I have tried to help most of you, but it is too bad that you fail to recognize this.

I am now 100% done with this thread and will not be posting anymore.

You can all say what you like, but in the end of course you will be on the wrong side the majority of the time. This thread can now revert back to its old form, a laughable one.

Enjoy yourselves.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Originally posted by BostonBill99

Do you have something to say Boston Bill? And yes an "excelent" response indeed...

And hx, that wasn't very nice either.. I have put 99% of you to shame over the past 5-6 months and made you all look quite foolish, I rarely have to bring that up, but I will again.

I have tried to help most of you, but it is too bad that you fail to recognize this.

I am now 100% done with this thread and will not be posting anymore.

You can all say what you like, but in the end of course you will be on the wrong side the majority of the time. This thread can now revert back to its old form, a laughable one.

Enjoy yourselves.

Hmmm... that's a shame because I quite enjoyed your contribution to this thread. I may usually fall on the side of the 'doomsayer' but your opinions and analysis helps balance out the pot. You have to admit, a site like ATS is chock-full of doomsayers so when somebody comes in and starts doing actual analysis and calling it for what it is (like a big summer rally which you have been very right with every part of the way) people will trash you for it. Weird, huh?

I think it is because people are feeling frustrated that all over the place 'real' news and numbers like imports and exports, unemployment, industrial production etc etc etc are looking dismal while the markets rally on. You have been using analysis to explain the rally and you have been right. The frustration people feel toward the discrepancy between stocks and economy (since when is a stock market an indicator of economic health anyway?) is growing and that frustration many of us take out on those that explain the rally.

Maybe I am wrong.
But to me it just seems like a convoluted form of 'shooting the messenger' and I would not take it personally if I were you.

Sorry you were attacked and you are bailing from the thread.

And sorry for going off-topic. I like this thread when it is about the actual market data.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

This is a good thing!!!

You should be all wrapped up in yer "charts"...

That way, when it blows up, you can stick yer head where the sun don't shine in (yer Love-Pappys) bung-hole... shucks...

Wow you're a real ass. GBM may not be totally right on everything, but at least he doesn't demean people. I am sure he apologizes for not making as big of an impact on humanity as you have. Though I doubt it would be very hard to exceed that impact of yours

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

I havent been paying attn. to this other than something about a prostitute ring and some fake news fox went with?

Well if it was a fake news story then the Senate and House sure moved quickly on it! As Redhatty said "Seriously, you really should read up on what's actually happening." and don't be so single minded.

As others have said I also enjoy reading the information you post and hope that you can overcome the criticism and abuse as we all receive it in the forums from time to time.

I am pretty sure that you will be back if not just to monitor the thread.

top topics

<< 532  533  534    536  537  538 >>

join