It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katrina EXPOSED! Must Watch! This makes me sick!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
The only one that got away with the ineptitude was Ray Nagin, he was re-elected Mayor of New Orleans. What does that say about the city of New Orleans?

One of a couple of things...
Either:

A. The people of New Orleans do not know what they are doing
B. Nagin just got lucky
C. Nagin Blamed everyone else... and they belived him

or to quote a horrible summer movie...

'hes got the color issue on his side...'

personaly, i think it is because of A... Just based on what i have seen from the evidence...

Also, RR, don't be afriad to watch the 27 min news bit...

Yea, it is the American Major Media... One of the talking heads, but just take it for what it is...
Study it if you may...
Its worth looking at... not worth the whole 27 mins... but there is some good photage in there.
Look to only get a mind set of the type of person. The person who suckles at the Goverment Handout...

Remember though, there is misfourtune there.
There are some people stayed not because they wanted to.
You got to feel for the elderly... but in turn, you must realise that it is ON THIER CHILDREN, and FAMILY..
Don't forget that last part.
Its just awful how many lifes were lost in Katrina. All those people should have been fine. But they didn't leave the area...

With our technolgoy today, satalights, radar, tracking, forcasts, cars, trains, planes, its so sad to see people not take it seriously and move inland...

In the 1800's early 1900's, ok, i get it..

You didnt know if a big ol strom was on ya until it hit...
Now, we are tracking disturbeces off the coast of africa, and seeing if they hit us, then giving them names...

There are nasty storms that hit the US every year.
Every year

New Orleans is just a city built below sea level...
This has always been a possiblity.
It just happen, and New Orleans just didn't take the percautions...

Next time they will...

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
All I can say is f*** FEMA, the mayor, and Bush!!! It just shows that the government really doesn't care about its people. This was the saddest video that I have seen with our government not helping its people. This makes me sick to my stomach. But kudos to Chris Hansen. We need to get rid of FEMA and BUSH!!

[edit on 11-10-2008 by The Revealer]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Its New Orleans.. we really don't care about that shanty town of a city, nor acknowledge its existence unless its mardi gras. A good number of people there were done a favor by getting flooded out becuase they wanted to leave anyway, but just couldn't afford to. Now they're in places they'd rather be.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It is not the federal governments responsibility. Do any of you understand state, local and federal politics?

The day before Katrina hit, the DAY before, hours in fact, before it hit, an evacuation order was given. Now, if you have millions of people in a system that was already stated as having poor levees based on studies, would you not have ordered them out a little earlier, and made sure that the federal government was involved. It did not happen.

Why should the fed be blamed for TRYING to help a city that was running rampant with looting the DAY after the storm. People were too busy getting clothes, alcohol and TV's to leave the day after the storm and got stuck. Tough #. Then, after rescue, they were given places to stay and visa cards.

How about how crime shot up in the surrounding states? Nagin should be tried for the `400+ deaths from that storm.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
Yea...

the city is situated in a bad place...
I cannot advise living in a place that is under sea level...

Forget that New Orleans has been people's home, for over 300 years, in all senses of the word. Forget the role that this city has played in the development of a uniquely American culture.

Our Jazz, food, and joie de vivre move few in the chattering classes to tears.

Sixty percent of the petroleum used in the nation is refined from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. Port Fouchon, the largest offshore oil port in the nation, was damaged by Katrina and Gustav, and its very existence impacts gas prices across the nation by some .20 to .30 cents per gallon.

The majority of American aquiculture occurs off the Louisiana coast. From fish to shellfish, if an American has a seafood dinner, chances are that it emerged off the coasts of South Louisiana.

Not to mention that the docks all the Mississippi River from the Gulf of Mexico through New Orleans to Baton Rouge constitute the largest Port in the World. Without these facilities and the vast population to operate them, the intermodal import and export of goods in North America would be crippled to a dangerous economic degree.

Yea...

the city is situated in a bad place...
I cannot advise living in a place that is under sea level...

Then, call for Houston to move. It stands as low as New Orleans, and is, in fact, closer to the Gulf.

Parts of Manhattan have fallen into the sea, and some experts believe that flooding could become a regular occurrence in the Big Apple for years to come. Then, move New York.

The levees failed in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, way above sea level. Maybe the farmers of the Midwest should also relocate?

Florida gets devastating Hurricanes more regularly than Louisiana. Maybe we should move Florida.

The low-lying ridge between Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River may be the worst place in the world to put a city, but it is also the best. Our founder, Jean Baptiste Le Moyne, Sieur de Bienville, knew that the conflux of the river and the Gulf would provide the economic linchpin for most of North American.

People had chances to get out of the city.
They could have gone north into Mississippi
they could have moved west to Baton Rouge

You are repeating yourself, and yet, you still cannot give a way for this to occur. How do you "move" people who have no transportation of their own? How would you evacuate New York City to say.... Albany?

If your life is on the line, im sure you would do something...

you still don't get it do you? No one really believed their life was on the line. By the time that reality became reality, it was too late. It was ALMOST 24 HOURS AFTER THE STORM when the levees breached. No one had any reason to think they were in mortal danger until it was too late.

Also, you said there is public transport in NO, why couldn't that be used to get out of the city?

Because Orleans Parish transport only runs in Orleans Parish, then you have Jefferson Parish transport, which covers Metairie. No public transportation goes over lake Pontchartrain or to Baton Rouge.

Baton Rouge is pretty close... im sure there HAD to be some sort of transportation to that city...

You are wrong, they did establish a bus that ran from Baton Rouge to New Orleans AFTER Katrina, but non existed prior to the storm.

What about getting on a plane like most people did...
or just driving..

Covered that above, try again...

Getting on a boat probaly wouldnt have been a good idea, but heading west to Texas on boat several days before would have been fine

yeah, all those residents that didn't have a car, had a boat at the curb. Do you even realize how ridiculous you are sounding here? A BOAT from New Orleans to Texas? Sure, people sail through the gulf like that all the time... NOT

Rideing out a Hurricane is an experence that can only be had, not told.'
But you should be able to take care of yourself if you are going to do this...
You don't seen to want to accept that MOST of those who stayed did provide for themselves, they had supplies in the house, but the house ended up flooded almost 24 hours AFTER they thought everything was okay again

If waiting for Big Goverment to come save you is your first plan, then you have made a mistake...
Believe me, it was not anyone's first plan, and for many it was not even their choice.

Rather then sitting around waiting for Goverment to save them....
Yep, all those people flooded out of their homes onto the roofs were just sitting around waiting for the government to save them, yep, that was their plan, they all coordinated to suck off the teat of the system because they KNEW they were gonna get flooded in almost a day after the storm passed. Yep, you figured them all out, didn't ya?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Did you ever stop to think that a good portion of the people who stayed....had to because they were poor? Suppose they left...where were they suppose to go? Okay...so they get out of the city, but where do they stay and how do they eat? Believe it or not, but some people don't have the means to do the things that we do.

I can see your point...but only to a point. You may have the means to "get out" but some didn't because there was no way for them to and had no where to go.

Just saying.....

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

How can I see it?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
While the video is disturbing I can not find sympathy for any of these people in the video. There were warnings issued to leave. The sheer size of Katrina should have been enough to tell these people to get the hell out of her way. Same as the people still missing because of Ike. If you're dumb enough to stay put when weather experts are telling you to leave the area then whatever happens to you is YOUR fault. Why should any of our police, troops, or anyone else risk disease from contaminated water or death from looters because they see you with a canteen of water all because you stayed behind and are now suffering?Poor poor you

They were warned,they chose to stay so what ever happened to them is their own faults not FEMA or anyone else.

A lot of the incidents that took place after help arrived.i.e. the gun confiscations was wrong, but those people put themselves in that position so they get no sympathy from me. Call me heartless I don't care.
Same as a drunk driver. You drive drunk and kill yourself, good. At least I don't have to worry about your sorry ass killing me or anyone I know next time you do it because there won't be a next time.

I remember the videos of folks chanting for help. Shoulda helped yourselves and got out of the way! And don't tell me they didn't have a way out. They had no problem getting around to loot did they?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Simon_Boudreaux

Where were these people suppose to go then? They were poor and didn't have any other place to go to. It wasn't there fault that they stayed behind. I'm sure they wanted to leave but they couldn't.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by The Revealer]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

In a civilized country, days before, evacuation would have meant, the government federally and locally, and with whatever services that existed, including army, using whatever vehicles they could, would have transported people from one hospital to others set up if necessary, and all the poor would have been given transport with workers going through every area. Why? Because thats its down in most democracies. Because the tax dollars are the peoples and serve the people and this isn't a primitive society. When a government fails to use the people resources to help the people its treason.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
As one of the First Responders (Firefighter) that responded to this disaster, I can tell you it was other-worldly. I had never seen the level of devastation I saw during my time there. We had to saw through trees blocking roads, we had to figure out ways to get parts of houses off the roads so we could get equipment in. It was a nightmare for us, and we were never told how many people we'd find once we arrived. Our site was Mobile, Alabama which also got destroyed by this hurricane, but few ever talk about it. Sadly, most of the attention was turned to New Orleans rather than to the entire region where literally everyone needed help. We saw the dead in the streets, we saw the floating coffins from the graveyards. We saw everything. It pains me to think we as a nation couldn't have gotten those people out of harms way before the hurricane arrived.

If one lesson is to be taken from all of this is is this: Always be prepared to do what you have to do in order to never have to depend on the US Government for assistance. Be prepared to drop everything and get out of Dodge. Have a bug-out-bag and maps always at the ready. Have places you could travel to already figured out. Your plans may not cover everything, but they are better than having no plan at all.

I hope people never have to go through something that devastating again, though I'm pretty sure many have already failed to learn from this and are therefore doomed to repeat it.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Revealer

Where were these people suppose to go then? They were poor and didn't have any other place to go to. It wasn't there fault that they stayed behind. I'm sure they wanted to leave but they couldn't.

If they truly wanted out they would have found a way. If myself and my family was faced with a situation like this I would have gotten out. Even if it meant pushing my family out in a shopping cart I would have found a way. My opinion is they stayed behind thinking they were going to loot and get them some free stuff. Just so happened the levee broke and threw a wrench in the works for them so instead of looting for televisions and other valuable items they ended up having to loot for survival needs.But they still got some free stuff didn't they. The lady in the video with all the pairs of shoes what was she going to do with those shoes? Eat them? Drink them? She said she needed to survive. With all those pairs of shoes?
The people on their roofs had me laughing. Could they not swim? Could they not find something that floats and make a get away from their roofs? These people should have taken it upon themselves to get out of the situation and instead they chose not to and to wait for someone else to get them out. And I should feel bad for them?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I love the arguments that are basically saying "you should never reley on your goverment to help you", so why are you wasting billions of tax payers money on FEMA if there job isn't to help people. I am sorry but 4 days without providing food and water in the richest country in the world is more than shocking. You just can't defend it, what the hell were the helicopters and the army doing for those first couple of days? people were just left to die.

People who have been saying "it's their fault for staying", you are just heartless or just don't have a clue what your on about. So are you telling me the elderly, handicapped and the sick can just move out by themselves? well if not well tough your going to die. Well thats nice isn't it........ If this happened in the UK I think there would be riots no matter how apathetic we can be.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by estar]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Each individual that stayed should have had their own food and water. That is not the govt.s responsibility. Plain and simple. I can understand people not wanting to leave, but be responsible for yourself.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Wow!!

I thought TKainZero was bad....

You sir, are a piece of work! To laugh with people stranded on their roofs and people dieing..... Sickening! The water was 1/2 sewage.

Just goes to show that there really are some people on this planet that don't care at all about others.

Your posts get the big

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Thank you so much to the OP. With time we seem to forget the things that happen to us. In the 24 hour news world we live in it is far too easy to become numb and dull to the harsh realities of life. My heart hurts watching this video, it does bring a tear to my eye... I know there is alot of blaming going on in this thread but I think we can all agree that things like this never need to happen again, but the sad truth is that it goes on every day around the world. I hope when you see this you get the urge, the urge to do good and help everyone around you because thinking of others and putting them before yourself is the only way we are going to continue living on this planet. The time is now, the place is right where you are, now make a change in your area and your life and WE, not the government will make our future.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Each person that stayed should have had their own food and water. Plain and simple. That is not the govt.s resposibility. I can understand why they stayed but they need to put the blame on themselves. And dont tell me they couldnt afford to fill empty milk containers with water before the storm. I too live in an area where hurricanes are prevalent and have been without power/water for over a week. This is just common sense. Hope those shoes tasted good.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

I hadn't seen this video before – thanks for posting it. What happened in New Orleans should never be forgotten. Normally I'm disgusted by the tendency of the media to exploit potential or real disaster, but in this case I believe we are lucky there were media people there to cover it. Otherwise, we would never have known.

Those who don't understand cities where people do not have cars will probably never understand how difficult it can be to evacuate. I would write more but there is no use. I am as sickened by some of the responses as I was by the video.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I really don't understand why we're supposed to hate the U.S. government for this. The response to this was massive within days. I can't say about first responders, those being state and local forces, but I don't see a way to blame this on the federal level. You have people who were told this would happen, who have known that they were in a hurricane-prone area for years, complaining when they aren't babied right after disaster strikes, as if the government is supposed to magically transport supplies within minutes. There were, as far as I know, six deaths within the entire dome, none of which were due to negligence.

Yeah, life's a bitch when you don't prepare at all and you don't do anything until "help" comes to give you free stuff and tell you what to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join