It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays, medically born Gay? Gays superior to Strieghts?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
and i completely respect you and your thoughts. but simply because it exists is not an excuse to say that its beautiful the way it is, for beauty is yet another point of view to a person. I personaly find beauty in understandment. which is why i ask so many questions and love to learn.

You do understand alot of what im asking, however not completely. Its not that im curious because i dont understand that people do infact have atractions to the same sex, I am curious because i want to understand the scientific side of it.

As you said yourself, You were born gay, as with every other gay person acording to science (thanks to the research sources found by skeptic... again, lol). So we have already answered quite a few questions simply on a few studies of the human brain in striaght and gay men and women. Why are gays, gay? because the brain of a gay man is more similar to that of a woman than that of a man. and the same goes for the other sex. Are they superior? No, not exactly. The way i was thinking in the way that gays would be superior is that they have both the female and male brain types conjoined, but, as it states, that is false, the brain of a homosexual person resembles that of the opposite sex.

I do admit however that I havent had a strong descussion with a homosexual person about homosexuality, unfortunatly. mostly because i dont want to offend. and also i dont really know what to ask.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

Have a discussion with someone, then.

People are a lot harder to offend than some think; as long as you aren't rude or come off as a bigot or a homophobic idiot, I don't think there would be a problem.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
And i would, unfortunatly however, i dont think that all homosexuals could answer in the way that you have. usually simply stating that "i was born this way" isnt good enough for me. Im seeking more of the science behind the person. "I was born this way" is similar to saying "it simply is", which doesnt really prove anything.

so i turn to my research buddy
lol

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I have to say that gay men and woman brains are like this, they have two sides, a right hemisphere and left hemisphere we as gay people have a bridge between both hemispheres which aloud us to switch naturally back and forth with out even thinking about it. However, straight people do “not” have a bridge to connect to both sides of the hemisphere of the brain.
That is what sets straight people and gay people apart, we as gay people do think differently and yes we are more emotional than straight people.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Here's some research in the field that you might find interesting.

Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture.

It covers both sides of the issue in depth.

ED- spelling.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Your answer is wrong, now you need to do some research. If that is your opinion then let it be known.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Your research stems with a lot (Many different theories.)

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cashlink

I have done the research, and stand by my post.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

In recent decades, many hotly debated topics have come under the scrutiny of sociobiologists, trying to determine their causation and origins. One such topic is homosexuality. Originally thought by the American Psychological Association (hereafter referred to as APA) to be a mental disorder, research into its causes, origins, and development have consequently led to its removal by the APA from its list of diagnoses and disorders [1]. Many different theories can be found regarding the root of homosexuality,

Again this is "theories" not fact are you a psychologist?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Are you a Biologist?

Nurture:

Early childhood seems to be the critical period in which sexual orientation forms, suggesting that learning plays a part in causing homosexuality. Freudians have traditionally held that homosexuality is rooted in early childhood developmental conflicts, particularly the Oedipal conflict. Freudians believe homosexuality develops in response to troubled family relationships, an overly affectionate and dominant mother and a passive father, and/or the loss of one or both parents. However, these theories cannot explain why homosexuality occurs in individuals not coming from these types of families.

More recently, researchers have proposed that social-learning factors may be account for homosexuality. The sexual preference may develop when a child engages in early cross-gender behaviors (behaviors stereotypical of the other sex) or when a teenager's sexual drive emerges during a period of primarily same-gender friendships.

Nature:

Attempts to identify the specific physiological causes of homosexuality have been inconclusive. Traditional physiological theories include too little testosterone in males, too much testosterone in females, prenatal hormonal imbalances, prenatal biological errors due to maternal stress, differences in brain structures, and genetic differences and influences.

[url=http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/CliffsReviewTopic/Sexual-Identity-Orientation-Age-1219.topicArticleId-26831,articleId-26797.html]Source.[/url ]

ED- link problem.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

And i would, unfortunatly however, i dont think that all homosexuals could answer in the way that you have. usually simply stating that "i was born this way" isnt good enough for me. Im seeking more of the science behind the person. "I was born this way" is similar to saying "it simply is", which doesnt really prove anything.

As a lesbian,and a naturally curious person,i've done a lot of research on why some people are gay and i can honestly say,no one has a damn clue!

Saying you are born that way means,to me,that from the time of sexual awakening you have never been attracted to the opposite sex.Thats how i was,just the idea of being intimate with a guy makes me feel sick,always has.Don't get me wrong,i love men and i love their company,but anything more is just bluuuggghhh!

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I get the feeling the OP is very curious about Homosexuality and wants some answers, my answer to you is this, try it you might like it if you don’t then at lease you know what the fuss is all about then you will at lease know that you are really straight after all.

Just coz someone's curious about homosexuality it doesn't automatically mean they want to try it or that they should try it.

Curiosity doesn't equal compulsory active participation.Its also about gaining knowledge and understanding.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I've always thought along the lines that homosexuality was introduced by nature as a means for population control since there would be no reproduction involved.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cashlink

I have to say that gay men and woman brains are like this, they have two sides, a right hemisphere and left hemisphere we as gay people have a bridge between both hemispheres which aloud us to switch naturally back and forth with out even thinking about it. However, straight people do “not” have a bridge to connect to both sides of the hemisphere of the brain.
That is what sets straight people and gay people apart, we as gay people do think differently and yes we are more emotional than straight people.

what exactly are you basing these theories off of?

Both staight men and women have this same "bridges" you speek of, however women have more of them, Thus alowing them to be more emotional than men, and other abilities aswell that men usually lack in. I am friends with a number of gay people, women and men alike. and ive seen plenty of less-emotional lesbians out there. obviously to a degree of course, as not all lesbians are less emotional then male homosexuals. i think your generalizing too much.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I just think its sad there is no research in femininity in straight "men" or masculinity in straight "women", its like it says that there are none of us

I often look at various gay ( male and female) sites, and I feel this warm fuzzy feeling...maybe I feel more connected to the queer community than the "normal"folk

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Mercuryae]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
[I]reply to post by Mercuryae

IM sure there must be some study somewhere about those questions.

Take many reptilian species for example. A lot of reptiles are temperature sex orientated. Meaning that depending on the temperature of incubation can determine whether or not the embryo will become male or female. To make this even more clear, lets go in a certain genus.

Leopard Geckos generally need a 33c temperature to produce both male and female embryos. Temperatures just below 33c, eggs tend to hatch females and duller in color. Temperatures from just above 33c, males are produced and are more colorful. However, that is generally speaking. Many females have hatched in higher temperatures, but, they are usually more aggressive, and more colorful then the average female. And vice versa.

im sure the same logic could be applied to humans, obviously not in the sense of temperature determined sex. But you get my drift. Now to find a source for that information to proof my theory.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I think these issues of sexuality are a matter of degrees, a tipping of the scales one direction or another. To be more precise, I believe that gays/lesbians are born the same as heterosexuals are.

In regard to bisexuals, perhaps some are born "tipping" more one way than another. I've taken these questions up with a good amount of my friends; like most of you, none of us could come up with definative answers either, other than everyone within the group felt their attractions were perceived from the beginning, and NOT some socialization.

There are two friends I have that were married, and then divorced, and the male part of that union believes he was always gay, but repressed that acceptance, due in part to his family's concepts, as well as his own -- his words -- "religious recriminations". The two remain very good friends with each other as well as with my Bride and myself.

To the OP, these are interesting questions and good responses... I think to study the nature of heterosexuality would result in the answers, inasmuch as studying gays or lesbians. I do not believe it is a matter of choice.

I was dismayed a few years ago, when a cruise ship (I believe it was Norwegian) came here to the Cayman Islands. It was advertised as a "gay cruise" and there was a bit of political and religious rabble about it. That is whay dismayed me, not the tourists, but the reaction of a thankfully small part of our population. Much talk on the radio, about choosing to be one thing or another, and smushy Biblical references, and one day I just hit the wall and called in to the radio talk show. I asked this simple question: To you -- person who objects and feels that sexuality is a choice -- I want you to remember back to the time when you made that choice, when you weighed both in your mind and decided to be one way or another. Can you recall this time?

Well, no, of course not. Nobody can recall a time -- at least those I've spoken with -- wherein they weighed the pros and cons of one sexuality or another. Bisexuality perhaps comes closest to this in some ways, but for the most part, most people seem to have inherently "known" what they wanted in a mate, in a companion, in a sexual partner, and it's more than the sexuality itself, it's a perception of self and world. It's a matter of attraction and concepts of love.

For these reasons and others, (quick off-topic plug) I think it is foolish for governmental entities to believe it is ANY of their business whether same-sex or opposite sex couples choose to marry. Marriage is a communion and a partnership, and hopefully it involves joy and sharing of self and each other. I know one thing for certain: It's none of my business, and I don't care one way or another what a person's sexuality is. You be you, I'll be me.

Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

uhg i hate when you post, its always sooo long but i need to read it because its soo right, damn you! lol. thanks again for your input. nicely posted, yet again.

PS: i know of the blue iguana in your avatar. I read the news the day it came out unfortunatly.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Here is something to think about. First, let's identify the possible causes of a person being gay.

1) Environment (Abuse, Mother-figure)
2) Genetic (DNA)
3) Concious Choice

All of these are valid possibilities, and I believe that each individual has different reasons for why they ended up on the life they have, be it straight or gay.

Now, the tricky party. What is the purpose of every species on the planet? To continue the species, aka reproduce. In an isolated environment, "Survival of the Fittest" would kick in, and the gay individuals would die out as a species, as something intrical is missing from their lives. However, society counteracts survival of the fittest, and as such, as no bearing on the individuals well being or ability to survive. Others can carry on the species.

Are they superior? No. I also don't think they are inferior, just other people leading their lives just like I do. However, when you look at it from an evolutionary standpoint, they can be perceived as defective. With the Earth's population where it is, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and possibly a result of the environmental pressures on the human species.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Firstly, I will say that I have many 'gay' friends. For me sexual preference is just that - a preference. Just like some people prefer the color blue and chocolate ice cream, while others like strawberry ice cream and the color red.

One of my gay friends likes all the same things that I do, we see the world that same, read the same books, enjoy the same moves & music, follow the same football team and so on, and so on. The only thing 'different' is our sexuality so it would seem silly to let that one little thing define our friendship.

Sexuality is just one of thousands of little things that make us who we are. I put no bigger importance on one than the other.

Having said that, I do find one thing curious in my own experience with gay friends - and this may be coincidence but of the 5 male gay friends I have, 4 of them were raised solely by their mothers because their fathers abandoned the family early in their lives. Does this account for anything? I don't know for sure but it is intriguing.

To take a dispassionate stance away from the 'human', we see similar things occurring throughout the animal kingdom which we are a part of... even gender reassignment on the extreme side of things.

Some female fish (usually the most dominant) will change their gender when male of the group dies. This happens because nature has a greater need or purpose than the individual themselves.

Their may be a 'higher cause' for sexuality that we don't yet understand.

For instance, homosexuality may be like a release valve for nature or society when populations become to great - thus alleviating the pressure on mother earth or society as a whole... or when males become too great in number for what is necessary - deemed by nature.

I'm not saying that I subscribe to this belief - merely trying to give an example of a higher cause or need than the individual themselves. However, it is food for thought.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter IMHO. The main thing is that we all understand each other, respect each other for our choices and differences as much as the things we hold in common.

All my gay friends 'rock'! I love them all and couldn't imagine them no being a part of my inner circle - or life!

IRM

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join