It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays, medically born Gay? Gays superior to Strieghts?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
After quite some time of reading and discussing the mind and how the brain works in one of my other topics, I had another question pop into my head.

Now, before reading on, I would once again, like to clearly state, that I have nothing against gays what so ever. Some of my best friends are gay. I am not homophobic at all, in fact I was once dragged to a gay bar, which was pretty cool actually cause everyone really seemed to like me. lol.

Anyway, I will constantly state, over and over again during this original post, that I have nothing against gays, or the gay community.

So! Why am I asking this? Because obviously we have gays walking around us, they are one with us in our society, now more than ever. Just, in the past few yes, Gays have been more and more accepted into society. But why are they gay? Is it somewhat natural? Is it maybe a small mutation, or even modification to the brain? Is it possible that our next evolutionary step may even be A-Sexual?

This is what im wondering.

Why might I think its natural? Easy, taking the account that thousands of species on this planet are technically gay. How can I say that? Lets take fish for example; Many kinds of fish are able to change sex, sometimes more than once, in their life time. Mostly this occurs in animals because there is a lack of one gender, in which case, in a short period of time, very short, a single animal would be able to change his/her gender, to in fact become a he/she.

This leads me to think that it could possibly be a mutation or modification in the human brain. A lot of tasks, jobs, or life styles are considered more feminine than others. Thus, if a man were to exceed in one of those tasks, jobs, or life styles, most other men would probably consider him gay. Not always the case no, but there are many tasks, hobs and life styles that gay men tend to be more precise on than straight men.

Why would that occur? Does that mean that Gays may have a more developed brain? Or simply have modification brains similar to that of a female, allowing them to use more of both sides of their brains rather than generally the left (What males use mostly). Could the use of both sides of the brain more readily than a straight man be the reason for Gays acting and doing the things they do?

Once again, im not trying to single out which is better or worse, or if Gays were the sign of the devil, or what have you. I am simply asking a reasonable, and understandable question.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Chemicals have effects on developing the hormone systems of young children. For more information go to this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by elusivetruth
Chemicals have effects on developing the hormone systems of young children. For more information go to this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is what I was thinking as well. If there is a single or group of hormones that "makes" the normal heterosexual attraction, then something must of prohibited its production or absorption.

I'm able to see both the religious and scientific view of this, and not saying I'm right more than anything else, this is more likely than any other explanation.
Chemicals in the brain play a very powerful role in it's function and even the shape of the body itself, no reason it could not effect sexual preference.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I think your sexuality is something spiritual. Not sure why i say this.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Gays superior to straights?

I don't believe anyone's sexual orientation has anything to do with superiority. That which floats your boat has nothing to do with genetics IMO.

Sexual orientation has more to do with upbringing, environmental aspects and exposure.. if you ask me. All of which (again) would have NOTHING to do with being superior.

If you were raised by a very feminine, single mother and has no exposure to ANYTHING besides female issues and females -- cooking, makeup, cleaning, etc -- you'd be lying if you said you wouldn't be HIGHLY influenced by said gender and even take on many characteristics of women in general..

There's nothing biological or genetic about it.

- Mea

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
We had a lot of fun discussing this topic a while back:
Evolutionary Dynamics of Male Homosexuality
I had to ask the mods to close the thread after a while cause peoples hate got out of hand.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Ghost, I am starting to wonder about you. First a thread about women being genetically inferior to men in the intelligence department due to years of neglect and repression. Now, whether being gay is is natural and if so, are gay people superior to straight people. Once again, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.....

I will only state my opinion, because I am now burned out on research from 2 other threads. So, IMO, people are born homosexual just like they are born straight. If not, then we all have to ask ourselves when we made the decision to be what we are. I am a straight woman, and I have never made a conscious decision to be straight. It is just what I am.

We are who and what we are.

As to superiority, in my mind, it is a non-issue. Every human has their own set of problems and issues. No one is superior to anyone else in the general sense.

[edit on 10/5/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

lol, im just a curious guy in the sence of knowledge. I want to know why things work too much, and I want to know this by having a community share their thoughts and facts about the question at hand

Anyway, let me check those other topics out.

Horomones i can understand perfectly fine, However, as stated numerous times in my other topic; The use of both sides of the brain is a ability that women tend to suprime over. This alows them to multi-task easier, along with more comprehensive thinking towards things such as art, music, dance and so on. Now, males tend to use more of their left side of the brain, Focusing more on to the point conversations, mathimatics and so on. Homosexuals, in alot of cases, tend to use and do more things that women would tend to do. so wouldnt that logically mean their brains are more similar to a womans?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

Research....someday, someone is gonna pay.

Source

The brains of gay men resemble those of straight women, according to research published Tuesday that provides more evidence of the role of biology in sexual orientation.

Using brain-scanning equipment, researchers said they discovered similarities in the brain circuits that deal with language, perhaps explaining why homosexual men tend to outperform straight men on verbal skills tests, as do heterosexual women.

The area of the brain that processes emotions also looked much the same in gay men and straight women, and both groups have higher rates of depressive disorders than heterosexual men, researchers said.

continued....

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
woohoo! i was right! thank you very much skeptic, you are my favorite informational provider. lol

PS: I use superior becuase it catches more attention
although it is still a valid question

[edit on 5/10/08 by Ghost147]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Another comparison in brains.....

Source

Gay men tended to have brains that were more like those of straight women than of straight men — the right and left sides were about the same size, the researchers found. Gay women's brains tended to be more like those of straight men than of straight women — the right side tended to be slightly larger than the left.

Makes me stand by my premise that we are born who and what we are.

[edit on 10/5/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I think people get stuck on the "how" or the "why" too much. How are people gay? Why are they gay? Of course this matters, but no one can say for sure yet. I think we need to focus on tolerance, and allowing gay couples to be seen as equal to straight couples when it comes to civil liberties. At the moment it doesn't appear that most can change their sexuality or have a choice as to who they find attractive and connect with emotionally. Homosexuality is not superior to anything, it is nothing more or less than heterosuxality.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

Research....someday, someone is gonna pay.

Source

The brains of gay men resemble those of straight women, according to research published Tuesday that provides more evidence of the role of biology in sexual orientation.

Using brain-scanning equipment, researchers said they discovered similarities in the brain circuits that deal with language, perhaps explaining why homosexual men tend to outperform straight men on verbal skills tests, as do heterosexual women.

The area of the brain that processes emotions also looked much the same in gay men and straight women, and both groups have higher rates of depressive disorders than heterosexual men, researchers said.

continued....

Hmm..so if I like women -Im technically male, yet very feminine- I automatically have a more heterosexual brain?

What about my very masculine gay friend?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Very interesting. So we can technically state that people are litterally born gay. But it leads to another question, hopefully the horomones can tell (reading through the topics). How can we explain people who claim to have all of a sudden, it would seem, to be attracted to the same sex?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercuryae

I am no scientist, and I don't know the answer to those questions. I just looked up the research.

I have gay friends, male and female. Some of the women are as girly-girly as can be. Some of the men are more men's-men than my boyfriend.

People are people and we are what we are. And, I think the world would be a much better place if we just accepted that and quit trying to disect everything. It just gives me a headache......

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
lol, unfortunatly I love disecting things, my mind is set on knowing why things work the way they do. Infact, if we didnt disect things, we would probibly have more hatered because of ignorance. ignorance is not bliss, knoweldge is the key to life. in my eyes atleast
but thank you so much for helping me find that knoweldge this whole time

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Change of sexual orientation.....Source

Most experts agree that sexual orientation is not a choice and, therefore, cannot be changed. Some people who are homosexual or bisexual may hide their sexual orientation and/or live as heterosexuals to avoid the prejudice that exists against people who are homosexual and bisexual or to avoid their own moral dilemmas felt when their sexual orientation is incompatible with their personal beliefs.

And, another link.....Source

As for the "changing of orientation later in life", I don't think that is a genetic change as much as a behavior change.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Why don’t you just ask a gay person, why he is gay like me?
I can tell you that I was born gay, I was never straight! This has nothing to do with the environment or over barren mothers or what ever.
You either like same sex or you don’t, there is nothing to understand, you chose what is going to make you happy.

You know if more people in the world were gay than straight, then we wouldn’t be having this conversation would we. There is no different being born with blur eyes, or black eyes, or black skin, or white skin, to being born straight, or gay.
I am happy with the same sex, I love the same sex. To me having sex with a woman is repulsive, but that is me. I get the feeling the OP is very curious about Homosexuality and wants some answers, my answer to you is this, try it you might like it if you don’t then at lease you know what the fuss is all about then you will at lease know that you are really straight after all.
You know, my dog Dora is gay I have caught her doing it with other females, she has no problems being gay.
Anyway back on topic, I have read somewhere that some cultures did look at gay people as superior, and wanted their children to be raise by these people.
However, I do not think I am superior to straight men. I do think that most gays are educated and make good money though.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The answer to the question of 'Is it genetic or environmental?' is yes. There are both those who are born gay and others whom sexually identify with their mother instead of their father for various reasons. In the gay community there are the butch and effeminate, both in the male and female genders. The 'butch' gay men are the result of female bonding at around 3 years of age, and the 'effeminate' gay males were born that way. Same in the Lesbian community, only opposite. Now as to the question of brain structure and development, I don't know if there is a difference between the two.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Some gay men through history have been very very brilliant. Truman Capote for example wrote a best seller and had in excess of a million dollars when he died. I could name about a hundred others but will save the readers the time. Not to say that there haven't been brilliant and good straight people, and brilliant and good bi people as well.
But now see, all of these are just words. And they're someone others words, not mine. A man who likes other men or another man is traditionally harassed and oppressed by the others around him, and frequently killed. It has been necessary for the gay man to be more intelligent and stay one step ahead. For his own safety and welfare.
Are people born gay? The answer is yes. And there is certainly nothing wrong with that, that just makes a person a little more rare than the average person. A gay can play tennis, drive, buy stocks, swim, shop, vote and anything anyone else can do. Smoke or don't smoke, drink or don't drink. Go to church or don't go to church.
Many years ago, a study was done on the brains of dead gay men in San Francisco, and also on the brains of dead straight men. The difference that was found was that the gay men had a vein in the brain that was "larger" than the same vein in the cadivers of the straight men. that can't tell us much, I mean whether the larger vein helps or hurts we don't know. But that was what the facts were.
Once again, words are just words and all of them are someone others. There was already a dictionary here when all of us were born. I quit college because I didn't want to just be soaking up someones words to repeat like a parrot later. I wanted to have my own ideas, and now I do. Too often someone uses a word, just to try to hurt or frighten someone with and to try to push them down to make their own selves appear in their own eyes, a rung up higher on the ladder. Oh, if it's not just exactly like me, it's something wrong and bad. Oh, if it's not something just exactly like you, it's something wrong and bad.
Is the grass any greener on some side of this fence than the other, I really don't think so, they both have their plusses and their minuses.
Maybe the secret is, to have something kind to say, and do and think about others instead of calling them some derrogatory name or harming them in some way. That, just in my opinion, is the simple essence of Christianity on earth today. Better to do something for anyone than to do something to someone!
Maybe God blesses the oppressed, and most certainly here in recent times, the gays have been ostracised and outcast. Used, hurt, costed, hunted bashed and I could go on, but like I said, I'm unable to be willing to take up too much of the readers time.
Just love thy neighbor, as thyself!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join