It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women genetically less intelligent than Men?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Good point. You can argue both sides of the equation with Helen Keller. One, she was born unable to see, speak, or hear. Yet, later in life, she overcame all three. So, was she gifted with a greater propensity to learn genetically and therefore able to apply that genetic gift when exposed with the opportunities to learn and grow?

With the common denominator, what is "normal" to some isn't to all. Tailoring to that poses a big problem to those who are gifted and to those who are slower.

And, to Mopusvindictous, I understand the reading thing. I got Stephen King's "Talisman" taken away from me by the teacher when I was in third grade. My parents had no problem with my reading level and providing appopriate material, but my school sure did.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Oh yeah... I just point out it's really sad, I never realized how much danger my life was actually in though

In recent years after some... reflection I have sought to speak to professionals about the subject and... I never knew It was quite traumatic...

4 of 5 over an IQ of 140 in some studies... Dead, in Jail, life time dysfunction

It would be wise to come to terms with what in a way is a handicap now

You look young in your photo I would reccomend going into business for yourself for starters... mainstream work poved as difficult for me as achool for many years and at 38 I sorely regret..not having done it alot younger...

I droped out but flirted in and out with college and masters over 8 years

and aside from girls and parties it was a giant waste of 100G and my time... there never was a challenge I was led to belive there would be

and

I droped out of HS too, test scores were just so high I was allowed to go to College lol... a perfect score plus bonus points on GED does wonders... ha, not one question wrong...

me and a chinese kid that got mono in his senior year had to go to an award ceremony for the State of NY...

It was mortifying to say the least.. of all the things to be honored for...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Women's brains are structurally and physiologically different than mens, but both genders are equally intelligent, they just arrive at solutions via different means. Also you must take into account the "nurture" side of things.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Your lucky she let you...

That's where I seriously started acting out

I think there was a time in there I just got fubared everyday for a couple of years, aside from performance and film I never went to a single class ever, just drank when not acting or creating and when I did that I smoked my brains out lol

But what a waste of time

Anyway, I have seen nothing to indicate sex and this kind of intelligence is much of a factor

when your smart enough you learn to control your brain and add to it, absorb things... I think beyond a certain IQ, it's all about manifesting yourself anyway you wish

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
There has never been long term verification that wealthy individuals possess higher IQs than normal, and the research in the UK that was released recently was highly controversial. When you study anything, the causitive factors have to be narrowed. Many studies are done that skew results, because if you think one thing is the cause (ie. eugentics of wealthy families) it could actually be any number of other things, poverty, stress, lack of environment conducive to early learning, flouride, chemical, DU radiation. Who knows. Only studies that rigidly examine all the pausible causes and try to isolate the exact cause being studied are more accurate.
For example an american study on IQ and wealth is very interesting:

www.mindtweaks.com...

I’d expected to find that yes, wealthy people were a bit brighter, and maybe a lot brighter… and that weight had very little to do with intelligence. Studies suggest I’m very wrong....

What they found was that IQ does slightly increase income, but has little impact on actual net worth. Increased IQ does, however, put people at a higher risk for financial problems - things like maxed out credit cards, missed payments, and bankruptcy.

study here

And this is interesting:

en.wikipedia.org...

The average IQ scores for many populations have been rising at an average rate of three points per decade since the early 20th century with most of the increase in the lower half of the IQ range: a phenomenon called the Flynn effect. It is disputed whether these changes in scores reflect real changes in intellectual abilities, or merely methodological problems with past or present testing.

This actually implies that IQ is not static, but perhaps working class weren't interested in doing well on the test and just lazily went through it due to a lack or pertinence (ie. it wasn't going to change their life options so why bother), or that IQ changes and with better living conditions keeps improving, 3 points every decade. That is actually really interestig.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I know a lot of dumb women, and very few smart ones. So, there's your answer.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JediK

From personal experience, I can say the exact same thing about men.

But, that doesn't mean I make sweeping generalizations about a gender.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
Good point. You can argue both sides of the equation with Helen Keller. One, she was born unable to see, speak, or hear. Yet, later in life, she overcame all three.

Helen Keller was perfectly normal as a baby. When she was a toddler she became severely ill, probably scarlet fever, and that left her blind and deaf.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I'm an engineer. I assume you're female - so, can you do math and stuff on the same level I can? Probably not. No offense. There's your answer.

(P.S. Ha! Skeptic1, I'm just messin' with ya...I'm kidding)

[edit on 5-10-2008 by JediK]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I am male, and I would have to say generally speaking, women are actually more intelligent than men. In just about every math class I have taken, and almost as much in any other type of class, in high school and in college, the majority of the students were female.

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean they all have a knack for mathematics, but it certainly illuminates the notion that women better understand the importance of an education!

[edit on 10/5/2008 by prototism]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by prototism

Well, that's Calculus, right? Everybody takes that.

What about...

Vector Calculus
Differential Equations
Calculus II

Nope. Women are filtered out way before then. In engineering, they're usually filtered out by the second year.

The majority of them do NOT have what it takes. There's your answer.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JediK

Ha, Ha....I'll mess with you too; I am an Environmental Engineer with a double degree. One degree satisfies my artistic side (Classical Cultures) and the other satisfies my logical side (Environmental Engineering).

So, yeah, I can do math and science pretty well myself.

Sonya, thanks, I didn't remember that Helen Keller got sick as a toddler.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Some research shown women to be better multitaskers, while men have better focus on one thing. Dont know if its a rule as much as a generality.

For instance, women tend to overall, be better cooks. But when a man IS a cook, hes usually a great chef.

Men get too focussed sometimes, such as when we watch football games and the wife asks us if they look fat in those jeans and we reply, "sure hon".

Regardless, wisdom and common sense is more imortant then knowledge and intelligence.

example:

Intelligence= knowing that its raining, the reason for the rain, and the components that make up a rain drop.

Wisdom= Knowing to stay out of the rain.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

AHH!!! I feel like I just got shot!

Sooo, you can go toe to toe with me, huh? Not many women where I live can do that...

That's cool, though. You've got my respect. Now, if we could multiply you by 1000...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Lack of schooling is a guy thing too.

In the past (and in some countries to this day) if you were poor you either had no education or very little.

When women in Europe were allowed to attend universities,they were not held back by the fact that their female ancestors had no such education.The same with men who came from the lower classes.

And contrary to popular belief the brain is sexless and each one is capable of doing exactly the same things.What effects how we handle situations,for example,is the social world around us.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediK

I'm an engineer. I assume you're female - so, can you do math and stuff on the same level I can? Probably not. No offense. There's your answer.

(P.S. Ha! Skeptic1, I'm just messin' with ya...I'm kidding)

[edit on 5-10-2008 by JediK]

Well in a way your right males do appear to have a beter understanding of math

Scientists working at Johns Hopkins University, recently reporting in the "Cerebral Cortex" scholarly journal (1), have discovered that there is a brain region in the cortex, called inferior-parietal lobule (IPL) which is significantly larger in men than in women. This area is bilateral and is located just above the level of the ears (parietal cortex).

Furthermore, the left side IPL is larger in men than the right side. In women, this asymmetry is reversed, although the difference between left and right sides is not so large as in men, noted the JHU researchers. This is the same area which was shown to be larger in the brain of Albert Einstein, as well as in other physicists and mathematicians. So, it seems that IPL's size correlates highly with mental mathematical abilities. Morphological brain differences in intellectual skills were suspected to exist by neurologists since the times of phrenology (although this was proved to be a wrong approach), in the 19th century. The end of the 20th century has witnessed the first scientific proofs for that.

heres a link
Are There Differences between the Brains of Males and Females?

The current theory is it has little to do with genetics and more to do with hormones

During the development of the embryo in the womb, circulating hormones have a very important role in the sexual differentiation of the brain. The presence of androgens in early life produces a "male" brain. In contrast, the female brain is thought to develop via a hormonal default mechanism, in the absence of androgen. However, recent findings have shows that ovarian hormones also play a significant role in sexual differentiation.

So we are different and i kinda like it that way If males and females thought the same way it would be boring us guys would have nothing to figure out.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JediK

I can go toe to toe with pretty much anyone, but I don't often broadcast my degrees or my IQ. I only do it when challenged.

And, I agree with Calibanvov: wisdom and common sense are moe important than knowledge and intelligence. But, in the right situations, they complement each other beautifully.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JediK

How is that an answer?

There are plenty of men who can't do math at your level,does that make them inferior to you as well?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by Ghost147

lol, might as well just put all of them on it. (i dont actually meen that, lol, just incase anyone thought i did)

Well I do.

This world would be a much much better place if all the Churches burned to the ground.

Sorry for the OT everyone.

I think your mainly thinking about a certain group of religions that seem to be very similar. A few religions simply state that you should be kind and believe in what you want, aid with the problems of the world, and seek inner peace. some religions dont even believe in a god, or, that you are your creator, in a sence. which i think is pretty reasonable.

anyway, no more OT stuff. lol

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

It's an arrogant answer. I don't actually feel that way. In fact, I think women can do just about anything a man can, including being an engineer, or even the President.

I'm just playing with this to prove a point. I figured somebody would come out of nowhere to shoot me down. That would be Skeptic1.

And that proves my whole point. The best way to piss women off is to tell them they can't do something because they're a woman. They will buck back and fight...every single time.

(I really am an engineer, though.)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join