It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephanopoulos: Sources Say Vote "Unlikely" Before Wednesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Stephanopoulos: Sources Say Vote "Unlikely" Before Wednesday

blogs.abcnews.com

ABC's George Stephanpoulos reports: Senate sources say a Senate vote on a bailout bill "unlikely" before Wednesday.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said the Senate will stay in session as long as necessary to get the bailout package passed.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
So it's unlikely it will get passed by wednesday. Wednsday is also the same day the troops come back to the U.S. I'll be expecting a stock crash next week, followed by Martial Law.

Who's ready

blogs.abcnews.com

[edit on 27-9-2008 by MatrixBaller04]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixBaller04
So it's unlikely it will get passed by wednesday. Wednsday is also the same day the troops come back to the U.S. I'll be expecting a stock crash next week, followed by Martial Law.

Who's ready

blogs.abcnews.com

A crash...possible...martial law? How does a stock market crash constitute Martial Law...oh I guess we had Martial Law in 1987. Oh, no wait we didn't. Stop grasping for something that isn't there.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

Who's ready

blogs.abcnews.com

A crash...possible...martial law? How does a stock market crash constitute Martial Law...oh I guess we had Martial Law in 1987. Oh, no wait we didn't. Stop grasping for something that isn't there.

Haha...I guess you missed NSPD 51....

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
May 9, 2007

NATIONAL SECURITY PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE/NSPD 51

HOMELAND SECURITY PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE/HSPD-20

Subject: National Continuity Policy

(1) This directive establishes a comprehensive national policy on the continuity of Federal Government structures and operations and a single National Continuity Coordinator responsible for coordinating the development and implementation of Federal continuity policies. This policy establishes "National Essential Functions," prescribes continuity requirements for all executive departments and agencies, and provides guidance for State, local, territorial, and tribal governments, and private sector organizations in order to ensure a comprehensive and integrated national continuity program that will enhance the credibility of our national security posture and enable a more rapid and effective response to and recovery from a national emergency.

Definitions

(2) In this directive:

(a) "Category" refers to the categories of executive departments and agencies listed in Annex A to this directive;

(b) "Catastrophic Emergency" means any incident, regardless of location, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the U.S. population, infrastructure, environment, economy, or government functions;

This wasn't around back in '87. This was just passed in May 2007.

I bet you feel stupid now.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

No, actually...I feel that you are connecting dots that don't form anything. I'll bet you 700 Billion dollars that martial law is never enacted during the Bush administration. Also, you might want to take an economics course, or learn your history, as in the crash in 1987 the economy actually never really slowed down...my point, the stock market != economy.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

No, actually...I feel that you are connecting dots that don't form anything. I'll bet you 700 Billion dollars that martial law is never enacted during the Bush administration. Also, you might want to take an economics course, or learn your history, as in the crash in 1987 the economy actually never really slowed down...my point, the stock market != economy.

Yea...you try telling that to the militia here, the majority of ATS and other people that know the truth. Our economy is going down the #ter as we speak.

You just wreak of "disinformation agent"

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Yea...you try telling that to the militia here, the majority of ATS and other people that know the truth. Our economy is going down the #ter as we speak.

I'm an economics major actually and I do think the economy is in pretty bad shape, but you have insinuated that a crash constitutes an economic problem, when it doesn't. It's simply an equity sell off. Also, it's "reek" not "wreak." "Wreak" means to cause something, "Reek" means giving off something. And you can think I'm a "disinformation agent" if you want but you'd be wrong, just like you're wrong about martial law. The majority of ATS members don't understand economics and neither do most "militias." If the "militia" in your area is building up for something, that's great use of the 2nd Amendment...but I am willing to bet it won't be exercised.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

I'm an economics major actually and I do think the economy is in pretty bad shape, but you have insinuated that a crash constitutes an economic problem, when it doesn't. It's simply an equity sell off. Also, it's "reek" not "wreak." "Wreak" means to cause something, "Reek" means giving off something. And you can think I'm a "disinformation agent" if you want but you'd be wrong, just like you're wrong about martial law. The majority of ATS members don't understand economics and neither do most "militias." If the "militia" in your area is building up for something, that's great use of the 2nd Amendment...but I am willing to bet it won't be exercised.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by yellowcard]

But what YOU have to understand is some people don't know this. They aren't economics majors. They think when the stock bottoms, it's time to worry. And that's just what people are doing. They are scared and the day they hear about a stock crash, there will be bank runs, gas runs, supply runs, there will be chaos with people fighting over whatever it is they need.

This is civil unrest and I see no reason why Bush wouldn't hesitate to declare Martial Law to bring in troops if # gets too out of hand.

It's not THAT far fetched of an idea.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I don't see total Martial Law as a result of this economic situation realistically. It'd be a stupid move by the PTB, evil or good, no one would stand for it in or out of the country. If that sort of thing happens it will have to be welcomed by the public.

An increase in freedom-suffocating laws is very possible in my eyes though.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Is martial law possible? yes it is
will it be used? likely in localized areas if riots breakout.
Will it be used Nationwide? Only if 80+% of American takes to the streets or Marches on Washington.

Yellowcard i know your an economics major and i respect that. and no offense But when the economy and the stock market are as inter twined as they are today a collapse of wall street will cause a collapse on main street. just from the panic of Wall Street collapsing.

We seen proof of this in WAMU. a 16.7 billion dollar run in 10 days drove the nail in the coffin. why? because depositor got worried their bank wasn't going to survive.

Most people see the banks in trouble as their money is not safe in a bank. there is even a thread here on ATS asking if anyone has or is considering a run on their bank.

new topics

top topics

join