It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicca/Witchcraft/Magick?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Ah I get it now

Ok, my bad!

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by emmy

Funny when you think about it, am I right? At the same time, though, it is quite annoying. What you don't know may actually be the reason you believe such things (like Wicca being a cult and crap like that)!

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OkamiZaku

Who are you actually answering to with the above post?
Definately not Emmy and although it does seem to partly refer to my post, definatley not to me or my post....
So please clarify.

BB
Samuel

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aldolas

Heh!! I wondered this as well, didn't want to make a fool of myself earlier by replying and just agreeing, like I sometimes do in reality. (Nodding, smiling, going 'uh huh!' oops!)

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Aldolas

I think I was just rambling on more than anything...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
OH, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the other guy's opinion.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
You folks are believing in something without any actual evidence. That is irrational. I can't help it if you want to waste your time playing Harry Potter. I wrongly assumed you folks want to deny ignorance (see that written up there in the top-left of your screen?), but I guess you want to revel in it, if it allows you to belong to your little club of witches.

I don't have to cite any evidence, as I'm not espousing anything other than rationality. It is the believers in this thread who need to cough up the evidence, unless you're fine with being irrational.

If you people are here to actually learn, then you need evidence. It's not learning if you take on board someone's baseless assertion as knowledge. It might look like learning, but it's as far from learning as you can get. So, continue to blather on without any evidence, and let everyone out there see just how little you actually want to learn. And you wonder why people have a hard time understanding groups who are interested in such things - to the average person wading through a sea of opinions with no evidence is a laughable folly. To you guys it's business as normal.

I want to learn. That's why I point out the irrational behaviour of others. I want to get to the bottom. I want to learn stuff that can be repeated, that can be used at will, that can be used accurately. Without evidence, none of that is possible. I put it to you that I am trying to learn more about this stuff than anyone else in this thread, as I won't sit back and accept someone's baseless assertion as fact. I'm being rational.

Deny Ignorance. Is there a spell for that?

[edit on 15/10/08 by dave420]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
You folks are believing in something without any actual evidence. That is irrational. I can't help it if you want to waste your time playing Harry Potter. I wrongly assumed you folks want to deny ignorance (see that written up there in the top-left of your screen?), but I guess you want to revel in it, if it allows you to belong to your little club of witches.

I don't have to cite any evidence, as I'm not espousing anything other than rationality. It is the believers in this thread who need to cough up the evidence, unless you're fine with being irrational.

If you people are here to actually learn, then you need evidence. It's not learning if you take on board someone's baseless assertion as knowledge. It might look like learning, but it's as far from learning as you can get. So, continue to blather on without any evidence, and let everyone out there see just how little you actually want to learn. And you wonder why people have a hard time understanding groups who are interested in such things - to the average person wading through a sea of opinions with no evidence is a laughable folly. To you guys it's business as normal.

I want to learn. That's why I point out the irrational behaviour of others. I want to get to the bottom. I want to learn stuff that can be repeated, that can be used at will, that can be used accurately. Without evidence, none of that is possible. I put it to you that I am trying to learn more about this stuff than anyone else in this thread, as I won't sit back and accept someone's baseless assertion as fact. I'm being rational.

First off all what is your obsession with Harry Potter? I mean sure I have read the books they were interesting. Although nothing in them even comes close to Wicca. Also if Harry Potter is your best example for an insult maybe you should try a little harder. The Craft, the movie, was closer to Wicca then any other movie I have seen. Yet it was still set in the Hollywood frame of mind.

You say give you prove. I agree I want prove to. This is why I go out and discover these things on my own. I don't wait for a faceless name in a forum to provide it for me. We haven't given you any proof because we all have found it on our own. We don't need someone to do it for us.

Religion is based off of faith. I can no more prove that when an Islamic person dies that there will be 72 virgins waiting for them then I can prove that there is a mother Goddess and father God. That is why it is called faith. It isn't a science. Science requires absolute proof and evidence. So since this is a thread about a religion based on faith and spiritual awareness take it for what it is.

You say you want to deny ignorance and learn, well great I wish there were more people like that. Coming in here and pointing fingers and calling names will not help you learn though. If you would like to learn about Wicca then start asking questions instead of name calling. There are some knowledgeable people in this thread that can and will answer your questions. As long as your sincere and not mocking us. I challenge you and anyone else to challenge us in an appropriate manner.

I never had and never will say that Wicca is absolutely right. I challenge my faith all the time. One thing I wont do is judge someone based on there beliefs. This is what you are doing judging us because our views don't agree with yours. If you would like to discuss Wicca and other religions I'm all for it but please be respectful to other people. Just because you think its silly doesn't make it wrong.

I want to learn stuff that can be repeated, that can be used at will, that can be used accurately.

What is it you want to learn? I mean do you want to learn blessings, about rituals, or about something completely unrelated?

I bless my food everyday. That is something that almost everyone of ever faith does repeatedly and accurately.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

First off, in my opinion, you still need to learn some manners.

Secondly, I totally agree with Hilbert. What sort of evidence are you looking for? Give examples instead of bashing people. As Hilbert says, it's a religion, not a science. Science needs numbers, facts, basis, theories etc... since when does any religion have this? No offence to any Christians here, but who can actually say Jesus existed? Just as an example, ok? Sure, it's in the Bible, all written on paper for hundreds, or thousands of years, yet it's going by the word of people before us.

Just because you're trying to use bigger words than usual to make yourself seem either a) superior, or b) highly intelligent... doesn't wash with me. To me you're just playing damn arrogant and ignorant. You need to learn how to use tact, if anything.

So, hey, if I find the secret of immortality and levitation - i'll be sure to upload a video to youtube just for you, mate...
(grow up)... I've suddenly realised what my second heading should be on my avatar, i'll be back...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You folks are believing in something without any actual evidence. That is irrational.

You're debunking something without any actual evidence. That too is irrational.

I can't help it if you want to waste your time playing Harry Potter. I wrongly assumed you folks want to deny ignorance (see that written up there in the top-left of your screen?), but I guess you want to revel in it, if it allows you to belong to your little club of witches.

OK, what is it with you in Harry Potter? Saying things like "You guys are just reading too much Harry Potter." isn't being intelligent in the least bit, and it sure as heck isn't "Denying Ignorance". Wicca isn't a witch club. It's not a cult. This is not Scientology. It has been around long before Harry Potter. How about you do some research yourself instead of trying to make us look for "undeniable proof" (which is pointless to do, because it is blatantly obvious enough that we have proof that you can't seem to be open-minded to)? And, just for the information, I have never read a Harry Potter book in my life.

I don't have to cite any evidence, as I'm not espousing anything other than rationality.

Oh, is that so? Sometimes, it is the skeptics that are not being rational about it (which is the case here).

It is the believers in this thread who need to cough up the evidence, unless you're fine with being irrational.

Actually, it is the other way around.

If you people are here to actually learn, then you need evidence. It's not learning if you take on board someone's baseless assertion as knowledge. It might look like learning, but it's as far from learning as you can get.

And just how do you know it is "baseless assertion"? And I am learning otherwise. There are many sources out there. And if you say something like, "Is Harry Potter one of them?", then you really shouldn't have a reason to say anything.

So, continue to blather on without any evidence, and let everyone out there see just how little you actually want to learn.

You keep on thinking that.

And you wonder why people have a hard time understanding groups who are interested in such things - to the average person wading through a sea of opinions with no evidence is a laughable folly. To you guys it's business as normal.

Oh, I don't wonder that at all. I'm sure if I knew very little about Christianity, and had no evidence other then their so-called "sea of opinions" and the Bible, I'm sure I would be just as irrational as you if I didn't take the time to try to understand it in more ways then one.

I want to learn. That's why I point out the irrational behaviour of others. I want to get to the bottom. I want to learn stuff that can be repeated, that can be used at will, that can be used accurately. Without evidence, none of that is possible. I put it to you that I am trying to learn more about this stuff than anyone else in this thread, as I won't sit back and accept someone's baseless assertion as fact.

That's a good logic and was very well thought out, but you're going in the wrong direction. When it comes to this stuff, evidence is hardly needed, unless you want to be what you call, "rational". There are so many things we do not know yet, and some things we will never be able to learn. Belief is power.

I'm being rational.

*Cough* Yeah. Right.

Oh, lord. I actually laughed at that, just like I did with your posts, and probably this thread in a matter of days.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by hILB3rT

First off all what is your obsession with Harry Potter? I mean sure I have read the books they were interesting. Although nothing in them even comes close to Wicca. Also if Harry Potter is your best example for an insult maybe you should try a little harder. The Craft, the movie, was closer to Wicca then any other movie I have seen. Yet it was still set in the Hollywood frame of mind.

You say give you prove. I agree I want prove to. This is why I go out and discover these things on my own. I don't wait for a faceless name in a forum to provide it for me. We haven't given you any proof because we all have found it on our own. We don't need someone to do it for us.

Religion is based off of faith. I can no more prove that when an Islamic person dies that there will be 72 virgins waiting for them then I can prove that there is a mother Goddess and father God. That is why it is called faith. It isn't a science. Science requires absolute proof and evidence. So since this is a thread about a religion based on faith and spiritual awareness take it for what it is.

You say you want to deny ignorance and learn, well great I wish there were more people like that. Coming in here and pointing fingers and calling names will not help you learn though. If you would like to learn about Wicca then start asking questions instead of name calling. There are some knowledgeable people in this thread that can and will answer your questions. As long as your sincere and not mocking us. I challenge you and anyone else to challenge us in an appropriate manner.

I never had and never will say that Wicca is absolutely right. I challenge my faith all the time. One thing I wont do is judge someone based on there beliefs. This is what you are doing judging us because our views don't agree with yours. If you would like to discuss Wicca and other religions I'm all for it but please be respectful to other people. Just because you think its silly doesn't make it wrong.

I want to learn stuff that can be repeated, that can be used at will, that can be used accurately.

What is it you want to learn? I mean do you want to learn blessings, about rituals, or about something completely unrelated?

I bless my food everyday. That is something that almost everyone of ever faith does repeatedly and accurately.

You, sir, are very intellegent. Enough said.

Originally posted by emmy
reply to post by dave420

First off, in my opinion, you still need to learn some manners.

Secondly, I totally agree with Hilbert. What sort of evidence are you looking for? Give examples instead of bashing people. As Hilbert says, it's a religion, not a science. Science needs numbers, facts, basis, theories etc... since when does any religion have this? No offence to any Christians here, but who can actually say Jesus existed? Just as an example, ok? Sure, it's in the Bible, all written on paper for hundreds, or thousands of years, yet it's going by the word of people before us.

Just because you're trying to use bigger words than usual to make yourself seem either a) superior, or b) highly intelligent... doesn't wash with me. To me you're just playing damn arrogant and ignorant. You need to learn how to use tact, if anything.

So, hey, if I find the secret of immortality and levitation - i'll be sure to upload a video to youtube just for you, mate...
(grow up)... I've suddenly realised what my second heading should be on my avatar, i'll be back...

I don't think he's trolling or anything, I think he's just being close-minded myself.

That was also a very smart reply, and is what I would like to call "rational". I guess people have different thoughts of what "rational" is!

Also, yes, Deny Arrogance. Hilarious!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Well this thread has been derailed and I would like to get it back on track.

What are your plans for the Samhain?

This is my favorite Sabbath by far. I have all ways enjoyed this time of year but until a few years ago I never truly knew why I enjoyed it, beyond being a Libra. I found out that I have the ability to communicate with spirits and now is the time that it is the strongest(for obvious reasons I hope). I will be visiting a few graveyards (during daylight hours to be respectful of the law and owners) and providing offerings of bread, corn, and wine (or mead) to those that have past. I will be giving them my blessings and hopefully a few will be present. I'm really excited. I won't be taking a camera, but I will be taking a pen and paper to write what I see/feel while I am there.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts for the trip?

edit: OkamiZaku, thanks for the comment. My g/f often calls me a genius but I think she is being facetious

[edit on 17-10-2008 by hILB3rT]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by hILB3rT

Aaah. Another misguided, irrational person. Communicating with spirits? Where is your evidence? In fact, where is there evidence for anyone being able to communicate with spirits?

This thread is full of fun. Apparently, anyone can make anything up, and hey-presto, new 'facts' are born.

Hilarious.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

reply to post by hILB3rT

Aaah. Another misguided, irrational person. Communicating with spirits? Where is your evidence? In fact, where is there evidence for anyone being able to communicate with spirits?

This thread is full of fun. Apparently, anyone can make anything up, and hey-presto, new 'facts' are born.

Hilarious.

Why should I prove it to you? you have done nothing but ridicule and mock us. Your trolling this thread for what purpose? I have seen spirits from the time I was eight. There is no way for me to prove it to you on this thread if you would like to come visit me I would gladly take you with me, but out of respect I will not take pictures. Heck I wish I had the picture with my spirit guide blocking the camera's view of me. I don't like my picture taken.

Go away you are becoming highly annoying and I am alerting the mods to your trolling.

edit: If what we are talking about bothers you so much why do you keep coming back? What are you gaining other then the satisfaction of derailing the thread?

[edit on 17-10-2008 by hILB3rT]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hILB3rT

It's not trolling. The name of the forum is 'paranormal studies', and I'm here to try to learn something. But as I told you in the U2U you sent me, all I can see is people passing off baseless hypotheses as actual hard fact.

I'm the only person in this thread actually trying to keep to the facts. Everyone else seems to be happy running around making stuff up. Technically everyone else is trolling, as they refuse to demonstrate the facts they present.

And if you could prove anything magical, you'd be the first person in the world to do so. I hope you can, as it would be a massive day for both science and paranormal studies.

I think the old phrase is 'put up or shut up'. I'm here to learn, but to learn you need evidence to learn from. Not stories and wishful thinking.

So please, go get the mods. I'll tell them exactly what I told you. I'm here to learn, and everyone else is off playing Harry Potter making stuff up as they go.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The only evidence you need is to try it out yourself. That's all I can say.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

What facts have you provided? I have seen now other then you think you know what Harry Potter is about? I never claimed to be able to do anything magical. Seeing the spirits of the dead is not magical in any way. I never claimed to be able to walk through walls or shoot fireballs from my hand. Once again you are doing nothing but derailing this thread and mocking the members involved in it.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I'm the only person in this thread actually trying to keep to the facts.

Emphasis on "trying".

Everyone else seems to be happy running around making stuff up.

Why don't you try to look for evidence yourself? I had to do this, and it worked out a lot better.

Technically everyone else is trolling, as they refuse to demonstrate the facts they present.

Honestly, I don't think anyone is trolling here.

I'm here to learn, and everyone else is off playing Harry Potter making stuff up as they go.

OK, now I'm losing my patience here. Go ahead and continue to say this "Harry Potter" stuff. Go ahead and try to birng this off topic. We're not listening.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well I put Dave420 on my ignore list and I am moving on. I am logging for the weekend( I don't use the computer during the weekend). Lets move past this person and continue with the thread.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by hILB3rT
What are your plans for the Samhain?

You mean All Hallow's Eve? Well, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. I need to erect an alter and stuff, I have to learn more about Wicca (by continuing to read my book), and I have to see what I am to do on that day. Any advice on what I am to do or what yo think I should do?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join