It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicca/Witchcraft/Magick?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I don't know if this belongs in the right thread or not. Bear with me here. >.>

Anways, so I picked up an interest in the occult, and I'm currently reading a book called "The Wicca Hanbook" by Eileen Holland.

I'd like to know, do you know any white magic/black magic/ pyromancy/ hydromancy/ aeromancy/ geomancy/ etc.???

And please leave good comments on wehter it is a good idea or not, b/c I'm trying to be as open-minded as possible about this.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What do you mean by "know any" do ya mean a book or something?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Are you assuming that people will rush here and tell you everything you want to know? Please, ask and perhaps someone will answer. But I know nothing.

Sincerely,

-v

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'll do the prudent thing and tell you not to mess with it.

This is a public service message.

Peace

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Unfortunately most people take up an interest in the Occult and Esoteric subjects expecting to be able to do spells and what not, but unfortunately the occult is more about knowledge. Movies and tv with shows like charmed and the craft have painted this image of the occult as something it is truly not,

But my advice, if you are truly interested in becoming a student of the arts, is perhaps tracking down either ISIS UNVEILED by Helena Petrenov Blavatsky or the books on OCCULT PHILOSOPHY by Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa. These books will give you a good insight into the occult arts and paint a very real picture of what you can expect.

by the way have been a lurker on these forums for a while but finally joined up so Hey All

Edited: Typo's

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Mathyn Rain]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think Mathyn Rain brought up some good points. i would try to forget everything you ever saw in a movie about the occult. Some of it is close to the truth but trying to learn about it from Hollywood wont get you anywhere.

edit: as it was pointed out half the post made no sense. So why leave it =)

[edit on 26-9-2008 by hILB3rT]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hILB3rT

Originally posted by hILB3rT
Hope that makes sense.

Sorry but it didn't, because:

One thing I would like to say is that the whole good/bad white/black magic is bs

then...

Now put that electricity in a hand held gun and it can be used as a deadly weapon.

and yet you say...

So it all boils down to the way you use it.

Might wanna rephrase?
Or it would seem like you would contradict your "black/white magic is bs" statement.

But hey, I agree wholeheartedly with this:

I think Mathyn Rain brought up some good points. i would try to forget everything you ever saw in a movie about the occult. Some of it is close to the truth but trying to learn about it from Hollywood wont get you anywhere.

Sincerely,

-v

[edit on 26-9-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
LOL o.k.

Let me see.....using our imagination for a sec.

Two people in the woods both can shoot fire out there hands. One uses it to light a fire for warmth and cooking. On the other hand the other person uses this same ability but to kill the other person for whatever reason. Now the 'magic' used wasn't good or bad, but the people using it were the good/bad. So its not necessarily white or black but how you use it.

Does that make a little more sense?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hILB3rT

Oh yes, lot better thank you
And from now on we should talk about black- and white magicians, not about black- or white magick. I understand this.

-v

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Good point about the magicians. Sorry for the confusion earlier. Sometimes I'm the only one that understands my thoughts. Go figure lol.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hILB3rT

Hey no problem. It was I who didn't get it, as usually btw. I quite clearly understood it once you point it out for dummies like me too

-v

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
OkamiZaku

Hey, when I was a young'un (lol yes, a long time ago it seems now! 11 whole years!) I got into the whole 'wicca' thing as it was the 'in thing'.

However since then, a whole year later it took me to actually realise that I was in fact just blind to what the Occult actually had to offer, and since then, I actually bought Occult books out of interest and wanting knowledge and to understand what some people dedicate their lives to (in reference to Wicca etc)

Anyways, since then, and my thirst for knowledge, I've a wide array of books, but nothing beats (in my opinion) Scott Cunningham, "Wicca, A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner!) www.llewellyn.com... - in case you wanted to buy it online. But he does some pretty neat stuff.

From that, though, I went on to buy angel cards, tarot cards, palmistry kit, healing stones etc...so yeah, it opened up a lot of doors for me to explore. Hopefully it'll do the same for you! Of course, though, don't be open minded and then go astray in search for the 'wrong kind of magick' or so to speak. It's not big, and it certainly isn't clever. Yes, I can't deny that it didn't intrigue me, but I kept well clear. Don't let the Hollywood vibes give you false pretenses, ok?

Apart from that, explore your new world

Emmy x

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OkamiZaku

Hey there,

Well, after reading the posts your thread has received so far I see that 'Martyn Rain' has offered some sound advise and 'Emmy' is a woman of taste ... Scott Cunningham is a good source of info because he doesn't peddle poo ! Great for beginners.

To answer you original question;

(i) pyromancy = working with the " fire " elemental energies

(ii) hydromancy = " water "

(iii) aeromancy = " air "

(iv) geomancy = " earth "

You might find some of the info on my website helpful ... I designed it especially for beginners to help them avoid the minefield of total c*#p out there (just click the link in my signature below if you're interested ... there's another link on there to bring you straight back to ATS when you're done)

Woody

[edit on 26-9-2008 by woodwytch]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Howdy! I didn't have any guidance when I bought the first Scott Cunningham book. Just seemed easier to read
- that's just how I got into it!
Ah cool, didn't realise you had a website, must go have a lookie!

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hey there emmy,

Your intuition obviously steered you well ... it's an absolute minefield out there trying to find books on the subject that give good clear guidance.

Other books that I would recommend to newcomers to the craft are;

'Living Wicca' by Scott Cunningham

'Embracing The Moon' by Yasmine Galenorn

'Making Magick' by Edain McCoy

Woody

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
My wife has recently been very interested in these topics as well and while I recommended readings from my past...

Crowley, Agrippa, and even Castaneda she found "The book of Lies" published by DisInfo to be of great help in getting a basic understanding of some of the magickal principals.

There is much out there and a lot of it is useless rubbish, but there definitely are some gems to be discovered. If you take your time and go with what feels right you will find the type of magick and divination that works best for you.

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This thread has great potential, so I figure as OkamiZaku is considering, or in the least curious, about a future in the esoteric arts, we at least owe him/her the stories of how we ourselves started.

Myself, many a moon ago, I was studying to become a pastor within my local church down here in the Gold Coast (Australia).As I was still quite young (17) I still associated with friends from high school and through a friend of a friend I had found myself in an extremely serious relationship with a Hellenic Pagan.

Long story short, she had opened my eyes to world I had not known. Christianity preached against paganism but had they listened to what they had to say? I began to see the world from "the other side of the fence", and so began my quest for knowledge.

Regrettably a year after proposing marriage, she has left me, but my obsession has not.

Regardless.....my quest for knowledge began where most do, in the Apocryphal and Pseudepigraphal writings, most notably the Book of Enoch and began my search for the truth.

I found myself reading all of Agrippa's, Crowley's, Dee's and Blavatsky's works, and I found myself deeply immersed in the Goetia and other grimoires attributed to Solomon.

To be honest, OkamiZaku, after many many years of commitment and obesession, I now know 3 languages and spend all my days and nights sitting in my library knowing after it all, one fact...

The world we see, is not the world you know.

Blessed be to you my friend and I hope somewhere in this post you might find the inspiration to step through what 'you are supposed to believe' and
find something that you truly believe. But be ye warned, what is merely a casual hobby can truly become obesession.

I will continually visit this thread so if you have any questions feel free to ask, and I truly recommend visting "Woodwytch's" site as I can guarantea it is truly a great place to start your search for whatever it is you are seeking..

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mathyn Rain

WOW, a public recommendation and from such an eloquent new member. If it is inspiration that the OP seeks I think your post will promt him to seek the knowledge.

BTW, you do realize that now I know you are not a novice I shall be expecting to see some contributions on my site I'm sure my members would be intrigued to hear your story.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Woodwytch, In the spirit of sharing (while I visit your site once again, great site
), I would love to know the story of how you found yourself in the world of higher thought and belief.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Mathyn Rain]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mathyn Rain

Well I have came to notice that most people who discover their innate spirituality or psychic gifts often do so after a severe illness or life-trauma.

In a nutshell I discovered mine after the latter ... when I gave birth to my stillborn son in 1989 my life changed forever. Callum's birth (whilst initially the most traumatic thing I'd ever expeienced), actually became the most enlightening experience I'd ever had.

From the moment I held that little boy in my arms I have never looked back ... and I truly believe that he was never meant to live ... his only purpose for coming to me at that time was to give me the kick up the bum I needed and force me to wake-up to the 'bigger picture' ... and I will always be grateful to him for that.

I think this proves that even the most mind-numbingly painful situations can emerge into something more positive than you could ever imagine possible. I always used to say that I became a 'Born Again Pagan' ... and with my experience of pastlives that was actually very accurate.

Woody

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join