It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooling Banned in California as State Turns Parents Into Criminals for Teaching Their Own Chil

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GordonJQ

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

You forget that there are personal and religious reasons as to why some parents prefer their kids to be homeschooled.

Religious and personal reasons like...

"Earth is 6,000 years old! Burn anyone at the stake who says different!!!"
or
"Blacks are less then whites! I won't be having you go to some school that lets monkeys in it!"

Yeah, I can see why States and Colleges would be a bit reluctant to let parents teach their kids. Or lets say not as extreme...

"The Civil War was a war of Northern Agression and the blacks should still be slaves!"
or
"Hitler did nothing wrong!"

Again, you can see where the State or Colleges may be wary.

Moot points dude.

If a parent believed those things, he would tell them to his child regardless if that child attended a public school, or learned at home.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by NOTurTypical]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

You realise that in many places on this planet, the word realise is spelt realise.

Try this for some self-education: Open up Microsoft Word, deliberately type in a word that's spelt wrong. Right click that word and take a look at the menu, which will allow you to select the Language option. You mind find another whole world exists outside of the USA.

CoffinFeeder is from Illinois.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thank goodness. Hopefully, this will go nationwide.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

How long until this is implemented in all states across the US? I guess they think parents are teaching our children the "wrong" things.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

How do you know that they aren't? This seems entirely reasonable to me, if I were a university I wouldn't accept a kid that went through high school at home getting taught whatever his parents thought were important.

With the fear of terrorists rampant, I'd have to agree with you there.

That's why I feel it's a great idea, for the good of everyone in our country.

No matter what the parents are teaching the children at home, they'll get the opportunity to learn the views of many different people which will usually impact their decisions for the better.

It's about damn time.

(I predicted this two years ago...)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Oh, for god's sakes. I guess drug corporations can't make money off of drugging the home schooled kids into mindless robots, so something must be done! Force them into public schools! Their they can be stripped of their identities and walk through life, in a blind "bliss," or "darkness," induced by Psychotrophic drugs.

I loved my friends and everything in public school, but I don't know, if I had kids, I wouldn't want to send them to school in this day and age. I have watched the Psych department of school badger my nephews too much. It's disgusting.

If I have anything to do with it, slime like the corrupt souls who have infiltrated the medical fields will be ousted from power. Take your dirty profits and give them back to the people you damaged. Go to work for the garbage company, because that's where you belong.

Troy

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Oh, for god's sakes. I guess drug corporations can't make money off of drugging the home schooled kids into mindless robots, so something must be done! Force them into public schools! Their they can be stripped of their identities and walk through life, in a blind "bliss," or "darkness," induced by Psychotrophic drugs.

On the flip side of that thought:
maybe now cults like the polygamists, who home-school their children, will no longer be able to BRAINWASH their children into believing that unless they marry and old fart, who has many other young wives as well, they won't be allowed to go to Heaven when they die...

So you see, it's not always a bad thing, allowing children to view many different opinions other than their parent's. You never really know what sort of crap is breeding in a helpless child's brain behind closed doors.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmariebored

maybe now cults like the polygamists, who home-school their children, will no longer be able to BRAINWASH their children into believing that unless they marry and old fart, who has many other young wives as well, they won't be allowed to go to Heaven when they die...

So you see, it's not always a bad thing, allowing children to view many different opinions other than their parent's. You never really know what sort of crap is breeding in a helpless child's brain behind closed doors.

Sorry Mary,

The article, as I stated before, has a misleading date. The latest ruling was in favor of the homeschoolers. Stereotypes will not work against the hard evidence showing that homeschoolers out perform their peers in public schools. This was most painfully obvious when the children of the least educated parents( those who had not even graduated from high school) were compared. The negative and often untrue stereotypes just show the abuse children from unusual backgrounds would be forced to endure in a public school setting. The negative stereotypes do not make a case against homeschooling; they make a case for homeschooling.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown

Originally posted by mmariebored

Sorry Mary,

The article, as I stated before, has a misleading date. The latest ruling was in favor of the homeschoolers. Stereotypes will not work against the hard evidence showing that homeschoolers out perform their peers in public schools. This was most painfully obvious when the children of the least educated parents( those who had not even graduated from high school) were compared. The negative and often untrue stereotypes just show the abuse children from unusual backgrounds would be forced to endure in a public school setting. The negative stereotypes do not make a case against homeschooling; they make a case for homeschooling.

Funny, they thought gays would never be allowed to marry...we'll see.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mmariebored

This is a topic on homeschooling not homosexuality. Rest assured there are homosexuals who are homeschooling their own children for a variety of reasons. There is ,however, a connection between bigotry and the desire to force all children to go to public schools; the KKK tried to ban Catholic parocial schools on the basis that they were afraid that Catholics would not be assimilated into protestant culture. Bigots use public schools to pigeon hole the children of groups they do not care about. This is why American public schools are the worst in the developed world.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by eradown]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

TextAccording to Dacus, the ruling goes against prior court decisions. "Case law in federal court and by the U.S. Supreme Court [has] already recognized that parents have a fundamental right over the education of their children," he points out. "And in fact, the lower-court judge in this decision ... actually ruled that these parents had a constitutional right to home school their children. But it was reversed by this three-judge panel in this appellate court."

www.onenewsnow.com...

Unbelievable. This is another violation to the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. This NWO international banking consortium will stop at nothing to achieve world domination. A revolution is in order here before we are Americans are totally programmed/controlled from Pre-K through University.

Form a coalition and demand the Supreme Court uphold the US Constitution and our Bill of Rights.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAttackPeople
Again, OP is old news from March and completely out-of-date.

On August 8, 2008 the Appeals Court reversed its earlier decision on home schooling by uncredentialed tutors, reestablishing the legal right for parents to home school.

The decision is an interesting read. Here it is if you care to know the details of the case...

www.telladf.org...

Brilliant!!!! Thank you!
I'm on my lunch break now and was about to go looking for information about this being overturned, but you've got it right here. I'm so relieved.

Close one people! You're damn lucky you didn't loose this right.

Although this could be expected from the government, I'm a little surprised that there are people out there who want to march into other peoples lives uninvited and impose their beliefs over those of parents about what is best for children. What a nightmare!

Be watchful.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

That's a real nice viewpoint you got there, side with the NWO much ?

You do realize don't you that "my children" are exactly that "my children".

They are not my children in the sense that they belong to me, rather in the sense that i conceived them, decided to have them, carried them for nine months and gave birth to them. The United States did not have them, i did, therefore they are "my children".

I am far from being "merely their guardian" i am their mother. And as their mother it is my responsibilty to make sure that they are protected, well taken care of, healthy in every way, safe, happy, receive a proper education and a good set of moral values. These things are a parents responsibilties, not the states.

It is not the states responsibility to make sure that a child's needs are met, it is the parent's responsibilty. The state may play a role if children are abused, or neglected, but that's as far as it goes. The logic that the state can not tell me what to do with my children is very much true, the state has no claim to any child.

Yes they are citizens of the United States, they are not the property of the United states. The United States did not give me the responsibilty of caring for my children, i did. The minute that i chose to have my children, I voluntarily took on the responsibilty of their care, the US had nothing at all to do with that.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienj
reply to post by SonicInfinity

That is part of no child left behind the Obama and the left wants to get rid off. People who homeschool get a 2500 credit to buy school supplies and books, if you go to a public school then the goverment gets that cash. Democrats want all the cash they can get for all there be whoever you want to be programs even at the expense of our childs education. It happening here in Alaska. Begiegch or Begbitch however you want to pronounce it, wants to get rid of no child left behind up here too.

I have no idea where you got the idea that homeschoolers get a tax credit. They get nothing. In fact, there is a $500 deduction that teachers can take for any supplies they purchase for their classrooms and the rules for taking this deduction specifically say that homeschool parents do not count. It's rediculous. Homeschooling can be very expensive, and yet, it's a mere fraction of what we're paying per pupil at the public schools. I would say that I"m homeschooling for less than $700 per year and possibly less than $600 and that's with 2 students. My most expensive item is Rosetta Stone spanish. Level 1 alone cost $219.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It(He,She) impresses the violence created in the same family...

The parents are creators of the procedure of respect ... and the children THE MOLDS of the PARENTS...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm a homeschooler in California and the editor of a homeschooling magazine. I'm happy to say that this article is completely incorrect. For more information on homeschooling in California and some recent (unsuccessful) attacks on our legal rights to teach our children, please take a gander here:

www.madeditor.com...

--Deborah Markus
Editor, Secular Homeschooling Magazine

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

now how is the state suposed to produce accepting dumbed down drones if parents keep interfering by actually teaching these kids stuff ..like srsly !?!

parents should stop trying to interfere in the governments control

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
watch a documentary called Jesus Camp.

then you will realize how some people can manipulate and brainwash their children.

Homeschooling is awful. Kids need to be somewhat exposed to society.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
It is a fact that the public school system was created to grow an easily manipulated working class that could sit still for hours on end doing repetitive, mindless tasks.

I regret saying it is a fact because I do not have the time to dig up links to these facts. Do a little digging yourself.

I grew up in Chicago and went to public grade school and one semester of public high school. If I had not started homeschooling I would have at best turned out to be a d-bag with a #ty job that only cares about the outcome of the next sporting game. More likely I would have sunk into the drug underworld, I started to, in that first semester.

I have a feeling the only reason that I was able to live through grade school was because I was part of a magnate program that sucked kids with great test scores out of mediocre schools and bused them across the city to learn with other "smart kids". I see now that, although this program worked out for me, it significantly dumbed down all of the other schools.

I think a parent has a lot more riding on the proper education of a child than an underpaid teacher trying to corral 30-40 miscreants.

Any child can learn more, sitting at home and reading books for six hours than they can attending a state run school.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Synyster

That's unfair. The parents in Jesus Camp are unfit to raise children--period. One bad apple does not spoil the bunch.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Kids need to be somewhat exposed to society.

I am a bit offended by this statement everytime I hear it or in this case, read it.

My wife and I home school our daughter, and you are grouping me, and others, into a "not receiving the social interaction" line. I hear it constantly from people that just don't get why I chose this route of education for my daughter.

So here is my example: Right now my daughter is studying Ancient Eygpt and the pyramids, so after the lessons we haul off and head to the local museum during "School hour" and guess what you find there?

A few exibits on Eygpt and a whole mess of home schooled kids, hmmm kinda throws the whole " No social interaction" out the window doesn't it?

Should I be teaching my daughter proper grammer, spelling and sentence structure? My truthful anwser is No. Why? Because I am horrible at it, and I know it, one of the other Parents do that for me. In return I teach Math, Music and Art, Now guess what just happened there....I picked her friends and Teachers. Thats not a option in Public schools.

The program we are in has lesson plans and from what I understand, in short, there are some schools that have been asking for the lesson plans that we are given to teach.

To the OP I am sorry that I kinda drifted off topic a bit and I from what I read it looks like it was shot down and I am dancing a lil jig for home schoolers in CA.

Do I think we need teaching certificates to teach my child? I am on the fence on that question.

I do have the utmost respect for teachers, they really have to love their jobs to be groslly underpaid, understaffed and overworked.

Boy did I ramble on about this topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join