It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooling Banned in California as State Turns Parents Into Criminals for Teaching Their Own Chil

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Homeschooling Banned in California as State Turns Parents Into Criminals for Teaching Their Own Children

www.naturalnews.com

(NaturalNews) A California appeals court has ruled that homeschooling of children is illegal unless their parents have teaching credentials from the state.

"California is now on the path to being the only state to deny the vast majority of homeschooling parents their fundamental right to teach their own children at home," said Michael Smith, president of the Home School Legal Defense Association.

The court overturned a lower court's finding that homeschooling did not constitute a violation ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
How long until this is implemented in all states across the US? I guess they think parents are teaching our children the "wrong" things. What can parents possibly be missing when they're teaching instead?

"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation," Croskey wrote.

Oh, that's right, children don't learn the essentials of "obeying authority without question". I wonder how long it will be until this has been implemented throughout the nation.

www.naturalnews.com

[edit on 9/23/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

How long until this is implemented in all states across the US? I guess they think parents are teaching our children the "wrong" things.

www.naturalnews.com

How do you know that they aren't? This seems entirely reasonable to me, if I were a university I wouldn't accept a kid that went through high school at home getting taught whatever his parents thought were important.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It wont be long before every state (taxing entity) follows suit. How dare anyone educate the children (future tax payers) other than the great state (taxing entity).

Whoever thought allowing, even asking for, the state (taxing entity) to educate the children was nothing short of satan. How in the world anyone would consider that to be a GOOD idea is beyond me.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

You forget that there are personal and religious reasons as to why some parents prefer their kids to be homeschooled. Also, if it's that much of a problem, homeschooled kids can take some sort of extra test before they are allowed into a university to see if they have been taught the right things. The government doesn't have the right to do this.

+29 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

You really have not clue how the home schooling is done do you, this no about a parent teaching whatever they want to their children, in order for the child to get credits for grades they have to pass the state test for their grade level, so the materials use for the home school are state approved.

The difference is that home school children do better than public school ones as they don't have to deal with the crap that goes on in public schools.

learn the facts.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE

How long until this is implemented in all states across the US? I guess they think parents are teaching our children the "wrong" things.

www.naturalnews.com

How do you know that they aren't? This seems entirely reasonable to me, if I were a university I wouldn't accept a kid that went through high school at home getting taught whatever his parents thought were important.

If the kids can pass their SATs or whatever colleges use these days, what difference does it make what else their parents have taught them. My sister homeschools her three youngest and they already excel past what the state requires.

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
State education is essential in child development and programming, without it they will end up with too many free thinking adults in the future.

We need a docile, compliant and obedient society if we are to dominate the world of the future. Homeschooling is dangerous, lacks the required learning that we want your children to have. Get with the program or go to jail... The choice is yours, you are FREE to choose!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

if I were a university I wouldn't accept a kid that went through high school at home getting taught whatever his parents thought were important.

Homeschooled kids are required to take the same tests to get their diplomas as any public or private schooled kid.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Once again ...

I lived in the Peoples Republic of California (PRC) for 15 years. This is part of the reason that one hot summer night 3 years ago my family and I escaped over the border to real freedom and sanity in Nevada.

Most citizens of the PRC seem to believe that any and every problem or issue can be fixed by simply passing a new law or regulation.

Here in Nevada, you can always tell the recent arrivals from the PRC by the way they are always asking if it's OK to do something. Seems like it takes at least a year for them to get over that - if they ever do. Sad.

[edit on 9/23/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

You really have not clue how the home schooling is done do you, this no about a parent teaching whatever they want to their children, in order for the child to get credits for grades they have to pass the state test for their grade level, so the materials use for the home school are state approved.

The difference is that home school children do better than public school ones as they don't have to deal with the crap that goes on in public schools.

learn the facts.

Obviously I've hit a sore spot.

Being a parent doesn't quality you to teach math or science or history, sorry. Guidelines like this are put in place for the kids, the parents seem to think it's all about them.
Some parents probably make decent teachers, a lot don't, why should the kid suffer? Even if he takes a state test, why shouldn't he be given the best possible education? The parents that actually realized this isn't about them, who went to be educated themselves, would put kids through home school getting As, while the rest selfish ones will end up giving their kids C's and D's.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I am a senior in high school right now, attending my school from my home through the internet. This is the first year I've done this and I am already regretting only starting now. I have failed miserably all throughout my high school career despite being, according to my tests, above average intelligence. The difference in my opinion is the environment and how it's run. I can work at my own pace and on my own schedule and not only have my grades gone from F's and D's to A's and B's but I am actually able to learn the concepts that are harder to grasp by going over them again instead of sitting in a classroom spacing out at my desk while the teacher moves on.

That may seem like an infomercial but it's true.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

WHAT? Why not?
I'm a return student (2nd time in college
) who was home schooled in high school and graduated that way. I maintain a 4.0 and will probably graduate with that. Hmmmmm.

And parents who homeschool have curriculum that is approved by whatever state they are in.

Good lord

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I homeschool both of my children. They both read above grade level. My daughter is in "1st grade" and my son is in "2nd grade" technically, but they do very little that is actually at their grade level - they're working above grade level on most things. The science we do is at the 6th grade level, for instance. My plan is that when my kids are 16, I will begin taking them to the community college for math, composition, history, and 100 level science courses. They should have atleast their first year, if not their second year of a 4 year degre, under their belts by the time they're 18. So don't give me any CRAP about how homeschooled children are dumb. Did you know that Ivy League schools actively seek out homeschoolers. Homeschoolers typically test at or above privately schooled children, but they are socially more advanced than most school kids. They are far less likely to fail at college and dropout because they are more self-disciplined, in general.

If the government ever tries to force my kids into school, they are probably going to be misfits that will decide ON THEIR OWN, that it's a crock and they'll not do their school work as a form of protest. That's because they're able to THINK for themselves!!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
HAHA wow you guys must not live in california. Kids here cannot spell, read or even hardly speak english. I guess the Universities are worried home schooled kids are going to be more educated than them. At least home schooled children, know who the president is, Know how to read, do math etc.

Schools in California teach kids how to swear, pose naked on myspace, wear gang colors, disrespect teachers and other students (yes our schools have security guards who roam the campuses).

My daughters were in a "christian" school here in California, and my daughter was coming home so stressed out from the "rich kids" talking about how to be stick thin, and these are 10 year olds! You were not "in" if you didn't wear a thong, holy crap, these are 10 year olds!

Even in christian school, kids are ridiculed, made fun of, alienated. I don't home school my daughter I know my limitations and I know I'm not capable of doing a proper job, but I do have her in a progressive type of school where all of the students work is done online in a one room school house type of setting with 2 teachers to help the children.

Don't mock home schooling unless you have been in California and you are aware of the horrors that go on in our unfunded, unprotected schools.

We constantly hear about teacher who are caught sexually assaulting their students, even in my daughters old school, a well known and well liked male teacher was taking freshly graduated senior students across the California/Mexican border to Tiajuana to party. Yes i helped get him fired. You cannot trust anyone with your children, and maybe just maybe protecting your child from the harm and dangers in our schools is not a bad thing.

**Editing to add** also california schools don't even have enough textbook to give children. How are state run school to educate children without those?

[edit on 23-9-2008 by sheila947]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Being a parent doesn't quality you to teach math or science or history, sorry. Guidelines like this are put in place for the kids, the parents seem to think it's all about them.

OMG. Do you now, or have you ever had your child in a public school in California? You talk about "qualified" teachers. I wish I'd seen some when my kids were in school. No, what they got, for example, were an alcoholic math teacher to the point where the kids could smell it on them when they came to school. A math teacher (from Uganda) that couldn't speak English well enough for the kids to even understand the lessons. An oceanography teacher (from Korea) who also couldn't speak English well enough to be understood, so the senior level class spent their time making fish mobiles (pictures that hang from wires and strings and turn in the air). Or how about an English teacher that screamed at a kid in front of his class for being a racist because he said he didn't agree with what a South African author said in a book they all had to read. BTW, that resulted in the kid being acosted by other kids who had heard that the kid was a "racist" and wanted to beat him up for it.

There are many, many parents that could easily do a better job of teaching their kids than the few examples (out of many) that I've cited above.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is complete overkill! Growing up a lot of my friends and even family members were home schooled. I dont necessarily condone the practice because i feel it can be socially limiting to a child, but to say a parent must be a registered teacher in order to teach their children? Thats BS. Most of my friends who were home schooled knew the material better than did and their mothers or fathers who taught them were no registered.

If you want to make sure home schooled kids are staying up to par and not being home schooled because the parent doesn't want to be responsible and enforce sending their kids to school. Then they should have a system where a home schooled child can test the current curriculum. and if they do well and are average with other schools , or an average score, they may remain being home schooled, but if they do not meet these requirements for lets say two testing periods (or quarters ) then they will be required to attend a school, and be entered into the a grade level at which they are competitive in.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

www.naturalnews.com

Ever heard of the A.C.T. or the S.A.T. These test are relevant to judge the educational back ground of all students.Funny thing is that home schooled students usually score very well in these tests.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Centurian Ill go one further, how about the teachers who are required to Speak spanish in classes and teach english as a 2nd language while the english speaking students are wasting time in a corner while the teacher spends all their time with the "illegal" non-english speaking kids who cant even understand the language?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I can't get my head around why you're essentially arguing you shouldn't need an education in teaching in order to teach your children. Why is that so ridiculous? Again I would think parents would want the best possible education for their children, why wouldn't you then get the proper training to enable that? This proposal in CA is simply stating exactly that, not that home schooling should be outlawed... The logic of your arguments escapes me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join