It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School suspends boy for anti-Obama shirt

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by walkinghomer
So, If my child went to school with a shirt that says, "Republicans, Home of Child Molesters" would you approve that?

I would question YOUR education level for letting your child wear such a stupid tee shirt as that statement doesn't even make real sense.

We get it though - you're trying to take a line from the national anthem, "...home of the brave", twist it to fit your own ideological weirdness as some lame example.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by walkinghomer

On a theoretical level. No.

On a practical level, I see it this way:

This is really pretty simple-- if you're concerned about political speech in school, then why the hell did they actually ask the children to "show their patriotism for the United States"????

Get it?

[edit on 23-9-2008 by loam]

I don't think the school expected that form of patriotism. If I were at that age I would take it as, tell us why you love your country through words or art using red white and blue.
What that Kid was doing was spreading fear that a person who could possibly be our next President is friends with people who attacked and killed innocent Americans on 911..

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
You don't have freedom of speech at school. You don't have privacy rights either. It's school. You can't curse, scream fire, so forth. Your locker and bag can be searched at random.

So the school did nothing wrong.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I agree, as a parent you should stick up for your child. You did the right thing in going to the school board for a teacher that tosses politicized teaching at our kids, right or left. It's fantastic to see adults firmly in charge of their kid's well being. This is exactly what the father of the kid in the OP should have done.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by round_eyed_dog]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
In kindergarten I have to repeat this political mantra everyday and if I do not I will have to goto the Principal... Nevermind the fact that at the age of 6 I do not know all the words I am forced to say every day:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the united states of america, and to the republic , for which it stands, one nation under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Words a 6 year does not understand:allegiance, republic, indivisible, maybe the whole damn thing...

Now by the time your 11 you should know all these words in the pledge and what they mean. After all you should of already said them over 10,000 times. With understanding of words like these comes some basic political understanding. Political concepts like liberty and allegiance... In schools kids are supposed to be able to learn to express themselves civilly in a safe environment.

Some children are less concerned with the bigger world. They were shirts like "I'm a hotty" or "Stone Cold 3:14" and kids like that have no idea what any word in the pledge means but concern themselves more with Hanna Montana and square bob sponge pants.

Other kids can define every word in the pledge watch the news with their parents and were shirts that express their political opinions.

I know from experience because I was one of the later types when I was a kid. My parents never had a thing to do with it. They encouraged me from a stance of neutrality to learn what I could about all sides and to then form my own opinion.

If you think we should not enjoy the constitutional right of freedom of expression in school please ask the teachers to remove their political bumper stickers and to stop expressing their political opinions...while we are at it the subject of history is colored with politics so we had better eliminate history from the curriculum too(sarc).

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SPOOKYSINNER666

While I am by no means an Obama supporter, please add more to the discussion than what little you currently are.

Thank You.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Glad you got a kick out of that. I kind of busted myself up writing it. It is just so funny to picture a cartoon version of that.

My kids go to private school and they wear uniforms. I get your point about freedom of expression, but when they get home they put on whatever they want and express themselves. The thing of getting a good education out weighs the lack of freedom for me. Plus it makes mornings easier because there big choice is do I wear blue or khaki. Also, it keeps the cost of school clothes down, because they dont come home and say I need SeanJohn clothes because Becky has them, So good for me, but maybe they wouldnt agree
They seem to like it. I think because it helps them feel like they fit in.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I got one...

Conservatives:
We put the Hip in Hypocrisy!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by walkinghomer

If the kid or his parents trully believe that Obama is weak on Terrorism then I see it as partiotic to wear that shirt. I dont think it was meant to be taken literally. I doubt they were saying he is sitting around a bong with these guys. They are just saying his policies are weak on terrorism from their point of view.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy
I got one...

Conservatives:

Nice one I like that. How about:

Congress:
We put the CON in Congress.

or

Federal Government:
Pissing your tax dollars away since 1913.

or

Compassionate Liberals:
Whining our way to a better world one whine at a time.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Kudos to the OP, This is a good topic. I am so sick of the way our schools have become, Forgive if I get a bit heated...however I get very agitated when I read this stuff about children getting sent home from school or suspended. When I was in grade school we played dodgeball and had the occasional fight but we were kids, Now I dont even see kids outside playing anymore, I understand that there are horrible monsters out there that pray on children and they should be dealt with accordingly and parents are afraid to lose line of sight on their kids and I respect that but we all know most are inside playing xbox or on the internet or watching that crap MTV. These kids have no outlet to release their energy, Its all bottled up and as for the anti obama shirt, so what!!! Its freedom of speech as long as its not vulgar why cant the kid wear it?.Maybe the kid is real into politics and like McCains speeches .The schools supervisors are taking away everything we stood for as kids, what do they want a bunch of drones for students?.Students who show up and do their work?.What do they want a bunch of non thinkers with no insight and want them to be passive .I have never even heard of ADD when I was in school, I know of 5th grade students on prozac and things like that..are you kidding me!!

[edit on 23-9-2008 by cmd18B]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cmd18B

Yeah and what about all the sports now where nobody wins because it might hurt the kids on the loosing teams feelings. What is even the point. I encourage my kids to be competitive. Its how you get better and help other people strive to be better. Its evolution baby.

LOL baby not referring to you but just a generalization ala Dick Vitale. I didnt want to hurt anyones feelings

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I got one...

Conservatives:

Guess you did.

Just like -
Liberals:
We put the Dum in Democrat!

Only problem is that only people who never learned to spell would be likely to get it.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Only problem is that only people who never learned to spell would be likely to get it.

Like all the Wal-Mart shoppin' NASCAR fans? The ones who "cling to god and guns"??

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Like all the Wal-Mart shoppin' NASCAR fans? The ones who "cling to god and guns"??

This is kinda fun.. Maybe we should start a thread on Marketing slogans to insult other people. If you decide to do it, count me in.

Oh and just to show some compassion... the NASCAR fans cant help it. All those gas fumes damaged their cognitive abilities.

How about NASCAR
National
Association of
Car
Addicted
Rednecks

lol, just to show I am not biased in slamming Conservatives or Liberals

I love shopping at Wal Mart. Those falling prices turn me on. So may be you can think of something to slam me on.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

Correct me if I am wrong (which I am not) but didn't we have a whole forum full of defenders when the slogan was anti-Bush?

Now that it is anti-Obama we have all the "Parents suck" and "School rights trump" bull...

I find this highly amusing.

Personally I think all schools should be "uniform" to avoid all this crap and the crap that comes with "looking" a certain way but this one shows the true colors of liberals.

Ok to give, not ok to get.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Oh I got one.. This is a gem.

Pictue a t-shirt

On the front:
It takes a village to raise a child.

On the back:
A village full of people willing to beat and shame a person who is too selfish to properly raise their own children.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

No, more like the candidate that says that in California to gain pandering points, then comes to Pennsylvania and says the opposite because he finally understands that he's now talking to the people he was putting down in his CA comments. And more like the elitist, opera-watching, europe-loving, sushi-eating supporters of that candidate who never quite get it that their candidate is nothing more tha a pandering, inexperienced, empty suit.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Can someone help me make this into a t-shirt?

i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80/Alxandro/GoMama.gif

Ah never mind.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Alxandro]

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Alxandro]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Somebody needs to explain to me how associating a presidential candidate with terrorism is patriotic. If he wore a shirt that said something good about McCain it would be different, but that is just a bit extreme. Honestly we all know it came from the parents, or at least what the parents are pounding into this kid's head. As if an 11 year old has even remotely close to the knowledge on politics to wear a shirt like that. Schools should not allow political T-shirts and the likes, much like how most jobs do not. Patriotism is fine, but hate is not. Funny how this election (and most others lately) have been purely based on hatred of the other candidate instead of support for your own. Quite pathetic actually. Leave the kids out of politics. There's absolutely no reason to get them involved in that type of hatred, I don't care which candidate you support.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Barcs]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join